• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 |OT|

Yeah, I REALLY wis we could manually edit land ratios in this game. That alone would make Dragon's Roar a million times more viable - I could set the mountain/swamp ratio to be a bit more even.

Plus, the more customization the game gives you, the more of a chance there is for skill to beat luck. One of the reasons this game is more luck-driven than paper Magic is because you can't build your deck; when everybody runs the same cards, the luck of the draw is so much more of a factor.

teebs33

Neo Member
Trying to decide between XBL, PSN and Steam

Prefer to get steam I think but unsure about the community, how easy is it to find a game?

teebs33 said:
Trying to decide between XBL, PSN and Steam

Prefer to get steam I think but unsure about the community, how easy is it to find a game?

I play it on XBL and it usually takes a few minutes to find a game. The netcode for matching people up doesn't seem to be great. However, if you've got buddies that play, it makes it much easier to find a non ranked match.

Here's a hint on how to find a game on Xbox Live extremely quickly.

Go to multiplayer, switch to Ranked Match, then scroll all the way to 'Custom Game' (all the way on the right). When you select that, it will show you all open lobbies. Just pick one and go!

The downside is that you don't decide when the game starts, so until they patch in the deck-hiding (which should come with the first DLC), you're going to constantly get counterpicked. But it beats waiting five minutes for someone.

Babalu.

so I just started playing again after buying it day one. I've only unlocked the mono white deck fully.

I like to play white decks and liked the last games mono white but i'm just not feeling this equipment deck that much. Can anyone recommend some good decks to use, i haven't played online yet i'm just beating all the archenemys.

People said the blue green deck is the best but after unlocking like 6 cards i'm not liking it at all.

Anyone have a rank of the decks in most effective to crappiest?

so far i'm liking the old decks from the first game more though.

Salsa

just realized that it still REALLY bothers me that you cant choose which lands to tap. Playing a deck with more than one type of land is a chore :(

Doomshine

Speaking of Ancient Depths... I'm pretty sure they AI has drawn a Sky Swallower every single time it has used Polymorph. Every god damn time.

Freakinchair said:
I'm so sick of losing to ancient depths. That deck is way too good and its all everyone plays these days.

I assume you play 2HG or 4PFFA? Because the deck is middling at best in 2P, but it does wreck shop in formats where it can have an ally to watch its back early on.

divisionbyzorro said:
I assume you play 2HG or 4PFFA? Because the deck is middling at best in 2P, but it does wreck shop in formats where it can have an ally to watch its back early on.

Nah, been playing 1v1. In fact I'd say the deck is worse in 2HG and 4pFFA because the enemy team has more ways to counter you/burn you down. In 1v1 its a race against time - you basically have 4-5 turns to kill him before you're done. With most decks this is impossible. Not to mention if the player has a piper in his opening hand it's pretty much already over since he can get a 12/12 out on turn 4.

Obviously they can draw a bad opening hand - but the deck does a good job of card drawing so the possibility is pretty low.

Gvaz

Banned
SalsaShark said:
just realized that it still REALLY bothers me that you cant choose which lands to tap. Playing a deck with more than one type of land is a chore :(
Welcome to Magic the gathering games. They're not meant for hardcore MtG fans.

Salsa

Gvaz said:
Welcome to Magic the gathering games. They're not meant for hardcore MtG fans.

it doesnt have anything to do with being a hardcore MTG fan, its just unlogic and EASILY avoidable, also something that everyone complained about the first game, why the fuck didnt they fix it is beyond me.

Look at this:

924f61661a3472da74307a35f2c8d22e07e84a4d.jpg

i just casted that artifact, wich obviously required 2 of any land, now i cant cast this go for the throat because the stupid game automatically tapped my only two swamps to cast that artifact. WHY THE FUCK is it so hard to let me choose the lands i want to tap god fucking dammit.

Gvaz

Banned
I'm of the opinion that they streamlined this for console users, and in doing so most advanced or somewhat complicated maneuvers suffer for it. It's not just your example either but also casting certain types during certain phases or things like that as well.

Hanzou

Gvaz said:
I'm of the opinion that they streamlined this for console users, and in doing so most advanced or somewhat complicated maneuvers suffer for it. It's not just your example either but also casting certain types during certain phases or things like that as well.

I am a very low level player of the card based magic and tat just looks like a bug or some terrible design decision. Magic revolves around mana, and when it is available and useable. Not being able to decide what is tapped breaks the game.

Sober

Hanzou said:
I am a very low level player of the card based magic and tat just looks like a bug or some terrible design decision. Magic revolves around mana, and when it is available and useable. Not being able to decide what is tapped breaks the game.
It's very rare and tbh it only really does crop up in that Tezzeret Deck; I've also had it happen to me a few times too with that deck. It's possibly because of the combination of triple colour + metalcraft/affinity affecting manacost that someone probably got overlooked or something. I do agree with Gvaz, this game was made for controllers in mind so manually land-tapping would probably be out of the question.

The last time I tried MTGO was probably 2004 but even that handled better, but then again that is literally MTG in every aspect by physical cards+new card smell. I mean you could do worse than DOTP2012 for 10$.

Salsa

Sober said:
It's very rare and tbh it only really does crop up in that Tezzeret Deck; I've also had it happen to me a few times too with that deck. It's possibly because of the combination of triple colour + metalcraft/affinity affecting manacost that someone probably got overlooked or something. I do agree with Gvaz, this game was made for controllers in mind so manually land-tapping would probably be out of the question.

The last time I tried MTGO was probably 2004 but even that handled better, but then again that is literally MTG in every aspect by physical cards+new card smell. I mean you could do worse than DOTP2012 for 10$.

It happened to me at least once with every dech with more than one land type

its easy to make an interface for controllers. Just make it so that if you click the right trigger or something like that an interface shows up mapping each land type to the face buttons/bumpers, you press the one that coincides with the land you wanna tap, and it taps

Hire me WOTC, because i must be a genius if no one thought of something like this between the development of two games.

Lord Phol

Great game, one of few games I've actually bothered getting 100% archievements in (though it's not that hard)

SalsaShark said:
it doesnt have anything to do with being a hardcore MTG fan, its just unlogic and EASILY avoidable, also something that everyone complained about the first game, why the fuck didnt they fix it is beyond me.

Look at this:

(Picture)

i just casted that artifact, wich obviously required 2 of any land, now i cant cast this go for the throat because the stupid game automatically tapped my only two swamps to cast that artifact. WHY THE FUCK is it so hard to let me choose the lands i want to tap god fucking dammit.

Aye I've had that problem quite alot, it's really too bad you cant choose what lands you want to tap.
Also don't like how the game sometimes end your main phase even though you are far from finished.

Haven't played in awhile but if anyone wanna have a game or two..
SteamID is: Ninjape
Nick is: Phol (not sure which one you use when you add people)

I play mostly 2v2 and enjoy almost all decks but favour the vampire and artifact ones and strangely enough the red one (not chandras, the other one).
The most anooying decks to go up against IMO is definetly Blue. All those fricking counters and spells grrr!

Looking forward to the DLC, will probably make me jump into the game again some more.

kafiend

I haven't actually played this on PC yet as I can't read the cards (yes I know you can zoom). Tried all sorts - different resolutions, AA etc. Any ideas GAF?

s1nama.jpg

Fjord

6 more achievements just added with this big update. It's also 50% off right now. Must be an expansion shortly.

The mana thing doesn't bother me at all, it affects you in like 1% of games. I'd gladly trade the time saved for the once in a while annoyance. Really the lesson there is don't play double blue spells in a tri colour deck with no fixing.

Javaman

I own last year's version of the game, is this one worth the upgrade? Are the battles the same just with better gfx or something?

Javaman said:
I own last year's version of the game, is this one worth the upgrade? Are the battles the same just with better gfx or something?

I think its worth it. Some really neat new decks are in this new edition. Only one really stinks (the red earth/mountains one). Archenemy is a fun new mode where three players take on the AI. The new graphics are a big plus. Definitely worth a buy, IMO.

ultron87

Javaman said:

The big features are new decks to use and play against (with new cards, obviously), new Challenges (my favorite part of the game), Archenemy mode, and being able to customize your deck slightly more.

Phreaker

Javaman said:

You can also play two-headed giant online this time around and I think this update (coming today or with the first DLC) is supposed to let you play as the archenemy. Being able to remove the original cards from the deck has also been great.

Javaman

Thanks for the info guys. I'm definitely going to pick it up. Do a lot of the opponents/challenges carry over? I've only done the first couple of each in the previous game.

Santiako

Javaman said:
Thanks for the info guys. I'm definitely going to pick it up. Do a lot of the opponents/challenges carry over? I've only done the first couple of each in the previous game.
Nothing carries over. It's a completely new game that came 2 years after the first one.

W.Yes, new DLC tomorrow.

• Playable archenemy
  • New deck: "Gravewhispers" - mono-black discard deck
  • New deck: "Auramancer" - green-white enchantment deck
  • New deck: "Cloudburst" - red-blue rushdown/control deck
  • New cards for all existing decks.

DasRaven

divisionbyzorro said:
W.Yes, new DLC tomorrow.

• Playable archenemy
  • New deck: "Gravewhispers" - mono-black discard deck
  • New deck: "Auramancer" - green-white enchantment deck
  • New deck: "Cloudburst" - red-blue rushdown/control deck
  • New cards for all existing decks.

Then shouldn't that be new DLC today for PSN?

daevv

Been playing the new DLC most of the morning on 360 and having a blast laying a beatdown on decks being the Archenemy! I hated getting beat by them and their cheap scheme cards during the core game, now it's my turn!

Some of the newer Innistrad cards are awesome too, can't wait to play a booster draft when it's released later this month!

Not very imaginative achievements in this one though:

Your Puny Minds Cannot Fathom: Host a match on Xbox LIVE as the Archenemy

Your Fate is Thrice Sealed:Defeat Gideon, Garruk and Koth as the Archenemy in a campaign game

My Crushing Masterstroke: Defeat Jace, Jace and Jace as the Archenemy in a campaign game

Edit: Much like the core game and limits on gamerscore allowed for arcade games the PS3 has different trophies for the DLC then 360.

Your Puny Minds Cannot Fathom: Host a match online as the Archenemy

Your Fate is Thrice Sealed: Win three Archenemy matches online

My Crushing Masterstroke: Defeat Jace, Jace and Jace as the Archenemy in a campaign game

Tempest: Win a game with Ral's deck

Auramancer: Win a game with Ajani's deck

Necromancer: Win a game with Liliana's deck

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I have been busy, and hadn't logged onto Steam in about a week or so until last night. Magic seemed to be getting a decent update hmmm..

So to buy the DLC or not.... do we get new cards for the existing decks only if we get the DLC? I figure I'll have to buy the dlc if I'm gonna keep playing online. When I stopped like 10 days ago I was close to cracking the top 500 on the steam leaderboards.

I need to check the steam forums to see if we got another patch ergo why it was redownloading last night.

PS: LOL@Fire being top tier... maybe it's cause I play Steel but whenever I see mono red it's like an insta win for my mono white deck in 2p (1v1).

Guesong

Just so you guys know, the Snake Umbra card in Auramancer probably does not work properly.

Unless they fixed it - though it didn't look like they were going to - , the card will make the owner of the enchantment draw a card when the creature deals combat damage to a player, not the owner of the creature.

Not that big of a deal, but annoying nonetheless.

Just a heads up - new expansion for this game just came out on PC! Downloading it right now. Hopefully the new decks + new cards are fun to play with. I also can't wait to truck people as the archenemy.

Glix

Since most of you aren't hardcore magic players, you might not know that it is SPOILER SEASON, BABY!!!

http://mtgsalvation.com/innistrad-spoiler.html <--- 147 and counting Innistrad cards spoiled.

Everyone should go to the prerelease later this month. Prereleases are mad fun, and many new players show up, so us old vets are used to it and we're happy to help out and advise.

It is purposely weighted very very lightly in terms of ranking, so its not cutthroat at all, and a good way to meet people with similar interests!

Piecake

hmm, I bought the expansion, but I don't see it in my library so that I can install it. Any ideas?

well, I guess I do still have a problem. It shows that I have the dlc in steam, but when I open the game all of the new stuff is locked. Do I have to install it? There doesnt seem to be a way for me to, unless I uninstall and re-install...

Really interesting expansion for this casual Magic player.

I've played the first 3 matches using the white equipment deck from the main game and the red/blue deck almost got me by throwing me off my game.
I really like the idea of (not sure if these are card spoilers but just in case)
cheapo Haste creatures that die at the end of the turn. The aptly named Gideon's Lawkeeper saved my butt a couple of times, by defusing them through tapping.

I browsed the new unlocks for a bit, I like some of the stuff I'm seeing in the Aura deck.

I hope they do bring back a Landfall deck in the game at some point. I had tons of fun with it in the first game.

edit:
Gonaria said:
hmm, I bought the expansion, but I don't see it in my library so that I can install it. Any ideas?

well, I guess I do still have a problem. It shows that I have the dlc in steam, but when I open the game all of the new stuff is locked. Do I have to install it? There doesnt seem to be a way for me to, unless I uninstall and re-install...
Have you tried the following?
- Restart Steam
- Check game cache integrity
Usually one of the two solves these issues for me.

Piecake

Palette Swap said:
Have you tried the following?
- Restart Steam
- Check game cache integrity
Usually one of the two solves these issues for me.

Tried that and I get "1 files failed to validate and will be reaquired"

Of course, it doesnt do anything after that, and just leaves me hanging. Any ideas?

Top Bottom