• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm going to make several hundred dollars if I can sell the pieces of this deck.

#MTGFinance

Note: this is the first Pro Tour Top 8 in which Ivan Floch is playing without a sphinx-themed card.

Is it me or does Ivan Floch just always draw exactly what he needs to win? I wanna see some of these players get screwed once.

Not happy enough with people mulliganing all over the place? Also, there's been plenty of times he didn't draw well. He lost those games so you don't remember them.

Only watched the last 2 matches were his draws were pretty much always exactly what he needed to win, especially against Dickman.

Isn't the mulliganing to find the deck dismantling places?

kirblar

Eye and SSG are the bans they should do.

Let Eldrazi Temple go a bit longer (like DTT in Legacy when TC got banned) to see how big a deal it is solo.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
JC is probably nutting right now with Floch mulling to 5 and him having a god hand

G.ZZZ

JC Tao had Eye in starting hand in like 80% of the games this tournament, like seriously, no one checking that?

Angry Grimace

I don't understand how they didn't announce literally any products. The Pro Tour literally exists as promotional material.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I don't understand how they didn't announce literally any products. The Pro Tour literally exists as promotional material.

They are getting worse and worse with announcements which is just making the playerbase more and more starved for information, assuring that leaks happen as they are more desirable than ever before. I feel like the situation is self-perpetuating, and Wizards has to figure out a better way to handle releasing info on upcoming product. How can the only upcoming thing we know about be Shadows Over Innistrad? I feel like that's pretty ridiculous.

Angry Grimace

I mean, Maro basically admitted a summer supplemental set was coming, so I don't know when or how they plan to reveal that...

It's super weird since they had a streak of like four consecutive ones where they did a product announcement and it seemed like they'd (wisely) adopted that as their strategy, but then like two of the last four haven't had anything.

I do think there's a couple issues here. One being that they don't want to announce the SoI expansion name until SoI is out because Nahiri's Sexy Slash Explosion or whatever is kind of a spoiler. The other being that they made a (bad) choice to never announce or describe anything but the very next product coming out, because they seem to believe having two things announced causes brand confusion, but it means now they can't actually give any of their supplemental products enough room to breathe. (Witness the complete lack of hype for Commander 2015.)

I mean, Maro basically admitted a summer supplemental set was coming, so I don't know when or how they plan to reveal that...

It'll probably be the small set announced at PT SOI and then the summer set announced at PT small-set, I guess? Or else they'll announce the supplemental set at PAX East like they did with Conspiracy.

There's also a problem where this is their first year doing two blocks and they clearly have no idea how their marketing plan should work for that, given that BFZ got an enormous blowout while SOI is going to limp in with basically no promo at all.

Angry Grimace

World Breaker seems gross as fuck in that deck.

The problem with Eldrazi is that its beatable, but running 4 Ghost Quarters and Surgical Extraction seems techy as fuck and the definition of metagame warping.

kirblar

Stirrings will likely get banned within a year. BFZ block stuff made it too good.

U/W control doing really well is interesting. One at 4th and one at 9th.

Had to look at it for a second before I realized that the only card in the deck a Stirrings can't get is another Stirrings.
Yeah I've seen some people that play ancient stirrings in their decks running kozilek's return over pyroclam because of colorless and instant speed hitting nexi even if you can't trigger the backside. I'm not totally convinced yet, but I can see the argument for it. Clearly better depending on the deck.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";194515652]Or just print good reactive cards into modern so the next degenerate all-in proactive deck in line doesn't just take over.[/QUOTE]
lol

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";194515652]Or just print good reactive cards into modern so the next degenerate all-in proactive deck in line doesn't just take over.[/QUOTE]

I'm struggling to think of one. The problem is that the one I keep hearing people say is "print Wasteland" except Eldrazi would totally run Wasteland.

Santiako

Next set:

Nahiri's Hate W

Instant

Destroy target Eldrazi or Eldrazi Temple.

Investigate.

(then you ban Eye of Ugin and done)

Angry Grimace

x5kkVlp.png

Hero

A little late on this but it does seem like an absolute failure to not capitalize on the viewership to announce some new product.

It's like the company doesn't give a fuck about anything coming up. Not even shit like Duel Deck contents or summer product or even the next From the Vault?

kirblar

A little late on this but it does seem like an absolute failure to not capitalize on the viewership to announce some new product.

It's like the company doesn't give a fuck about anything coming up. Not even shit like Duel Deck contents or summer product or even the next From the Vault?
They believe it pulls focus from the product they're currently pushing (aka OGW).

I'm not sure they're wrong on that, actually, but they should be announcing something.

They believe it pulls focus from the product they're currently pushing (aka OGW).

I'm not sure they're wrong on that, actually, but they should be announcing something.

This is why it makes sense to me to show off supplemental stuff, since it doesn't actually conflict with their marketing plan. Four PTs a year, so announce the small sets at the fall and spring ones, and announce the summer set and Commander set respectively at the winter and summer ones.

Angry Grimace

Fucking around with this Eldrazi stuff in Legacy and goddamn that shit is filthy with Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors and Mox Diamond in the deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom