• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

I'm guessing Arlinn is not the RG Werewolf lord simply because she'd probably have to be some kind of tribal lord for that to work, and given how much people hated Racist Nissa's card makes me think its less likely they'd do it with a Planeswalker again.

I mean, I guess Sarkhan-4 was vaguely tribal, but his ultimate is the most win-more ability ever.

RG werewolf lord and RG werewolf tribal legend are not mutually exclusive. Maybe her creature side will tutor for werewolves or something an enable a tier-1 werewolf deck in standard?

I'd prefer it if she wasn't that much tribal actually. A commander doesn't have to be particularly tribal to be good, it's much more important that it's thematically sound to me and actually a good card.

Come to think of it, why the hell doesn't Gideon, Ally of Zendikar tutor for Allies? They obviously wanted Allies to be a deck and it would have given them a stronger push, plus with Gideon having done his best "We're here to talk to you about the Seagate Initiative", it would have been flavorful vs Generic " All Creatures you control get +1/+1".

BFZ continues to find new ways to confuse me in it's design.

Probably because Tazri already existed in concept.

RG werewolf lord and RG werewolf tribal legend are not mutually exclusive. Maybe her creature side will tutor for werewolves or something an enable a tier-1 werewolf deck in standard?

Come to think of it, why the hell doesn't Gideon, Ally of Zendikar tutor for Allies? They obviously wanted Allies to be a deck and it would have given them a stronger push, plus with Gideon having done his best "We're here to talk to you about the Seagate Initiative", it would have been flavorful vs Generic " All Creatures you control get +1/+1".

BFZ continues to find new ways to confuse me in it's design.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

That's my point: Racist Nissa was an Elf tribal walker that tutored for Elves and everyone hated the card to the point they re-wrote her character. Planeswalker design has reached the point where it feels like they design them such that they're not part of linear strategies and more of cards that are designed to be generically good in decks of the right style and color.

I just see a lot of practical and mechanical deckbuilding restrictions. I'm guessing that whoever it is that won't shut up about a Legendary RG Werewolf legend was looking for a Lord along the lines of Mayor of Avabruck or Master of the Wild Hunt or something.

So she's a planeswalker that will flip into a Werewolf creature? That could be kind of a clever way of doing the Gideon thing.

She'll be a Garruk-style PW with two sides because in her backstory she sparked as a teen and she's much older now -- the Origins walkers were all specifically their young selves. Both sides will be PWs because she explicitly can planeswalk in either form. (As someone else mentioned, the inability to shift on other planes is definitely there so they can do single-sided versions in other blocks.)

All this stuff is telegraphed by the story, because the character bio is pretty much written to support the gameplay they're interested in.

All werewolves so far have been red or green; her story screams green to me; plus maybe another color (white or red is possible)

I'll reread later but I'm leaning towards mono-green based on how she's presented so far. Her backstory could support white but I think a white werewolf would be weird.

My gut feeling is that the RG Legend Werewolf is less likely to be Arlinn and more likely to be a separate card.

Right, Arlinn doesn't actually achieve the things people were looking for in a WW legend.
They also already have a character they can use for this which, again, has a backstory designed to support a mechanical element: Tovolar, the werewolf who never turns back human. I feel pretty confident that they'll just check both boxes individually rather than try to jam them awkwardly together.

Comparing this art to, say, Return to Ravnica is night and day, its crazy. This might be part of a major course correction for them

My theory was that Origins and BFZ had a lot of reused concept art, slapdash digital, etc. as part of the troubled handover to the two-block system, and so far SOI is suggesting to me that I was on the right track. They've also increased the number of art directors so it wouldn't surprise me if they had one junior AD working exclusively on each block now, which should help a lot if true.

I don't get why werewolves are back though. Didn't AVR cure lycanthropy?

For one, as people have mentioned the cursemute never actually affected every single werewolf, but secondly they've indicated that it's an ongoing effect that Avacyn needs to sustain rather than a one-time thing, so the corruption of the angels is causing it to wear off.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A return to Innistrad is just so much more exciting IMO than a return to Zendikar because Zendikar is inherently generic and defined mostly by Eldrazi at this point. It just has way more interesting lore by default.

I've always felt like people's prior desire to return to Zendikar was influenced far more by the power level of the Constructed cards and the limited environment of ROE (which was not a realistic target to return to).

Angry Grimace

Since Sealed Leagues have no timing restriction on deckbuilding, let's see what you guys think:

rSHwDHD.jpg

Guardian of Tazeem is bomby, I guess and blue seems sorta okay? IDK about the rest of this. Most of the sealed I play prereleases and I tend to be very much "just play whatever the coolest card I opened is," which in this case is "literally nothing."

But yeah, looking through the cards without time, I think its better than I initially thought - black/blue seems the way to go.

Well blue is a given, after that it's between black or white.

Mindmelter is really mean once your opponent is hellbent. I'd go UB colorless on a first glance. Looking at that Essence depleter definitely UB, that card is absolutely firstpickable and blue gives you a lot of colourless sources. Warping Wail is also great. Counter a sorcery and killing an X/1 or 1/X is more applicable than it seems. Pool looks pretty great in that regard just missing a prophet.

A return to Innistrad is just so much more exciting IMO than a return to Zendikar because Zendikar is inherently generic and defined mostly by Eldrazi at this point. It just has way more interesting lore by default.

The parts of Zendikar's setting with a bit more texture to them were the look of the plane (pretty great, but this mostly begins and ends at the full-art lands), the god/eldrazi mythos (that was interesting while it was a mystery), and the Adventure World thing (that's dropped completely in BFZ.) That leaves you with something super flat and generic, like you say, when it's just "ZEN vs. Eldrazi."

Ashodin

The art is gorgeous.

Fucking LOVE how Arlinn is a 40 yr old woman

Also my boy Odric is back too, I see he has art in the new Duel Deck

Angry Grimace

Well blue is a given, after that it's between black or white.

Mindmelter is really mean once your opponent is hellbent. I'd go UB colorless on a first glance. Looking at that Essence depleter definitely UB, that card is absolutely firstpickable and blue gives you a lot of colourless sources. Warping Wail is also great. Counter a sorcery and killing an X/1 or 1/X is more applicable than it seems. Pool looks pretty great in that regard just missing a prophet.

Right now I have blue/black/colorless and vaguely enough cards to fill out the pool.

It looks better than I initially thought.

bigkrev

Here is my pool. Pretty sure Green is one of my colors, probably with White. Red doesn't seem like it has enough playables

Angry Grimace

I would splash Dragonmaster Outcast in any pool regardless haha. It's an unbeatable bomb if you untap with it with the right number of lands. You have a shitload of black removal though with Tar Snare, Demon's Grasp, Grasp of Darkness, Disregard and Oblivion Strike. The lack of playable creatures in those colors is pretty bad though.

You have a Green/White and a Green/Black deck. My gut likes the Green/Black deck better, but that might just be my natural bias.

Green: Oran-Rief Invoker, Snapping Gnarlid, 2x Netcaster Spider, Tajuru Stalwart, Saddleback Lagac, Embodiment of Insight, 2x Nissa's Judgment, Tajuru Pathwarden, World Breaker (11 cards)

Black: Grasp of Darkness, Complete Disregard, Tar Snare, Vampire Envoy, Mire's Malice, Null Caller, Oblivion Strike, Demon's Grasp (8 cards)

Splash Dragonmaster Outcast. Play Seer's Lantern for a little bit of ramp and better topdecks when the game inevitably goes long. That's 21 cards.

I assume this deck wants to play 18 lands, so you need one more playable. I think you might go hard on the splash and play either Touch of the Void or Radiant Flames. Or you could play Canopy Gorger for a piece of beef.

You have options when sideboarding to lower or raise your curve, which is really nice.

I would also build the GW deck and have it saved to your playable decks to be able to switch in game two if you think that the matchup requires you to be proactive. Or, if you're just more comfortable with GW, start there and be able to side back into GB if you need to slow the pace of the game down.

I like your pool. It has a lot of play to it.

Angry Grimace

I don't think Arlinn will be a creature at all. Her storyline strongly suggests she can move back and forth between wolf and human but the way Planeswalker cards work with loyalty counters would make it mechanically awkward for her to have both creature and Planeswalker types.

The Origins type Plansewalkers can do it, but they aren't ever meant to flip repeatedly.

You have a Green/White and a Green/Black deck. My gut likes the Green/Black deck better, but that might just be my natural bias.

Green: Oran-Rief Invoker, Snapping Gnarlid, 2x Netcaster Spider, Tajuru Stalwart, Saddleback Lagac, Embodiment of Insight, 2x Nissa's Judgment, Tajuru Pathwarden, World Breaker (11 cards)

Black: Grasp of Darkness, Complete Disregard, Tar Snare, Vampire Envoy, Mire's Malice, Null Caller, Oblivion Strike, Demon's Grasp (8 cards)

Splash Dragonmaster Outcast. Play Seer's Lantern for a little bit of ramp and better topdecks when the game inevitably goes long. That's 21 cards.

I assume this deck wants to play 18 lands, so you need one more playable. I think you might go hard on the splash and play either Touch of the Void or Radiant Flames. Or you could play Canopy Gorger for a piece of beef.

You have options when sideboarding to lower or raise your curve, which is really nice.

I would also build the GW deck and have it saved to your playable decks to be able to switch in game two if you think that the matchup requires you to be proactive. Or, if you're just more comfortable with GW, start there and be able to side back into GB if you need to slow the pace of the game down.

I like your pool. It has a lot of play to it.

MTGO sealed leagues let you change your deck in between rounds (or even create multiple decks to switch between) if you don't like what you ended up with.

MTGO sealed leagues let you change your deck in between rounds (or even create multiple decks to switch between) if you don't like what you ended up with.

Yeah; I might not have explained it that well, but that's what I was getting at. I would build both the GW and GB decks and have them saved to be able to pick and choose after sideboards. I would default to starting the GB deck, but that's a personal bias and might not actually be right.

I've actually just been playing a lot of Khans of Tarkir sealed, thanks to the MTGO beta, and I've played very little OGW sealed. So it's possible you should just ignore my advice altogether. ;)

Doing some practice drafts lately on cockatrice to get ready for this week's Sealed online PPTQs.

Just wound up with this one:

naya86rrw.png

C O N S I S T E N C Y B O Y Z

Angry Grimace

I don't understand how free drafts are supposed to help you with a Sealed PPTQ.

I'm not even saying that to be mean - it seems like you could just generate a pool anywhere. Or does this have a top-8 draft component (in which case it seems a bit much to be preparing for Top 8).

Bandini

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";197374547]Doing some practice drafts lately on cockatrice to get ready for this week's Sealed online PPTQs.

Just wound up with this one:

naya86rrw.png

C O N S I S T E N C Y B O Y Z[/QUOTE]

Needs more Bone Saws.

I don't understand how free drafts are supposed to help you with a Sealed PPTQ.

I'm not even saying that to be mean - it seems like you could just generate a pool anywhere. Or does this have a top-8 draft component (in which case it seems a bit much to be preparing for Top 8).

Mostly to make sure I keep up with all the combat tricks, etc. I do sealed practices as well.

Angry Grimace

Won my first round easily
Lost my second round (I only played one game and had to leave to take care of a client)
Won my third round (good games, won off of an Essence Depleter chumping that 8/9 Trample guy and winning on the crackback through a huge board stall with my Guardian of Tazeem)

Angry Grimace