• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 |OT| Tapping All Day

Tizoc

Hey guys, what resolution is this game running at on the PS3? Mine runs at 480p and the framerate is not too smooth

Err framerate looks fine on my HDTV, and it runs at 720p.
Gotta say the game loads much faster than 2012, especially when the game shows all your lands if u activate certain abilities or spells.

Almost done getting all cards in Garruk's deck, I'll start collecting all cards in Chandra's deck soon.

Revan

In this it is a very specific set of cards organized into ten prebuilt decks that you can then customize a bit by swapping new cards in and out. They feature a lot of newer cards but also some old stuff. The decks are all listed here: http://www.wizards.com/magic/digital/duelsoftheplaneswalkers.aspx?x=mtg/digital/d13/decklists You can't build a deck from scratch.

If you want a game where everything is available and you can brew up decks however you want you'll need to look into Magic Online, but that has a much higher cost to really get going because you buy and trade for cards as if it was the paper game (though somewhat cheaper).

Cool thanks for the info. I loved the old Microprose MtG games from waaaaaaaay back when but the online sucked some pretty big monkey balls.

Maybe I'll look into MtG Online.

Jacobi

Banned
I've already encountered a few bugs on the ipad:
One time the screen went to black
A multiplayer game hung up when I tried to view a card..

That's kind of annoying, but still the game is quite glorious

While the mono-colored decks are disappointing, browsing the decklists they seem to be a lot more powerful than DotP 2012 decks, and have more variety in the types of decks you can build.

Right now my biggest gripe is the unlocks themselves. 2012 let you unlock 20 cards in about 10 games. 2013 makes you unlock 30 cards in 30 games - that's a lot of games to unlock everything!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Question.

Dragon Hatchling has a 1R: Gain +1/+0 until end of turn. I've only been able to use that in my main phase. Is that technically where you have to bring those into play? I've had a few instances where my opponent was tapped out and I had 6 mana ready to pump and swing with...Except it went to combat phase and I was unable to cast. -_-

Tizoc

Question.

Dragon Hatchling has a 1R: Gain +1/+0 until end of turn. I've only been able to use that in my main phase. Is that technically where you have to bring those into play? I've had a few instances where my opponent was tapped out and I had 6 mana ready to pump and swing with...Except it went to combat phase and I was unable to cast. -_-

I'm pretty sure u can use that ability at any time, so if the Hatchling gets countered, activate the ability so you can at least destroy your opponent's creature.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Question.

You can do it at any point assuming you have the mana available.

Question.

You have to activate it while that little countdown bar is going.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You have to activate it while that little countdown bar is going.

OK, this is what I was wondering. I need to watch this counter you speak of, because I figured I could activate it whenever, I just never understood why I wasn't able to activate it pre-swing (I apparently waited too long).

E: The benefit to playing paper vs digital...Having to learn how the digital version wants you to do the things you used to do automatically! :p

blackflag

Game is fun as always but really....1 multicolored deck? That is ridiculous, especially considering the fact that they let you tap your own lands when it matters now.

Am I missing something?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Didn't see this addressed on the first page (searched for 'gold'): what are the little icons after you beat a challenge? I have some gold and some silver but they don't seem to make sense (beat a guy 18-0 got a silver, won 4-0 got a gold against someone else).

ultron87

Didn't see this addressed on the first page (searched for 'gold'): what are the little icons after you beat a challenge? I have some gold and some silver but they don't seem to make sense (beat a guy 18-0 got a silver, won 4-0 got a gold against someone else).

I believe it is the difficulty level you beat it on. The inconsistency is caused by the Encounters (ie Suntail Hawk guy) always giving a gold since they play the same way no matter what every turn regardless of difficulty.

J0dy77

So I did the in app purchase on the iPad last night but I'm still showing all decks as locked?

Can someone confirm that I should see all decks. I don't want to get double charges on this purchase.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I did the in app purchase on the iPad last night but I'm still showing all decks as locked?

Can someone confirm that I should see all decks. I don't want to get double charges on this purchase.

You still have to unlock the decks by beating them in the campaign.

J0dy77

You still have to unlock the decks by beating them in the campaign.

That makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

On another note, since when can you play more than 4 of one card in a magic deck? The game defaulted me to "mage" and played 6 white 1/1 owls in a row. Cranked the difficulty up hoping that fixes it.

remist

Dear challenge 4,

I fucking hate you.

Love,
WW

Is this the one
with the mind control and the equips? I beat it, but I still can't figure out why what I did worked.
Anyone feel like explaining this one?

Also really liking the game.

On another note, since when can you play more than 4 of one card in a magic deck? The game defaulted me to "mage" and played 6 white 1/1 owls in a row. Cranked the difficulty up hoping that fixes it.

You aren't the first in this thread to be confused by that. The "Encounters" don't follow the rules and play the same sequence of cards each time. kind of a puzzle type thing.

ultron87

Is this the one
with the mind control and the equips? I beat it, but I still can't figure out why what I did worked.
Anyone feel like explaining this one?

Also really liking the game.

Which part are you confused about?

My solution for Challenge 4 was:
Equip boots to other creature to get rid of shroud. Equip ring from troll to my guy for Trample. Re equip boots for Shroud. Attack. Destroy troll when it blocks with spell in hand.

remist

Which part are you confused about?

My solution for Challenge 4 was:
Equip boots to other creature to get rid of shroud. Equip ring from troll to my guy for Trample. Re equip boots for Shroud. Attack. Destroy troll when it blocks with spell in hand.

What does the trample do in this solution. I don't understand why trample keeps him from using regeneration in response to my instant.

hiryu

This game is pretty awesome. I bought it on the iPad and I've never played any of the digital magic games. I used to be a huge addict back in the day, once when the game came out all the way up to fallen empires, and then again during all the urza stuff. I can totally feel that itch again. Hopefully this game is enough to scratch it because I really don't have the time to get back into the paper game.

ultron87

What does the trample do in this solution.

It makes it so the damage can still go through after your guy gets blocked. Normally if attacking Creature A gets blocked by Creature B, and then B gets destroyed (or otherwise removed from combat) A will do its damage to nothing. Trample lets a blocked creature deal any leftover damage not done to a blocking creature to the defending player so all of its damage goes through.

If the challenge works without the Trample then that is a bug.

blackflag

You can't play more than 4. Are you sure those weren't just owl tokens?

FillerB

You can't play more than 4. Are you sure those weren't just owl tokens?

Had it to and as far as I know it only happens in Encounters which do NOT follow the normal deck building rules. Which isn't indicated anywhere as far as I can see.
The CPU plays the same cards each time in an Encounter so you can tweak your deck against a certain strategy. In this case the cpu would just keep on spamming 1/1 Owls with flying.

remist

It makes it so the damage can still go through after your guy gets blocked. Normally if attacking Creature A gets blocked by Creature B, and then B gets destroyed (or otherwise removed from combat) A will do its damage to nothing. Trample lets a blocked creature deal any leftover damage not done to a blocking creature to the defending player so all of its damage goes through.

If the challenge works without the Trample than that is a bug.

I see. The description for trample says "If a creature with trample would deal enough combat damage to its blockers to destroy them, it deals the rest of its damage to the defending player" That doesn't say anything about what happens if the defender is tapped, and there is no combat damage. I figured he could just use regenerate and I wouldn't target anything.

ultron87

I see. The description for trample says "If a creature with trample would deal enough combat damage to its blockers to destroy them, it deals the rest of its damage to the defending player" That doesn't say anything about what happens if the defender is tapped, and there is no combat damage. I figured he could just use regenerate and I wouldn't target anything.

If a creature gets saved from destruction by Regeneration it gets removed from combat. I would hope that it says that in the in game tooltip for the ability.

You can think of the way Trample works in the scenario as if your creature was facing a 0 toughness defender. Since it has to deal 0 damage to destroy its blockers it can just put all of it through to the player.

remist

If a creature gets saved from destruction by Regeneration it gets removed from combat. I would hope that it says that in the in game tooltip for the ability.

You can think of the way Trample works in the scenario as if your creature was facing a 0 toughness defender. Since it has to deal 0 damage to destroy its blockers it can just put all of it through to the player.

Yeah it says regenerate taps the creature and removes it from combat. I just got confused by the wording in the trample description and thought it would act like a normal card if the defender was removed before combat.
Thanks for the help.

I think I meant Challenge 5. The one that is after the troll one. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

And if it's mortarpod, then I'll solve 8 in a heartbeat.

The undying challenge? That one did take a while. The first move is obvious - after that you have to come at it extremely sideways.

Oh - and you get two turns. I spent a long time trying to solve it in one turn. You win on the swingback on your next turn.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The undying challenge? That one did take a while. The first move is obvious - after that you have to come at it extremely sideways.

Oh - and you get two turns. I spent a long time trying to solve it in one turn. You win on the swingback on your next turn.

Yeah, that one. I spent an hour fucking it up this morning.

...I brought my iPad to work because FUCK THAT THING ISN'T GOING TO WIN.

Tizoc

Hmm the game has crashed twice for me recently. It ocurrs a little after I summon the red creature that puts a counter/charge on ur enemy's lands. After I've put a few charges on their lands the game crashes and I have to restart my ps3.
Has this occured to anyone else?

red13th

Whoa the first deck already comes fully unlocked?

Doing Liliana for the first time with a newly acquired white weenie deck is painful, she has like five thousand spot removal spells. :(

blackflag

Had it to and as far as I know it only happens in Encounters which do NOT follow the normal deck building rules. Which isn't indicated anywhere as far as I can see.
The CPU plays the same cards each time in an Encounter so you can tweak your deck against a certain strategy. In this case the cpu would just keep on spamming 1/1 Owls with flying.

Ok that explains it. Shouldn't happen in a regular duel though. I've skipped all of that stuff so far. Will go back to it when I complete the main duels.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The mill deck is downright god awful in that challenge involving a deck full of
Bloodghast
. Who knew :(

Pretty sure thats the worst possible deck vs any challenge scenario in the game.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'll probably use my free unlock key to unlock the Mill deck. Really don't enjoy playing that way.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Theres only 1 multicolor deck.

Next block is Ravnica v 2.0

I'll bet that all the DLC decks are multicolored with Ravnica previews!

coopolon

I know I'm probably being really stupid, but why can't I find this game on the iOS store? Searching for Magic the Gathering or Duels of the Planeswalkers turns up nothing except the unofficial assistant apps.

Shai-Tan

Banned
It's funny how they still haven't fixed the issue from last year with the game defaulting to 30hz. Everything looked interlaced and text was unreadable on one of my computers until I went in the config.cfg to change it from 30 to 60

Top Bottom