• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 |OT|

I finally completed all puzzles and the campaigns. The friendly AI in archenemy sure is stupid. It's a nice improvement from the previous version, but I'm not too fond of the included decks. It would be nice with a few more control decks and maybe even a combo deck. I'll definitely throw my money at the inevitable expansions.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Xapati said:
One thing that annoys me is each deck has those terrible life giving artifacts again. If they are already streamlining the gameplay for beginners they should not give you cards that should never be put in any deck ever.

They're good in real-play, but in this they're fucking terrible as you have no "destroy artifact" cards for the other colors besides Black.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Xapati said:
One thing that annoys me is each deck has those terrible life giving artifacts again. If they are already streamlining the gameplay for beginners they should not give you cards that should never be put in any deck ever.
Deliberate design decision. Part of the reason why they print cards like that is so that new players can go through the process of discovering that something they thought was good actually sucks. There's a lot of psychology behind a lot of their weird choices.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The_Technomancer said:
Deliberate design decision. Part of the reason why they print cards like that is so that new players can go through the process of discovering that something they thought was good actually sucks. There's a lot of psychology behind a lot of their weird choices.
How do the life giving artifacts suck?

The Technomancer

SapientWolf said:
How do the life giving artifacts suck?
Eh, I shouldn't say suck. They can be decent, but they're not nearly as good as people think at first blush. Life gain in general is a poor strategy, but at least these are passive.

sorry if this has been discussed before but am i the only one really irritated about the fact that you and the opponent can see what deck you'll be using. i had a host that was changing his deck to the same as mine multiple times...

Shoogoo

Aside from the U/G, U and W deck, I don't like any of the decks.

Both mono R really sucks and that makes me sad, I'm a sucker for red. Sarkhan's deck can be made more efficient if you remove the black cards imho. When you see the black cards they gave to this deck it really make you think they just put some shit to have a B/R deck instead of 3 mono R.

delume

Are there any good summaries of each deck? I am interested in getting an overview of each decks basic strengths and weaknesses. Thanks.

Ronabo

Americanmushroom said:
sorry if this has been discussed before but am i the only one really irritated about the fact that you and the opponent can see what deck you'll be using. i had a host that was changing his deck to the same as mine multiple times...

Yeah they're gonna have to fix that. I've also been kicked because I picked a certain deck.

Piecake

God, I freakin hate the black deck. Everyone and his mother seems to either play that or Blue/Green. I think i have like a 5% winning percentage against black. Blue green is about half and half, so that really doesnt bug me too much, just wish there was a bit more variety in decks. Seems like everyone is going for the OP decks (I play white btw)

tch

Pretty cool. I really like the puzzle-like challenge mode. If anyone isn't going to use their promo code for the titan card and wants to PM it to me I'd appreciate it!

kirblar

The_Technomancer said:
Eh, I shouldn't say suck. They can be decent, but they're not nearly as good as people think at first blush. Life gain in general is a poor strategy, but at least these are passive.
The only good one is the red one, when playing against a red burn-centered deck, since it essentially takes 1 damage off every one of their spells.

They're bad because the game is about controlling the game state, and just gaining life really just doesn't "do anything" in most cases.

Shoogoo

kirblar said:
The only good one is the red one, when playing against a red burn-centered deck, since it essentially takes 1 damage off every one of their spells.

They're bad because the game is about controlling the game state, and just gaining life really just doesn't "do anything" in most cases.

I would add that having them all when going with 3 same decks on Archenemy is a good idea too. 3 Mono blue illusions wreckage + that kraken eye thing is pretty decent, you usually get 4-5 life points a turn.

Rafaelcsa

Guys, I can't figure out how to install this game (I'm on PS3). I have DotP 2011 already (with a couple exp packs) and have just bought the 2012 after activating PS Plus off the Welcome Back program. I downloaded the 6kb game unlock. No new game icon was created for DotP 2012 in the XMB games list, so I figured it just works as an add-on to the 2011 version. But when I go to it, it's just the same old game I already had.

I tried re-downloading the game unlock a few times, tried doing this through the Download Content menu option on DotP 2011 and it doesn't change a thing. I can't figure out how to play the damn game. It's probably something really dumb I'm doing, but I don't know what. Anyone able to help me out?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Rafaelcsa said:
Guys, I can't figure out how to install this game (I'm on PS3). I have DotP 2011 already (with a couple exp packs) and have just bought the 2012 after activating PS Plus off the Welcome Back program. I downloaded the 6kb game unlock. No new game icon was created for DotP 2012 in the XMB games list, so I figured it just works as an add-on to the 2011 version. But when I go to it, it's just the same old game I already had.

I tried re-downloading the game unlock a few times, tried doing this through the Download Content menu option on DotP 2011 and it doesn't change a thing. I can't figure out how to play the damn game. It's probably something really dumb I'm doing, but I don't know what. Anyone able to help me out?
You need to download the demo as well as the unlock.

Rafaelcsa

Emerson said:
You need to download the demo as well as the unlock.

Thanks, I knew it'd be something simple like that. Still, not at all intuitive. I just bought the full game. Why do I have to download a demo for it!? Ugh

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Rafaelcsa said:

*facepalm* No, it doesn't. You know assumptions? Don't do that.

Donwload 2012 and the unlock key.

Daigoro

Dunlop said:
downloading now, did they fix the rage quitting issue?

(no credit if the person dc's right before his loss)

they fixed this in the first game. still get credit for quitters in 2012 too.

Rapstah

I played the demo and liked that white set with equipment focus. Felt great to suddenly have a 6/6 flying first strike double strike dude out of nowhere to decapitate the AI guy.

Dunlop

Daigoro said:
they fixed this in the first game. still get credit for quitters in 2012 too.

thanks , my gold membership ran out about a week after I purchased the original.

Picked it up on PS3 this time

I seemed to have missed it in the tutorial..when do I use the regen ability? I dont have the option to freeze time after the damage is done...before hand?

The Technomancer

Dunlop said:
thanks , my gold membership ran out about a week after I purchased the original.

Picked it up on PS3 this time

I seemed to have missed it in the tutorial..when do I use the regen ability? I dont have the option to freeze time after the damage is done...before hand?
Yes. The actual rules for regeneration are "the next time this creature would be put into the graveyard from play, tap it and remove all damage from it instead", and no-one gets priority between damage being dealt and a creature dying, its instantaneous, so you have to activate it before damage is done.

Sober

The_Technomancer said:
Yes. The actual rules for regeneration are "the next time this creature would be put into the graveyard from play, tap it and remove all damage from it instead", and no-one gets priority between damage being dealt and a creature dying, its instantaneous, so you have to activate it before damage is done.
My only gripe in combat is sometime I'm not paying attention what stage of combat it is (all it says is "Combat"; worse if I can't block, it just rolls right by and I miss the stage prior to combat damage assignments), because I have sometimes dozed off and ended up with a situation I didn't want because the delineation of combat steps is a little murky.

coopolon

The_Technomancer said:

This has always confused the hell out of me with the first duels.

For people on PC, does it have the correct 360 controller button prompts?

Oreoleo

Sober said:
My only gripe in combat is sometime I'm not paying attention what stage of combat it is (all it says is "Combat"; worse if I can't block, it just rolls right by and I miss the stage prior to combat damage assignments), because I have sometimes dozed off and ended up with a situation I didn't want because the delineation of combat steps is a little murky.

This is one area where the first Planeswalkers is better than the sequel. In the original I felt like the different phases of each players turn were a little more obvious than they are here. If this game was someone's first foray into Magic I can see how it would be a little confusing or overwhelming.

Oh man, Illusion deck is a blast to play. Just returned 10 Jura's creatures to his hand with Evacuation right when he wanted to attack me :D

daevv

Castor Krieg said:
Oh man, Illusion deck is a blast to play. Just returned 10 Jura's creatures to his hand with Evacuation right when he wanted to attack me :D

I used all 3 decks as that one during the Archenemy campaign. Took alittle of the cheap cpu sting away.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I had the CPU ally cast evacuation right before I kill the archenemy because it was low on HP which handed the game away because thing had so much land/spells it just summoned about 15 units back

Tomcat

With so much cheating from the AI in this game i dont know if i have to cry or to laugh :lol:
And the archenemy mode is awful

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Garruk just cast fresh meat (Put a 3/3 green Beast creature token onto the battlefield for each creature put into your graveyard from the battlefield this turn). No creatures had been put into the graveyard. lol

Tomcat said:
With so much cheating from the AI in this game i dont know if i have to cry or to laugh :lol:
And the archenemy mode is awful
I still haven't noticed any cheating, but the archenemy mode is significantly more difficult than the other modes.

AcridMeat

Banned
Archenemy co-op, we're attacking to end the game, and the fucking thing freezes up saying one of us is watching something that isn't taking place. Fuck you game.

Xapati

The_Technomancer said:

Interesting, I never thought of it in that way.

Also, I've been wondering, what happens when you use mind control on a creature that has equipment, can your opponent still control the equipment, as in can he unattach it from the creature you took control over?

Piecake

Quick question about the white deck. Is the Archangel of Strife actually any good or does it suck like I think it does? Baneslayer and the Serras seem a whole lot more useful and cheaper, and Archangel's ability pretty much seems like a wash, unless you have a crap ton of creature cards on the table and your opponent has few, but that really doesnt go with the styles ive been using and I cant really think of a match where Id find that ability all that useful

The Technomancer

Gonaria said:
Quick question about the white deck. Is the Archangel of Strife actually any good or does it suck like I think it does? Baneslayer and the Serras seem a whole lot more useful and cheaper, and Archangel's ability pretty much seems like a wash, unless you have a crap ton of creature cards on the table and your opponent has few, but that really doesnt go with the styles ive been using and I cant really think of a match where Id find that ability all that useful
The Archangel was printed for Commander, and it shows, its ability works better in a multiplayer context.

Xapati

The_Technomancer said:
Thanks for the link!

Gonaria said:

She is pretty good imo, you get a 9/6 flier, not all that much can stand up to that and there is a good chance she can kill your opponent the following turn. Furthermore, if you have more creatures than your opponent you're at an advantage.

Is Baneslayer the better card? Yeah, but you only get one Baneslayer.

Plus the Archangel's artwork is just cool
dat ass

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
divisionbyzorro said:
So does the artifact deck (Machinations) get better with unlocks? Because as it starts, I can't get anything going with it...

It's slow and vulnerable to removal/burn; you need the +1/+1 counter guy or master of etherium to make anything happen, really, so if those get taken out or you don't draw them you're usually toast.

I've enjoyed the challenge of going through the campaign with it though.

AcridMeat

Banned
Archenemy is so stupid...

I start making a comeback against Kiora, and of course they get the scheme that lets them control ALL OF MY CREATURES.

Pride

Tryckser said:
finally beat Karn, goddamit. Was 1 loss away from turning down the difficulty level to normal...

Karn was tough for me as well. He stomped me several times when I tried using the "Unquelchable Fire" deck. I went back to the Wielding Steel Deck (my favorite deck). I unlocked the whole deck and made sure to use the Artifact killer cards (forget the name).

Top Bottom