• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 |OT|

Piecake

Does anyone else get crashes and disconnects for the pc version, or is it just me? Definitely not my internet connection since I am listening to a radio stream right now

Glix

Can you still not choose what mana to tap in this version? I can't imagine playing this instead of drafting on MTGO, but if someone thinks I'm wrong, please sell me on DOTP

I find myself wishing that Dwarves were more prevalent in Magic. Alot of my favorite fantasy races/monsters are never present or just suck.

Does any else find this to lessen their enjoyment of the game somewhat? I'm perfectly happy playing a competent deck stacked with my favorite fantasy races & monsters over a tricky deck that dominates tournaments.

I feel I'm the exact type of Magic player this game was originally intended for before all the expert gamer/obsessive types got their way with deck designs.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I find myself wishing that Dwarves were more prevalent in Magic. Alot of my favorite fantasy races/monsters are never present or just suck.

Does any else find this to lessen their enjoyment of the game somewhat? I'm perfectly happy playing a competent deck stacked with my favorite fantasy races & monsters over a tricky deck that dominates tournaments.

I feel I'm the exact type of Magic player this game was originally intended for before all the expert gamer/obsessive types got their way with deck designs.
Nah, I'm not that way at all, a large part of why I play is for the fantasy flavor. I think the game excels at that actually, they have such varied and creative environments.

I just want a alot more Dwarves, Gnomes, Ogre's, and just a variety of fantasy things I loved from my days playing 2nd edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons.

edit: I could see a Tinker Gnomish equipment deck working.

red13th

This game is so goddamn addicting.
Had a sick day and felt like playing this a bit, I went to bed at 4AM. I want more expansions already.
Tezz deck seems a bit like a mess but I wanna give it a run. Unlocked all of Garruk (chaff) and Gideon (Baneslayer Angel is ridiculous).

AcridMeat said:
Archenemy is so stupid...

I start making a comeback against Kiora, and of course they get the scheme that lets them control ALL OF MY CREATURES.

lol wait until you get to nichol bolas. If you don't cheese your way past him than your dam lucky.

SapientWolf said:
How do the life giving artifacts suck?

The main rule a newbie should learn is that the only hitpoint that truly matters it their last one. It is far more valuable to damage your opponent than it is to heal yourself in almost all situations. A strategy built around life gain is not a good one, nor is it good to invest resources into healing.

Sober

Obsessed said:
The main rule a newbie should learn is that the only hitpoint that truly matters it their last one. It is far more valuable to damage your opponent than it is to heal yourself in almost all situations. A strategy built around life gain is not a good one, nor is it good to invest resources into healing.
Yeah, back when I started, I was completely all about trying to gain life, and I was always confused why people thought all those black cards that trade life for drawing cards was so good, and then I finally learned why card advantage was so important and felt so stupid.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Obsessed said:

Sober said:
Yeah, back when I started, I was completely all about trying to gain life, and I was always confused why people thought all those black cards that trade life for drawing cards was so good, and then I finally learned why card advantage was so important and felt so stupid.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely keep that in mind! :p

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Obsessed said:
Is it possible to use life gain to facilitate other legitimate strategies?

Ronabo

I beat the Archenemy using triple mono blue. Works very well. Having multiple the usual turn four 5/5 fliers that get bigger just about every turn with counter spells is good.

The Technomancer

SapientWolf said:
Is it possible to use life gain to facilitate other legitimate strategies?
Passive life gain can be good. Soul Warden and Essence Warden are playable cards in the right decks (I personally make very good use of Essence Warden in my Saproling Insanity deck), and the life-gain artifacts do see some play. But anything active, anything that costs significant mana or card advantage for life gain, pretty much sucks. Its just a matter of priorities: your cards should be spent getting your opponent closer to death, not defensively holding him off.

In general defensive strategies are very risky. It can work, I've ridden a few defensive decks that depended on waiting until I got some very good, game winning cards out. But the problem with that is that the more turns you hold your opponents off waiting for your good stuff is more turns for them to also draw into their good stuff.

I'm sort of wishing that they'd patch in Move support so I can have something akin to a mouse to select/look at cards. Too much time with MTGO, I guess.

daevv

Ronabo said:
I beat the Archenemy using triple mono blue. Works very well. Having multiple the usual turn four 5/5 fliers that get bigger just about every turn with counter spells is good.

That's what I did aswell. Was surprisingly easy.

What I don't like is that all the Decks icons have been replaced with generic "D12". It should've been an option to display original place as well, in case other Magic players want to tinker with the cards IRL.

orion434

Castor Krieg said:
So funny, Stoneforge Mystic got banned in Standard last night. But you can still enjoy it in your Planeswalkers deck! :p

Wow can't believe they banned Stoneforge, that card is busted though. In DotP I play the White Equipment deck and if I draw the Stoneforge it's basically over.

y2dvd

It's impossible for me to get Archenemy going with 2 strangers. Computer never mulligans and usually makes idiotic moves. Think I will have to resort to just doing local and play as all 3 characters lol.

Shoogoo

y2dvd said:
It's impossible for me to get Archenemy going with 2 strangers. Computer never mulligans and usually makes idiotic moves. Think I will have to resort to just doing local and play as all 3 characters lol.

Or ask a couple of gaffers :)

red13th

rayner said:
Wow can't believe they banned Stoneforge, that card is busted though. In DotP I play the White Equipment deck and if I draw the Stoneforge it's basically over.

Yeah, once I had a turn 4 Kor Duelist with Argentum Armor (thanks to Stoneforge Mystic and the equipping Kor dude). It was pretty cool.

njr

Duels 2012 is a vast improvement over the last one since the original decks felt bland. I'm currently addicted to the starter deck, haven't played anything else yet.

Shoogoo

y2dvd said:
LOL are you or any other gaffers down for Archenemy sometime? Trying to beat Campaign and unlock cards so my deck won't be the best. ;[

I've got one hour right now, if you want!

edit: Wait, 360 or PS3?

The Technomancer

y2dvd said:
LOL are you or any other gaffers down for Archenemy sometime? Trying to beat Campaign and unlock cards so my deck won't be the best. ;[
If you're on PC I'd be down anytime today, either right now or in six hours

Dr_Peace

Banned
I played the first one, beat the campaign and never touched it again.

It boggles my mind you can't make a custom deck, you could do that with Pokemon: Trading Card Game on the original Gameboy in 1998...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
rexor0717 said:
If I were to buy the game now, would I still get my promo card?

Yes.

You're thinking 2009, which's promo has ended. 2012 will be a year promo like 2009.

Sober

y2dvd said:
Yeah, maybe later this evening or something. I'd love to try some Archenemy online. Still haven't unlocked all the cards. Finished the WW deck but the illusion mono blue is almost done.

If you have to, you can always just set up a custom game (offline) and beat the AI there; it'll unlock cards either way, except they don't really do a good job of telling you what unlocked. It's still in order, they just don't display the cards.

You've got to love their piece of shit code redeeming site. I tried to redeem my xbox code last week and whatever browser I used, it would freeze in the middle of my registering. Now, if I try to redeem my code, it says the code has been used and if I want to do anything about it, I have to make an international phone call.

Nice.

Shoogoo

Palette Swap said:
You've got to love their piece of shit code redeeming site. I tried to redeem my xbox code last week and whatever browser I used, it would freeze in the middle of my registering. Now, if I try to redeem my code, it says the code has been used and if I want to do anything about it, I have to make an international phone call.

Nice.

Same here. What a waste of time.

Hero

If you guys are having an issue with the code (I was) then just e-mail them. They e-mailed me the image directly to print out and redeem.

delume

Phreaker said:
Cheers! The only thing stopping me from buying cards is the fact no one plays magic around here. Thank god because the last thing I need a second expensive hobby. At least this game is doing a good job at scratching the itch. Had a quick look at the Magic thread in Off-Topic and swiftly aborted. Shit was getting real in there. 0.o

The Technomancer

delume said:
Cheers! The only thing stopping me from buying cards is the fact no one plays magic around here. Thank god because the last thing I need a second expensive hobby. At least this game is doing a good job at scratching the itch. Had a quick look at the Magic thread in Off-Topic and swiftly aborted. Shit was getting real in there. 0.o
Haha, last night was a really important night, they announced that they were banning two of the most powerful cards in Standard. We're normally much more chill people :p

jiggles

Banned
Alright, GAF. I'm a total card game newbie. I got the last Magic game on PS+ and I've been kinda hooked on it, but I'm playing it on the easiest setting, and I can only seem to win duels with the Green deck. I've got halfway through the Campaign, and I want to know if I should just drop it and move on to 2012, or stick with the older game and try to get a lot better before deciding whether to go for the new one?

I don't want to put all the time into getting good at the old game only to find out I missed the boat with the new one, but at the same time, I don't want to rush into the new game to find out I'm in over my head.

What say ye, GAF?

Oh, also, which format should I go for? I prefer playing on my PS3, but if the majority of the scene is really more on PC or Xbox, I'd go for either of those.

jigglywiggly said:
Oh, also, which format should I go for? I prefer playing on my PS3, but if the majority of the scene is really more on PC or Xbox, I'd go for either of those.

Yesterday there were approx. 24k people on PS3 leaderboards. I think it's going to have a healthy community no matter which version you buy. However, some modes are very hard to start e.g. because of Archenemy achievement, almost nobody will join your game if you are the host. I think the mode will be way more popular after a couple of weeks, when everyone will be done with that stupid achievement/trophy.

I tore through the campaign today.

Karn's deck is ridiculous. I managed to beat him on the third try, though, basically completely lucky. First try I used the all black deck, which just got roasted. Then I did the green/blue land-draw deck and managed to keep him in a stalemate for a ton of rounds, until he got out two Clockwork Dragons and made swift work of me in two turns. I had just gotten out the legendary 12/12 with annihilator on it, too. That burned. I was upset, but the third try I used the Machinations deck and got extremely lucky. +1/+1 counter dude + the metalcraft flier made me awesome, plus Karn didn't put out a single creature. He was dead in five turns. Extremely freaking lucky.

Now I'm trying Archenemy. This game is really giving me an itch to take a look at some new cards and maybe catch up with my friends who play Magic. Hm.

The Technomancer

jigglywiggly said:
Alright, GAF. I'm a total card game newbie. I got the last Magic game on PS+ and I've been kinda hooked on it, but I'm playing it on the easiest setting, and I can only seem to win duels with the Green deck. I've got halfway through the Campaign, and I want to know if I should just drop it and move on to 2012, or stick with the older game and try to get a lot better before deciding whether to go for the new one?

I don't want to put all the time into getting good at the old game only to find out I missed the boat with the new one, but at the same time, I don't want to rush into the new game to find out I'm in over my head.
I think you should be fine either way, both games are designed as introductory products. If you jump on the new one then you can play with us though :p

Speaking if which, who else in PC-GAF wants to start playing "regularly" (or even at all?)

Phreaker

Castor Krieg said:
Yesterday there were approx. 24k people on PS3 leaderboards. I think it's going to have a healthy community no matter which version you buy.

FWIW, I just looked and there were more than 87k on 360 for Magic 2012 Leaderboard.

Edit: now over 88,000.

An-Det

I'm trying to do the Kiss of Death challenge, and not being able to tap lands and choose targets for Hunters Feast makes this significantly more difficult than it should be. What I want to do is Hunters Feast so Sorin and me gains 6. Then Legacy's Allure his Death's Shadow (was 1/1, now is 8/8 under my control). Then Pyroclasm and Flash Slash Liliana's Ogre, we all lose 3 life (I go to 4, Sorin at 9), so Shadow is a 9/9 unblockable, and I swing for the kill.

I've looked at online solutions, and mine seems much simpler since I dont have to giant growth or sacrifice Fires. This is the first time in a while the land tapping thing has really annoyed me.

Top Bottom