• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think a huge issue with both mechanics is they just don't fit the Eldrazi at all, in the slightest.

They are are perfect for Phyrexians - heck, Phyrexians have been using ingest and process as part of their vocabulary and 'what they do' for decades. It fits their concept completely - they destroy you, and use your own strengths against you. Making your enemies cards a resource for you to use is literally their entire concept thematically. Even the way the mechanics interact is Phyrexians - you're literally building a machine with your deck to do one thing that leads to another.

Meanwhile, it's totally out of theme for the Eldrazi - they just destroy stuff. Painfully, on a massive scale. They don't build machines and develop complex strategies that rely on you doing multiple things in the right order, they ramp up into huge eldritch monstrosities that annihilate you on a level never before seen. They change the rules and break the rules to kill you.

I do wonder if process and ingest were discarded ideas from Scars of Mirrodin, I just cannot get over how thematically wrong they are for the Eldrazi, and how perfect they are for Phyrexians.

Why not allow the Eldrazi to turn opponents lands into Wastes? It's not land destruction in a sense, but color destruction.
Doesn't one of them leave behind that "waste" poop anyway? lol
It's thematic, and kinda cool gameplay wise.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
But that would have ruined 4 color Christmas.

Sneak preview of the Clue tokens in SOI:

b5f48e3b44b6e328bb005befe04bed04.jpg

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Aaaaand ToyWiz is screwing me out of my Chalice of the Voids I bought from them before the big spike. Sent me an email today, four days after I placed the order. I've had more trouble with vendors this Modern season than I have ever had in my history buying cards. These spikes are making for some frustrating transactions.

Aaaaand ToyWiz is screwing me out of my Chalice of the Voids I bought from them before the big spike. Sent me an email today, four days after I placed the order. I've had more trouble with vendors this Modern season than I have ever had in my history buying cards. These spikes are making for some frustrating transactions.

It's become "normal." Vendors aren't worried about losing business for it.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

Yeah, in the past I only ever bought cards off eBay and actually never had anything like this happen. Recently had a huge technical disaster with eBay that caused me days of headaches on the phone with customer support, so I have started buying from other sources. Not been having great luck that way either.

Think I'm just gonna focus on filling out my Legends collection for the foreseeable future. These erratic card prices are giving me nothing but grief.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

TCGPlayer is the only vendor I know of that actively does anything to stop that - they will suspend accounts of sellers who renege on sales due to price spikes.

guill

Hi Guys Two questions:

1. Do you think Reality Smasher and Seer will go down in price? Im missing 3 of them each, not sure if it is the best idea to buy them now.

2. I also have an Arid Mesa Expedition? Where will be the place you recommend to sell it online?

Thanks

OnPoint

Hi Guys Two questions:

1. Do you think Reality Smasher and Seer will go down in price? Im missing 3 of them each, not sure if it is the best idea to buy them now.

2. I also have an Arid Mesa Expedition? Where will be the place you recommend to sell it online?

Thanks
Depending on price I'm interested. Send me a PM

Angry Grimace

Hi Guys Two questions:

Thanks

1) Yes, all prices will go down once hype wears down a bit.
2) eBay, or to the guy above me.

Wulfric

Man, I can't wait for SOI. From the art and cards we've seen so far, it certainly echoes the spooky factor of original Innistrad. Eldritch Moon looks fabulous, despite Liliana probably staying mono black. The Innistrad artbook seems like a decent purchase if you like the gothic art. Hopefully Wizards gives Cynthia Sheppard and Karla Ortiz some cards, they always do great work in this style.

Unfortunately I'll miss spoilers and prerelease due to basic training (on the plane now, actually). Enjoy Shadows prerelease everyone, and I'll be back to slinging spells soon enough. Maybe I can draft 3x SOI after the release sometime. :3

Confirmed, no more event decks and clash packs

serpens asked: OGW didn't have an Event Deck or Clash Pack, and now the announcements for *both* Shadows Over Innistrad and Eldritch Moon don't mention them either - have these products been officially discontinued?

Yes, they’ve officially been discontinued. We are constantly evaluating our product line to make the best series of products we can which means from time to time discontinuing some them.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Paste Magazine's comprehensive guide to "The 10 Most Interesting Cards in Magic: Oath of the Gatewatch":

10. Matter Reshaper
9. Hissing Quagmire
8. Vines of the Recluse
7. Drana’s Chosen
6. Embodiment of Fury
5. Nissa’s Judgment
4. Cyclone Sire
3. Press Into Service
2. Chitinous Cloak
1. Eldrazi Displacer

The new iteration of Sea stompy in legacy and it's amazing ahahah. Misthollow, looter il-kor, stratus dancer, hangarback walkers and sigil of distinction in a constructed deck with all the cards in magic???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prIMfUECW_E

Love this format, too bad wotc basically discontinued it for lineardeckformat

As I recall, isn't the variety in Legacy an illusion created by the fact that not many people play it in the first place? So more support could potentially lead to less variety.

noquarter

Man, I can't wait for SOI. From the art and cards we've seen so far, it certainly echoes the spooky factor of original Innistrad. Eldritch Moon looks fabulous, despite Liliana probably staying mono black. The Innistrad artbook seems like a decent purchase if you like the gothic art. Hopefully Wizards gives Cynthia Sheppard and Karla Ortiz some cards, they always do great work in this style.

Unfortunately I'll miss spoilers and prerelease due to basic training (on the plane now, actually). Enjoy Shadows prerelease everyone, and I'll be back to slinging spells soon enough. Maybe I can draft 3x SOI after the release sometime. :3

What are you joining? Good luck, just remember it is over really quick and then you don't have to deal with that bullshit again.

G.ZZZ

As I recall, isn't the variety in Legacy an illusion created by the fact that not many people play it in the first place? So more support could potentially lead to less variety.

I don't think so and ive played the format quite a bit. There's a lot of overlaps in lists, but besides pillars, there's a lot of different T1 decks around. Burn is super cheap but rarely is considered better than T2, while miracle is one of the costliest decks around but still the most played in general and considered widely the "best" deck in legacy.

That Sea stompy lists is amazingly positioned and has positive MUs vs most top deck. If you have experience in the format, you can see that at a first glance, it's just such a beautiful constructed list.

As for pillars, legacy T1 nowadays is divided in (pure aggro don't exist as a concept becuase you need to interact in some way):

Tempo :
- delver decks ( BUG, UWR, RUG, RBU, with grixis (RBU) considered the best right now)
Control :
- life from the loam decks(loam, lands)
- control lists (miracle, blade lists)
Combo :
- elves! (glimpse combo)
- storm combo (AnT)
- SnT combo (Sneak and show i hate this deck )
Midrange :
- chalice stompy decks (sea stompy, eldrazi)
- prison (D&T white weenie)

As of now, D&T, lands and stompy lists are underplayed but definitely good decks that can win against anything (obviously you have stupidly bad MUs, like Miracle lose hard to stompy chalice lists and Turbo Eldrazis, Stompy lists and Turbo Eldrazis lose hard to land lists, while Lands is a dog to fast combo etc...). Goblin is also having a resurgence for reasons i don't understand?!? (Krenko's a good card advantage engine for maindecks but ... seriously).

Thanks god SnT basically disappeared. Also i'm pretty sure online legacy is relatively cheap if not as cheap as online modern (aside from ports and wastes which i think still are over 100$) and if anything you see even more brews in leagues there. Sylvan plug for example got famous as an anti-blue deck from online leagues where it regularly went 4-0 against DTT and TC decks (at least as long as those were legal).

I could say that the diversity of the format is an illusion because you have to build your deck around certain cards no matter what, like you have to run forces, chalices, spheres or go heavy on discard. If you don't, you're either combo, or your deck lose against too many things. If you think about Modern and its thousands of strong linear strategies that got banned or still exist, you understand why this is. You either have strong universal answers in your list against unfair things, or sometimes unfair things will kill you. In exchange for having to submit to those deckbuilding constraints, and accepting blue is by far the best color (even if it's getting a bit better with eldrazis that i think will make chalice decks considerably stronger), you play the most interactive magic there is , without the swinginess of the 1-ofs of vintage (which i still like but let's be frank, 1-ofs make the format too variant).

Angry Grimace

It makes me laugh how many people are trying to figure out the best way to overcome Eldrazi and save modern and I'm just like "shit's broken; wait for bans."

Wulfric

What are you joining? Good luck, just remember it is over really quick and then you don't have to deal with that bullshit again.

Thanks, I'm going Army National Guard. I feel fine, I just don't look forward to MREs. Whole Foods kinda guy here, lol.

On the plus side, Modern will be fixed by the time I come back. No more Eldrazi draft chaff running around. Cheers. :p

I still want the arc set on real Phyrexia. I bet its pretty evil there still.

I think the big reason they needed to go to a New Phyrexia is that the old one wasn't really diverse enough for a whole set (everything is black-aligned, for one thing) but I wouldn't be surprised to see it come up in some way.

I think Gideon is the current and future white walker, and Elspeth is going to be on the sidelines for the forseeable future.

They can -- in fact, pretty much need to -- have more than one walker per color.

Toxi

Banned
I still want the arc set on real Phyrexia. I bet its pretty evil there still.
I don't get this obsession with the return of original Phyrexia. We already got tons of cards and books featuring the original Phyrexians. They were the main villains of the longest running story arc in the game's history.

And the funny thing is, they still brought back the Phyrexians, just on a new plane. Without Yawgmoth, there's really nothing "old" Phyrexians provide that their newer counterparts don't.

bigkrev

They can -- in fact, pretty much need to -- have more than one walker per color.

It's also a gender balance thing, I think.

Chandra is the only viable Red walker they have
Nissa is the only viable Green walker they have
Liliana is the only viable mono-black walker they have (Sorin is clearly W/B now).

Jace is the posterboy for Magic, so he's sticking around. Gideon took Elspeth's place because they didn't want 4 girls, 1 guy.

Now this card is potentially fake. Note that the picture conveniently doesn't include the holofoil or card number.

EDIT: Looking closely, it's using the old madness reminder text! That card says "If you discard this card, you may cast it for its madness cost instead of putting it into your graveyard."

The reminder text from the Fiery Temper reprint is, "If you discard this card, discard it into exile. When you do, cast it for its madness cost or put it into your graveyard."

Prob 2/3 like advocate

advocate's cmc is 2 though has vigilance and it also buffs lands.

Now this card is potentially fake. Note that the picture conveniently doesn't include the holofoil or card number.

EDIT: Looking closely, it's using the old madness reminder text! It doesn't mention discarding into exile.

bummer looked exciting.

Calling fake, because that card isn't a Mythic Rare. It's an Uncommon, maybe a rare.

yeah the watermark is also wrong. Excitement got the better of me.

OnPoint

Right. I don't think I was suggesting they need only have one per color and that's it (Jace/Tezzeret/Tamiyo or Chandra/Sarkhan/Koth or Liliana/Sorin/BobbyNixon, etc). But I remember them saying something about how planeswalkers are supposed to be ultra rare, and they're choosing to focus on these bunch, and there will be others but they're going to make measures to correct how many there are and how often they appear or something so they're like uber special... right around when Elspeth was killed. Then Gideon assumes her abilities... I know there are and will be other white planeswalkers, but I am firmly in the Elspeth is not going to be walking the planes again any time soon, if ever again, camp.

Angry Grimace

You can have some real dumb turns with Zendikar Resurgent out, even if you're pretty much empty handed.

Angry Grimace

It's also a gender balance thing, I think.

Chandra is the only viable Red walker they have
Nissa is the only viable Green walker they have
Liliana is the only viable mono-black walker they have (Sorin is clearly W/B now).

Jace is the posterboy for Magic, so he's sticking around. Gideon took Elspeth's place because they didn't want 4 girls, 1 guy.

Ob Nix is mono black to the core
Koth is still mono-red
I guess it doesn't seem like Garruk's coming back to be green again, but oh well
Tamiyo is probably still blue and I seriously doubt Teferi is going to be depowered forever

Seems unlikely that Nahiri is still mono white.

OnPoint

Ob Nix is mono black to the core
Koth is still mono-red
I guess it doesn't seem like Garruk's coming back to be green again, but oh well
Tamiyo is probably still blue and I seriously doubt Teferi is going to be depowered forever

Seems unlikely that Nahiri is still mono white.

Teferi is probably long dead by now.

Nahiri will be RW.

MaRo said he regrets not making Ob black-red, didn't he?

Garruk is likely never coming back.

I just realized how few mono-green PW there are. Shit.

Angry Grimace

Teferi is probably long dead by now.

Nahiri will be RW.

MaRo said he regrets not making Ob black-red, didn't he?

Garruk is likely never coming back.

I just realized how few mono-green PW there are. Shit.
Teferi is invincible due to getting stuck in a time-dilation zone.

Ob Nix has been mono-black 4 times.

Garruk is almost assuredly coming back, although he's G/B at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom