• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Oh and to those saying don't bother with Eye of Ugin yesterday because the spike already happened?

I paid $41 (tax+shipping included) yesterday for 4 of them.

Today? Blue price is paper:

FKQTXet.png

Lesson is Kirblar usually knows what he's talking about.
Magic economics is cray cray

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wheeeeeeee opened my BFZ gift box I got for Christmas and got 0 rares of value, but I got 2 foil basics and a Blood Crypt EXP!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It won't be good with anything because its equipment. I don't even really understand why Equipment is still in the game as an evergreen card type. It has to be blatantly overpowered to be good or have something like Living Weapon to even make it worth playing in limited.

Jhriad

This one was way more obvious than most once the ball got rolling on that deck since Eye was literally the only card with major supply constraints in it. (excluding SB Damnation)

Plus Slaughter Pact. Of course the impending doom of Amulet Bloom will keep that from moving as quickly. Honestly, I'd keep an eye on Slaughter Pact when the Banned and Restricted announcement comes down. Depending on whether or not Bloom gets hit it might be a good opportunity to get a few copies either at a discount from people selling out of the deck or prior to another period of growth if it isn't touched.

I love the magic stock market guys

Oddly the finance aspect is probably one of the things I enjoy the most about Magic. It's nice to be able to discuss this stuff with folks to get a feel for the various points of view.

It won't be good with anything because its equipment. I don't even really understand why Equipment is still in the game as an evergreen card type. It has to be blatantly overpowered to be good or have something like Living Weapon to even make it worth playing in limited.

Casually, it's quite fun. It's like a super-aura. Only certain colours / cards can deal with it outright. Dpends on playgroup, though, I imagine.

kirblar

Card I would grab now as a 4x: River of Tears.

YWIA. It's great in B/u Eldrazi.

Also, Appetite for Brains may be worth grabbing a set of.

Wulfric

Does anyone have advice for setting up a chaos draft? I want to host one later this coming month using these packs:

SOM block
INN block
RTR block
THS block
KTK block
BFZ block + plus ORI
M13, M14, M15
MM2013, MM2015, CNS

Am I better off having each person open their own block, or have everyone open one of each? I also kind of want to replace the BNG and DGM boosters with something else. Thoughts?

Firemind

zjOBZBu.png

Best or worst cube draft deck?

Does anyone have advice for setting up a chaos draft? I want to host one later this coming month using these packs:

SOM block
INN block
RTR block
THS block
KTK block
BFZ block + plus ORI
M13, M14, M15
MM2013, MM2015, CNS

Am I better off having each person open their own block, or have everyone open one of each? I also kind of want to replace the BNG and DGM boosters with something else. Thoughts?
Mirrodin and Kamigawa suck in chaos. That is all.

PS. don't have each open one block. There's nothing chaos about it. Either have a grab bag or have a rotation.

Angry Grimace

Because approximately everybody likes it who isn't a grumpusaurus? I mean....

Yeah, "everyone" (e.g. population: you) likes it from a flavor perspective. When was the last time they had an actual good card in the type?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

SOM block
INN block
RTR block
THS block
KTK block
BFZ block + plus ORI
M13, M14, M15
MM2013, MM2015, CNS

I generally avoid SOM and INN in chaos drafts because they're just tribal enough (or in the case of SOM, Infect heavy enough) that its easy to end up with feel bad "useless" cards. By the same token, I've found that Shadowmoor packs are great in Chaos because all of the hybrid cards act as some much needed grease for all the weird shit everyone is assembling

Yeef

Yeah, "everyone" (e.g. population: you) likes it from a flavor perspective. When was the last time they had an actual good card in the type?
From a limited perspective, Slab Hammer, Throwing Knife and Sword of the Animist were all playable. Hammer needs the right deck, but the other two are solid cards in just about any deck.

Yeah, "everyone" (e.g. population: you)

Lol, no. The mechanic is ten years old and they've consistently talked about how popular it is over that entire time. Like it's more popular and has been good in tournaments more often than auras, which they've never even considered getting rid of, why would they get rid of equipment?

When was the last time they had an actual good card in the type?

Wasn't Ghostfire Blade in the artifacts deck just like six months ago?

Firemind

goddamn it. got trolled by natural order -> craterhoof. thrice. and when I had the infinite storm combo, he had Ulamog, the only Eldrazi I didn't have. gee thanks for wasting five minutes of my life.

I could see that equipment being useful in Allies and Eldrazi, plus with Innistrad coming next it could be useful. The biggest issue with Equipment stems from you having to equip them on top of cast and the whole act taking up a turn. Maybe they could try the way Ghostfire Blade worked where the equip cost goes down depending upon circumstances?

Wulfric

I generally avoid SOM and INN in chaos drafts because they're just tribal enough (or in the case of SOM, Infect heavy enough) that its easy to end up with feel bad "useless" cards. By the same token, I've found that Shadowmoor packs are great in Chaos because all of the hybrid cards act as some much needed grease for all the weird shit everyone is assembling

Thanks, I haven't bought the older packs yet so I can still adjust the selection. Hmm, would Lorwyn/Morningtide work as well? I like that they have the original planeswalkers and Thoughtseize/Bitterblossom at rare.

Thanks, I haven't bought the older packs yet so I can still adjust the selection. Hmm, would Lorwyn/Morningtide work as well? I like that they have the original planeswalkers and Thoughtseize/Bitterblossom at rare.

If Technomancer thinks Innistrad will be a problem because of the tribal cards, Lorwyn will be even worse.

Insaniac

recently got back into magic, and I've been curious about Oath. What are your guys thoughts on this card? I kinda like it and have been thinking of ordering a playset, even if it isn't tournament viable, It looks like a fun card to play casually with.

goblindarkdwellers.jpg

Firemind

recently got back into magic, and I've been curious about Oath. What are your guys thoughts on this card? I kinda like it and have been thinking of ordering a playset, even if it isn't tournament viable, It looks like a fun card to play casually with.
it's the worst. wait until shadows over innistrad. unless you want to gamble on exp wasteland.

Ashodin

goblindarkdwellers.jpg

I think it's better than a lot of people are letting on.

Also where's the post list from the previous thread?

kozX0DY.png

I made one

Things: AG posts a lot
Familienoberhauptvogel is a really long name
Niv-Mizzet really wants to be back in a set someday
kirblar has really good "buy this" insights

The question was about being a dick, not about getting run out with flaming pitchforks.
Yeah I'm talking more like Bident of Thassa, not "Punch Me in the Dick: The Card"

Trying to do something control-y but not really using counter magic.

I wonder though, how deep does the Shaharazaradadad + Karn rabbit hole go?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

No, they're far more tribal. Okay INN block is probably okay, but Lorwyn/Morningtide are really rough in Chaos when you have like...four merfolk in your entire deck

Jhriad

Card I would grab now as a 4x: River of Tears.

YWIA. It's great in B/u Eldrazi.

Also, Appetite for Brains may be worth grabbing a set of.

Appetite is from Innistrad block and given that it exiles it's possible that we see it reprinted in SOI block simply because it plays well with BFZ block. Plus it's so cheap, being a relatively recent Uncommon, the gains probably won't be very large.

If anyone doesn't have the copies of Relic of Progenitus that they want, they might want to get them soon. It's been moving more quietly since the article on the mothership but they're moving pretty quick. CoolStuffInc has a lot of copies still at $1.99, which if you're picking up a playset is actually cheaper with their .99 singles shipping than TCGPlayer. Hell, even if you're just buying one it's almost on par with the lowest TCGPlayer prices. I'm not sure if the larger vendors have just pulled all their stock in anticipation of a higher price or if they're legitimately sold out but supply is pretty scarce for a card with so many printings at lower rarities.

Angry Grimace

goblindarkdwellers.jpg

This card is absolutely tournament viable. It's like 2.50 to preorder it and I ordered mine as soon as someone would let me.

Angry Grimace

I could see that equipment being useful in Allies and Eldrazi, plus with Innistrad coming next it could be useful. The biggest issue with Equipment stems from you having to equip them on top of cast and the whole act taking up a turn. Maybe they could try the way Ghostfire Blade worked where the equip cost goes down depending upon circumstances?

For equipment to be good in Constructed it usually has to be a Sword of X and Y or Umezawa's Jitte, or something that costs 1 to cast and 1 to equip.

Random thought - are they ever going to make another Modern Event Deck? The first one was a lot of fun and had a ton of cards I put into all sorts of stuff.

Another one
Deceiver-of-Form_EN_HRR.png
This definitely looks like a fun card to play with.

Quick rules question: because this thing says to look at the top card at the beginning of combat, I get to see the possible topdeck creature before choosing my attackers right? In other words, this triggers before declaring attackers right?

Ashodin

This definitely looks like a fun card to play with.

Quick rules question: because this thing says to look at the top card at the beginning of combat, I get to see the possible topdeck creature before choosing my attackers right? In other words, this triggers before declaring attackers right?

Correct. You can choose not to attack.

--

I just noticed something interesting

29.jpg
stonehavenoutfitter.jpg
635871724244091452.png

inklings of a standard equipment deck? (modern, with SFM unban?)

Shift in MaRo's view on card draw in white
sanmarco82 asked: "We’re experimenting with giving White a little draw but only on very focused cards that force a specific style of play." - so Mentor of the Meek is OK again?

For now, yes.

White has had these kinds of cards for a while, but MaRo has only now accepted them.

On mixing colorless mana costs with colored mana costs
cairnwanderer asked: If in a couple years you end up making a card with a cost like {R}{R}{C}{C}, would you prefer the card be Red or Devoid?

I lean towards never making that card but if we did I would most likely make it devoid. It depends a lot on the story.

Random thought - are they ever going to make another Modern Event Deck? The first one was a lot of fun and had a ton of cards I put into all sorts of stuff.

I mean they got rid of the Standard Event Decks, so sadly I'm guessing no? I dunno, I thought this was a pretty solid way of bringing some random reprints into play.

Ashodin

Mentor of the Meek is fucking dope as hell too. I want more "train soldiers, get knowledge" style white draw.

I've posted a couple more cards from my set, Paladium, over on my tumblr: legendrule.tumblr.com

I've started experimenting with the commons and seeing how the mechanics work, and it's pretty cool actually.

River of Tears is a logistical/judging nightmare. I actually really dislike it.

Really? It's black mana on your turn and blue on your opponent's. It's wonderful!

Correct. You can choose not to attack.

--

I just noticed something interesting

29.jpg
Stone-Haven-Outfitter.png
635871724244091452.png

inklings of a standard equipment deck? (modern, with SFM unban?)

I used to have a Ride Down + Relic Seeker deck to force through the tutor effect and get Hero's Blade.

Oh and to those saying don't bother with Eye of Ugin yesterday because the spike already happened?

I paid $41 (tax+shipping included) yesterday for 4 of them.

Today? Blue price is paper:

FKQTXet.png

Lesson is Kirblar usually knows what he's talking about.

Nice. I ordered 4x for $52 yesterday. It's too bad I didn't buy a 5th; I could sell two of them today and basically make back all the money I'd spent while still having enough for the deck.

Hopefully my order doesn't get cancelled :p

Ugh, how can I draft a deck with Lotus and Ancestral and have it be this bad?

EDIT: Holy shit. I won game one by Reanimating his Sundering Titan that he kindly put in his graveyard with Buried Alive. Game three he had me locked out of blue with an Iona, and he upticked a Liliana and put Craterhoof into his graveyard while I had a Meloku out. I topdecked Reanimate, made four more Meloku tokens (in addition to the two I already had), then reanimated his Craterhoof for an epic win. I literally stole the first match by casting Reanimate on my opponent's stuff. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom