• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfric

If anyone doesn't have the copies of Relic of Progenitus that they want, they might want to get them soon. It's been moving more quietly since the article on the mothership but they're moving pretty quick. CoolStuffInc has a lot of copies still at $1.99, which if you're picking up a playset is actually cheaper with their .99 singles shipping than TCGPlayer.

Thanks for the heads up, got myself a playset just in case. And to think I had groaned every time I opened an Eye of Ugin in MM2015 draft. I didn't even keep them. :(

Ashodin

I actually have three relics + a foil one, so that's that covered.

Scrabbling Claws is an interesting one, though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So the more I think about it Chandra's probably better than I gave her credit for, but I still can't help but feel she should ETB with 5 or even 6 loyalty. You should be able to clear the board of Wingmate Roc and still keep Chandra.

Ugh, how can I draft a deck with Lotus and Ancestral and have it be this bad?

EDIT: Holy shit. I won game one by Reanimating his Sundering Titan that he kindly put in his graveyard with Buried Alive. Game three he had me locked out of blue with an Iona, and he upticked a Liliana and put Craterhoof into his graveyard while I had a Meloku out. I topdecked Reanimate, made four more Meloku tokens (in addition to the two I already had), then reanimated his Craterhoof for an epic win. I literally stole the first match by casting Reanimate on my opponent's stuff. :lol

He was probably pissed off you drafted Reanimate.

Correct. You can choose not to attack.

--

I just noticed something interesting

29.jpg
stonehavenoutfitter.jpg
635871724244091452.png

inklings of a standard equipment deck? (modern, with SFM unban?)

SFM Unban would just mean I throw it in Abzan and shit gets dumb.

Yeah; my legit terrible deck went 1-2. You ever have that draft where you get all the enablers but none of the payoff? That was my deck. Lotus, Ancestral, Entomb, Reanimate, plus some more goodies. But the best fatties I got were Angel of Serenity and Myr Battlesphere. It was embarrassing. My R3 opponent was probably the most clueless cube drafter I've ever played against, and thanks to a combination of my anemic deck and a bit of mana screw, he still handily beat me. Yeesh. I blame the New Years booze.

Just noticed that 8th edition is available to draft on Magic Online, awesome. Gonna spend the new year playing old school Magic.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
His ability has to resolve for the flip to happen so it'd go back to your hand, you'd lose a life, and then you'd loot.

Thanks. Wondered about the order.

And Firemind now gets the right to bitch. They didn't even fucking try with the Izzet land. Why even waste everybody's fucking time with that garbage ass shit? Card is so bad it actively annoys me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is actually better than I thought it was going to be but still probably not modern playable.
It's modern playable because it's red and blue and can attack.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's like a green Ponder, what is this?

I like the fact that you can play multiple copies without any regrets???

Lucario

Really interesting card.

It seems like a strong enough effect for some decks even without the "get greedy with your superfriends" clause. I see myself brewing a lot of bad modern decks with this as a centerpiece.

If the rest of this cycle follows the "aggressively costed sorceries with incidental enchantments slapped on" theme, I'll be very happy. Even happier if they print a strong Enchantress effect to go along with them.

This is better than it looks. It has 4 power and can't be bolted. Still not great, and it's not like anyone's going to be swapping out Colonnade for this in Modern, but it's a fine card.

Yeef

Sphinx of the Final Word was also officially spoiled; for those that didn't keep up with the leaks.

en_XYJvVeYRvz.png

y2dvd

Wandering Fumarole looks modern playable. It's not evasive like Celestial Colannade but it can attack for big chunks when the coast is cleared. Survives lightning Bolt which is something.

Yeef

The land is fine. This whole cycle is a step or two below the old cycle in terms of power level, but it's hard for a man land to be unplayable; it's a free creature.

Angry Grimace

This is better than it looks. It has 4 power and can't be bolted. Still not great, and it's not like anyone's going to be swapping out Colonnade for this in Modern, but it's a fine card.

It can be bolted if someone tries to switch its power and toughness because it will always end up as a 4/1 at some point after Bolt resolves.

My god, that Nissa thing is nuts. It's a one mana Anticipate with upside. Give me all the copies.

It's different enough from anticipate that it isn't all upside. This is sorcery speed, can't get all card types, and you have to reveal what you choose. I think it's only worthwhile if you care about enchantments or the easier super-friends casting.

We also have the normal art for Immolating Glare.
en_Yldf7f7vEB.png

Not much to say about Sphinx of the Final Word. It's a control deck finisher.

Oath of Nissa is a pretty unexpected effect. Even though it's restricted in card types and speed, it's surprising for green to get an effect that can be directly compared to Anticipate at one mana. Plus, even though it's a legendary enchantment, it is good in multiples because you can just use it as a sorcery effect. Also, as the preview article points out, you could potentially play a mono-green deck with Tibalt if you really wanted to.

It's interesting how manlands work. Wandering Fumarole feels weak, yet I can also tell that it will likely see Standard and perhaps even Modern play. Note that LSV points out that if you switch the power and toughness and the opponent casts Lightning Bolt in response, there is absolutely nothing you can do with the land by itself to protect it.

If the stack looks like this (newest on top)
Bolt
Switch
Then there will be 3 damage on a 1/4 Fumarole, then it will switch to a 4/1 and die.

Switch
Bolt
Switch
Fumarole will become a 4/1, then it will be hit by a Lightning Bolt and die before it can switch again.

Switch
Switch
Bolt
Switch
This will be the first scenario again. Fumarole will become a 4/1 and then a 1/4 again. It will have 3 damage on it, then switch to a 4/1 and die.

EDIT: I now wonder if Oath of Gideon's static effect will be something like, "At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control Gideon, Jace, Chandra, and Nissa planeswalkers, then you win the game."

Yeef

Gideon will probably be something silly like: "When Oath of Gideon enters the battlefield, put a 2/2 Knight Ally token onto the battlefield. Planeswalkers you control enter the battlefield with 1 additional loyalty counter."

Angry Grimace

It's different enough from anticipate that it isn't all upside. This is sorcery speed, can't get all card types, and you have to reveal what you choose. I think it's only worthwhile if you care about enchantments or the easier super-friends casting.

It's a format with almost 0 relevant things you can do on Turn 1 though.

Also, this is the greatest deck in the world:

Deck: Goblin Dark-Dwellers
w.gif
b.gif
r.gif

//Creatures
4 Goblin Dark-Dwellers
4 Seeker of the Way
2 Monastery Mentor
3 Soulfire Grand Master

//Planeswalkers
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

//Spells
4 Crackling Doom
3 Fiery Impulse
3 Kolaghan's Command
1 Murderous Cut
3 Duress
3 Read the Bones
1 Roast

//Lands
2 Mountain
2 Plains
1 Swamp
2 Battlefield Forge
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Canopy Vista
1 Wind-Scarred Crag
4 Flooded Strand
1 Nomad Outpost
2 Shambling Vent
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Sunken Hollow
3 Wooded Foothills

//Sideboard
2 Arashin Cleric
1 Monastery Mentor
2 Outpost Siege
3 Kozilek's Return
2 Self-Inflicted Wound
3 Transgress the Mind
1 Duress
1 Ruinous Path

Display deck statistics

y2dvd

How many copies of Immolation Glare do you play in Esper? It even takes care of Otujai Dragon. It should definitely find some slots.

Angry Grimace

How many copies of Immolation Glare do you play in Esper? It even takes care of Otujai Dragon. It should definitely find some slots.

Swift Reckoning and Celestial Flare see about no play.

It CAN be bolted. Anytime you switch it's power the opponent can respond with a Bolt.

Edit: LOL already covered. Twice.

IG is way better than the both of those. SW is only a sorcery most of the early turns. CF doesn't allow you to target and is WW. RG Atarka just got a whole lot weaker.

Just play Surge of Righteousness or Valorous Stance instead. I think Glare is just a cheaper Kill Shot. Probably won't see much play.

So I'm hanging out with my college buds for our annual mtg get together, right

One guy is bringing a box of BFZ for us to draft, and he shows up and asks us "so will you guys help me look through these cards my dad got from storage wars"

So we look through them, and they're pretty messed up, and most of them are junk, but as we keep looking we see... Unglued lands... Legends chain lightnings... Stronghold ensnaring bridges... And then for tempest wastelands.

Then we crack packs for our first round of drafting and someone drops on the table... Expedition polluted delta.

that asshole

Akim

Banned
Been playing a lot of Hearthstone, but getting kind of tired of the limited card pool and RNG.

I used to play a ton of magic, but I quit because of the type of people that played (usually rude, unclean). Wondering if it's worth it to find a new shop and try again.

Wulfric

I would definitely try looking for a new game shop; some stores tend to draw a certain "iffy", overly competitive crowd. You probably want to try a shop that caters towards more casual players.

The prerelease for the next set is coming up the weekend of the 16th-17th, and draws a more casual audience. I'd recommend it if you've been out of the Magic loop for a while.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Plus, if you've been out long enough where EDH/Commander wasn't real popular, it's drawn a whole new casual crowd! Also, the DCI handed down rules that anybody with a BO rating of 5 or greater would automatically start off with one less card per initial draw. Now the shops smell like candy and unicorn kisses.

Zoibie

Has anyone had any experience selling cards on eBay? Our playgroup opened an expeditions Polluted Delta and we figured the only fair thing to do was to sell it and split the money. Any tips, things to avoid doing/make sure we should be doing? We've got it doulbe sleeved and in a hard plastic cover, would that be enough? Is it even worth the risk or should we just sell to a LGS and get less for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom