• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucario

Bought into R/G eldrazi online, since the pieces haven't spiked much yet.

.... It's gross. It beats the other Eldrazi decks and out-grinds the decks that were designed to beat colorless and R/U. Ridiculously fun deck, too.

Santiako

From Blogatog:
redbladecharger asked: What is the next set that you are going to be lead on?

I’m a co-lead for all the large sets after Shadows over Innistrad for a while.

What sets has Maro lead in the last 10 years? (Genuinely curious, I was out of the loop for that time)

kirblar

If expenses are noticeably up company wide and being attributed to MTGO? Something we don't know about is probably going on.

What sets has Maro lead in the last 10 years? (Genuinely curious, I was out of the loop for that time)

His full list of leads:

• Tempest
  • Unglued
  • Urza's Destiny
  • Odyssey
  • Mirrodin
  • Fifth Dawn
  • Ravnica
  • Future Sight
  • Shadowmoor
  • Eventide
  • Zendikar
  • Scars of Mirrodin
  • Innistrad
  • Dark Ascension
  • Gatecrash (co-lead)
  • Theros
  • Khans of Tarkir
  • Battle for Zendikar

A lot of things, at least some of which are his fault, went wrong with BFZ which fits this description, but historically the sets with Rosewater leading design and Erik Lauer leading development are some of the best.

If expenses are noticeably up company wide and being attributed to MTGO? Something we don't know about is probably going on.

Hopefully they're paying a secret external contractor to develop a new platform.

G.ZZZ

Modern gives a larger card pool that makes deck building more interesting. I mean I could suggest that you could play Yugioh instead if you like broken things, but I have a feeling you would take umbrage to that.

Legacy is so broken the best deck is UW control, and only 1 combo deck is considered Tier 1. Not to talk about the fact that you have white weenie as a top tier deck too.
I mean, it's fast in the sense that its turns are compressed and its answer cards are the best there are in the game (minus misstep), but broken? By which metric, the fact that blue is dominant? Arguably so i guess, i dislike blue as much as anyone else, but it being good mean permission is abundant and that keep stupid things out of the formats.

Legacy require your deck to either be fast, or interactive, but also give strong interactive tools: mana denial (waste-port), tax effects (thalia, thorn of amethyst), lock pieces which can be played T1 (chalice), or simply plain permission and discard (therapy, FoW, Daze). Modern on the other hand striked me as always way more focused on your own game plan (aka be fast or die) that the one of the opponents because there aren't simply enough angle of attacks, with the best being discard (IoK), permission a far second. The new eldrazi deck is a testament to this: in legacy, even while having more sol-lands and being a really good deck, it's probably still not Tier 1 , because it's still semi-soft to combo, can be contested by control (even if Miracle is still strongly favored), and has some abysmal matchups vs decks that attack heavily non-basic mana bases (lands ruin Eldrazi badly, and D&T is unfavored).

Obviously my strict opinion, but Modern is just not that good of a format. The idea of having an eternal format without strong answer cards make for a fastly inflating banlist and in general bad experience of playing against cheesy combos or linear decks all the time. Standard, draft or legacy feel much more coherently structured, either by design or just chance.

Santiako

His full list of leads:

-big list-

A lot of things, at least some of which are his fault, went wrong with BFZ which fits this description, but historically the sets with Rosewater leading design and Erik Lauer leading development are some of the best.

That's a good list, nice. Having him as colead for all big sets in the near future can't be bad then.

kirblar

The big issue with their current structure is that if the story causes mechanical problems, they can't easily fix things. Had you flipped Oath and BFZ? So much actually works.

G.ZZZ

No ban-modern has Elves vs White weenie in the finals LOL.

Better format than actual modern! Lots of chrome moxens, chalices, and skullclamps.

G.ZZZ

Isn't lands the best legacy deck? Followed by miracles

Lands is probably the best deck in a format without combo yeah. But as long as there is a little amount of combo, land just scoop to that G1, and even with 4 chalices 4 sphere from the sideboard it's extremely unfavored. Miracle has been generally more consistent in an open field.

ironmang

All constructed just feels shitty now. Standard too expensive, modern too eldrazi, legacy too dead. I actually enjoy current limited and would gladly hit weekly sealed pptqs if they were offered more frequently.

bigkrev

Is the Caverns of Despair spike just someone decided they wanted to own all the copies of a unplayable rare from Legends?

red13th

All constructed just feels shitty now. Standard too expensive, modern too eldrazi, legacy too dead. I actually enjoy current limited and would gladly hit weekly sealed pptqs if they were offered more frequently.

yeah, Legacy was the most fun one but it died :/

Kologhan's Command is at 15 now.
Hasn't it been around there for a while now?
His full list of leads:

Bring back Brian Tinsman.
I own his book

I'm in the same boat. I already sold out of both Standard and Legacy, and I'm in the process of selling out of Modern despite having an awesome deck for the current format.

Despite that, I love OGW limited and I'm gonna try to enter every online and local PPTQ for sealed to try and qualify for Sydney. I really want to go to Australia.

If I make it I could always just play cheap aggro for standard :)

The big issue with their current structure is that if the story causes mechanical problems, they can't easily fix things. Had you flipped Oath and BFZ? So much actually works.

What's funny to me is that Rosewater has actually noted this specifically as one of the lessons of Kamigawa (that story is much more flexible than mechanics.) I think they're gonna have to relearn another variant of it over the first few blocks of this new story approach.

The message, not the messenger. I was hugely against dropping the Modern PT and was quite vocal about it when they first tried to. I just don't like what it's become at this point.

Yeah, I too was pretty opposed, but I think ultimately they need to think about PTs as promo events for individual sets and showcase other formats in events outside that once-a-season calendar.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";194651114]
Bring back Brian Tinsman.[/QUOTE]

There aren't a lot of designers who can say they led the best draft set of all time and the worst draft set of all time.

bigkrev

There aren't a lot of designers who can say they led the best draft set of all time and the worst draft set of all time.

Yeah, it's crazy how he hit it so far out of the park with Champions of Kamigawa, did a bunch of other well regarded sets through the years with Time Spiral and Rise of Eldrazi, and then threw away all his goodwill with the putrid, most poorly designed limited of all time. I bet Triple Arabian Nights or Legends would play better than AVR.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think the problem with BFZ was that it was a fuck-up, not that the order needed to be reversed. BFZ would still be shit as the small set, it just sucked - I don't think BFZ is nearly as redeemed as you guys are suggested simply if you switched it around. It's just independently bad.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think the problem with BFZ was that it was a fuck-up, not that the order needed to be reversed. BFZ would still be shit as the small set, it just sucked - I don't think BFZ is nearly as redeemed as you guys are suggested simply if you switched it around. It's just independently bad.

I think a lot of it gets better if you just excise ingestors/processors from it. They both overstuff it and are spread to thin to feel like a functional theme. They needed a different Eldrazi mechanic that didn't require as much setup

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with Ingest and Process is that there's not enough to enable it and not enough payoff for doing it.

It's one of those things where it ends up not mattering to me because OGW salvaged the block in terms of Constructed and because BFZx3 was not a particularly bad format to play.

The Technomancer

The problem with Ingest and Process is that there's not enough to enable it and not enough payoff for doing it.

Right, exactly. BFZ with any other mechanic in place of those two is probably a much stronger set in Limited. For Constructed, well, I think they just needed more development time.

Angry Grimace

Right, exactly. BFZ with any other mechanic in place of those two is probably a much stronger set in Limited. For Constructed, well, I think they just needed more development time.

It's one of those things where it didn't work great and neither did allies, but the set wasn't horrible to draft, it was just a very middle of the road set. I just think a lot of the talk is a bit pointless because its not like BFZ draft was AVR tier. IDK I don't think it was worse than Theros x3 or BNG-THS-THS

Yeah, it's crazy how he hit it so far out of the park with Champions of Kamigawa, did a bunch of other well regarded sets through the years with Time Spiral and Rise of Eldrazi, and then threw away all his goodwill with the putrid, most poorly designed limited of all time. I bet Triple Arabian Nights or Legends would play better than AVR.

The idea of a format where a legit way to win a game is Turn 1 "Land, go." Turn 2 "Land, City in a Bottle" amuses me far more than it probably should.

The Technomancer

It's one of those things where it didn't work great and neither did allies, but the set wasn't horrible to draft, it was just a very middle of the road set. I just think a lot of the talk is a bit pointless because its not like BFZ draft was AVR tier. IDK I don't think it was worse than Theros x3 or BNG-THS-THS

Personally I'd put it above BNG-THS-THS, but I really liked triple Theros draft. That's just me though

Yeah, it's crazy how he hit it so far out of the park with Champions of Kamigawa, did a bunch of other well regarded sets through the years with Time Spiral and Rise of Eldrazi, and then threw away all his goodwill with the putrid, most poorly designed limited of all time.

I kind of want to blame development for AVR because the problem isn't mostly on the obvious design level, but the more I look at it the more clear it is that the problem is deep and fundamental. While looking at stuff about this I was amused to discover now-R&D-member Jackie Lee wrote a scathing takedown of AVR back in 2012 and with that in mind I think I understand how both of these sets came from the same designer.

What makes Rise of the Eldrazi such a good format? It does something strange and unusual, all the cards in the set are warped to support that exact strange thing, and the gameplay that strange thing brings about is interesting and strategic and deep and fun. What makes AVR so godawful? The set also does something weird, and everything is warped around it, but the weird thing it does is godawful and miserable and not fun at all. Both sets are built around these "janky combos," where you have cards that are shitty in real Magic but combine in the right ways to be incredible in their specific environments; the difference is that in ROE you have a lot more options for how to execute with those combos, and the archetypes are very evenly balanced, while in AVR everything is either garbage or a blowout.

"Redeemed" is a strong word, and I don't think it works if you take the sets as they are and swap them. I think the big thing for me is just that colorless Eldrazi with colorless mana is a coherent design, and exile is a coherent shift to fill the place of annihilator, and so if you made one set full of colorless exiley guys and then followed that up with a set of guys who pay off that exileyness it'd read better.

Personally I'd put it above BNG-THS-THS, but I really liked triple Theros draft. That's just me though

Yeah I consider THSx3 to be an actively good format so I wouldn't agree with this specific claim, although I agree that BFZx3 is a very middling environment, not an awful one.

Toxi

Banned
And then they inexplicably drop it in the next set, so I'm left wondering why they had it in the first place.

I like the idea of Ingest and Process on a mechanical and flavor level. But the idea is worth nothing if they barely do anything with it.

ultron87

BFZs various draft archetypes were pretty cool to run when they fired properly. Any of the good Devoid decks or the black white life gain deck were fun to play. I think a lot of the problems came from Green being so catastrophically awful that it put the squeeze on all the other archetypes by making no one want anything to do with 4 of the 10 color pairs.

Exokell

Banned
BFZs various draft archetypes were pretty cool to run when they fired properly. Any of the good Devoid decks or the black white life gain deck were fun to play. I think a lot of the problems came from Green being so catastrophically awful that it put the squeeze on all the other archetypes by making no one want anything to do with 4 of the 10 color pairs.
Lol you don't know how many times I forced green for an awaken deck. That archetype is so much fun especially you're always passed bring to light.

Angry Grimace

The flavor text makes the block sound like Jace is the detective in a murder-mystery.

kirblar

Pointed out on Reddit-

51.jpg

JulianImp

Cone of blue stuff. Cute.

It's interesting to see land untapping again after so long, but I guess untapping only two lands when the spell costs 5 mana means it can't get out of hand in Standard, and costs too much to be viable in eternal formats where some lands can produce two or more mana at a time.

kirblar

From several hours ago in this thread in response to the Heronless Moon theories:
I don't remember flavor text from commons from sets I've tried to purge the memories of drafting! :p

When I credit to Reddit it's so that I'm not just stealing shit from Reddit and pretending I'm smart. :)

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Bought into R/G eldrazi online, since the pieces haven't spiked much yet.

.... It's gross. It beats the other Eldrazi decks and out-grinds the decks that were designed to beat colorless and R/U. Ridiculously fun deck, too.
I'm running a mono green variant, with titan's presence, reality contortion(? +3/-3) as removal, a couple Hedron archives, 4x reality smashers, 4x thought knots, 2x ugin, 3x world breaker, and 2x ulamog as top end. It's truly gross.

Rattleclaw turn 2, thought knot turn 3, reality smasher turn 4, ramp or more reality smashers/thought knot on turn 5. While the opponent figures out a way to not immediately die, I keep ramping into their demise.

So good.

I played R/G and it had a lot of awkward draws, plus kozilek's return isn't all that good versus abzan or rally, so it's a dead card game 1 a lot of the time. Mono green seems so much smoother it's nuts.

Angry Grimace

I'm running a mono green variant, with titan's presence, reality contortion(? +3/-3) as removal, a couple Hedron archives, 4x reality smashers, 4x thought knots, 2x ugin, 3x world breaker, and 2x ulamog as top end. It's truly gross.

Rattleclaw turn 2, thought knot turn 3, reality smasher turn 4, ramp or more reality smashers/thought knot on turn 5. While the opponent figures out a way to not immediately die, I keep ramping into their demise.

So good.
He's talking about the RG Modern variant that has Ancient Stirrings and Kozilek's Return.

Angry Grimace

This thing with Risen Executioner is kinda funny.

NDGLICk.png

BFZ's big limited issue is that it's one of the worst sealed formats of all time.

lol sealed

BFZs various draft archetypes were pretty cool to run when they fired properly. Any of the good Devoid decks or the black white life gain deck were fun to play.

Yeah, much like the boogieman Modern deck, the Devoid draft deck is surprisingly enjoyable to play.

Also, more SOI leaks!

If this has got to happen, I feel like pack contents (and therefore, commons) is much less deflating than just getting all the mythics dumped on us at once.

Angry Grimace

Let's see how long it takes Trick Jarrett to blame the players for this happening as opposed to WOTC fucking up and sending boxes of SOI to someone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom