• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Heh, I gave a friend of mine a foil Eye of Ugin at GP Vegas earlier this year - said he needed it for his Commander deck or something. At the time they weren't worth much and regular non-foil versions were tabling in drafts.

I probably have a at least a couple stored away somewhere from those drafts...

Lucario

Reality Smasher at CCCC would've been hilarious. Probably even better in Legacy, with 12-16 sol lands that can cast it.

Thinking about just running this as my manabase:

4 Eye of Ugin
4 Eldrazi Temple
4 City of Traitors
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Crystal Vein

Reality Smasher at CCCC would've been hilarious. Probably even better in Legacy, with 12-16 sol lands that can cast it.

Thinking about just running this as my manabase:

4 Eye of Ugin
4 Eldrazi Temple
4 City of Traitors
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Crystal Vein

I think the power of the other decks in legacy is probably too high for the eldrazi cards to make an impact even in that case. I mean, Terminus, Swords and Force of will are all pretty game-wrecking, and even aggro mirrors you're playing against stuff like turn 3 craterhoof.

You can't use the same cards at all. I think the example made Rich really confused and I have my doubts Helene is terribly familiar with actual game play. She's a PR person.

She's been at WotC for twenty years so I'm pretty confident that she knows how to play and keeps up generally on what's going on in competitive play, but probably not enough to not get confused about this, lol.

Oh I see. That's...odd.

They just want to make absolutely sure people play three completely different archetypes.

You really start to wonder why they didn't just ban Eye and/or Temple prior to this PT. They had to know this is exactly what would happen.

Well, because a) except Memory Jar they don't pre-emptively ban anything and b) everything about how this Pro Tour went as an event is actively good for them, even if they have to make bans to adjust the format afterwards.

This matchup feels like it's 100% about Drowner of Hope. LSV masterfully kept that card from ever being a factor in that game. Let's see him get to the finals!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";194500556]Very few games have gotten far enough to play an Ulamog. Even in the mirror a lot of games are decided by the curve.[/QUOTE]

I guess the risk of drawing it early is worse than the opportunity to tutor for it late?

This, by the way, is why I stopped trying to play Magic competitively. I simply do not have the mentality to spend days, let alone hours, to have my tournament ended by shitty luck.

This, by the way, is why I stopped trying to play Magic competitively. I simply do not have the mentality to spend days, let alone hours, to have my tournament ended by shitty luck.

I suck at Street Fighter so I'm better off flipping coins in PPTQ top 8s, but I agree with you for the most part. The last Pro Tour top 8 was so horrendous with non-games that they brought back 3/5s.

Haines

Banned

Idk, i thought the red blue version was said to be better in the eldrazi mirror match. They played a best of 5. Im sure lsv will be more than happy with his finish, considering he is playing a busted deck.

Santiako

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";194501849]I wanna see Ivan Floch win. That dude is the PT god right now.[/QUOTE]

I want Dickmann to win, just to see that even with all the busted Eldrazi shit, Affinity still fucks over everyone after 12+ years of existence.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";194501849]I wanna see Ivan Floch win. That dude is the PT god right now.[/QUOTE]

Dude's always there, but Tao's deck just stacks up favorably against everyone else's. I don't know if its by design that it has that advantage over the colorless version, but still.

Haines

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";194502428]Join the Floch Flock. He's got this.[/QUOTE]

Will you quit talking about lantern already :p

Affinity decks always remind me of just how wild Mirrodin's standard was. My memory is shady, but it was basically just Affinity, Tooth and Nail and Krark Clan, right?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think Twin would be good against the Eldrazi deck anyways.

Dude's always there, but Tao's deck just stacks up favorably against everyone else's. I don't know if its by design that it has that advantage over the colorless version, but still.

It just sorta feels like it's a stronger deck than the colourless in general. The coloured cost Eldrazi just seem to add more to the deck than the cards from the colourless version. It's not really any slower and it seems a good bit better if the game starts to stall. Skypawner gives a flyer and a scion. Drowner of Hope is absolutely ridiculous. Obligator is super swingy. Vile Aggregate can break a stall hard.

The main thing I see the colourless version potentially having over Draft Eldrazi is that it's able to better deal with certain decks pre-sideboard due to the main deck Chalices and Ratchet Bombs. The drawback there is that those aren't all that strong against another Eldrazi deck.

Angry Grimace

Affinity is one of those decks that's not likely to eat any bans any time soon and is pretty much permanently a Tier 1 deck but I don't feel like I'm skilled enough to play it.

I'm guessing I'm the only one who thinks DFC are kinda silly and unneeded.

they are but they are also interesting and they are an evolution of the really messy flip cards from Kamigawa.

2a.jpg

Just bought 3 playsets of Planar Chaos commons off Ebay for a total of $50 including shipping.

Let's watch and see if a) the orders actually get fulfilled, and b) Simian Spirit Guide stays above $4.

Last I checked, there's still another playset available for $35 including shipping if anyone wants to try their luck.

Daedardus

they are but they are also interesting and they are an evolution of the really messy flip cards from Kamigawa.

We need to go deeper. Triple faced cards with each face a flip card and the last flip a level card.

Just bought 3 playsets of Planar Chaos commons off Ebay for a total of $50 including shipping.

Let's watch and see if a) the orders actually get fulfilled, and b) Simian Spirit Guide stays above $4.

Last I checked, there's still another playset available for $35 including shipping if anyone wants to try their luck.

You'll get every Planechase common except Spirit Guide.

SSG is $4? I drafted like forty of those things. Man Planar Chaos was fun.

It spiked to $24.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom