• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's less about the allies and more about the equipment. What are you hoping to pick up with it?
Stoneforge Masterwork IS the equipment.

I think you're thinking of either Stone Haven Outfitter or Stoneforge Acolyte.

Santiako

Maro says in his blog that there is a vanilla creature mythic rare in an upcoming set. Any guesses? 4/3 for GG? 2/2 for R? Something crazy?

pigeon

Banned
Its going to have to be something cheap CMC-wise and also way above the curve or else people are going to be salty.

They have printed cheap curve-breakers before and they generally didn't land at mythic rare. Mythic rares are supposed to feel exciting when you open them -- they're a Timmy experience more than anything. The only reason you feel excited about opening a 2/2 for G is that you're going to win your draft. Except you probably won't if they're mythic rare because a single 2/2 for G doesn't win anything.

I think the only way a vanilla creature makes it to mythic is if its power and toughness are totally absurd. 20/1 probably isn't even crazy enough. 50/50 is probably more plausible.

They have printed cheap curve-breakers before and they generally didn't land at mythic rare. Mythic rares are supposed to feel exciting when you open them -- they're a Timmy experience more than anything. The only reason you feel excited about opening a 2/2 for G is that you're going to win your draft. Except you probably won't if they're mythic rare because a single 2/2 for G doesn't win anything.

I think the only way a vanilla creature makes it to mythic is if its power and toughness are totally absurd. 20/1 probably isn't even crazy enough. 50/50 is probably more plausible.

Just got to wait until you can cast the creature and fling on the same turn.

Joe Molotov

Or an Eldrazi with an absurd P/T but it costs like
oKJlZcX.png
oKJlZcX.png
oKJlZcX.png
oKJlZcX.png
oKJlZcX.png

MjFrancis

Emrakul 2.0, 20/20, no casting cost, can only be put into play by alternate means.
I'd prefer an absurd casting cost with a better Madness cost to avoid having this card broken as a Cascade target in Modern, but I'm otherwise happy with that idea. A cheap Legendary vanilla 20/20 is threatening but not necessarily game-breaking in any Constructed format.

My guess is it's like a 8/0 for two mana and there will be some mechanic on other cards in the set that will give it a point of toughness or keep it alive.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My guess is it's like a 8/0 for two mana and there will be some mechanic on other cards in the set that will give it a point of toughness or keep it alive.
This card already basically exists (Force of Savagery)

Lucario

I was thinking either this or something with a really huge ass, like Indomitable Ancients. I know a 0/20 is never going to see print, but I kind of wonder if a 4 mana 0/18 or 0/19 would

Crocodile

Anything larger than a 19/19 seems problematic because its a two card, one-shot combo with so many cards. The same reason why they are hesitant to make a card with a CMC of 20 (I don't have time to find the quotes but they've said as much). A 19/19 just doesn't seem interesting to anyone since I'm sure such a card would cost more than 6 mana. Efficiency is the only way to appeal to anyone I feel.

Lucario

Printing cards with "20" on them restricts future design too much, IMO. Makes it difficult to balance mechanics that care about power or toughness in fields other than the battlefield.

Edit: what croc said

G.ZZZ

Probably something like

RR
8/1

It can "feel" mythic because of the huge difference between power and thoughness. It's vanilla, but the 1 toughness 8 power would definitely make it feel less vanilla than a straight 5/5, as you'd need to build around it a bit and wouldn't go in every deck. Also, it's less abusable , than say, a 5/5 for 2 mana with things like cascade. Also can be less stupid with things like Erratic explosion (if it's not a 20 mana 100/100 or something stupid like that) or with cards that care about power or toughtness (if it's something like a 20/20 for 8).

EDIT: ninjaed like 10 times but ok.

If they're going to actually print a vanilla creature at mythic (not rare) it's got to have a gimmick. The X/0 one is already done by Force of Savagery (which would have been a mythic in a set that had them, probably) so that's deeply unlikely.

I think the best option is just the creature with ludicrous toughness, like 0/100 or something. Looking through cards with toughness-based effects, high toughness is just way less abusable than high power: mostly it just lets you gain life, which could be powerful but is assuredly not broken in Modern or older formats. That really only leaves Doran and the deal-toughness-damage enchantment from Khans, which again I don't think are broken in older formats.

Daedardus

Vanilla pudding
3WW
Creature - Vanilla
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a fat counter on each creature you control.
Creatures with fat counters on them get +0/+1 for each fat counter.
2/5

pigeon

Banned
If they're going to actually print a vanilla creature at mythic (not rare) it's got to have a gimmick. The X/0 one is already done by Force of Savagery (which would have been a mythic in a set that had them, probably) so that's deeply unlikely.

I think the best option is just the creature with ludicrous toughness, like 0/100 or something. Looking through cards with toughness-based effects, high toughness is just way less abusable than high power: mostly it just lets you gain life, which could be powerful but is assuredly not broken in Modern or older formats. That really only leaves Doran and the deal-toughness-damage enchantment from Khans, which again I don't think are broken in older formats.

So basically it'll be a mythic rare wall.

Wall of Trolling Magic Card Collectors WWW
0/40 Defender

Angry Grimace

Ass Formation is in Dragons!! ><

Yeef

Vanilla means no rules text, so it can't have defender or any other ability. That in mind, here are the knobs they can play with:

Cost, Color, Supertype, Type, Subtype, Power, Toughness & Flavor

Depending on what the set it doing, there are a few different ways to make it 'feel' mythic. If it's a tribal set, making it above curve and in one or more relevant tribes might do it. If it's a set where types matter, making it an Enchantment Artifact Creature might do it (though that plays against the current philosophy of enchantment creatures feeling like enchantments).

From a flavor standpoint, they could do something like a planeswalker that lost its spark. Something like:

Gideon, Extinguished 2WW
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier
6/6

Someone on reddit suggested that they could also be introducing a new supertype.

Ashodin

A 0/100 would be fucking amazing

I did not expect Abzan Falconer to be a constructed playable card by actual top pros

Falconer has been a staple in Hardened Scale brews since Khans, but it was just that: a fun but only semi-competitive brew. Hardened Scales has become a lot more competitive recently though, I'm assuming it was that type of deck that the Falconer made a pro appearance in?

Oh nice, my buddy who flew down to GP Houston is 6-0 so far.

Ass Formation is in Dragons!! ><

Oh. Well, either way it'll be rotated out before Lock gets here.

Someone on reddit suggested that they could also be introducing a new supertype.

WotC doesn't generally consider cards with rules-effect-having supertypes to be vanilla, so that's probably not what Rosewater is hinting at, I'd guess.

Legacy Eldrazi was apparently at 1 and 2 at SCG earlier today.

I can't wait for that sweet delicious Ban Hammer to hit both the lands in the decks.

I mean, they're both probably getting banned in Modern considering Wizards uses sledgehammers rather then scapels, but that they've reached legacy in such power, despite "Legacy has better answers!" Being an answer Reddit spams has to be a giant warning flag, right?

Isamaru, Hound of Konda was considered a Vanilla creature.

Based on what they've said (and tested on the GDS!) about what counts as vanilla for design purposes, they might say "vanilla Legend" about Isamaru but they'd actually count it for design purposes as French vanilla. I know it's a minor distinction but this is the stuff they take into account when teasing stuff -- I'm pretty sure the tease isn't "a mythic vanilla creature" where "vanilla" means "has a rules-significant supertype that makes it not play like a vanilla creature."

Yeef

Running 16 lands that produce 2 mana is pretty good. I know a few people that went down to Philly for the GP and when they were testing the Eldrazi deck seemed incredibly strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom