• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record you're all wrong and Innistrad shouldn't be on the NA side of the planes

this is the moon in europe.

man_in_the_moon_by_pear_pear-d56txq0.jpg

No man on the moon no fucks given. Fix it WoTC.

Wichu

For the record you're all wrong and Innistrad shouldn't be on the NA side of the planes

this is the moon in europe.

No man on the moon no fucks given. Fix it WoTC.

But... the moon looks the same wherever you are in the world? Except in Australia where it's upside down?

unless that was the joke, in which case whoosh

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Nah, in Europe the moon isn't white but is actually a dark shade of crimson and it speaks to you when the lights are out telling you things, secret things, that man ought to not know. At least, that's been my experience since moving here.

Haines

Banned
Man, that set looks dope. This block looks to be legit.

Huh. Going to be hard to not excited for those themes. Damn.

I wonder if the announcement was either delayed from while figuring out the leak, or a reaction to the leak and negative around no product shown,

/goes back to deck building in hearthstone

If Eternal Masters is real I hope the focus is actually on Modern. Legacy is boring and the older cards are mostly poorly designed compared to the quality of cards we get now.

OnPoint

If Eternal Masters is real, I pray it's somehow a way around the reserved list. If it's not, it absoLUTEly needs to be centered around Modern. The effect it will have on reserved list prices/demand will be insane otherwise.

red13th

If Eternal Masters is real I hope the focus is actually on Modern. Legacy is boring and the older cards are mostly poorly designed compared to the quality of cards we get now.

I hope the focus will be OCD cubers like me. I already have a wishlist. :p
I just realised it's the PERFECT opportunity for a (non-foil) Volkan Baga Chrome Mox! WotC please.

My main issue is twofold. First, that we didn't get to measure the effect of the Twin ban. Second, most of us believe that the format was healthy with Twin in it and that the banning was just to shake up the format for the PT. Eldrazi broke the PT, so the Twin ban didn't get to accomplish its purpose and Twin was sacrificed for no gain. We got two-for-one'd by WotC on this one.

It shook up the environment fine, there were tons of new or resurgent decks in the field. You ban Eye tomorrow and the Modern metagame for the next big event looks like the PT minus the Eldrazi decks.

Honestly, going back through the footage, you know what strikes me? Mimic is what really broke the deck open.

Worth noting that of all the ultra-powerful Eldrazi in OGW it's the only one that doesn't require C and therefore can get reduced to free by Eye.

Emrakul confirmed I guess

Beyond the use of "Eldritch" (both set names having Lovecraft references should make it absolutely clear this is an intentional nod) Trick's response about the set symbol was "Nope. We are holding that back for a while" which means it's almost certainly a spoiler, probably of exactly this.

They're rapidly heading towards double large sets with 205 in the "small set" although that sounds like more DFCs.

Rosewater said a few months ago that it's easier to talk about large and small but they should probably call them large and medium now based on size. I think it's better this way since the small sets have to bear a lot more weight in the draft format now. (All the Innistrad sets are bigger than normal since DFCs are just added on top though, yeah.)

Apparently, he has an in and that source confirmed Eldrich Moon a while back, along with Eternal Masters.

He says that he didn't have a previous source that confirmed both but that he has some secret way to confirm this anyway. It sounds like there's a spot on a website somewhere that's leaking info that he knows about but no one else has picked up on yet. Given that he wasn't able to make a prediction in advance I'm not sure I buy it without more info, although it's not some fly-by-night account or anything.

FeD.nL

Anyone here playing a through the breach deck? It looks fun to play but looking to hear some more opinions before I start ordering pieces.

Firemind

What? Modern is the boring format. You can actually do degenerate stuff in the other formats without it getting banned within a year.

bigkrev

The fact that they changed the World Magic Cup to Modern instead of Standard tells me that there probably won't be a Modern Pro Tour next year, fwiw.

ironmang

Since I'll be trying to sell out of legacy soon I really hope they don't do anything with the reserved list until after then. The format is dead and I don't really care about the accessibility of the format unless wotc and scg were going to take a high level of interest in legacy again through pro tours and invitationals.

G.ZZZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zZzRmk8G8k

This list is similar to what i'm testing now, with some differences. I don't run equipments, but Dismember maindecks, i run 3 urborg, 4 eyes, 2 cities instead of 1-3-3, i run no revoker main, i use thorn instead of chalice and i run 4 Matter reshaper, and i run only 1 endbringer instead of 2. Deck is fun as hell, but has some really rough MU especially G1, like Lands which just steamroll you back and forth.

y2dvd

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";194619939]OGW being so strong it had more impact on Modern than BFZ did on Standard is crazy.[/QUOTE]

It's what we wanted after all the underpowered bitching we did with BFZ!

The overreaction is the "this makes the splinter twin ban a mistake" thing.

The deck's completely broken and will make the format stupid for the next two months. This is going to be like Darksteel-era standard, with 1 deck dominating, and the only viable alternatives being ones that can somewhat deal with the BS directly. (This is why the infi-life chord decks and U/W are doing ok.)

After streaming the tournament I just went to streaming other Magic channels and it was like, all Eldrazi vs. Eldrazi EVERYWHERE. That and the sane people were playing Legacy.

Haines

Banned
Kibler spoke of the tourney a bit on his hearthstone stream. He doesnt really seem to care about his performance, as he admits he just doesnt play magic that much. I remember him saying last year he was going to try and win as much hearthstone as he could in 2016 so he probably just figures he can compete in a smaller pool and make dat streamer money.

Im suprised more magic pros dont try to grab that easier hearthstone money tbh. I understand kibler has a personality that helps him out a lot tho.

kirblar

Kibler spoke of the tourney a bit on his hearthstone stream. He doesnt really seem to care about his performance, as he admits he just doesnt play magic that much. I remember him saying last year he was going to try and win as much hearthstone as he could in 2016 so he probably just figures he can compete in a smaller pool and make dat streamer money.

Im suprised more magic pros dont try to grab that easier hearthstone money tbh. I understand kibler has a personality that helps him out a lot tho.
He also gets paid to stream.

Daedardus

Does it matter actually? Maybe they just like the Magic game more and don't really care for the extra money. If you really cared about money, you wouldn't play Magic anyway, since a high-skilled job is a more reliable income especially with all the expenses involved in Magic.

bigkrev

Kibler was one of the designers of the original World of Warcraft TCG that Upper Deck put out for years, and is a huge Warcraft fan. There are very few people (maybe less than a dozen) in their late 20s/early 30s who's main/only source of income is playing TCGs- for most people, they still play Magic because they love the game. If you hooked Kibler up to a lie detector test, I wouldn't be surprised if he said he liked Hearthstone more than Magic right now.

ultron87

When would hypothetical Eternal Masters even come out? SOI is in April and Eldritch Moon is July so there isn't the usual summer gap.

Kibler was one of the designers of the original World of Warcraft TCG that Upper Deck put out for years, and is a huge Warcraft fan. There are very few people (maybe less than a dozen) in their late 20s/early 30s who's main/only source of income is playing TCGs- for most people, they still play Magic because they love the game. If you hooked Kibler up to a lie detector test, I wouldn't be surprised if he said he liked Hearthstone more than Magic right now.

I still have some Warcraft TCG cards at home. It works similar to hearthstone.

bigkrev

When would hypothetical Eternal Masters even come out? SOI is in April and Eldritch Moon is July so there isn't the usual summer gap.

Late May/Early June. Dragons of Tarkir was March 27th, Modern Masters 2 was May 22nd, Magic Origins was July 8th

This would make sense.

Unified Modern is also a really good team format.

Unified Team X >>> Solo X for all possible formats, but yeah I think Modern is one where it improves even moreso since the need to have three completely different, solid decks makes for very interesting metagaming.

I have to admit I was 100% wrong and they should get rid of the modern PT again. Standard is a better showcase given what they want these events to do and just one really big event per year means everyone sees the tourney where people fuck up the format and not any that follow up where it shakes out.

Does it matter actually? Maybe they just like the Magic game more and don't really care for the extra money.

I think good Magic players who want to make money still get into Poker.

Yeah, that's a good point. It's really fine for Planechase (or whatever) to come out in August/September after a July set but not so much a booster-based, competitive-oriented draft set.

Late May/Early June. Dragons of Tarkir was March 27th, Modern Masters 2 was May 22nd, Magic Origins was July 8th

They didn't announce it at this PT so it is actually too late for this to happen purely on a logistical level.

bigkrev

I have to admit I was 100% wrong and they should get rid of the modern PT again. Standard is a better showcase given what they want these events to do and just one really big event per year means everyone sees the tourney where people fuck up the format and not any that follow up where it shakes out.

My one fear is that if it's not a Pro Tour format, we won't see braintrusts work together to create decks. I don't think we get the CFB Eldrazi deck if we don't have the Pro Tour, because there just isn't the incentive to take the manhours to create the deck.

They didn't announce it at this PT so it is actually too late for this to happen purely on a logistical level.

They announced Conspiracy on their Website around this time in 2014 for a July release.
If they aren't running a triple GP weekend for the set, they could totally announce it on the website

Man, that set looks dope. This block looks to be legit.

Huh. Going to be hard to not excited for those themes. Damn.

I wonder if the announcement was either delayed from while figuring out the leak, or a reaction to the leak and negative around no product shown,

/goes back to deck building in hearthstone

After watching Pride and Prejudice Zombies last night (seriously some aspects of that film captured exactly what I imagined in the original Innistrad block), and the return of Game of Thrones in April, I am becoming very excited for the SOI block!

Wish they'd have made some rare PWs in OGW for the oaths and the tutor. There really should be rare PWs anyway.

I realize it could be unflavorful but it'd probably also free up designspace for them. Like a PW with only a + and a - minus effect.

Firemind

Modern gives a larger card pool that makes deck building more interesting. I mean I could suggest that you could play Yugioh instead if you like broken things, but I have a feeling you would take umbrage to that.
I don't know how anyone can say Legacy is broken. The restricted list is broken I guess.

Legacy Eldrazi would be a sight to behold.

At some point they should pull a Kamigawa for Planeswalkers and have 50+ in a single set, at uncommon an up.
How about no.

The first one was a joke a serious try would be

1R Boltwalker

R

-3 Boltwalker deals 3 damage to up to one target creature or player

+2 Boltwalker deals 2 damage to you and 1 damage to target opponent

3G Lurewalker

R

+5 Until end of turn Lurewalker becomes a 1/1 creature with haste and "Lurewalker must attack each turn if able. Lurewalker must be blocked by each creatue blocking player controls if able".

-10 something powerful.

The first one was a joke a serious try would be

1R Boltwalker

R

-3 Boltwalker deals 3 damage to up to one target creature or player

+2 Boltwalker deals 2 damage to you and 1 damage to target opponent

I think that's still a joke, that card would be completely dumb in basically every limited format. There just isn't much good design for planeswalkers.

Also, Eldrich Moon is a bad name and sounds like something a heavy metal band would reject for their sophomore album.

I think that's still a joke, that card would be completely dumb in basically every limited format. There just isn't much good design for planeswalkers.

Also, Eldrich Moon is a bad name and sounds like something a heavy metal band would reject for their sophomore album.

Yeah I'd either have to raise the costs/punishment or lower the amount of loyalty counters gained.

1R Boltwalker

R

-3 Boltwalker deals 3 damage to target creature or player

+2 Boltwalker deals 3 damage to you and 1 damage to target opponent

I just like the idea of a lightning strike with upside. I just don't know how to balance punishment and reward. Like I could cut the 1 damage but then you'd have to take 9 damage for every 6 damage you deal with it. The revised version like this deals 9 damage for 9 damage you take which would be fair but at the costs it's unfun to play against when your opponent can just shoot every creature you play while developing a board.

I might look at Daretti who does have additional costs for his activated abilities.

{R} Boltwalker

R

-3{1R}: Boltwalker deals 3 damage to up to one target creature or player

+2{R}: Boltwalker deals 3 damage to you and 1 damage to target opponent

Ugh I can't believe I agree with you. I'd much rather see Modern supported at the GP level than at the PT level at this point, especially if it means that they'll be less meddlesome with the ban list.

Help me with this trade decision, please.

MY:

4 Copperline Gorge FOIL
1 Cryptic Command Player Reward Promo FOIL
1 Lord of Atlantis FOIL

for HIS:

1 Ancient Tomb
1 Karn Liberated
1 Mystic Gate
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Wasteland

kirblar

Brian dale
‏@jtempkin

Hasbro list investment in mtgo as the a reason their expenses went up company wide last quarter

#ChangesAreComing
Normally I'd say this is nothing, but the context of this raises multiple eyebrows.

I love a modern PT, but it clearly needs to be a separate event, and the WMC works, especially with the team format.

Haines

Banned
Please look at Hearthstone and make mtgo better. Please!

That would be great.

Im suprised after hearthstones success (ive no idea how popular magic online is, but i imagine its pretty much just diehards) there arent more ccg's popping up on the market. I remember an elder scrolls one announced i think?

Just feels like theres a huge market there ripe for picking. But i believe you have to make it f2p like duels and heathstone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom