• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm not a pro player or an expert in competitive play, but I also think Visions is good but fair. The way I see it is that it is an obvious advantage, but one at a time that is hard to predict. By the time it resolves the board state can be completely different and you can't cast it in response if you start losing the game. You'd have lost before the last counter gets removed. It's also a risk to draw if you risk a game loss next turn since it is completely useless. It can help to promote control though in a game where they need the extra cards to play the longer game. I think with the current metagame it'd bring more balance instead of warping the format alltogether.

This is why its not a reasonable card to be banned. It's banned for the same reason Bitterblossom was banned: because people remember Faeries being good and oppressive. But even if you unbanned every card that is good in Faeries I don't think Faeries would be good in Modern because the format is hostile to control decks.

Joe Molotov

Six picks in, LSV has a Stone Haven Outfitter, a Hedron Crawler, and 4 Bone Saws.

Update: 6 Bone Saws.

o5zQUUc.gif

An-Det

This is why its not a reasonable card to be banned. It's banned for the same reason Bitterblossom was banned: because people remember Faeries being good and oppressive. But even if you unbanned every card that is good in Faeries I don't think Faeries would be good in Modern because the format is hostile to control decks.

Yup, I've said it for years with regards to Visions. People remember Faeries dominating without taking a critical look at how the cards would play in the format as it is today. We saw it when Bitterblossom was unbanned and people were skeptical and nothing happened, it'll be the same with Visions. It would see some play, and it'd be fine.

Wow. PV whines a lot, eh?

Basically doing what Hoogland did with Legacy, where instead of being critical of his approach to the format just blamed it instead.

Haines

Banned
How invested is lsv into that game? It doesnt look bad, and i assume its free to play, so i would at least give it a spin.
The UI is so much hearthstone which is nice, the mechanics have a magic flavour but seem a lil simpler maybe?
It def doesnt look as good as either game to me, but thats to be expected i think.

3-0 (6 and 0) my draft pod. G/R very midrange, almost just filler most of the deck with a few good removal. People would be playing there synergy cards while i just would push with decent 3 and 4 drops
I hate allies, i think its just a lame synergy game, so i rather enjoyed pushing them off the board.
Oh and salvo to an aeyli on turn 4 felt...so good.

I only decided to go bc thought knot went up but the shop wouldnt buy it cuz he has a hard time moving foils. Ugh
So i guess i find another shop tmrw maybe while im in town while the price is still high
Sold my foil mountain. It hurt bc one of my fav cards in set but shits gotta pay up

Question: you know those dice that areused on camera at pro tour, the ones with the written number. Can i get those some where? Is it stupid to want those instead of normal dice? Im a big fan of simple clear to read boards and those dice look awesome.

Hero

Not gonna back another game like that. Backed SolForge and have never played it past the first time I booted it up.

bigkrev

I really wonder how much of this games DNA is in the Elder Scrolls TCG. They couldn't be working on 2 distinct games, could they?

noquarter

3-0 (6 and 0) my draft pod. G/R very midrange, almost just filler most of the deck with a few good removal. People would be playing there synergy cards while i just would push with decent 3 and 4 drops
I hate allies, i think its just a lame synergy game, so i rather enjoyed pushing them off the board.
Oh and salvo to an aeyli on turn 4 felt...so good.
Went 2-1 with an allies life gain deck. Lost the one match solely do to mana drought followed by mana flood.

One match went to time with an almost even board state and me knocking him down 2 life a turn, gaining 3 life a turn and drawing a cards every turn. Ended up both of us having Binding Eldrazi guy and him getting a little greedy trying to get three life from me. Next turn tapped his flyer, did 2 x you lose 1 life I gain 1 life, Kalastria knight watch gained flying, pumped twice with Kor Ally making it 6/7 and flew in for the win.

Took a foil Oath of Gideon hoping I would get something good in BfZ for Rally and didn't get anything. It got cut.

This image got put up on Spain's Magic Facebook page.
635908829873048750.png

This is probably a reprint of Azusa, Lost but Seeking for either a Judge Foil or a From the Vault.

Fairy Tale World-> New Phyrexia, probably.

I can't see Kaladesh and New Phyrexia used back to back.

Maybe Kaladesh->Fairy Tale World->New Phyrexia? That way they'd only have 6 months overlap with presumably different strategies in FTW Standard?

Kaladesh just seemed way too developed for a unused plane to not be coming right after Innistrad IMO. Fairy tale World is coming, but I think Maro/Wizards know it's going to be a harder sell so they'll put it in their weakest selling part of the year traditionally.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Man playing Rally makes me so salty.

But that's nothing on this one guy at my store. I asked him how his game went and he's like "I don't want to talk about it" and I thought he was joking around so I was like "I don't want to talk about it?" and then he got all super serious and was like "I'm serious. I don't want to talk about it" and gave me this super angry face and then left the store.

Then he came back like 10 minutes later like nothing happened.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";195093586]I lost to Mistbind Clique tapping down my City of Brass one time.

Fuck faeries.[/QUOTE]

shoulda played City of Ass

Fairy Tale World-> New Phyrexia, probably.

I can't see Kaladesh and New Phyrexia used back to back.

My current (very tentative) operating theory is that we get Kaladesh next (for the same reason mentioned previously, that it feels like they were already well into a concept push on it) and then after one interim block we get Phyrexia invading some other plane.

Xis

My current (very tentative) operating theory is that we get Kaladesh next (for the same reason mentioned previously, that it feels like they were already well into a concept push on it) and then after one interim block we get Phyrexia invading some other plane.

We know one of the keywords in SOI makes artifact tokens (investigate), could be setup for the next block having an artifact theme. Either Kaladesh or Phyrexia could work, but we know the next set is a new plane (meaning Phyrexia unlikely but Kaladesh would probably be OK).

Edit: it used to be that they tried to make each block have some synergy with the next and previous blocks; with the new model, will they have to keep the next two blocks in mind?

My only problem with LSVs game is how similar visually it looks to Hearthstone. It's so blatant that it's kind of off putting. The game itself looks cool though.

Angry Grimace

I feel like WOTC did a pretty bad job capitalizing off of that Pro Tour because the only tangible result this week was 0 people showed up for Modern (we had like ~15 last week) and all of them I talked to were just waiting for Eldrazi to get banned out.

Haines

Banned
Opened one of my winning packs, pulled a kalitas, yay

Also got a reality smasher in another pack. Nice

Def selling them

Ashodin

I feel like WOTC did a pretty bad job capitalizing off of that Pro Tour because the only tangible result this week was 0 people showed up for Modern (we had like ~15 last week) and all of them I talked to were just waiting for Eldrazi to get banned out.
I seriously did not want to play. I had to because people showed up, but goddamn I wanted to avoid eldrazi. As it is, I went matched up with infect in the last round, where the guy was sitting across from me with an all foil infect deck (including fetches and shocks). I'm pretty sure I witnessed $1000 worth of money being played right before my eyes

Angry Grimace

I seriously did not want to play. I had to because people showed up, but goddamn I wanted to avoid eldrazi. As it is, I went matched up with infect in the last round, where the guy was sitting across from me with an all foil infect deck (including fetches and shocks). I'm pretty sure I witnessed $1000 worth of money being played right before my eyes
I think every modern deck is that much or more.

Edit: it used to be that they tried to make each block have some synergy with the next and previous blocks; with the new model, will they have to keep the next two blocks in mind?

Maro said that starting with soi they are building in hooks for the next two blocks now.

Kaladesh will count as a new plane right?

Yes, the word from above is that they consider anything that debuted in origins or a supplemental to be new when it gets a block.

bigkrev

I mean, a stock Jeskai Black deck in standard is $800 or so

Lucario

Really not feeling the Mind Stones in R/G Eldrazi, or the full playset of World Breakers. Getting free wins against Bridge decks is nice, but pretty much any number of 7-drops in your opening hand feels terrible.

Already shaved a World Breaker for an Endbringer, and it's been insane every time I've drawn it. Sucks that it dies to Dismember, but the R/G version doesn't even run those. If it stays alive for one turn in the mirror, the game is basically locked up.

Gonna test Scion Summoners in place of Mind Stone. At least you can cast those off Eye + Stomping Ground.

Angry Grimace

You know shit is going your way when your opponent is helpless to your onslaught of dudes, you drop Kalitas and he uses an Isolation Zone to save himself and then plays a few blockers. Then I play a topdecked Felidar Cub and a Sheer Drop on his last guy (tapped down with the Cohort Tapping guy).

Let's see if I can carry that luck onto Round 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom