• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 |OT|

Shai-Tan

Banned
archnemesis said:
Is there an option for choosing random decks or did you just pick a new one manually between each match?

manually switching on each new opponent. you could use random.org though if you wanted actual random

Sober

mjc said:
Looking forward to playing more of the campaign tonight. Is it just me or is the white deck you start with kinda weak? I like the artifacts/equipment but the creatures are weak.
That's the point of WW, but unlock Sunspeak Shikari, Argentum Armour and Sword of War and Peace you might like it. At least the Shikari, IMO makes the deck pretty stellar.

Think I'm going to go play the green deck some more, if only to unlock Elephant Guide :O

Phreaker

Americanmushroom said:
just bought it... Meh, prefered the first game. I don't like the fact that we can see in advance wich deck the enemy is playing. Prefered the cheesy music of the first game aswell..

What's funny is this was how the first DOTP walker was and they changed in with an update so you couldn't see what the other was using before the match started. I thought that was kind of odd.

Phreaker said:
What's funny is this was how the first DOTP walker was and they changed in with an update so you couldn't see what the other was using before the match started. I thought that was kind of odd.

There was a specific reason for that. Because before the match started. One person would say choose Deck A, then the next person would change their deck to have an advantage aganst Deck A. Then person one would change Deck A to have an advantage against Deck B.

This would continue in an endless cycle.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
mjc said:
Looking forward to playing more of the campaign tonight. Is it just me or is the white deck you start with kinda weak? I like the artifacts/equipment but the creatures are weak.

I disagree. It seems to be one of the most powerful decks in the game. 2 Icy Manipulators for 1 casting cost? Gideon's Avenger? Puresteel Paladin? Baneslayer Angel? 2 Serras? Kor Duelist, Stoneforge Mystic, Sunspear Shikari? You think that's weak?

Also having the invalid registration for card problem (PSN).

Edit, called in after a while of wait time and some creepy hold music some nice lady took good care of me. Maybe.

Xapati

Being able to remove core cards is great, makes you realize how awesome full deck building would be.

I've fully unlocked Gideon's deck, and I'm really happy how they improved the soldier + equipment deck, adding a bunch of fat flyers really helped. Plus the argmentum armor and the knight with metalcraft are sweet :D. The mana curve is pretty good too. I only wish it had one more stoneforge mystic.

Thanks to the ability to remove core cards decks are much more balanced now. Green Blue is pretty powerful, but I'm not sure yet if it's overpowered.

Oh and what is up with the terrible cutscene in the beginning? Why are they not capable of putting a half way decent story together?

Sober

I just wish it would stop playing after the first time, or play with the rest of the intro videos instead of after the start screen.

Wow, I can't seem the figure out the Desperate Measures puzzle right now.

Orellio said:
I thought this was only me, thank christ. It crashes about 4 times before I can view leader boards.

On a side note: Haven't lost a game online yet. I digging the 2vs2 online now. Such a shit system they had in the last game.

I'm getting pretty good at predicting people's moves. Dude had 3 counter cards in his hand and if I hadn't tricked him, I woulda lost. Proud moment for me.

NIN90

Game has bullshit AI on Planeswalker difficulty. I'd smash a human player with this much luck in the face irl.
Can't even pass the first guy. He ALWAYS draws the forest walk dude and the echanment that gives +1/+0 for each mountain and first strike.
Even if I get a fatty out, he always burns it to death.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hm, I'm having very different experiences then most people on Planeswalker difficulty so far. It almost seems like the AI doesn't have enough answers, I've had several games where I've created crazy board states that real life experience tells me my opponent should have disrupted easily turns ago.

Shai-Tan

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Hm, I'm having very different experiences then most people on Planeswalker difficulty so far. It almost seems like the AI doesn't have enough answers, I've had several games where I've created crazy board states that real life experience tells me my opponent should have disrupted easily turns ago.

yup and you can also guess they have a spell up their sleeve because they never seem to do attacks that could get the creature killed based on the creatures you have

JesseZao

NIN90 said:
Game has bullshit AI on Planeswalker difficulty. I'd smash a human player with this much luck in the face irl.
Can't even pass the first guy. He ALWAYS draws the forest walk dude and the echanment that gives +1/+0 for each mountain and first strike.
Even if I get a fatty out, he always burns it to death.

It can be really swinging for sure. I get rolled the first game and then the next game I have a perfect flow and the AI can't draw anything to respond with. The final boss decks are usually hard to beat because they have better cards than the decks we get to play with. In my experience I'd saying you're just having bad luck, but it's possible of course that there would be a bug.

Santiako

I steamrolled the singleplayer campaign (with Koth monored deck, which is kinda crappy), it's way too easy even on Planeswalker difficulty. The only one that was challenging was Karn, and that was because his deck is super overpowered.

I'm playing the second campaign now with Koira's UG deck, so much better than Koth's.

AcridMeat

Banned
2VU3H.jpg

Damn that Blue/Green deck is brutal.
I beat it with 26 health left.

Cels

lol that's pretty funny...looks like about 30 creatures attacking

edit - So how does voicechat work for the 2-headed-giant game? Can you switch between all-talk and talking only with your partner?

Soru said:
We won based on the fact the enemy couldn't target them all in time.
That's one of the things I hate about the game, not having enough time during combat, when the board gets complicated. I understand not wanting to keep the opponent waiting indefinitely, but it makes it nigh impossible to have epic creature battles, and manage all the damage assignments and fast effects. A player can win a battle by attacking with a massive army, even if the defending player has the defensive advantage, simply because the defending player ran out of time. Compound that with the fact that the targeting system can be wonky, and it can be difficult just assigning the correct blocker, due to the fucked-up controls. I even sometimes end up rotating the board, in my haste, which wastes even more time.

Shoogoo

Azrael said:
The dragon deck sucks really bad. I can't beat a single AI deck with it.
I have to agree with this. It's the weakest deck in my opinion.

The artifact deck got nerfed badly too. I tried it for the last hour and I'm disappointed.

delume

Never really played Magic before, though I got quit heavily into the original Lord of the Rings CCG, Star Wars CCG and Legend of the Five Rings. Played the demo for this on 360 and immediately bought it after the first round. I am really enjoying the strategy element in this game and being able to play a CCG again (my current aged lifestyle has no room for them). Would kill for an L5R game like this.

Almyn

I have never played Magic before, Or any card game for that matter. I can't even win the first battle in the campaign. I am awful at this game.

I can't unlock the Vampire deck for the life of me. I'm playing on the middle difficulty and the AI keeps getting suspiciously good cards and has an amazing flow. Pisses me off so much. :I

hamchan

AcridMeat said:
Damn that Blue/Green deck is brutal.
I beat it with 26 health left.

I love that deck. Once it builds up the mana it's just freaking ownage from there.

Almyn said:
I have never played Magic before, Or any card game for that matter. I can't even win the first battle in the campaign. I am awful at this game.

Don't get discouraged ><

Luck is involved in this game so just keep trying.

Einherjar

Oh my goodness, why can't I tap my own mana!!

I'm playing the W/B/U Artifact deck, and it keeps using the wrong mana, leaving me unable to use any of my counterspells (UUX).

The Technomancer

Okay, the shuffling in this game is downright fucked though. Played a few games against Sorin. Game 1: three mana by turn 12. I lost. Game 2: I drew an eight mana streak and lost again.

Almyn said:
What are you having trouble with? Let us help.

Almyn

The_Technomancer said:
What are you having trouble with? Let us help.

It's mostly a case of me making stupid moves, Being unfamiliar with the opponents cards and still learning the rules. My last game ended with the AI having 3 attack cards and taking away over 10 health in one round. I had nothing to counter with.

I am learning though and am enjoying the game, Even if I have played the same match 10 times.

Almyn said:

Try using the white deck against the first red deck. I had an easy time with it.

undu

Einherjar said:

I'm playing the W/B/U Artifact deck, and it keeps using the wrong mana, leaving me unable to use any of my counterspells (UUX).
They call it "Streamlining", I call it dumbing the game down. Newbies get into the game faster, but it hampers gameplay a lot for experienced players. It's inexcusable that it doesn't have the option to choose which lads to tap when casting something.

Prisen

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, the shuffling in this game is downright fucked though. Played a few games against Sorin. Game 1: three mana by turn 12. I lost. Game 2: I drew an eight mana streak and lost again.

That is what happens with random shuffling.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Einherjar said:

yea, it's pretty awful design choice

ultron87

undu said:
They call it "Streamlining", I call it dumbing the game down. Newbies get into the game faster, but it hampers gameplay a lot for experienced players. It's inexcusable that it doesn't have the option to choose which lads to tap when casting something.

It really should be a toggleable option in the menu like all the other advanced stuff.

I mean it doesn't matter if you're using a single color deck, but it's especially stupid for the tri-color decks.

bunbun777

It felt good I was playing Karn on medium revenge and he brought out a DC so I returned it to his hand and got 11 1/1's. He proceeds to bring it out again and then another. I mind control the second and long story short....

Rite of replication (kicked)

Blu10

After being away from magic for 15 or so years I picked this game up. Wow a lot has changed. Bloodlust, Annihilate, Devour. The helpful popups appear to tell me what Flying is (thanks for that), but it doesn't have anything for the more complex effects?

The Technomancer

bunbun777 said:
It felt good I was playing Karn on medium revenge and he brought out a DC so I returned it to his hand and got 11 1/1's. He proceeds to bring it out again and then another. I mind control the second and long story short....

Rite of replication (kicked)
Hahahaha

Hahahahahahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man, I love Rite of Replication

orion434

Is the rule for running out of cards present in DotP? I ran my opponent out of cards and then magically they had 19 cards in their deck? The Blue / Green deck draws way too many cards vs threats.

The Technomancer

Blu10 said:
After being away from magic for 15 or so years I picked this game up. Wow a lot has changed. Bloodlust, Annihilate, Devour. The helpful popups appear to tell me what Flying is (thanks for that), but it doesn't have anything for the more complex effects?
Yeah, those are all set-specific mechanics that they threw in for variety.
Bloodthirst X: If your opponent was dealt damage this turn, CARDNAME comes into play with X +1/+1 counters

Annihilator X: When this creature attacks, your opponent sacrifices X permanents (don't worry, its a rare ability)

Devour X: When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. It enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters for each creature devoured.

For example, if it has Devour 2 and I sacrifice 3 creatures to it, it comes into play with an extra +6/+6

Rolf NB

Blu10 said:
Zoom in on the card. Then, while still zoomed in, press R1 or whatevs for a mindnumbing, excruciating multi-page explanation of every single property.

ultron87

Blu10 said:

You can always zoom in on the cards and hit the More Info button. That pop up usually does a pretty good job of explaining everything.

On that note, http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Voracious Dragon when playing the Dragon deck he summoned one of these with no other creatures (so he couldn't sacrifice anything). He then used the ability to burn one of my Phantasmal Bears (which you sacrifice after being the target of any ability or spell). Do you still get to target the direct damage ability even if it isn't going to do any damage?

The Technomancer

ultron87 said:
You can always zoom in on the cards and hit the More Info button. That pop up usually does a pretty good job of explaining everything.

On that note, http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Voracious Dragon when playing the Dragon deck he summoned one of these with no other creatures (so he couldn't sacrifice anything). He then used the ability to burn one of my Phantasmal Bears (which you sacrifice after being the target of any ability or spell). Do you still get to target the direct damage ability even if it isn't going to do any damage?
Yes. In fact, the person playing the dragon has to choose a target, even if its for 0 damage, because the ability doesn't say "you may"

rayner said:
Is the rule for running out of cards present in DotP? I ran my opponent out of cards and then magically they had 19 cards in their deck? The Blue / Green deck draws way too many cards vs threats.
It is present. An effect probably recycled cards into the library?

Top Bottom