• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

guill

Regarding future SOI interactions and now that we know madness is present and all that, what cards I guess besides Eldrazi decks that can continue working the same, will see play?

Mini Jace I think will fit in a madness deck? Flip Lili? I was checkin BFZ, ORI, spoilers the other day looking for cards like that.

Drana and Khalitas maybe if they have good vampires/zombies

Yeef

Regarding future SOI interactions and now that we know madness is present and all that, what cards I guess besides Eldrazi decks that can continue working the same, will see play?

Mini Jace I think will fit in a madness deck? Flip Lili? I was checkin BFZ, ORI, spoilers the other day looking for cards like that.

Other than fetch lands, Bant Company doesn't lose many (or any) cards, depending on the build.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I'm sure there will be a new Olivia too.

guill

I have 2 lilis right now, thinking in completing the playset, price is $15 atm, do you guys think SOI will spike her price?

Lots of random Madness support in UR.

Salvage Drone
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Fiery Impulse
Lightning Axe
Tormenting Voice
Hedron Alignment
Oath of Jace
Kozilek's Return
Artificer's Epiphany
Sphinx's Tutelage
Avaricious Dragon
Goblin Dark-Dwellers
Pore over the Pages
Chandra, Flamecaller

...Reality Smasher

Fiery Temper alone is powerful enough to keep an eye out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's not really worth worrying too much about it until we see whether madness is worth building around and what kind of support is in the set designed for it.

I don't get all the people talking about using Chandra's 0 to power Madness. She's a 6 mana Planeseaker that rapidly wins the game on her own if you untap with her. Powering Madness seems less powerful than what she does on her own.

Yeef

I don't get all the people talking about using Chandra's 0 to power Madness. She's a 6 mana Planeseaker that rapidly wins the game on her own if you untap with her. Powering Madness seems less powerful than what she does on her own.
It's added value; no one's going to put Chandra in a deck just to trigger Madness. If you have Fiery Temper in hand and use her 0 it becomes "R: Draw 2 cards + Lightning Bolt," which is amazing. On an empty board and in a race situation her +1 is useful, but less so when you're behind or at parity. Getting extra value out of her 0 ability when the game is stalled is significant.

Firemind

It's still draw one card? Madness doesn't magically draw you an extra card. Also, Fiery Temper was terrible in Standard and during that time Wild Mongrel was legal.

PS. Chandra sucks.

Yeef

It's still draw one card? Madness doesn't magically draw you an extra card. Also, Fiery Temper was terrible in Standard and during that time Wild Mongrel was legal.

PS. Chandra sucks.
Using a card that you wouldn't otherwise be able to use is effectively the same thing as drawing a card.

Firemind

That's where the Lightning Bolt comes in? I mean, when you discard your hand, draw x+1 and cast Fiery Temper, it's still net one card + bolt. The way you phrased it, it's like an Ancestral Recall where the third card is a bolt.

ultron87

Probably final? Lol.

en_CEMpz1LSO4.png

cQeQnITDyd.png

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-conspiracy-2?

Back to 221. What could it meaaaaan?

Yeef

A friend of mine thought maybe this was all leading to a new Un-set, Un-Spiracy. That was an amusing thought.

That's where the Lightning Bolt comes in? I mean, when you discard your hand, draw x+1 and cast Fiery Temper, it's still net one card + bolt. The way you phrased it, it's like an Ancestral Recall where the third card is a bolt.
You literally draw 2 cards and get to cast a lightning bolt (in the form of Fiery Temper). Those are the game actions that happen in the scenario. You're +2 cards, because under normal circumstances, the card you discard would go unused.

Angry Grimace

Most of the time I would rather just -3 turn 1 and then plus till the opponent does.

Yeef

Latest Developments is up, talking about the change in the 2-set block rotation and how it affected things behind the scenes.

This quote stands out:
All of these led up to what is probably the most exciting fall expansion in recent memory—something I am personally really excited about.

Whatever the block after Innistrad is has Sam very excited, apparently.

Rosewater also commented a while back on Blogatog that it was the block he was most excited about in terms of upcoming stuff.

This article told us a few interesting things, actually:

• They let fetch and battlelands overlap specifically because they knew it would be a short time before Khans rotated (and they know now it was a mistake.)
  • They did rearrange all the blocks in the seven-year plan when they switched to two blocks, so Innistrad moved up at least one slot and something else moved down.
  • They consider the stranding of the BFZ mechanics a mistake related to the 2-block transition and hope they can avoid the same problem in the future.

kirblar

Fetch/duals is fine, as long as you pick the right duals. (Shocks would actually be fine.)

Battlelands were just a horribly stupid implementation.

Angry Grimace

I actually forgot that SOI spoilers start in like what 3 weeks?

Yeef

A little over 2 weeks on the website, but usually for large sets they'll spoil some stuff a little in advance of that.

[EDIT] For some reason, i thought it was March already. Back to sleep with me.

Latest Developments is up, talking about the change in the 2-set block rotation and how it affected things behind the scenes.

This quote stands out:

The article was updated. It says "spring" now instead of fall.

Also, I'm not sure why everyone's putting so much stock in the Egyptian and Norse block rumors when they both have zero actual evidence, while Kaladesh has a fair amount.

Angry Grimace

Making a middle eastern set not set on Rabiah would make me sad. It's not like you *have* to use any of the real-world lore from the 1993 set.

Actually reminds me that I should get my last two Deserts. I haven't killed many things with them, but I have killed a Royal Assassin, which I thought was hilarious.

Angry Grimace

It's added value; no one's going to put Chandra in a deck just to trigger Madness. If you have Fiery Temper in hand and use her 0 it becomes "R: Draw 2 cards + Lightning Bolt," which is amazing. On an empty board and in a race situation her +1 is useful, but less so when you're behind or at parity. Getting extra value out of her 0 ability when the game is stalled is significant.

The issue is mostly that Chandra is the most "come from behind and win" card in Standard as it is and her third ability exists to clear board stalls to begin with. Trying to go out of your way to make it more so seems like a weird way to construct a deck.

As an aside semi-unrelated to this, the fact that a powerful mechanic from the past returns is usually, to me, a signal to watch it be powered down. It's sort of like if Delve came back: I wouldn't expect something better than Murderous Cut. But when I'm thinking of "enable Madness" stuff, I'd probably be thinking more about Jace than Chandra given he costs 2 mana. If Lili was easier to flip, I think she'd be the best option.

Ashodin

The article was updated. It says "spring" now instead of fall.

Also, I'm not sure why everyone's putting so much stock in the Egyptian and Norse block rumors when they both have zero actual evidence, while Kaladesh has a fair amount.
Because fuck Chandra?

Actually I'd love it, artifacts ssssss

There are some......interesting rumors about the Fall set out there. I'm not putting much stock in them but I'll certainly note them for now.

That Egypt rumor is laughably bullshit. You have to look at these things in terms of what information exists and who has access to it. Typical leaks come from people in the supply chain or other external people who are trusted enough to have secret info but not central enough to actually supply it. That's why most leaked info is "cards from the next upcoming set" or "info about something that comes out in three months" and why leaks about distant upcoming sets are basically non-existent.

The information in this rumor, on the other hand, doesn't even really exist. The design process for a set in the Spring of 2017 isn't even complete yet; they're not close to the point where they'd have a final public name for the set. And think about the exact information shared. Who'd have information about the creative reasoning behind set choices? Only actual R&D members, who aren't exactly going to be leaking on 4chan. And the supposed reason they give doesn't make any sense and goes explicitly against what they told us was happening with the storyline.

March 14th.

Yeef

The issue is mostly that Chandra is the most "come from behind and win" card in Standard as it is and her third ability exists to clear board stalls to begin with. Trying to go out of your way to make it more so seems like a weird way to construct a deck.
Chandra is good at wiping away small creatures and getting in for damage against a board full of smaller creatures, but if the opponent has any creatures with 5 toughness or more (or even plays 4 toughness creatures after you wipe), both her + and minus abilities get a lot worse.

But when I'm thinking of "enable Madness" stuff, I'd probably be thinking more about Jace than Chandra given he costs 2 mana. If Lili was easier to flip, I think she'd be the best option.
Madness will almost certainly be the UR draft strategy since they're the spell colors (the discard stuff also overlaps with the likely UB Zombie archetype); most of the madness cards will likely show up in those colors, so if there's a constructed deck there it'd also likely be in those colors.

Crocodile

That Egypt rumor is laughably bullshit. You have to look at these things in terms of what information exists and who has access to it. Typical leaks come from people in the supply chain or other external people who are trusted enough to have secret info but not central enough to actually supply it. That's why most leaked info is "cards from the next upcoming set" or "info about something that comes out in three months" and why leaks about distant upcoming sets are basically non-existent.

The information in this rumor, on the other hand, doesn't even really exist. The design process for a set in the Spring of 2017 isn't even complete yet; they're not close to the point where they'd have a final public name for the set. And think about the exact information shared. Who'd have information about the creative reasoning behind set choices? Only actual R&D members, who aren't exactly going to be leaking on 4chan. And the supposed reason they give doesn't make any sense and goes explicitly against what they told us was happening with the storyline.

I don't buy the rumor (for many of the reasons you've stated - i.e. who would have this info and actually leak it? I figure Spring 2017 is pretty much done at this point though or at least done enough for someone in the world to have this sort of info), I'm just passing it along because I thought it was funny (an Egypt set would be cool though) and required little mental energy to file way in my head in the 1 in 213411325 chance it was accurate. Sorry if I was unclear on that.

Angry Grimace

Chandra is good at wiping away small creatures and getting in for damage against a board full of smaller creatures, but if the opponent has any creatures with 5 toughness or more (or even plays 4 toughness creatures after you wipe), both her + and minus abilities get a lot worse.

Madness will almost certainly be the UR draft strategy since they're the spell colors (the discard stuff also overlaps with the likely UB Zombie archetype); most of the madness cards will likely show up in those colors, so if there's a constructed deck there it'd also likely be in those colors.

If your opponent has a bunch of those you just lose. I'm not suggesting there's no use for it - I just think its a bit too corner-case to really deckbuild specifically towards that interaction, e.g. I don't think I would put Chandra in a deck that didn't specifically want Chandra anyways just for that Madness interaction.

Yeef

If your opponent has a bunch of those you just lose. I'm not suggesting there's no use for it - I just think its a bit too corner-case to really deckbuild specifically towards that interaction, e.g. I don't think I would put Chandra in a deck that didn't specifically want Chandra anyways just for that Madness interaction.
Then we're in agreement. :p
It's added value; no one's going to put Chandra in a deck just to trigger Madness

Spring 2017? Design should definitely be done. They're a year and a half in the future.

Yeah I misspoke, it'd be in development now but still reasonably far from being locked (generally happens like 6 months before release.) Certainly all the marketing stuff would be in process but they wouldn't have names locked for anything coming out in 2017 yet.

(an Egypt set would be cool though)

My GDS2 entry. ;_;

Angry Grimace

Then we're in agreement. :p

Well, the reason I brought it up is that a lot of people both here and at my LGS are picking up Chandra specifically for the interaction.

I went in on Avaricious Dragons and Erebos's Titans a few weeks ago (10 of each at $1 each). I figure it's at least reasonable that they might shoot up two or three dollars when Madness is officially unveiled, so I can unload a quick playset for $10 and make my money back.

And if it doesn't work out, it's just $20, not too bad.

Lucario

MTGO just restarted a match again. This bug really needs to fuck off.

It was an during an interesting game against a very skilled Death's Shadow player. They knew their deck insanely well.

He had me on the ropes in game 2, and I had just played an Endbringer. The plan was to cast a free 2/2 Endless One to chump block for a turn, then slowly ping him to death with the Endbringer (he was at 3 or 4).

Naturally, as I was casting the endbringer, the game fucking replayed itself, like in LSV's infamous Oblivion Ring video. After the replay finished, I was prompted to choose play or draw, and the match proceeded as if Game 2 had never happened.

I ended up winning the match and conceding with lethal on the stack. Not gonna win like that, especially when I was less than 5% to win game 2. But I sure as fuck am going to file for reimbursement.

Ashodin

I went in on Avaricious Dragons and Erebos's Titans a few weeks ago (10 of each at $1 each). I figure it's at least reasonable that they might shoot up two or three dollars when Madness is officially unveiled, so I can unload a quick playset for $10 and make my money back.

And if it doesn't work out, it's just $20, not too bad.
Looks like Dragon's already going up, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom