• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

G.ZZZ

Banning both is a severe over-reaction. It's still allowed to be a T1 deck, and since mana ramping is still a legit strategy and considering Tron lands are allowed, Temple remaining would be just fine. What can't be allowed is infinite, scalable mana ramping that allows for free spell casting on T1. Eye is the problem.

With only Temple, Spreading Seas/Molten Rain strategies would actually be viable. Without Eye, Thought-Knots couldn't always come down before reasonable counter strategies, Mimics couldn't come down for free, Displacers couldn't cost one and repeatable tutors couldn't be a thing.

Temple still allow T1 Mimic T2 TKS T3 Smasher. Eye don't. Eye is legendary and terrible in multiples. Triple Mimic T1 is not that good when you can't follow it up with TKS or anything bigger than a 3/2. I agree the effect is stronger in a vacuum, but i think the deck would actually be unplayable (with some good starts) with just eye and actually decent with just temple.

EDIT: also i agree that they should actually ban everything that is over 50$ so the game is actually affordable and scalpers can go fuck themselves.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Temple still allow T1 Mimic T2 TKS T3 Smasher. Eye don't. Eye is legendary and terrible in multiples. Triple Mimic T1 is not that good when you can't follow it up with TKS or anything bigger than a 3/2. I agree the effect is stronger in a vacuum, but i think the deck would actually be unplayable (with some good starts) with just eye and actually decent with just temple.

I mean, yes, mana ramping allows for mana ramping. And I don't think we're ever going to agree if you think the deck would be unplayable with the land that allows for free spell casting and universal mana reduction at no loss of tempo. The deck is tier alpha because of Eye.

Edit: Oh, you're on some wilding out shit tonight. Carry on. Lol

ironmang

EDIT: also i agree that they should actually ban everything that is over 50$ so the game is actually affordable and scalpers can go fuck themselves.

This is a terrible idea lol. Where are those new players going to play now that stores are closing left and right due to losing absurd amounts of money?

All the evidence points to 2mana lands being too good for the format (Tron's weird restriction being a proven exception). There's no reason to take the risk on Temple.

Hero

Can't tell if serious, but just in case you are, this is literally the worst post in the past few pages.

bigkrev

Ben Friedman is going to be ill if he ever watches his game 3 back. Had the win for multiple turns in hand, but played around a dismember for like 6 turns and never had the chance to go off in the face of Displacer-Drowner-ThoughtKnot-Training Ground

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ben Friedman is going to be ill if he ever watches his game 3 back. Had the win for multiple turns in hand, but played around a dismember for like 6 turns and never had the chance to go off in the face of Displacer-Drowner-ThoughtKnot-Training Ground

He played the conservative route LSV suggested and it cost him.

I like how awkward it is that none of the casters are allowed to say "this card should be banned."

the more we learn about shadows the less likely it seems that emrakul is involved tbh........

The Shadows Over Innistrad trailer was literally card art cut together between shots of purple Emrakul lattice.

All the evidence points to 2mana lands being too good for the format (Tron's weird restriction being a proven exception). There's no reason to take the risk on Temple.

The reason not to take the chance is betting on the idea that people are so sick of Eldrazi as a concept that you need to nuke it from orbit to be sure, but the reason to leave Temple is that all things being equal it is always dramatically better for long-term format health to bump a broken deck down to tier 1.5 - 2 than it is to eliminate it completely.

I'm not going to theorize too much about what the actual result would be of just an Eye ban, since really the only way to know is to test pretty extensively with an Eye-less list, but WotC does have a pretty big incentive to stop there if that decisively solves the problem.

G.ZZZ

Huh? Where would they play? My local stores are pretty heavily invested in singles. They really couldn't take something like most of their inventory suddenly becoming worthless.

Pauper didn't make shops go broke in case u are actually answering seriously.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Aaron Forsythe is doing an interview between this round and the next to talk mostly about the future of Modern, e.g. probably will confirm in a sly way that something's getting banninated.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I haven't been following up too closely on the lore aspect, but for w/e reason (mainly art-related stuff, I suppose), the Avacyn/angel corruption almost seems more like a Nahiri revenge aspect, rather than Emrakul.

Not saying Emrakul isn't involved, mind, but the angels going from 'Protector' to 'Inquisition' doesn't feel quite Eldrazi-ish to me, per se - unless Emrakul's playing a Bolas-level behind-the-scenes scenario.

Curious to see, off of that possible pic of her being destroyed is real, if Sorin will try to rebuild her.

Would be a shame if she stays gone, I really like her, and the PPG's/other Innistrad angels.

Lucario

Why is Archangel of Thune spiking?

Spike Feeder combo? It's been getting very popular on MTGO, lets you combo off for infinite life through Relic.

Plus it's a mythic from an unpopular core set. Price probably won't re-adjust after a buyout, even though it's a 1-of.

Angry Grimace

My record in limited events is comically bad the last month. I think I have won maybe one match.

Actually, my record in general is comically bad, in constructed and limited :(

Santiako

I haven't been following up too closely on the lore aspect, but for w/e reason (mainly art-related stuff, I suppose), the Avacyn/angel corruption almost seems more like a Nahiri revenge aspect, rather than Emrakul.

Not saying Emrakul isn't involved, mind, but the angels going from 'Protector' to 'Inquisition' doesn't feel quite Eldrazi-ish to me, per se - unless Emrakul's playing a Bolas-level behind-the-scenes scenario.

Curious to see, off of that possible pic of her being destroyed is real, if Sorin will try to rebuild her.

Would be a shame if she stays gone, I really like her, and the PPG's/other Innistrad angels.

I don't think that Avacyn is corrupted, I think she's killing the emrakul corrupted humanoids, and then the rest of the humanoids just in case.

In a study of contrasts, on the one hand you have the Constructed Resources co-host, whose behavior has been thoroughly examined in the recent pages.

On the other you have the Limited resources co-host signing autographs for adorable little girls:

Cc4GcjhVIAEo_4a.jpg

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I don't think that Avacyn is corrupted, I think she's killing the emrakul corrupted humanoids, and then the rest of the humanoids just in case.

The 'Humans must be protected via their destruction' angle I could see, but I'd (probably foolishly) hope for something with a bit more originality, lol.

Then again, Innistrad is pretty trope-y in its 'throwback' approach to classic horror staples, so you're probably right, lol.

EFro is the constructed resources host? Yeesh.

Used to be Jon Loucks but he was so sour from working on MTGO he quit playing Magic completely, lol.

Eldrazi definitely getting B and R list addition, straight from Forsythe.

Confirmed they will definitely ban something, strongly hints that they'll try to nerf the deck without destroying it, so basically Eye banned, Temple left alone.

EDIT: God the audio is fucking awful on the stream this event.

ironmang

Don't sell everything, they said they won't nuke it, just nerf it. It will still be one of the top decks I imagine.

I imagine a lot of people will be trying to sell pieces they bought to specifically for a few tournaments before a banning. I'd rather just rid myself of anything related to eldrazi.

Santiako

I imagine a lot of people will be trying to sell pieces they bought to specifically for a few tournaments before a banning. I'd rather just rid myself of anything related to eldrazi.

Fair enough, we've had a lifetime worth of them in just a couple of months lol

Finished a very rough first draft of my skilltesting cube. It's called reduced variance there, but when I started jamming all that stuff the cards were a little too generically powerful. Some of that is fine, but I want to see how much decision-making I can cram into one of these things. I try to have as many high-utility, complicated or conditional cards as I can fit in here. Trying to force games with as much dynamic play as possible.

Some basic themes for each color:

• White - Tokens/Lifegain
  • Blue - Tempo/Tribal synergy
  • Black - Sacrifice
  • Red - Odd-Angle Aggro
  • Green - Toolbox Bullets

For an example, here's the first couple decks I built with the little draft simulator thing:

nayatlzbt.png

Any ideas or recommendations would be cool. It was just something I did in between rounds of MTGO games yesterday.

Angry Grimace

lol Abzan Company guy on infinite life, but UW Eldrazi guy is using Eye of ugin to search up Ulamog to deck him
KuGsj.gif

G.ZZZ

Why are you talking about pauper? wtf lol

You suggested they ban everything over $50 and I gave just one reason why that's a horrible idea.

I suggested doing that in response to a dude saying "ban all the cards" referring to modern as a way to quench the thirst of people wanting to ban everything and create an enjoyable and actually affordable format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom