• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 |OT|

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Oh yeah I played 1 online game 1 on 1 verses a random. I was nervous as fuck, but ended up getting the luckiest draw in the world so that I won fast a hell. I had a 9/8 flying character that could also send one enemy character to the grave each attack on the board in like no time at all. I couldn't replicate that if I wanted too. LOL

Vanillalite

Well I found out I have the dread leaderboard bug on the steam version... no matter what I look at the game crashes.... :(

Hope we get a patch for that... the online issues some have.... and the random performance hitch that happens out of know where and lasts for like a sec then goes away...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
J. M. Romeo said:
Just downloaded an update. Anybody knows what it does? Hopefully it solves the quitting problem in ranked :/

Fixes the leaderboards? Check?

Piecake

I really hate people who quit in a 2 on 2 match when we have a good shot of winning even though they got dealt a shitty hand. Had a Kor Duelist about to put on Agentum armor and destroy some stuff and my partner just ups and quits because things arent going his way, urghh

Yanksfan

divisionbyzorro said:
I hate people who have figured out how to infinitely idle a match when they know they're going to lose. Scum of the earth, these people.

Agreed. It is just pathetic. I would hate to play against these people IRL.

Piecake

divisionbyzorro said:
I hate people who have figured out how to infinitely idle a match when they know they're going to lose. Scum of the earth, these people.

Thank god I have yet to experience that before.

Any news of the expansion packs release date? I want me more cards

Doomshine

J. M. Romeo said:
Just downloaded an update. Anybody knows what it does? Hopefully it solves the quitting problem in ranked :/
Are you talking about the PC version? I'm not getting any update on PS3.

Vanillalite

J. M. Romeo said:

Woah are you on the PC version? I was playing a shit ton Friday night, but didn't play any yesterday. Yet the whole time I was bitch'n about a patch being needed. Would be PIMP as fuck if we got one to fix the leaderboards, multiplayer stuff like text chat and getting into games, and maybe a fix on the weird animation/fps slow down.

EDIT: FAILTASTIC.... Leaderboards still crash my game... :(

Piecake

Brettison said:
Woah are you on the PC version? I was playing a shit ton Friday night, but didn't play any yesterday. Yet the whole time I was bitch'n about a patch being needed. Would be PIMP as fuck if we got one to fix the leaderboards, multiplayer stuff like text chat and getting into games, and maybe a fix on the weird animation/fps slow down.

EDIT: FAILTASTIC.... Leaderboards still crash my game... :(

Yea, the PC version needs a serious patch. What really annoys is when you are scrolling through the menus with a mouse, and it does not do what you want it to do. Urghh

Phreaker

oldschoolpinball said:
any word of when any new decks will be available for download?

Not that I know of. I'd actually prefer some of the bugs be fixed first. :) 2 friends and I tried to play 2HG on Live for an hour the other night and could not complete a game. Each of us tried hosting since we thought one of us may have had a crappy connection. One time one of us got kicked for being "inactive" for too long, but we were never inactive. The other two times one of us saw "Game Syncing" and the other two couldn't do anything - very frustrating to have matched end that way after 15 or 20 minutes of playing.

the bugs and the random number generator. sometimes i draw no land three times in a row and some other time i draw 8 lands in a row. i can't remember that happening ever in a real game, with real cards.

The syncing problem is really annoying. It's quite silly for a game this simple to have so many network issues; honestly, there are free open-source multiplayer games that fare better than this one does (at times).

Chaos

Pick this up recently and enjoying it, never played magic before.
Do you get anything for completing all the challenges ?

Vanillalite

Chaos said:
Pick this up recently and enjoying it, never played magic before.
Do you get anything for completing all the challenges ?

Achievement stuff I think, but no cards or anything that I know off.

Doomshine

I'm enjoying it too. I started playing Magic with 6th edition and stopped buying cards around the time the invasion expansion came out.

So this new rarity color they have... it's basically their way of saying fuck it anything goes, right? I mean holy shit.

Vanillalite

So since I'm new to Magic I just completed the main game on easy using the mono white "wielding steel" deck. Then I was using that in mp matches. I finally decided I wanted to unlock more cards to have another deck to play with and chose mono black "blood hunger" yesterday. 1st off I raised the difficulty to medium, and I think it's waaayyy harder. I'm way better after playing to many mp matches compared to when I first beat sp on easy, but the comp is TOUGH.

It also doesn't help that I feel like the mono black deck sucks compared to mono white, or else I'm just not as good with it. Plus I feel like upping the comp difficulty just ups their ability to draw the exact card they need whenever they need to. I'm just gonna chalk it up to me sucking though for now. :p

F0NZ

I also get the sense that upping the difficulty just allows the AI to have the right card at the right time. It seems pretty nonsensical to me, but I'm also new to this game.

Doomshine

F0NZ said:
I also get the sense that upping the difficulty just allows the AI to have the right card at the right time. It seems pretty nonsensical to me, but I'm also new to this game.
I'm pretty sure it does, at least to some degree.

I've been playing through the main campaign on Planeswalker difficulty with decks in order, starting from Wielding Steel. The only deck I've really struggled with so far is Strenght of Stone, it just seems slow and easy to shut down.

Doomshine said:
I'm pretty sure it does, at least to some degree.

I've been playing through the main campaign on Planeswalker difficulty with decks in order, starting from Wielding Steel. The only deck I've really struggled with so far is Strenght of Stone, it just seems slow and easy to shut down.

Strength of Stone, Apex Predators, and the dragon deck are considered bottom tier in this format. I did unlock the dragon deck, but I haven't touched the other two.

Vanillalite

Online I always have the best of luck against mono red (forgot the name), mono green matches tend to last the longest, and mono blue tends to be the toughest. Usually mono blue requires me to end shit early or else I'm screwed.

When playing mono blue, try to get the early creature advantage (I like playing Vampires, Elves, and WW, so this usually isn't difficult). Then when they leave the cancel mana open at land drop three, just don't play anything. Most players online don't know how to handle it when you're laying nothing and swinging in for 2-4 each turn. :lol

Vanillalite

divisionbyzorro said:
When playing mono blue, try to get the early creature advantage (I like playing Vampires, Elves, and WW, so this usually isn't difficult). Then when they leave the cancel mana open at land drop three, just don't play anything. Most players online don't know how to handle it when you're laying nothing and swinging in for 2-4 each turn. :lol

The thing that I hate about mono blue is they get that 2/2 bear on the open with just one mana played. Wielding Steel only has a 2/1 for one mana played. Everything that is 2/2 or better costs 2 mana. I feel like it puts me behind from the get go.

Doomshine

Brettison said:
The thing that I hate about mono blue is they get that 2/2 bear on the open with just one mana played. Wielding Steel only has a 2/1 for one mana played. Everything that is 2/2 or better costs 2 mana. I feel like it puts me behind from the get go.
Well, if you happen to get the 1/1 for 1 mana that can tap creatures, (I forget the name) the bear is toast :p

I picked this up on XBLA a few days ago since I was looking for something turn-based. I was pretty disappointed in the first Duels of the Planeswalkers, but this one's a lot more enjoyable. Being able to remove cards from your deck makes a huge difference.

Vanillalite

Just rebeat the SP main campaign (not counting the challenges) on medium this time. I also used the mono black aka Blood Hungerer to unlock the cards. Karn was actually easy as fuck. I had more issue with some of the other decks quite honestly.

I've steadily managed to improve my leaderboard position over the past week; I now sit at 507. I'd really like to break the top 100, but I get the feeling that's going to be a very difficult task...

For those curious, I only play Elves, Vampires, and Wielding Steel (and Unquenchable Fire on occasion).

Insaniac

is it me or is the AI not that good? I beat the SP on planeswalker difficulty and I didn't even realize, I thought it was on easy the whole time :(

On a side note the last challenge on the SP campaign was really confusing.

Insaniac said:
is it me or is the AI not that good? I beat the SP on planeswalker difficulty and I didn't even realize, I thought it was on easy the whole time :(

On a side note the last challenge on the SP campaign was really confusing.

The AI isn't very good. If you want to get good, play online.

By the way, I'll go ahead and share these links here; both of these guys play a lot of DotP online, and watching their videos will improve your game.
Although I strongly disagree with WMG's assessment of Wielding Steel; it's one of the best decks in this format.

http://www.youtube.com/weaponsofmassgaming
http://www.youtube.com/izdaisho

ultron87

They announced details of a downloadable expansion:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/081711a

Coming this fall, Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 fans can "Ascend Into Darkness" with new art and cards, new decks, new campaign levels, new challenges and more on their Xbox 360, PC, or PS3 in the Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 Expansion.

New features include sneak previews of six Innistrad cards and the ability for players to take on the role of the Archenemy. There will be eleven new single-player campaign levels where you must defeat three Planeswalkers as the Archenemy, and you can create multiplayer games and choose to play either as the Archenemy or as a Planeswalker battling to take down the Archenemy. Players will also be introduced to Ral Zarek, a new Planeswalker exclusive to Duels 2012.

Here are the highlights of the Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 Expansion:

Three new playable decks: Liliana Vess's "Grave Whispers" deck, Ajani Goldmane's "Auramancer" deck, and Ral Zarek's "Cloudburst" deck
Six exclusive sneak-preview cards from the upcoming Innistrad expansion
Players can become the Archenemy in single-player and online multiplayer formats
Six new single-player campaign levels and eleven Archenemy single-player campaign levels
Four Archenemy challenges
Four additional card unlocks for all thirteen Duels 2012 decks
New achievements on Xbox, Steam, and PlayStation
New loading screens featuring art and text exclusive to the Duels 2012 Expansion

Can't wait until early fall? Come by the Magic booth at PAX on August 25-28 to play the expansion before it goes on sale!

I'd post the screens, but yeah. It's still DOTP.

Playable Archenemy makes sense. I was surprised when it wasn't already a feature in the base game.

Don't you just hate it when this happens?!

[crappy cellphone pics]

Back story:
We've been at it for quite some time using mono-blue. Mostly a battle of counters, repulse, evacuates and captures with his life down to 5 and mine 9. The turn before the error happened, he was able to recast his Djinn and Elementals which he was forced to block with when I attacked with my 6/6 and 10/10 armored Illusion.

With half of our library gone, each down to 1 turn to either win or lose, he casts a Time Warp leaving him with no cards in hand. I luckily drew a Cancel the previous turn that I used to counter his TW, which leaves me safe to block his 4/5 with my 2/2 to survive the turn while taking damage from his 3/3 and 2/2 unblockables.

Just when I finally get to play an exciting match against someone who knows how to play this deck properly, this sync error happens as soon as the Cancel resolved... OMGWTFBBQFUUUUFFSSMH

For over 10 minutes we wait it out 'til my opponent decides to just forfeit the match.

tl;dr: Winning via game-sync/concede isn't fun nor satisfying. qq /rant Thank you for the awesome match, Pekay007.

ultron87 said:
They announced details of a downloadable expansion:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin.../other/081711a

About time we got some news about the expansion, WotC: please fix this shit.

Stainless already used their free patch from Microsoft. They'd have to pay to have a second if it's not released with DLC. I can't speak to PS3 or Steam, but that's why the Xbox version is still kinda busted.

If there's one thing I want fixed, it's deck selection. It should be double-blind, and it's asinine that it's currently not.

MedIC86

Is it me or is there not very much activity for this game on steam ? i like to play arch enemy but i can hardly find games...

Piecake

hmm, so apparently there is a new patch out, but all i am getting is a message that says Steam's servers are too busy and try again in a few minutes

Emitan

Gonaria said:
hmm, so apparently there is a new patch out, but all i am getting is a message that says Steam's servers are too busy and try again in a few minutes
There's no patch notes at all.

Vanillalite

MedIC86 said:
Is it me or is there not very much activity for this game on steam ? i like to play arch enemy but i can hardly find games...

I play 1 on 1 on Steam, and can always get a match.

Steam version is still fucked though, and I know they can probably patch as many times as needed. I don't think they've even patched once yet tho.

Xbox version still desyncs way too often. Played some games with Realm of Illusion tonight; on multiple occasions the game lagged out and wouldn't let me cancel spells. The game was also convinced that my opponent's Might of the Masses had given my Illusion +5/+5 for a good twenty seconds before finally sending it to the graveyard.

It really boggles my mind that a game this simple has so many lag issues. How hard is it to let me actually cancel a spell?

And yet I still can't stop playing! :lol I love this game despite its faults.

Piecake

The PC patch really didnt fix all that much. I still get game crashes and instances where I can't click on any of the cards. I guess we got the leader board at least. Yay...

Would also be nice if they had an equip all function and a function that when you zoom in on a mob, it shows all of the equipped and enchantment cards on the creature. I find it really annoying when I want to re-equip every equipment or I am looking for a specific one to equip and there is a whole lot of crap on the guy, especially if that creature just got enchanted

Vanillalite

Gonaria said:
The PC patch really didnt fix all that much. I still get game crashes and instances where I can't click on any of the cards. I guess we got the leader board at least. Yay...

Would also be nice if they had an equip all function and a function that when you zoom in on a mob, it shows all of the equipped and enchantment cards on the creature. I find it really annoying when I want to re-equip every equipment or I am looking for a specific one to equip and there is a whole lot of crap on the guy, especially if that creature just got enchanted

Nope... shit still crashes on me on the leader boards as well!

BTW I STILL don't get how the fuck the deck editor works in terms of your card number. It just seems so random what the number moves to when you remove a card.

Brettison said:

BTW I STILL don't get how the fuck the deck editor works in terms of your card number. It just seems so random what the number moves to when you remove a card.
The game automatically adds additional lands, depending on the size of your deck. So, e.g., if you have 62 cards in your deck, and remove 1, the game may decide to also remove a land, dropping the total to 60.

Brettison said:

You mean the land adjustment? The game tries to make your deck 40% land (so 24 lands in a 60 card deck). So sometimes adding 1 card will push the land ratio too low and will cause the deck manager to add a land as well (same goes for removing cards).

There's also a more complex formula for how it detemines the land type ratio, but I haven't quite been able to figure it out.

Vanillalite

George Claw M.D. said:
The game automatically adds additional lands, depending on the size of your deck. So, e.g., if you have 62 cards in your deck, and remove 1, the game may decide to also remove a land, dropping the total to 60.

divisionbyzorro said:
You mean the land adjustment? The game tries to make your deck 40% land (so 24 lands in a 60 card deck). So sometimes adding 1 card will push the land ratio too low and will cause the deck manager to add a land as well (same goes for removing cards).

There's also a more complex formula for how it detemines the land type ratio, but I haven't quite been able to figure it out.

Thanks for this! IDK... I sort of get why they did it since you can't really create your own deck fully... it makes it a lot harder to figure out what to remove though IMO....

BTW on Steam I just cracked the top 600 for 2 player aka 1v1! Not bad considering DOTP 2k12 is my first time ever playing anything Magic!

Top Bottom