• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 |OT|

DasRaven

Got-damn, Nicol Bolas is ridiculous in Archenemy on Planeswalker. Took me easily a dozen attempts to beat him and I tried with several combinations of decks.

Finally won
with Wielding Steel x3 as the Strider Harnesses survived as he continually killed off the creatures
Still the round before we won, he played Plots that Spans Centuries. So I'm sure had we not won then, he would've as we were at 9/8/2 life.

red13th

Hmm, apparently the cards in the Revenge campaign we can't unlock will be part of the 1st expansion. I so want to play Garruk with
Heartwood Storyteller and the instant that gives me creatures when my guys die
. Plus, I want Ajani's deck. :)

I wish they had given Garruk a replacement for Runeclaw Bears. When I was unlocking Gideon's deck I swiftly replaced the Glory Seekers with the cat that gets first strike when equipped (it's the exact same card with aditional abilities). Same with Sarkan and Goblin Pikers/that Goblin that makes opponents discard if you have a Swamp.

SapientWolf said:
I like how the mods are are deleting other people's posts for baiting, but not the OP's.

I honestly can't tell is that OP is a troll, or an entitled punk who hasn't yet learned that the thought in his head aren't gold.

AcridMeat

Banned
Did I share this? I think I should share this...

IK0RC.jpg

Damn AI.

after feeling like kicking the game in the balls for the difficult AI all of a sudden I got on a hot streak. Once I beat the final boss and unlocked my first deck I have not lost yet..seriously. Something is really wonky with the AI in this game. All cards unlocked should be done by this weekend

JesseZao

Encountering a weird glitch in the revenge campaign. The card art is greyed out and there is a glittering box in the center of the screen. It just started happening when trying to duel Nissa.

Edit: restarted the game and it was normal again.

Grecco

Ill be completely honest the Arch Enemy campaign makes me want to never play MTG again. Ive tried multiple times with AI with 2 other people and i cant beat the first one. Its absolutely ridiculous that he can get things like 5/5 flyers seccond turn, and deal damage equal to the cards in hand in your first turn

DasRaven

Grecco said:
Ill be completely honest the Arch Enemy campaign makes me want to never play MTG again. Ive tried multiple times with AI with 2 other people and i cant beat the first one. Its absolutely ridiculous that he can get things like 5/5 flyers seccond turn, and deal damage equal to the cards in hand in your first turn

Honestly, the worst one is turn 1 "The Iron Guardian Stirs" in my opinion.

Just wait until you struggle through to the final boss, Nicol Bolas. It is one thing when the decks are normal and you have to work through schemes. It is completely another when the deck is built to work WITH the schemes.

Grecco

DasRaven said:
Honestly, the worst one is turn 1 "The Iron Guardian Stirs" in my opinion.

Just wait until you struggle through to the final boss, Nicol Bolas. It is one thing when the decks are normal and you have to work through schemes. It is completely another when the deck is built to work WITH the schemes.

The first deck already has good compatiblity the 1/1 red creature that gets counters for each dead creature +schemes that kill every creature. Instant 6/6 creature for 3 red mana.

DasRaven

The Wise Old Man said:
Can anyone tell me what the deal is with the "Gold Foil" cards being sold on the xbox marketplace? Are they any good???

Do you like gold foil? If not, don't waste your money.
They don't do anything different from the standard cards.

DasRaven

Grecco said:
The first deck already has good compatiblity the 1/1 red creature that gets counters for each dead creature +schemes that kill every creature. Instant 6/6 creature for 3 red mana.

Oh, I know. It's bad throughout, schemes tilt the game toward the Archenemy rather than balancing the game even with 3 opponents. That's the way it is supposed to be.

However, you don't get to the real "fun" until Bolas though, see AcridMeat's post above.

JesseZao

The Wise Old Man said:
Can anyone tell me what the deal is with the "Gold Foil" cards being sold on the xbox marketplace? Are they any good???

Worthwhile DLC
--------
Worthless DLC
Horse Armor
Alternate Costume Packs
Foil Cards

AIRic

Is this game beginner friendly? I've never got into Magic cards games when I when a child, but I think that I would like to try a card-based game. MGT seems the most polished game and I really like the artwork.

chautemoc

Neo Member
AIRic said:
Is this game beginner friendly? I've never got into Magic cards games when I when a child, but I think that I would like to try a card-based game. MGT seems the most polished game and I really like the artwork.

It's absolutely the best way to learn. Extremely accessible.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Ugh....lost a game today to timer/lag. Guy casts and I have my counter spell ready, hit O to cast but nothing..nothing..cast goes through. Sigh. Repulse the creature and next turn again have the mana to counterspell. This time I spam square to pause the timer but nope, doesn't go through. I would have won in 2 turns, he wins in one. Had to send him a sore loser message to let him know those 3 blue weren't untapped for two turns just for sure. Blah.

coopolon

Alright, I don't understand what the hell just happened.

I attack with an elven warrior 2/3. He double blocks with Mindless Null (2/2, can't block unless you control a vampire) and Vampire warrior (2/2, at beginning of your upkeep you lose 1 life unless your oppontent has less than 10 life.) I immediately cast overgrowth (target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn) on my elven warrior making him 5/6.

It then asks me who I want to apply damage to first. I chose Mindless Null, he dies, my elven warrior dies, Vampire Warrior takes no damage. No other artifacts or enchantments or creature effects were in play. Why did my elven warrior die, and why didn't Vampire Warrior die?

Volimar

worldrevolution said:
Ugh....lost a game today to timer/lag. Guy casts and I have my counter spell ready, hit O to cast but nothing..nothing..cast goes through. Sigh. Repulse the creature and next turn again have the mana to counterspell. This time I spam square to pause the timer but nope, doesn't go through. I would have won in 2 turns, he wins in one. Had to send him a sore loser message to let him know those 3 blue weren't untapped for two turns just for sure. Blah.

I always try to stop the timer before playing anything time sensitive. Anything from attaching equipment to casting counterspells gets the timer stopping treatment.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
coopolon said:
Alright, I don't understand what the hell just happened.

I attack with an elven warrior 2/3. He double blocks with Mindless Null (2/2, can't block unless you control a vampire) and Vampire warrior (2/2, at beginning of your upkeep you lose 1 life unless your oppontent has less than 10 life.) I immediately cast overgrowth (target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn) on my elven warrior making him 5/6.

It then asks me who I want to apply damage to first. I chose Mindless Null, he dies, my elven warrior dies, Vampire Warrior takes no damage. No other artifacts or enchantments or creature effects were in play. Why did my elven warrior die, and why didn't Vampire Warrior die?
Thats not right at all. (I assume you mean Giant Growth) You're absolutely sure there was nothing else going on? What elf was it specifically?

Just picked it up since it's my last PS+ day. Is this game AI still as broken like before? I played the older one and it took me many attempts to beat Tezzeret. Anyone taking advantage of the promo card being offered with the game?

Sober

The_Technomancer said:
Thats not right at all. (I assume you mean Giant Growth) You're absolutely sure there was nothing else going on? What elf was it specifically?
Sounds weird to me, though I haven't played much of the green decks, I could swear a 2/3 elf would be in Nissa's deck (GG for 2/3 vanilla) and I could swear Giant Growth was actually in the Green beast deck and not in the Elf deck.

Xapati

Sober said:
Sounds weird to me, though I haven't played much of the green decks, I could swear a 2/3 elf would be in Nissa's deck (GG for 2/3 vanilla) and I could swear Giant Growth was actually in the Green beast deck and not in the Elf deck.

He is talking about the older duels game. You're right about Planeswalkers 2012 though, Nissa does not have Giant Growth. Her deck is still extremely nasty though.

KuroNeeko

Grecco said:

"I" beat the first dood with two AI partners (Soren and Chandra) on the first try using the U/G deck. Chandra got ousted fairly early but gave me enough time to ramp up my mana and start dropping bombs like the Tidecaller. Once he used his mass creature removal scheme on me - Soren came in and finished him up while I rebuilt. If you're playing a slow-starter, then make sure your teammates have decks that put on a bit of early pressure or at least have excellent removal / control.

Good luck, mayne. You can do it!

coopolon

Sober said:

Yah, I am talking about the previous game, so technically wrong thread.

I should have taken a screenshot but I don't remember there being any other effects in play. I guess there must have been though. The elf warrior was just the two green mana to play elf warrior, a 2/3 creature with no other special effects. I won the duel anyway so I got over it.

daevv

After getting my 200/200 on 360 I've bought it on PS3 ($2 off with my free PS+) and to my surprise it has alot more trophies, 21 to the 360s 12! Any word/rumors on DLC? How long was it in between DLC for the first DotP?

delume

After sinking a lot of time into this on the 360 I decided to grab a copy off steam to play with some non-console playing friends. I tried unlocking some of the decks through the deck manager but I can't get no love. Is this not working on the PC? I am really not enthused about grinding to unlock all the cards again.

I finally just got around to playing this, and I've cleared the first campaign completely on Planeswalker, using the first green deck. While it's not full deck customization, I really like being able to swap out cards, to keep the deck at 60 cards. I'm also glad you can unlock multiple cards at a time. Unlocking decks was such a chore in the 2010 version.

One thing I hated, so far, was the "Plots within Plots" challenge. I spent a while trying to figure it out, until I gave up and searched for the solution. The solution I found online SHOULD NOT work.
When you cast the last Gifts Ungiven for a Flame Burst, Grapeshot, Bogardan Hellkite, and Dragonstorm, the AI elects to have you discard the Hellkite and Dragonstorm, despite you not having the available mana to cast them. It lets you keep the two cheaper cards that actually allow you to kill the AI.
I was hoping for a legitimate solution, that should work regardless of the AI's choices. Does anyone, here, know of one?

ihasaflavour

Neo Member
Great to see the thread float back up!

I'm really digging this version. I agree with the previous poster about how more streamlined this version is. Unlocking cards is not even close, to being as brutal as in the previous game.

You guys & gals still playing online at all?

p.s. Endless Depths is brutes.

Ugh. Whats with the targeting? The past two games I played I ended up targeting my own dude with Arrest (I didn't even click on him) and also missed the target for my Kor Outfitter when it came into play- I selected the equipment to attach, but before I could pick a creature it moved into attack phase.

Doomshine

So I played a bunch of 2009 since it was free with PS+, but the free month is over now. Should I bother buying 2009 to unlock 100% or just go straight for 2012? I don't know if I'm that interested in playing it online since I heard some of the decks were way better than others.

2009 + the expansions are like 19,95€ or something and it feels a little steep.

Fjord

Doomshine said:
So I played a bunch of 2009 since it was free with PS+, but the free month is over now. Should I bother buying 2009 to unlock 100% or just go straight for 2012? I don't know if I'm that interested in playing it online since I heard some of the decks were way better than others.

2012 has enough improvements I'd just skip to it. Basically the decks are just better, you can take out the bad cards, more fun.

Doomshine said:

If you like 1v1 ranked or player matches then the 2009 one will do. Magic 2012 has archenemy, but no 1v1 match at all. Both versions have Two-Headed Giant and Free for All. I have no idea on the new decks for 2009 since I did not get any of the DLC. Magic 2012 lets you edit your decks!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So something I've always wondered... how does the difficulty setting for SP work? Does the AI just draw better cards or something?

Brettison said:
So something I've always wondered... how does the difficulty setting for SP work? Does the AI just draw better cards or something?

It's hard to say, but I can say for sure that I've seen the AI do some really stupid things on the easy/medium difficulty. I.e., hold back attackers that could have wiped my entire side, etc.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Brettison said:

DECK HAX.

Oh and HAND HAX.

The hardest AI is a cheating motherfucker, because it knows WHAT you have and WHAT you're going to draw. EVERY. TIME. >:|

There's no way Blue Lockdown decks can get lucky back-to-back-to-back counter spell draws on a green ramp up deck that has speed summoning. No way.

Magic 2012 lets you edit your decks!

Only in the sense of putting base cards of the deck out, something that couldn't be done in 2009 (only the unlocked cards could be taken out). But it still isn't a FULL DECK EDITOR, so don't use "edit" nor "deck" in a sentence for that. >:|

Daigoro

zerokoolpsx said:
If you like 1v1 ranked or player matches then the 2009 one will do. Magic 2012 has archenemy, but no 1v1 match at all. Both versions have Two-Headed Giant and Free for All. I have no idea on the new decks for 2009 since I did not get any of the DLC. Magic 2012 lets you edit your decks!

yes it does.

Vanillalite

Well I've never played Magic before EVER... and got the Steam version last week...

Now granted I'll totally admit I'm playing on easy... but I've beaten the main campaign and the revenge campaign now. Hardest people were like the 1st and 2nd guys (after the predone tutorial level) for me in the regular campaign as well as the dude with the white deck in both the regular and revenge. Oh and the final guy Karn (spelling?) though I beat him pretty fast in the regular (luck of the draw?) where as he drew everything in revenge (grrrrrr...).

Honestly what is harder for me personally being a new player isn't the AI matches, but those predone scenarios. Since they want you to win ASAP sometimes my line of thinking (which WILL let me win) isn't what the game obviously wants me to do. It's frustrating honestly.

I've only been using the white deck so far (not sure how good or bad it is), but I've grown comfortable with it. I sort of want to replay the main campaign on the medium difficulty now, but I feel like I should use a different deck so I can unlock more cards. That seems scary to me though since the White deck is sort of my newb comfort zone. LOL

I also played one 2v2 match verses AI with a buddy online, but we've both been busy. Hopefully we can play so more together this week!

PS: I've heard from everywhere reviews, boards, the TRS video etc... that Arch is a pain in the arse so I've stayed away so far.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Are you talking the challenge/puzzle mode? Again: STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM THAT until you learn the abilities and are comfortable with the game. The puzzles are like the Bridge (or is it Hearts? forgetting) card game puzzles in newspapers. You know what you're doing and like to figure out a way to solve the game and win it.

Vanillalite

TheSeks said:
Are you talking the challenge/puzzle mode? Again: STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM THAT until you learn the abilities and are comfortable with the game. The puzzles are like the Bridge (or is it Hearts? forgetting) card game puzzles in newspapers. You know what you're doing and like to figure out a way to solve the game and win it.

I was talking about the circles that you can do in the main campaign that don't have the AI planeswalker picture meaning that's who your battling. They put you in a scenario to teach you deeper tricks of the trade that you usually have like one MAYBE two turns to complete or else you get a use lose message.

DasRaven

Brettison said:
I was talking about the circles that you can do in the main campaign that don't have the AI planeswalker picture meaning that's who your battling. They put you in a scenario to teach you deeper tricks of the trade that you usually have like one MAYBE two turns to complete or else you get a use lose message.

Right, that's challenge mode, like the old Duelist puzzles. They are intended to be difficult, but since they have a limited set of cards to consider you will eventually solve them by trial & error. There are usually a few ways to solve each, but getting to any one solution may take a while until you're comfortable with analysing the potential effects of all cards in the environment and their interactions with others, cards in hand, and available cards in library.

I finished the whole game on Planeswalker with the white equipment deck. It's great vs. computer, and middle road against people online.

Archenemy is difficult since the table is tilted towards the enemy at all times. Getting some friends together who can play fairly well is about all you can do to improve your odds. Then, the final boss deck in archenemy is built to take the inherent advantages and amplify them further. That makes it almost unfair, but the random element means that you will eventually win given enough attempts. As far as i can tell, there's no combination of decks that can balance the scale against Bolas.

Top Bottom