• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucario

Fucking around with this Eldrazi stuff in Legacy and goddamn that shit is filthy with Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors and Mox Diamond in the deck.

Mind sharing your list? I'm still deciding if I want Mox Diamond or just SSG.

Here's what I'm working with right now --

4 Eye of Ugin
4 Eldrazi Temple
4 City of Traitors
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Wasteland
3 Crystal Vein
1 Cavern of Souls

4 Chalice of the Void
4 Trinisphere
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Mox Diamond

4 Eldrazi Mimic
4 Matter Reshaper
4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Reality Smasher
4 Endless One

SB:
3 Ensnaring Bridge
3 Sphere of Resistance
1 Thorn of Amythest
2 Tormod’s Crypt
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Cavern of Souls
1 Steel Hellkite
1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Dismember

Biggest concern is that it's too light on threats. Mimic probably getting cut for something else.

kirblar

I don't like Diamond. Doesn't make colorless, makes you pitch the best thing you have going for you. You're not a loam deck, it doesn't make sense.

One list was running Monolith, which I thought was cute.

Lucario

I don't like Diamond. Doesn't make colorless, makes you pitch the best thing you have going for you. You're not a loam deck, it doesn't make sense.

One list was running Monolith, which I thought was cute.

Yeah, Diamond has been goldfishing kind of awkwardly. Tossed it in thinking of how sweet it'd be to discard extra Eyes to, but that's definitely not enough justification to run a card (and extra lands to enable it.)

Was just looking at existing MUD lists and thinking about Monolith, which might be the right direction for the deck. Got a link to that list? I want to live the turn 3 Ulamog dream.

kirblar

CZ6uv6OWcAAlbbC.jpg:large

Lucario

Heh; it's basically the MUD list from the SCG Classic last month, but with Eldrazi slotted in.

Thanks. I'll test something like that alongside the dragon stompy variant I'm trying now. Also gonna cut the Mox Diamonds to slot in a few Endbringers and Oblivion Sowers.

edit: Turn 2 Bane of Bala Ged off Grim Monolith :V

I'm telling you guys, Legacy Eldrazi is all about Eldrazi Mimic, Matter Reshaper and Phyrexian Dreadnought.

1 mana +10/+11, eat your heart out Become Immense.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just feel like people who keep saying "let the meta adjust" are in denial that its doing something that's fundamentally broken in every format other than Vintage.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Turn 1 mimic into turn 2 reality smasher is absurd. Literally absurd. Obviously that's a nut draw, but a more realistic scenario is t1 mimic into t2 thought knot into t3 reality smasher = insta lose. Maybe infect can get out of the situation barely alive with an infect flyer.

El Topo

Turn 1 mimic into turn 2 reality smasher is absurd. Literally absurd. Obviously that's a nut draw, but a more realistic scenario is t1 mimic into t2 thought knot into t3 reality smasher = insta lose. Maybe infect can get out of the situation barely alive with an infect flyer.

That's happened quite a few times at the Pro Tour though. We've even had 2 Mimics T1 and Thought-Knot Seer T2. That is just nasty.

I just feel like people who keep saying "let the meta adjust" are in denial that its doing something that's fundamentally broken in every format other than Vintage.

A meta can only adjust so much if one deck seems so far ahead of the curve. It's not as if there's easy sideboard hate either.

Well somehow I managed to beat a GW nissa/Thought-Knot Seer deck with my pile. World Breaker on Isolation Zone helped, as well as my opponent getting greedy and trying to go one above ultimate with Nissa and getting fucked by my like 1 of 2 removal spells.

Wulfric

That guy on Reddit should have offered to buy the whole box and open it on camera. It would be fun to watch the PR team scramble in response.

I still can't believe we didn't get SOI or supplement set spoilers. The Pro Tour is one the few times per year they have thousands of dedicated fans watching at the same time; you're essentially losing money not advertising to these people (OGW doesn't count).

Aaaand there's the second loss. I guess 2-2 going into the last round isn't terrible for a sealed pool with literally no removal that kills a creature with more than two toughness by itself other than Scour From Existence.

No Isolation Zones, no Oblivion Strikes, not even a Boulder Salvo lol

And I'm a green deck with no big creatures below 6 mana lol

:-(

I got double prophet of distortion though! ...even though I have to use sylvan scrying to find the wastes to activate it lol

Man, my deck yesterday was waaaay better, just got the unlucks this weekend.

I just think the way you've gotta deal with metagame issues like this is to get data. If there's no way to deal with it then it'll be clear pretty quick and they can ban it after SOI. But I don't think that (again, excepting totally insane stuff like Memory Jar) they should pre-emptively ban stuff before people take a good-faith crack at destroying it.

An entire pack got out there, and a box is theoretically floating around. They might have to respond.

That box doesn't matter unless someone shares it (and it sounds like the original guy at least probably doesn't want to.) One pack isn't even significant by historical standards. The OGW leak was way, way worse than this.

noquarter

Really shows that control has no spot in modern right now. Somehow the usually strong U is weak in modern and I hope they will give it something, just at least try unbanning something. With that though I think Merfolk probably has the best matchup aside from Affinity, packing hate with Spreading Seas MD and Seas Claim SB, against Eldrazi. Both of those help Merfolk and turnoff the Sol lands.

I really think Eye will be the target of the ban, not Temple. Temple does allow for the deck to be fast, but really won't allow it to be ridiculous. Still won't see a whole lot of T1 and T2 Temples, so Thought Knot just becomes non flash non evasive Vendillion Cligue and Reality Smasher will see a lot more T4 plays. Also keeps the board from being clogged up with Mimics T1. If they ban both they kill the deck.

OnPoint

Really shows that control has no spot in modern right now. Somehow the usually strong U is weak in modern and I hope they will give it something, just at least try unbanning something. With that though I think Merfolk probably has the best matchup aside from Affinity, packing hate with Spreading Seas MD and Seas Claim SB, against Eldrazi. Both of those help Merfolk and turnoff the Sol lands.

I really think Eye will be the target of the ban, not Temple. Temple does allow for the deck to be fast, but really won't allow it to be ridiculous. Still won't see a whole lot of T1 and T2 Temples, so Thought Knot just becomes non flash non evasive Vendillion Cligue and Reality Smasher will see a lot more T4 plays. Also keeps the board from being clogged up with Mimics T1. If they ban both they kill the deck.

To be fair, the Eldrazi Deck that won was UR... but seriously though, these Eldrazi decks just get in too fast for blue's usual tempo plays to matter. Free Mimics? Turn two Thought-Knots? It's unbelievable.

I also agree Eye will be getting it before Temple, if they decide to break it up. Eye is the card enabling the most broken of the draws.

kirblar

The deck that finished the best in the MODO PTQ outside of Eldrazi?

U/W control.

Eye and SSG are easy bans. Temple I feel should be left alone, its nowhere near as busted.

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like it's a fake... :(

Only one card has ever been emergency banned and it was in a situation where months of tournaments had already been ruined and the entire R&D team nearly got fired. This doesn't come anywhere close.

Eye and SSG are easy bans. Temple I feel should be left alone, its nowhere near as busted.

Yeah, I don't see any reason to completely wreck the deck if it turns out an Eyeless version is competitive but fair.

kirblar

I think there's a multitude of overreaction right now.
The overreaction is the "this makes the splinter twin ban a mistake" thing.

The deck's completely broken and will make the format stupid for the next two months. This is going to be like Darksteel-era standard, with 1 deck dominating, and the only viable alternatives being ones that can somewhat deal with the BS directly. (This is why the infi-life chord decks and U/W are doing ok.)

I'm hoping the ban decision they go for is Eye of Ugin, leaving Eldrazi Temple alone. It's a shame, since Eye of Ugin is the more interesting card, but it's the one that results in turn-one hand dumping. With Eldrazi Temple, you do still get a potential turn-2 Thought-Knot Seer, but you'd just have one Eldrazi Mimic out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";194571635]Cmon Wizards, just let me play Shardless BUG in Modern already. I'll even use shocklands![/QUOTE]
You know mechanic is a mistake when a grizzly bears with your mechanic stapled to it is a Legacy staple.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Honestly, going back through the footage, you know what strikes me? Mimic is what really broke the deck open. Yeah, Eye is the enabler and all. But what'll get it banned isn't be able to generate extra mana (Tron), it's ability to reasonable drop 4 power on turn 1 (that can reasonable turn to 6-8 power the next turn) without tapping out. That's really why UR was stronger. The "trash" cards that cost a single mana, and all. I wonder what this weekend would have looked like if Mimic didn't exist.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
The overreaction is the "this makes the splinter twin ban a mistake" thing.

The deck's completely broken and will make the format stupid for the next two months. This is going to be like Darksteel-era standard, with 1 deck dominating, and the only viable alternatives being ones that can somewhat deal with the BS directly. (This is why the infi-life chord decks and U/W are doing ok.)

Well, I would say if Twin was still around, many of those people playing Eldrazi would be playing Twin as the "safe" option for modern, because Twin always had game against any deck. The banning of Twin did allow this to happen just because people were not afraid of doing something really out there.

Recall

So i guess wizards will respond to the leaks tmrw?

Every set release the same spoilers leak, once an item has leaked you can't patch it up.

What can they do?

If anything isn't it a weird form of uncontrolled marketing or does it genuinely damage sales?

Haines

Banned
Every set release the same spoilers leak, once an item has leaked you can't patch it up.

What can they do?

If anything isn't it a weird form of uncontrolled marketing or does it genuinely damage sales?

Its pretty bad. Think about it. My first impression of the new set was really bad pictures that i could barely make out.

I would imagine they are doing most of the work behind the scenes right now figuring out how it leKed from the printing factory. But if they do know for fact a box got out, i would maybe want to get ahead of that.

Yeah, there's no imaginable world where leaving Twin around made this into some perfect kumbaya PT.

My main issue is twofold. First, that we didn't get to measure the effect of the Twin ban. Second, most of us believe that the format was healthy with Twin in it and that the banning was just to shake up the format for the PT. Eldrazi broke the PT, so the Twin ban didn't get to accomplish its purpose and Twin was sacrificed for no gain. We got two-for-one'd by WotC on this one.

Angry Grimace

What can they do?

The hilarious part about the Kozilek leak was that it was literally accompanied by the two cards which made it impossible to definitively know what that the diamond was colorless mana because Wastes has no text and Mirrorpool and Kozilek are the only cards in the entire set without reminder text as to what the diamond is.

The hilarious part about the Kozilek leak was that it was literally accompanied by the two cards which made it impossible to definitively know what that the diamond was colorless mana because Wastes has no text and Mirrorpool and Kozilek are the only cards in the entire set without reminder text as to what the diamond is.

I understand why WotC was so frustrated about that leak - the speculation about the <> symbol wasn't very constructive. They really did need to control that message to make it stick the way it needed to, and the leak prevented them from doing that.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Well, it seems they learned. WotC is most definitely already dealing with the leak of the SoI pack (protip: real businesses don't have 'weekends' when shit goes wrong) and we're not hearing anything about it. Especially from a grownup who calls himself "Trick" and attempts to talk down to his consumer base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom