• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Literally at the cheapest point he's ever been according to MTGGoldfish right now.
The problem with adding a rotation is that you create a new lame duck time in which people burn out and don't want to play Standard.

The MTGGoldfish article about Rares / Uncommons and a few podcasts I've heard talk about the Eternal Masters land that comes AFTER Wasteland.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/predicting-eternal-masters-rares-and-uncommons

They're all W cards... Am I completely crazy in thinking it could also be Zoetic Cavern? No one seems to mention it.

I feel like if your list includes Wizards' School, you're open to anything.

I don't think it is Zoetic Cavern (I'm #teamwirewoodlodge) but I agree there's no obvious reason it should be excluded from that list.

I don't think it is Zoetic Cavern (I'm #teamwirewoodlodge) but I agree there's no obvious reason it should be excluded from that list.

Haha fair, I don't really think it is either, unless there was some heavy morph archetype which seems rather unlikely. I just like that land and wanted to bring it up :)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
She looks very green. I get Huntmaster vibes from her art. She's also smiling in a clearly not evil way.

That name though. I feel like 70% of the PW names are generic "high fantasy, vaguely anglo-saxon gobbledygook".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";197344070]Where's all the Boom // Bust decks? :)[/QUOTE]

Buried under the Eldrazi Horde

jph139

New Planeswalker is cool - definitely interested in her color identity. Green is a lock, Red is likely, but I could see White in the mix as well. Maybe even Black.

Angry Grimace

I bet you she's just straight GR. Werewolves are GR on Innistrad, it seems pretty simple to me.

Magic Story - Under the Silver Moon
* Kreines reconfirms that she can write fine as long as the story doesn't involve Nissa or Zendikar.
* On Innistrad, witchers monster hunters Halana (Hal) and Alena, both women, are present at a town hall meeting concerning the murder of a farmer's cow. The townspeople are more willing to believe that one of the cows got possessed and ate the other, which would be a simple matter of replacing wards, than that there could actually be werewolves near the town.
* The meeting is interrupted by the discovery of an apparent murder. Hal and Alena sneak into the hotel room where a cathar and his wife have gone missing, with blood on the ground. They investigate and discover clues, including a chair in a closet with broken straps. They immediately suspect that the husband is the killer and a werewolf, which of course means the wife is the killer.
* They sneak out of the room before the actual investigators can come in. Even though they protect everyone, monster hunters are mistrusted, and it would be bad if they were at the scene of the crime.
* They follow werewolf tracks to various places, and more murders occur, but there doesn't appear to be a link between the tracks and the murders.
* They find the bodies in the forest, but instead of being eaten, they were ritualistically dismembered.
* They find the cathar's wife about to sacrifice the cathar on an altar, while chanting a demon's name. It turns out she isn't a werewolf, but a demon cultist. The cathar thought he could control her, but he couldn't.
* The hunters try to stop her, but she succeeds in killing her husband. Then they fight, but despite being frail-looking, the wife has multiple Unholy Strengths enchanted on her and it takes both hunters to just barely hold down one of her arms.
* A werewolf comes to their rescue and they kill the wife, and the werewolf surrounds the hunters with her pack. This werewolf was behind the cow murder, but not the human murders. She is able to transform back into a human despite the moon still being out, and tells the hunters to stop killing those of her pack and stay out of her woods. There's a great danger coming, and they'll need the help of the werewolves in the future.
* In post-credts twist, the werewolf is a planeswalker!

Planeswalker Profile - Arlinn Kord
* She was a werewolf since she was a teenager, but tried to resist it and even became an archmage while hiding her secret. However, she lost control at one point and killed several people.
* This caused her spark to ignite, and on this other plane, she was able to regain her human consciousness, but was stuck in werewolf form.
* It turns out she can only switch forms on Innistrad, but thanks to the above experience, she is able to retain her human mind in both forms and can change at will on that plane.
* She has embraced her werewolf side and wants to protect her pack.

And new images:
c4rd4r7_sGipe4TBjF.jpg

c4rd4r7_nJSF7KlCDN.jpg

9c4rd4r7_nrKKL8ohyw.jpg

c4rd4r7_GJoTe8KJtl.jpg

c4rd4r7_TkYCOwPqrw.jpg

c4rd4r7_h9XsKVPIrA.jpg

c4rd4r7_Domal7RecD.jpg

SOI_PW_Arlinn_Kord_image_gallery.jpg

OnPoint

I feel like Arlinn is red-green. Werewolves on Innistrad are RG and I'd be shocked if they got cute and undermined the tribe's identity. It also lets them get an RG werewolf commander legend out there, so it's two birds one stone. Plus what other RG 'walkers are there? Domri was never a story player and Xenagos is dead. She's gonna be a more involved character as we go forward, I bet.

Angry Grimace

I feel like Arlinn is red-green. Werewolves on Innistrad are RG and I'd be shocked if they got cute and undermined the tribe's identity. It also lets them get an RG werewolf commander legend out there, so it's two birds one stone. Plus what other RG 'walkers are there? Domri was never a story player and Xenagos is dead. She's gonna be a more involved character as we go forward, I bet.

It depends if this is an Origins style flipwalker or a Garruk Relentless style, really.

My gut feeling is that the RG Legend Werewolf is less likely to be Arlinn and more likely to be a separate card.

Santiako

The image formatting weirdly looks like the creature side is the human side and the pw side is the wolf one, but that could be just the website.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
* It turns out she can only switch forms on Innistrad, but thanks to the above experience, she is able to retain her human mind in both forms and can change at will on that plane.

That's...odd

Well no, okay, its their "out" for printing single sided versions of her in the future

"Oh well we're on Theros now so you only get the werewolf side"

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't get why werewolves are back though. Didn't AVR cure lycanthropy?

Angry Grimace

No, not really. The Cursemute just fixed their transformations to not be as horrible, or something. I guess it was sort of like taking the Wolfsbane Potion.

They're going with the explanation that only some werewolves became wolfir.

The image formatting weirdly looks like the creature side is the human side and the pw side is the wolf one, but that could be just the website.

Actually, it's because the Planeswalker Profile page has cropped versions of both sides of her card. The story article had the full version of the werewolf side, so I used that instead of the cropped version, but only the cropped version of the human side is available.

That's...odd

Well no, okay, its their "out" for printing single sided versions of her in the future

"Oh well we're on Theros now so you only get the werewolf side"

I hadn't considered that, but it makes a lot of sense. As for the in-story explanation, werewolf transformations on Innistrad are caused by Innistrad's moon specifically.

Angry Grimace

IIRC, they just became sentient and stuck in wolf form.

The Cursemute only affected the willing. Those who either enjoyed being werewolves or whatever other reason WOTC invented were not affected. That was actually always in the story - not all of them wanted to be Wolf-people.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah this is what is confusing me. I thought they all got turned in the Wolfir

I'm fine with this honestly, this is the sort of retcon born purely from "oh shit maybe we shouldn't screw up our beloved worlds at the end of stories so we can't return to them properly"

Nissa's character change is still bullshit though, that was ground for an interesting story

Santiako

Actually, it's because the Planeswalker Profile page has cropped versions of both sides of her card. The story article had the full version of the werewolf side, so I used that instead of the cropped version, but only the cropped version of the human side is available.

That would explain it.

Angry Grimace

I'm guessing Arlinn is not the RG Werewolf lord simply because she'd probably have to be some kind of tribal lord for that to work, and given how much people hated Racist Nissa's card makes me think its less likely they'd do it with a Planeswalker again.

I mean, I guess Sarkhan-4 was vaguely tribal, but his ultimate is the most win-more ability ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom