• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

I don't think Flip Avacyn ever sees play as a 4x. She's good, but the CC and deck style is restrictive.

Insane Chord target though.

Yet you guys are dominating the discussion over a format where it's literally just Eldrazi or Affinity... :\

Yeah, but the Standard thing is just normal standard things. Late Theros block Standard was a lot like this, not a ton worth discussing. Not every Standard format is INN-RTR or THS-KTK, most are kind of boring.

The Modern thing is a huge issue and a massive, massive warping of the format. Decks that spent years of tuning and subtle changes are just gone. This sort of thing doesn't happen that often with formats that have access to larger card pools. And it's happened twice in a little over a year with Treasure Cruise and the new cheap Eldrazi. And even the Treasure Cruise decks weren't this bad.

ultron87

They're almost certainly gonna change the rules so she only flips once. They wouldn't print a card where that unintuitive of a thing happens as often as two creatures dying on the same turn.

Tabak hinted as much as Tumblr.

kirblar

Cc7BROnUYAEDMib.jpg
:p

OnPoint

Oh, fun.

G eralf’s masterpiece
avacynian missionari E s
compelling de T errence

archangel A vacyn

tooth C ollector
shard of broken g L ass
incorrigible yo U ths
relentless d E ad
declaration in S tone
aberran T researcher
byg O ne bishop
brai N in a jar
h E ir of falkenrath​

Dang... mine is lackluster.

Lemme try again:

brain in a J ar
A berrant researcher
tooth C ollector
relentless d E ad

geral F ’s masterpiece
A vacynian missionaries
compelling dete R rence
heir of falkenra T h
declaration in S tone
incorrigible yo U ths
ar C hangel avacyn
shard of bro K en glass
bygone bi S hop​

Oh, much more mature of me.

What formula did you use or did someone use to figure out the Emrakul one? it's honestly kind of cool

I just got fucked over by MTGO playing an 8-4 draft. I won my first round with UB control, then some time later it pops up saying that I had received product and kicked me out at 1-1. I never got up from my computer. This is bullshit. This is the second time in a week I've had to file for reimbursement.

I was enjoying playing my deck as well:

nayapguhr.png

ironmang

Pretty sweet deck I'm running in my sealed league. Didn't get much in the way of bombs but I got the 2 ondu war cleric, 2 vampire envoy, 2 cliffhaven vampire combo which is doing the lord's work. Plenty of support too for my fliers. Red might be better than green here but it's pretty close. Already overflowing with good 2 drops which is rare from my experience so the zada's commando and weapon's trainer aren't really necessary. This also seems like the only kind of aggressive deck where sheer drop is quite good. It should usually be a race with my fliers vs some random 4 an 5 power ground guys so it'll have plenty of targets.

GdXPSBC.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wait, what is this? This looks insane and glorious and everything in-between.

I highly doubt they're actually bringing Licids back, but it would be hilarious if they did

It would actually work really well with the transform mechanic, but I wonder if any of the names we know of from the checklist card sound appropriate

Hero

One of the flip cards on the check list card seemed to be something that was licid-like and went along with the image.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Saw this. The wording is interesting. Seems they may be angling at ditching separate components like Duels and MTGO for a unified system. That probably means ditching the client and going browser based. Also, definitely reading a bit into this, but the mentioning of parity between paper and online competition has me hopeful that they're at least looking at some system that mixes them a bit.

G.ZZZ

Legacy Pod things on Turn 2!

Wd5Jru3.png

JustLegacyThings

For those guessing the order it went like this:

T1-> forest, veteran explorer.

T2-> phyrexian tower, tap, sac explorer for BB, get forest and island (3 untapped lands). Tap island and use BB to cast Pod for 3, dodging daze. Tap 1 for another explorer. Tap the last mana to activate pod and get forest and swamp, plus baleful strix. Use the swamp to cast cabal therapy.
Incidentally, Legacy Pod ruin Eldrazi.

The Technomancer

3. No flippy-floppy

I've saved our most technical change for last. Here's the new rule: if a DFC has an activated or triggered ability that transforms it, that permanent transforms only if it hasn't since that ability was put on the stack. What does that mean? For example, say you activate Elusive Tormentor's ability, then you activate it again in response. Why? Because you want to discard a lot of cards. Why? We're almost there. Relax. The first ability to resolve will cause Elusive Tormentor to transform, as expected. But the second ability won't, as Elusive Tormentor has already transformed because of the first ability.
As expected, no infinite Avacyn

OnPoint

en_U7frO1JeCJ.png

Nahiri AND Emrakul-tendrils?

Also Magnifying Glass has awesome art.

Man am I hyped for this set.

Nah. Which blue deck would ever play a cheap blocker (that survies a bolt) that they can transform, presumably with relative ease, into a 7/8 that bounces all other creatures?

Haha ok, so you agree. I figured white-blue control could use this as a finisher?

The Technomancer

Thinking about it, Delirium is an interesting way to encourage playing Auras in Limited

After Creature, Instant and Sorcery its probably easiest to get Auras into your graveyard

ultron87

I really, really like the rules changes for DFCs.

Yeah, giving them a converted mana cost makes a lot of sense (Ratchet Bomb killing flipped cards was silly) and players probably screwed up the multiple flips thing more often than not so it makes sense to have that happen. Also it is just better for flavor.

The Technomancer

The Nahiri Sorin thing is much more interesting to me personally because it brings Planeswalkers slightly back towards being really really powerful figures with murkier morality and not just "world hopping wizards"

Nahiri is pissed, so in retaliation she decides she's going to completely fuck with Sorin's entire homeworld. That's some good shit

OnPoint

The art in this set... it's like Innistrad was put through Google Deep Dream.

Elusive Tormenter/Insidious Mist: Shouldn't the art on the blue side be flipped? The window should be reversed, shouldn't it?

El Topo

Haha ok, so you agree. I figured white-blue control could use this as a finisher?

I think four counters might be too much, but it seems pretty damn promising at first glance. I think the problem is that it's pretty bad if you draw it late (since it requires some effort/time/cards to go off) and the 2CC slot is already filled by Jace.
Maybe a sideboard card against aggro decks or as a tool in decks that need to stall?

MjFrancis

We now have Ravenous Bloodsucker into Incorrigible Youths in addition to Heir of Falkenrath into Incorrigible Youths to swing for seven on T3 in Limited. Arguably worse but I appreciate more support for Madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom