• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 |OT|

orion434

Palette Swap said:
It is present. An effect probably recycled cards into the library?

I was playing Archenemy... and I see them draw the last card, then *poof* 19 cards in deck, it never read 0 cards.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I honestly don't believe it. I played Karn again, for kicks and giggles, and he completely botched the last turn. He had an Icy Manipulator and free mana, and he allowed me to attack with Lorthos the Tidemaker, so I locked down his board and swung for lethal. He had two 9/9 Clockwork Dragons and a Lodestone Golem out too, and all I had was a Simic Sky Swallower and a handful of Saprolings.

bunbun777

rayner said:
I was playing Archenemy... and I see them draw the last card, then *poof* 19 cards in deck, it never read 0 cards.

Played the green guy Garruk in Archenemy and I got him down to 0 cards and won the match so it probably was either something specific or.... the game is messing with you.

-edit - one of the Eldrazi cards when put into graveyard takes the graveyard and shuffles it into library. Maybe it was that?

orion434

bunbun777 said:
Played the green guy Garruk in Archenemy and I got him down to 0 cards and won the match so it probably was either something specific or.... the game is messing with you.

Are there any Archenemy schemes that make you shuffle your graveyard into your library? The only card in the Blue / Green deck I can think of is Polymorph, but it was already used.

bunbun777 said:
-edit - one of the Eldrazi cards when put into graveyard takes the graveyard and shuffles it into library. Maybe it was that?

I had that card under Arrest

So after unlocking the entire WW deck, I switched over to the U/B ramp deck, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. That being said, it feels like it almost plays itself. There certainly are some tactical decisions to be made, and it's incredibly satisfying to build up obscene amount of land and play overpowered spells, but I feel like I'm just riding the wave.

sonicmj1

The_Technomancer said:
I honestly don't believe it. I played Karn again, for kicks and giggles, and he completely botched the last turn. He had an Icy Manipulator and free mana, and he allowed me to attack with Lorthos the Tidemaker, so I locked down his board and swung for lethal. He had two 9/9 Clockwork Dragons and a Lodestone Golem out too, and all I had was a Simic Sky Swallower and a handful of Saprolings.

The computer vastly underestimates Lorthos.

I beat the Blue/Green deck once because the AI had Lorthos in play, and never locked down my board with him, instead choosing to play more creatures that couldn't stop my assault.

daevv

What 3 deck combinations did you all use to complete the Archenemy campaign? I'm only a few matches in and am having some luck using either all Blue for the three of us or me Blue with the other 2 AI as all Red.

I've had quite a few rage quits though.

Sober

undu said:
They call it "Streamlining", I call it dumbing the game down. Newbies get into the game faster, but it hampers gameplay a lot for experienced players. It's inexcusable that it doesn't have the option to choose which lads to tap when casting something.
That too, but I think it might be some bad logic on the part of whoever wrote the autotap logic. Also, Stoic Rebuttal has metalcraft, so effectively it has 1UU even if you have something on the stack that will resolve and give it to you while still leaving UU left just in case. It probably doesn't take that into account, so it assumes you'd never be able to cast it anyway and just taps lands in some other priority.

It's sorta dumb and I'm kinda moving away from using the U/B/(also W) deck anyway.

RyanDG

rayner said:
Are there any Archenemy schemes that make you shuffle your graveyard into your library? The only card in the Blue / Green deck I can think of is Polymorph, but it was already used.

You know, this is part of the reason why I would love the ability to save game histories and review them turn by turn. Not necessarily to stop issues like the one above, but so that you can review the actual play field after the game to really understand what happened in the final turns.

markot

Banned
coopolon said:
What's bad about it?
The main menu is very clearly made for controllers >.> It just doesnt work nicely with mouse. You have to keep clicking to the right or left to get to the menu option you want. Its just baaaaaaaad :/

The actual card gameplay is the same control wise, not too bad with a mouse, but the menu is 17kinds of awful.

red13th

Why is Garruk's deck so horrible?
I've been trying to beat Gideon but he literally has the answers to every card I can think of playing. I suspect Garruk's meant to kill the opponent with large creatures but it does absolutely nothing on the first turns and by the time I can cast stuff I'm already at like 10 health and he has Arrest, or the tapping dude, or whatever that completely shuts down the one creature I can play each turn.
I'm trying to play Garruk but it's so bad. A shame because he's my favourite character :(

Why isn't this game an expansion pack for the previous game, or at least enable cross play with the old version is making my broke ass self salty.

Played the demo and I prefer the old GUI over this new one. I like the list of new decks despite the similar themes from the first game.

Time to adjust funds and buy some PSN $.

Shoogoo

red_13th said:
Why is Garruk's deck so horrible?
I've been trying to beat Gideon but he literally has the answers to every card I can think of playing. I suspect Garruk's meant to kill the opponent with large creatures but it does absolutely nothing on the first turns and by the time I can cast stuff I'm already at like 10 health and he has Arrest, or the tapping dude, or whatever that completely shuts down the one creature I can play each turn.
I'm trying to play Garruk but it's so bad. A shame because he's my favourite character :(

Garruk's deck is one of the weirdest honestly. He doesn't play like the former deck at all. To me it looks like the deck is oriented for Archenemy, and yet there are better choices for that mode.

For Duels, you shouldn't try to face Gideon with it, that's for sure.

A forgettable deck, sadly. I too loved his 2009 deck.

bunbun777

And yet as of yesterday I looked and the top ranked player for 4-player, Nick92 I think, uses a green deck. (I played against him a few times)

I think the key to success is two fold:

Unlock all cards and
Remove all cards that are not needed.

Sober

markot said:
The main menu is very clearly made for controllers >.> It just doesnt work nicely with mouse. You have to keep clicking to the right or left to get to the menu option you want. Its just baaaaaaaad :/

The actual card gameplay is the same control wise, not too bad with a mouse, but the menu is 17kinds of awful.
Hold LMB and just scroll your mouse left and right for fast scrolling.

Shoogoo

bunbun777 said:
And yet as of yesterday I looked and the top ranked player for 4-player, Nick92 I think, uses a green deck. (I played against him a few times)

I think the key to success is two fold:

Unlock all cards and
Remove all cards that are not needed.

I played him too and he was using the Green Blue deck.

bunbun777

Shoogoo said:
I played him too and he was using the Green Blue deck.

G/U best deck confirmed? I have used it the last 2 4-player games and have won both of them using the Tidemaker and his 8 tap ability. I could see G/U getting bumrushed in 4 player soon if everyone starts losing to it, like the old G/B elf and vamp decks.

AcridMeat

Banned
I think I've got a bug, hope I'm wrong as I'll check later. I went to the deck editor and noticed that every single deck still says 0 unlocked, though I'm almost done with the first page in campaign. It could be that they already added the cards to the deck but that doesn't make much sense.

delume

AcridMeat said:
I think I've got a bug, hope I'm wrong as I'll check later. I went to the deck editor and noticed that every single deck still says 0 unlocked, though I'm almost done with the first page in campaign. It could be that they already added the cards to the deck but that doesn't make much sense.
I thought the same thing too. The cards you have unlocked are already in your decks. When you swap a card out of a deck it will go to the unlocked section. A bit weird. In regards to decks, I am really enjoying the vampire one. So far I think this game is a great intro to Magic and will get more people trying the CCG.

Shoogoo

Anybody managed to get the Archenemy campaign's achievement (Evil Ends or something) ?

My friend beat all of the campaign but the achievement didn't pop, something about all the matches having to be played on the same difficulty..

bunbun777

Shoogoo said:
Anybody managed to get the Archenemy campaign's achievement (Evil Ends or something) ?

My friend beat all of the campaign but the achievement didn't pop, something about all the matches having to be played on the same difficulty..

I got that trophy- Went through the campaign on medium. Now I am going through on Hard difficulty-- I like how there is a leaderboard for single player.

daevv

Shoogoo said:

I've been using the same difficulty all along and everything pops when it should. Just wish the Archenemy mode wasn't so cheap, the CPU gets perfect cards and schemes exactly when they need them.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
What are the bronze/silver/gold emblems that appear underneath champions after you beat them? Just how skillful you played or what?

Daigoro

i got rampaged on in 1v1 with the elf deck yesterday. good to know that it can still put out a huge army in no time.

i havent played it yet, but it doesnt appear to be nerfed much if at all from 2009.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
AcridMeat said:
http://i.imgur.com/2VU3H.jpg
Damn that Blue/Green deck is brutal.
I beat it with 26 health left.

Woah, is that low on PC? That's kinda... D:

I kinda expected Low to at least be the 360/PS3 versions in terms of looks.
Says a person that played Apprentice back in the day that had NO fancy graphics on Win95.

I guess I should finish downloading DotP 2009's demo off Steam, but given the hassle I went through to put THAT on my download list, I'm leery about finishing the download, seeing it runs like crap on my laptop, deleting the demo and waiting until I have a new PC to buy/download the demo again. >_>

Why doesn't 2012 have a Steam demo? Or did that finally get added after I checked just after the game unlocked.

Shoogoo

Daigoro said:
i got rampaged on in 1v1 with the elf deck yesterday. good to know that it can still put out a huge army in no time.

i havent played it yet, but it doesnt appear to be nerfed much if at all from 2009.

It is though, I can assure you.

Just the fact that they removed this one (which was twice in the deck if my memory doesn't fail me)

coat_of_arms.jpg

Edit : some guy searched in the code and found the next 3 decks hidden in the main game, they're discussing it here + some images (including the 3 deck boxes)

NameGenerated

They put up a 2012 demo.

The game hitches quite often for me, not sure why. It'll just freeze for like 4 or 5 seconds.

NameGenerated

Man, I just spent like 45 minutes on the Plots Within Plots challenge (the one right under Karn in the main Campaign) and I cannot get it. I can get him to 2 and 3 in like 7 different ways, but I can't finish him off. None of the others have been nearly this tough. I destroyed Karn 20-0 though, he didn't have anything against Garruk's deck. I don't even think he played a creature while I just wailed on him for a few turns, Archmage difficulty.

Sblargh

Banned
What I don't like about the new decks is that, I don't know, they seem less archetyptical (probably spelled that wrong).
White deck used to be protection and getting life, now it is equipments. Black deck used to be damage over time and discard, now it is vampires (ok, that still makes sense I guess), green is alright, but I can't shut a game down with blue like before, instead it is based on stacking a type of vulnerable as fuck creatures.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Blue+Green really is my favorite so far. Finished a game with 38 HP earlier today. And the amount of creatures and mana you can pump out in so little time.

Grecco

They took out the coat of arms from the Elf deck? Lol its garbage now then....

On the other hand the Blue Green deck is ridiculous its the "Elf" deck of this game.

TheSeks

NameGenerated said:
They put up a 2012 demo.

You're right! I downloaded it and it ran pretty okay (like 25-30FPS?) on my laptop, I'm really surprised for something that's 2012. But then again it is a card game, so it isn't exactly taxing on the system.

I can't seem to figure out how you changed the options to where it looks like the screen shot I quoted. If I could turn some of the effects off (notable the tool tips fading in and out), I'm sure it'd probably run better.

Not a big deal, but after the smoothness of the consoles 2009, I kinda am twitchy about it in 2012.

I may buy it in a while. though. So long as they don't price-gouge in the expansions like they did 2009. >_>

TheSeks said:
You're right! I downloaded it and it ran pretty okay (like 25-30FPS?) on my laptop, I'm really surprised for something that's 2012. But then again it is a card game, so it isn't exactly taxing on the system.

I can't seem to figure out how you changed the options to where it looks like the screen shot I quoted. If I could turn some of the effects off (notable the tool tips fading in and out), I'm sure it'd probably run better.

Not a big deal, but after the smoothness of the consoles 2009, I kinda am twitchy about it in 2012.

I may buy it in a while. though. So long as they don't price-gouge in the expansions like they did 2009. >_>

You can't change any of the settings. When you take a screenshot with Steam it makes the game look worse than it actually is.

I unlocked everything in the Mono Green. The deck can be made okay but it isn't great. I wish I had some fun enchantments to go in there and some different buffs. I'm alright with the creatures but I wish I had a different end game monster card and some other low mana creatures to swap in just change the flavor up every now and then.

Overall, the deck just isn't as fun as it should be.

TheSeks

Mono anything generally isn't too fun, unless it's Black. DESTROY. DESTROY.

RAINBOW DECKS ARE FOREVER. GIVE ME THAT SHIT WIZARDS IF YOU CAN'T GIVE ME A DECK EDITOR SO I CAN DO IT MYSELF!

Soru said:
You can't change any of the settings. When you take a screenshot with Steam it makes the game look worse than it actually is.

So, you're telling me Steam makes AcridMeat's shot look worse than yours, and there is no option to where there's a difference between the two? What? o_O

TheSeks said:
Mono anything generally isn't too fun, unless it's Black. DESTROY. DESTROY.

RAINBOW DECKS ARE FOREVER. GIVE ME THAT SHIT WIZARDS IF YOU CAN'T GIVE ME A DECK EDITOR SO I CAN DO IT MYSELF!

So, you're telling me Steam makes AcridMeat's shot look worse than yours, and there is no option to where there's a difference between the two? What? o_O

Oh right i didn't even notice the difference haha.

You can turn down anti-aliasing and shadows.

Piecake

I havent played magic in like 15 years, but for some reason I bought the game since I remember enjoying it, but never really had anyone to play with. Surprisingly, I have a newb question.

Say, if I have a 5/5 flying creature with first strike and a 2/2, 2/2 and 1/1 flying creature decide to block me. What exactly happens? Does my creature kill them all because it has first strike?

Been enjoying the game so far. I really wish there was a white/blue deck though, since I have been having the most fun with the white deck and the blue deck. Artifact deck is pretty fun too, though really annoying since you cant decide which mana you want to tap

Hellcrow

Gonaria said:
I havent played magic in like 15 years, but for some reason I bought the game since I remember enjoying it, but never really had anyone to play with. Surprisingly, I have a newb question.

Say, if I have a 5/5 flying creature with first strike and a 2/2, 2/2 and 1/1 flying creature decide to block me. What exactly happens? Does my creature kill them all because it has first strike?

Been enjoying the game so far. I really wish there was a white/blue deck though, since I have been having the most fun with the white deck and the blue deck. Artifact deck is pretty fun too, though really annoying since you cant decide which mana you want to tap

The 5/5 deals 5 damage first in the order you choose. If the creature is destroyed by the initial damage, it will not damage back. In this case, both 2/2 and the 1/1 are destroyed, without any damage done to the 5/5.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Gonaria said:

Yup, all of the blockers die and your flier lives to fight another day.

Grecco

Gonaria said:

yes you would kill all the blockers first since you have FS

Sober

Sblargh said:
but I can't shut a game down with blue like before, instead it is based on stacking a type of vulnerable as fuck creatures.
Lord of the Unreal makes it easier; I agree that being able to lock the field down with blue is fun, but it's definitely not fun being on the other end of it, which is why they decided not to do it for DOTP.

Gvaz said:
They removed the original from steam and the ability to buy the expansion packs it looks like :(
They have the gold bundle on Steam, which is the original + xpacks, but not sure how it works if you have some of the expansions or whatever.

Never played Magic before. Seems like fun. Feels like a turned based RPG with cards. Game is hard though. At least for me. It seems like the computer cheats. I'm playing the version before the 2012. Any tips for me? I get so close, but then the AI destroys me with a 5 card attack and wipe me out.

TheSeks

Gvaz said:
They removed the original from steam and the ability to buy the expansion packs it looks like :(

What? o_O My demo is still on my download list at least it was an hour ago. If they totally pulled the game, I'm going to be pissed as I was going to finally buy the expansions with the PC base game for $20.

Rhazer Fusion said:
Never played Magic before. Seems like fun. Feels like a turned based RPG with cards. Game is hard though. At least for me. It seems like the computer cheats. I'm playing the version before the 2012. Any tips for me? I get so close, but then the AI destroys me with a 5 card attack and wipe me out.

What deck(s) are you playing and what AI mode in 2009 are you playing against? The hardest AI is a motherfucking cheater knowing what cards you have in your hand and what you're going to cast FOR OH SO CONVENIENT COUNTER SPELLS. (SMH JACE)

Xapati

Rhazer Fusion said:

Play the challenges, it teaches you how the cards work together.

I've been messing around with the decks, Chandra's is pretty nasty. Very quick, it might even be fast enough to have the advantage over the blue green deck. And of course it destroys any of the weenie decks.

The blue illusion deck is neat and it can draw a lot of cards, but I think it relies to heavily on Lord of Illusions and it only has 2 copies of that card.

One thing that annoys me is each deck has those terrible life giving artifacts again. If they are already streamlining the gameplay for beginners they should not give you cards that should never be put in any deck ever.

Top Bottom