• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mox Diamond from Relics looks pretty cool. I've never seen it in person though. A local shop has the Stronghold version for $35.

I just need one for Commander purposes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No matter what Maro says, I think its a very poor idea to put Planeswalkers in the story that don't have cards.

Crocodile

So with all the rumors of an Eternal Masters going around.......what does an Eternal Masters product look like?

• Are we expecting the same 24 packs in a booster box for a crazy high price as with Modern Masters?
  • Another draft-able format?
  • Will this draft format be appealing considering that sets that aren't Modern legal as a whole just tend to be worse draft formats that may or may not play well with each other? Like I know they did Vintage Masters online but a big part of the appeal of that was getting Reserve List cards which won't be true for any Paper product. Also they tried Tempest Remastered and that seemed to be a bust. If you throw like Mirage - Onslaught together in a blender and maybe sprinkle some singles from pre-Mirage, do you end up with a good draft/sealed format (especially one that is likely to be expensive to play)?
  • Is it all reprints or do they include new cards too? Do they include the commander cards legal in the format that play well in 1v1?
  • Is is cards from only Legacy legal sets or do they throw Modern stuff in there too?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I missed the announcement. Wait, is Eternal Masters a physical product? How is that going to work to anyone's satisfaction with the Reserved List? I thought it would be digital only for some reason

bigkrev

I missed the announcement. Wait, is Eternal Masters a physical product? How is that going to work to anyone's satisfaction with the Reserved List? I thought it would be digital only for some reason

That's called Vintage Masters
There are tons of things like Force of Will, Rishardin Port, Wasteland, Karakas, Mana Drain, Imperial Recruiter, Berserk, Grim Tutor that are $100 or more plus Modern legal money cards like Lilian, Jack, Golf that would make the set exciting.

If they were ever going to do Snow Duals, this would be the place to debut them

So with all the rumors of an Eternal Masters going around.......what does an Eternal Masters product look like?

With 100% certainty, any booster product ever released will be designed around draft. If there were an Eternal oriented product it would take cards from everywhere and when, not just pre-Modern sets, so it wouldn't have any particular design problem from that angle.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I feel like WOTC did a pretty bad job capitalizing off of that Pro Tour because the only tangible result this week was 0 people showed up for Modern (we had like ~15 last week) and all of them I talked to were just waiting for Eldrazi to get banned out.

i mean if you never play against the deck then you'll never learn how the deck could be beaten

[edit] although if they really are planning to add eldrazi to innistrad, they're probably only going to compound the deck's current dominance

Firemind

With 100% certainty, any booster product ever released will be designed around draft. If there were an Eternal oriented product it would take cards from everywhere and when, not just pre-Modern sets, so it wouldn't have any particular design problem from that angle.
Unless that product is called Vintage Masters. Why, yes, give white a fuckton of shadow creatures and bird tokens at common. Whatever could go wrong?

ElyrionX

I seriously did not want to play. I had to because people showed up, but goddamn I wanted to avoid eldrazi. As it is, I went matched up with infect in the last round, where the guy was sitting across from me with an all foil infect deck (including fetches and shocks). I'm pretty sure I witnessed $1000 worth of money being played right before my eyes

Ummm, this happens all the time? Or at least, foiled out Modern decks are pretty common where I come from.

Even my EDH decks cost more than that and I don't buy foils.

Ashodin

Ummm, this happens all the time? Or at least, foiled out Modern decks are pretty common where I come from.

Even my EDH decks cost more than that and I don't buy foils.

My store is in a pretty middle-class area, probably more on the lower end of that. So the players we get are high school kids with not much money, and 20-30 somethings with student debt and etc.

Basically, not much money to be thrown around.

red13th

Enlightened Tutor, Balance, Armageddon, Ravages of War, Mystical Tutor, Force of Will, Mana Drain, Miscalculation, Upheaval, Tinker, Opposition, Forbid, Hymn to Tourach, Animate Dead, Mind Twist, Chainer's Edict, Vampiric Tutor, Sinkhole, Entomb, Imperial Seal, Fire Imp, Chain Lightning, Sneak Attack, Burning of Xinye, Rolling Earthquake, Sylvan Library, Natural Order, Channel, Oath of Druids, Worldly Tutor, Vindicate, Wasteland, Strip Mine, Smokestack, Rishadan Port.

That's my (current) Eternal Masters wishlist. All cubeworthy, non-reserve-listed cards.
Notable unfortunate reserve list cards besides duals are Treachery, Recurring Nightmare, Survival of the Fittest, Moat, Tolarian Academy, Deranged Hermit, Gaea's Cradle, Cursed Scroll and Mox Diamond.

ElyrionX

Enlightened Tutor, Balance, Armageddon, Ravages of War, Mystical Tutor, Force of Will, Mana Drain, Miscalculation, Upheaval, Tinker, Opposition, Forbid, Hymn to Tourach, Animate Dead, Mind Twist, Chainer's Edict, Vampiric Tutor, Sinkhole, Entomb, Imperial Seal, Fire Imp, Chain Lightning, Sneak Attack, Burning of Xinye, Rolling Earthquake, Sylvan Library, Natural Order, Channel, Oath of Druids, Worldly Tutor, Vindicate, Wasteland, Strip Mine, Smokestack, Rishadan Port.

That's my (current) Eternal Masters wishlist. All cubeworthy, non-reserve-listed cards.
Notable unfortunate reserve list cards besides duals are Treachery, Recurring Nightmare, Survival of the Fittest, Moat, Tolarian Academy, Deranged Hermit, Gaea's Cradle, Cursed Scroll and Mox Diamond.

I did not know Mana Drain is not on the reserved list.

Crocodile

All the bolded have modern printings (FTV, Jugdge, etc.) that cost less than $20 each (many much less than $20). The italicized ones also have modern printings but most tend to be very expensive. If you're looking for cards for Cube, you can get most of them already.

red13th

All the bolded have modern printings (FTV, Jugdge, etc.) that cost less than $20 each (many much less than $20). The italicized ones also have modern printings but most tend to be very expensive. If you're looking for cards for Cube, you can get most of them already.

Yeah I know, but I don't Cube with foils. :)

That's called Vintage Masters
There are tons of things like Force of Will, Rishardin Port, Wasteland, Karakas, Mana Drain, Imperial Recruiter, Berserk, Grim Tutor that are $100 or more plus Modern legal money cards like Lilian, Jack, Golf that would make the set exciting.

If they were ever going to do Snow Duals, this would be the place to debut them

Would those $100 cards be put at Mythic rarity?

• Are we expecting the same 24 packs in a booster box for a crazy high price as with Modern Masters?
  • Another draft-able format?
  • Will this draft format be appealing considering that sets that aren't Modern legal as a whole just tend to be worse draft formats that may or may not play well with each other? Like I know they did Vintage Masters online but a big part of the appeal of that was getting Reserve List cards which won't be true for any Paper product. Also they tried Tempest Remastered and that seemed to be a bust. If you throw like Mirage - Onslaught together in a blender and maybe sprinkle some singles from pre-Mirage, do you end up with a good draft/sealed format (especially one that is likely to be expensive to play)?
  • Is it all reprints or do they include new cards too? Do they include the commander cards legal in the format that play well in 1v1?
  • Is is cards from only Legacy legal sets or do they throw Modern stuff in there too?

The only reason Tempest Remastered failed is because there was no value in the set outside of Wasteland. Buying packs to draft with was just burning money.

OnPoint

Just played in the Modern Top 8 thing. Got Jund.

Round 1: dispatched Zoo 2-1
Round 2: lost 2-1 to Burn
Round 3: dispatched UR Eldrazi 2-1

Those Eldrazi games... I felt like I held on by the skin of my teeth. He drew kinda poorly and my disruption did its job.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Foils are just the worst. Opening one is basically your pack saying "Hey, hope you didn't want to play with this in any sort of constructed deck in the future." All because people are essentially magpies and need to collect their shinys.

Joe Molotov

lol, I cheesed my way into Top 8 at Game Day today. I got a Round 1 bye, lost R2 against Mono-Green Ramp, won R3 against Mardu Aggro, lost R4 against a B/R Dragons mirror match, and then had my opponent drop in R5. So basically, I went 1-2 and Top 8'd.

Then in my 5 prize packs (2 BFZ, 3 OGW) I opened an Expedition Sunken Hollow, Kolizek's Return, and Nissa, Voice of Zendikar. Nothing like getting rewarded for a job poorly done.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I just want old cards in the new card frame

i want new cards in the old frame
blush.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I always thought that they were cool though but Maro claims they physically cannot produce them (which is bullshit)

66.jpg
57.jpg
61.jpg

Angry Grimace

I hope whoever decided to put the burn deck in PT Gauntlet looses their job

The problem is that 1 resolved instance of life gain makes you lose. Deck seems a lot more fragile than I remember it being.

Firemind

Burn is a better metagame call when the rest of the field takes 1/4 damage from their own lands. It's just that eldrazi doesn't take much damage AND have Chalice MD. :lol

bigkrev

0-2 drop with Burn. I have no idea how this deck was able to win games at the Pro Tour unless everyone was Mulligan to 3 cards each match.

I always thought that they were cool though but Maro claims they physically cannot produce them (which is bullshit)

He did say "I don't even know" rather than can't, but it's still clearly another area he shouldn't even try to talk about because yeah, there definitely is not any physical limitation. I can't even conceive of how that would work.

Messing with some Patrick Chapin podcast tech. I haven't played much Standard at all this season so it's pretty casual level.

nayauhuz4.png

Starfield looping legendary enchantments is pretty fun.

Not being able to chain Oath of Nissa into other enchantments is pretty bad.

The problem is that 1 resolved instance of life gain makes you lose. Deck seems a lot more fragile than I remember it being.

Burn is the only Modern deck I can think of that I've never lost to in a sanctioned tournament. It's so easy to beat if you're prepared for it, and people love burn in local-level stuff because it's cheaper than buying Goyfs.

Lucario

lmao why are people cutting Dismember from their modern Eldrazi decks

Endbringer has been the deciding card in a disgusting number of mirror matches. Being able to mow down Eldrazi Mimics, Scions, and Skyspawners feels amazing. Scion Summoner has also been overperforming, but I think I need to test it more before I can say it's better than Mind Stone.

I also threw an Eldrazi Conscription in there for fun. I'm 99% sure it's bad, but the reactions have been too amazing to cut it.

Wichu

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";195257573]Messing with some Patrick Chapin podcast tech. I haven't played much Standard at all this season so it's pretty casual level.

nayauhuz4.png

Starfield looping legendary enchantments is pretty fun.

Not being able to chain Oath of Nissa into other enchantments is pretty bad.[/QUOTE]

I'm playing an Esper version of this. The best thing is once you get your enchantments animated, your opponent tries to kill them, and you sac a thing to Vampiric Rites and reanimate them in response.

It was much better with Font of Fortunes as the sac outlet, but it's still fun to play.

Is there a round up of the eternal masters rumors somewhere?

Some people who inaccurately predicted things that were falsifiable said that there was an Eternal Masters, then a guy who makes proxies said that a secret method he could not identify had let him conclude that it was real.

red13th

The guy who leaked a bunch of BFZ/OGW stuff, including Gideon and a fake GB manland, also said it's coming. Yet another leaker who had a bunch of Conspiracy leaks said it's real and boosters will be more expensive than MM2.

OnPoint

Just did another Modern Gauntlet. Got Death's Shadow Zoo.

If I drew lands and spells, I drew no creatures.

If I drew creatures, I drew no lands.

What a shitty shitty deck.

Bandini

I also threw an Eldrazi Conscription in there for fun. I'm 99% sure it's bad, but the reactions have been too amazing to cut it.

I dunno, it seems pretty good if you can land it when you're not worried about a response Dismember or something? What removal do people even play in Modern other than Path to Exile that can handle a colorless creature that big? Either way, looks fun!

The guy who leaked a bunch of BFZ/OGW stuff, including Gideon and a fake GB manland, also said it's coming. Yet another leaker who had a bunch of Conspiracy leaks said it's real and boosters will be more expensive than MM2.

Lolz, what's the point of reprinting any of this stuff if no one can afford the booster packs?

Some people who inaccurately predicted things that were falsifiable said that there was an Eternal Masters, then a guy who makes proxies said that a secret method he could not identify had let him conclude that it was real.

Also lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom