• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 |OT|

Gowans

it will be interesting to track each one over time to compare platform sales. I think this game is about as level a playing field as you can get for audience.

So as of today:

360: 101, 259 (playing now) -wonder if it has to do with old game releasing first here?
PC: 60,000 (leaderboard issues)
PS3: 35,000

The 360 game also got front page advertising. Every single Gold member saw an ad for this game the moment they turned on their Xbox for about a week.

Chauncy Talon said:
Can somebody explain why this version is better then the original?

• 10 new decks (the main draw)
  • More flexible deck editing
  • Noticeably faster loads (still kinda slow though)
  • Less lag in online play
  • Better interface (IMO).

It's evolutionary, not revolutionary, and the main reason to buy it is the new decks and cards that you get.

jiggles

Banned
y2dvd said:
What were the stats like for other psn game released around the same time? Just wondering if it has anything to do with the psn lately.

I think it's probably down to the fact that every PSN user just got the first one for free only a week before.

Takuan

Gowans007 said:
it will be interesting to track each one over time to compare platform sales. I think this game is about as level a playing field as you can get for audience.

So as of today:

360: 101, 259 (playing now) -wonder if it has to do with old game releasing first here?
PC: 60,000 (leaderboard issues)
PS3: 35,000
Could be that the 360 version comes with the most popular promo. Grave Titan is awesomesauce.

What jiggly posted is on-point, too. Why pay $8 when you can get essentially the same thing for free? To a player looking to try this out for the first time, all the decks are new.

Blu10

Chauncy Talon said:
Can somebody explain why this version is better then the original?

Deck editing... this is #1 for me

10 New decks, and these decks for the most part have synergy. Where as the old decks felt like they were just 80+ cards strewn together

The added multiplayer options are great. I can now play 2 headed giant with 3 friends over live

I personally think the single player campaign is a huge upgrade from the old one

Blu10

Takuan said:
Could be that the 360 version comes with the most popular promo. Grave Titan is awesomesauce.

I have no intention of using my promo, so anyone who wants it is free to have it. 360 here, but it will have to wait till I get home from work.

I'm about to purchase the game on 360 and would gladly accept that promo if still available

edit: oh wait it's not an in-game card? never mind but thanks!

I hope they add some new cards to unlock for the mono green deck. I think some fun enchanments and some better buffs/crtters are in order. It is an okay deck but it isn't mega fun to play IMO.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Blu10 said:
I have no intention of using my promo, so anyone who wants it is free to have it. 360 here, but it will have to wait till I get home from work.

Uh, I'd love you forever for that promo.

red13th

I'm unlocking Koth's deck (god what a dreadful deck) and I had the nicest stroke of bad luck I've had in this game so far. I lost to Sorin at least 3 times because he kept drawing those GODDAMNED unblockable creeps. I best him eventually and unlocked... a bunch of crummy life gaining artifacts. Cool. Then I tried Nissa and WOW. I had no mana for the first SIX games (I counted them). Three games in a row I was stuck on 2 Mountains. I ended up beating her by dumb luck of the draw, at like 2 life.
Now I'm playing Kiora after beating Nissa and two games so far, two games with no mana. This second game was funny because my starting hand was ironically enough 7 Mountains. I obviously got a new one and that one had no Mountains. I love this game.

I took the Black/Green deck and turned it into a mono green Elf deck. Not bad.

Too bad I've never been big on Elves in literature, movies, games, etc.lol

DasRaven

Just finished the 1v1 campaigns on Planeswalker. I went straight through both with Wielding Steel. That was far easier than expected.

I only lost 2 duels, one to Jace's hexproof illusions by turn 3 (beaten) and one to Karn's turn 2 Darksteel Colossus (restarted).
On the final duel of Revenge, Karn got the Mox out turn 1 and played nothing but land for the next 4 turns.
Then Tinkered for the Colossus the round before I killed him. That AI is absolutely cheating.

Overall, I'd say this was easier than MTG09, but the AI is definitely smarter (for example, no multiple regens for no reason).
The ability to tune the deck makes all the difference. I'm looking forward to unlocking and tuning the other decks to see their true potential.

The first 8 turns of archenemy are incredibly tense. I hate it. Almost without fail, i will tell myself this mode is impossible within that period. It took me 7 tries to beat the fucking vampire guy.

Jakeh111

Got this game when it came out havent played Magic in like 14 years. So I play the tutorial match and then go into my first game.... 20 or so games later I have yet to beat the first guy... I have tried both starter decks, put the game on easy mode also. I have gotten the dude down to like 1hp, 2hp, 3hp... I feel like the AI is somewhat a cheat and other times I get him down to a few hp and out of no where he gets some good card draws and wrecks me in like 2 attacks. So what Im trying to say is anyone got some pointers, lol?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ronabo said:
So is Mox Sapphire in M12? Or is putting it in the game a nice way to show people something powerfull.
HahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH no way they're printing Mox Sapphire in 2012. Its considered one of the nine most brokenly powerful cards ever printed. Its just to make Karn seem like a badass.

Ronabo said:
So is Mox Sapphire in M12? Or is putting it in the game a nice way to show people something powerfull.
I doubt it since it's way too powerful. Tinker and Darksteel Colossus are also too good to both be in Standard at the same time.

Phreaker

Jakeh111 said:
Got this game when it came out havent played Magic in like 14 years. So I play the tutorial match and then go into my first game.... 20 or so games later I have yet to beat the first guy... I have tried both starter decks, put the game on easy mode also. I have gotten the dude down to like 1hp, 2hp, 3hp... I feel like the AI is somewhat a cheat and other times I get him down to a few hp and out of no where he gets some good card draws and wrecks me in like 2 attacks. So what Im trying to say is anyone got some pointers, lol?

Either you have very bad luck, or you are not playing it "right". When I put the difficulty down to Mage I don't think I ever lost a match in campaign. I beat the whole campaign with the white starter deck to unlock all the cards.

blackflag

I beat the campaign with the White deck. It was pretty easy. The deck is decent. I then started going through with U/G and that deck is really fun. It took me many tries to beat the blue illusion deck on revenge planeswalker. I wasn't making mistakes, it just seemed the AI got perfect draws constantly.

I started messing with the blue illusion deck and I really like it. You definitely need several unlocks before it gets good though. This may be the one I use online once I finish unlocking everything. Control was always my favorite and this has enough counters and bounce cards to turn it in to a nice weenie/control hybrid.

Castor Krieg said:
Did anyone also get "Invalid Code" while trying to register for Promo Card? Now all my tries are gone, what am I supposed to do now?
You have to contact customer support and they'll send you a PDF. I haven't bothered with it yet.

tebunker

Banned
This will get you all the D12 decks with Unlockable cards:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/digital/duelsoftheplaneswalkers.aspx?x=mtg/digital/d12/decks#kiora

Love the Ancient Depths deck. It's consistent, has mana-ramping, big mean mythic monsters and great card draw. There is a lot of value in the cards played in Ancient Depths. Coiling Oracle is one of the better cards ever printed it just oozes value. I love cheating out a huge Eldrazi and smashing face the next turn.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I need to unlock more decks I guess. I only have Wielding Steel and Ancient Depths unlocked completely. In something like 30 multiplayer matches the other opponent selected either Blood Hunger or Dragon's Roar ~80% of the time, three times Guardians of the Wood, twice Unquenchable Fire, one Ancient Depths. Not sure if Blood Hunger is so popular because its a counter or its being overused. Guess I'll see after I unlock some other stuff.

Piecake

these game crashes are really annoying. I was in an absurdly long 2v2 battle (we were 2 white and they were two blue - it took a while). We were finally starting to turn it around, but then my freaking game crashed. So annoying

Game is buggy as hell, I keep on getting random hangs where the music just plays but you can't select anything nor even access th xmb on the ps3. Is it possible to get ylod due to games crashing?

Anyhoo, if there's a GAF group for this game, add me up PSN: Alien_Manobo

Idesofmarch

Neo Member
I'm having trouble beating Jace Beleran in the campaign, any suggestions on what deck I should be using?

Playing on archmage by the way

Santiako

Anyone who wants to play on XBLA add me, my gamertag is the same as my username. I'm tired of smashing the ia.

edit: btw, why on earth is there a Darksteel Collossus on Tezzeret's deck? You have no way of playing that! o_O

Piecake

Santiako said:
Anyone who wants to play on XBLA add me, my gamertag is the same as my username. I'm tired of smashing the ia.

edit: btw, why on earth is there a Darksteel Collossus on Tezzeret's deck? You have no way of playing that! o_O

you could get real lucky with that sacrifice artifact card

Oreoleo

Idesofmarch said:
I'm having trouble beating Jace Beleran in the campaign, any suggestions on what deck I should be using?

Playing on archmage by the way

I think I ended up using the 2nd mono red deck for him, maybe the vampire deck.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Magic player since Alpha, quit at Kamigawa, just got back into these games with the free Plus copy of Planeswalkers 09 and now this. Man. I really missed Magic. This game is great. I just wish we could mix the cards from all the decks cause I would make Ancient Depths into a beastttttttttttttttttttttttt with some control cards.

Speaking of which, as most of these are completely new cards to me, anyone have any tips on how to play http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=New%20Frontiers ?

It's great mana but since it's a sorcery and everything comes in tapped, my opponent is the one who gets the benefit as all the lands he put into play he can use right away next turn. Is it just a deck weeding card?

Also if anyone wants to play/test decks PSN name is the same as name here. On Tokyo time though.

Finally got to Karn, was expecting some bad ass from all the talk of cheap and all... the round ended up like this :

6qi1ds.jpg

As his only creature (that he ever put out, period), two giant growth was 10.. I received average draws but he received just nothing... Guess I'll have to try it again.

Edit this is Planeswalker difficulty.

bunbun777

I took New Frontiers out-- I primarily am playing 4 player though-- I think some of the inclusions are for the Archenemy part.

-edit-- yesterday someone in 4 player drew Sleep with Artifact deck and took my victory. Also there is that Vampire card to watch out for where the life totals swap-- watch out for that I was dominating and boop-- I have 4 points he has 22 and he kills me.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
DownLikeBCPowder said:
Finally got to Karn, was expecting some bad ass from all the talk of cheap and all... the round ended up like this :

6qi1ds.jpg

As his only creature (that he ever put out, period), two giant growth was 10.. I received average draws but he received just nothing... Guess I'll have to try it again.

Yeah, I've only played Karn once but I absolutely destroyed him. I don't think he got a single monster out.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I ran through the campaign very easily as well but the Revenge campaign is super fixed. The AI always has the perfect card for the right time. I enjoy the challenge but sometime it's like c'mon now..

bunbun777

Does anyone know how the Single Player score is calculated? I have completed everything on Planeswalker and have a few cards left to unlock from the dragon deck.

I called WotC and got a email saying they would get back to me with the scoring system explained-- that was on the 18th...

bunbun777 said:
Does anyone know how the Single Player score is calculated? I have completed everything on Planeswalker and have a few cards left to unlock from the dragon deck.

I called WotC and got a email saying they would get back to me with the scoring system explained-- that was on the 18th...
They're going to get back to you when they finally figure it out.

AcridMeat

Banned
This game is so hilariously dumb sometimes.

I was winning 20 - 5, have 3 creatures out to their one including two flying. Then all of a sudden in 3 turns they beat me by a constant barrage of damage sorcery/instants so I have no creatures (I had been playing more each of my turns) and their next attack would do just enough to get me to 0.

This is on the revenge campaign.

Card Boy

Banned
Gideon (second last boss) is hard as, I tried turning down the difficulty to Mage and all he does is keep tapping out all my creatures. Either that or i keep getting crappy cards like lands or not enough lands. I have being tried to do it with the Pure Forest and Pure Mountain decks. The game is biased.

Top Bottom