• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing the BFZ 2-Headed Giant at GP Oakland with my girlfriend, and looking at the cards in BFZ, BR seems super good.

All the pinger/lifedrain effects like Nettle Drone and Kalastria Healer double up and Mind Raker gets a card out of each opponent.

I've never played sanctioned 2HG so stuff like one game matches and mulls to 7 are new to me.

noquarter

I hope you get a better pool than me and my wife had this past Friday, was horrible. No bombs, no way to ramp, a little removal and no way to really make anything. We both ended up playing mini agro decks that just don't work in 2HG.

Make sure to use your free mulligans, they really help and remember to talk. My wife said I didn't talk enough, though I wanted her to make decisions and see since I use it more for training for her.

CX2B6SeWQAARrDL.png

2UU Instant
Surge UU
~ can't be countered.
Counter target spell.

This seems pretty good, and it's specifically better against other control decks.

EDIT: Strictly better than Last Word.
Image.ashx

Ashodin

Wow I'm impressed, that spell is really good. Going straight into my Jace deck (and any blue EDH deck really)

Could be bangin' in Kiora ramp Standard too.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
...just seems like a bad counter spell to me *shrug*

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's Last Word with upside. So its decent.
Last Word wasn't good so I don't know why this would be.

Uncounterability isn't very likely to be relevant very often and saving one mana over Scatter isn't that great if you already have the mana to do something else that turn that's relevant.

Control decks right now aren't playing 12 counterspells to begin with and Scorn is dramatically superior. Even if you're not playing Dragons I don't know why you would pick this over Scorn or Clash of Wills. This seems like a one-of sideboard card, if that.

kirblar

...just seems like a bad counter spell to me *shrug*
It's not. It actually may be fringe Legacy playable- it's going to depend on how reliably you can get the surge off. Modern, I'm less sure about because free spells are played less often there.

This card is very reactive. The Last Word text doesn't actually help you much when trying to push through something, but its very good at protecting something or blowing up an opponent's attempt to force through a big spell.

Counterflux sees play.

At first glance I don't see it being more than a 1x in sideboards unless control just takes over the format. It does get stronger deeper into the game and its presence means I'm going to be extra nervous every time someone casts Anticipate or Dig in response to something. The art is fantastic as well.

Ashodin

SRuydxD.jpg

Embodiment of Insight(?)

Creature - Elemental 4G 4/4 Uncommon

Vigilance
Land creatures you control have vigilance.
Landfall— Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may have target land you control becomes a 3/3 Elemental creature with haste until end of turn It's still a land.

Embodiment cycle will give keywords to lands, and landfall get elementals until end of turn. Pretty solid.

DrArchon

Holy shit if you can curve Oath of Gideon into Gideon that'll be sick. Probably not realistic but when it happens... damn. Two tokens to protect Gideon when he ults and stays alive. Yes please!

New counterspell looks good too. Should be sick in control mirrors, but I could see it just being sideboard material (great sideboard material though).

Looking back on it, I think turning the Spawn into Scions and going from 0/1 to 1/1 was a mistake. It kills a lot of the more interesting designs and/or puts them into higher rarities since the tokens are worth more than just a temporary source of mana.

DrArchon

I could see Chandra's oath as "ETB deal damage, whenever you use a planeswalker ability deal damage".

Not creative, but neither is Chandra. If it deals enough damage it could be OK.

I could see Chandra's oath as "ETB deal damage, whenever you use a planeswalker ability deal damage".

Not creative, but neither is Chandra. If it deals enough damage it could be OK.

I was actually thinking it would be "ETB deal damage, whenever a creature you control leaves play you may deal X Damage to target Creature or player, where X is the number of planeswalkers you control. "

ultron87

Oath of Gideon lets quite a few Planeswalkers ultimate the turn after you play them. Elspeth Tirel can even blow up non-tokens the turn you play her. Should be fun for a Commander superfriends deck or something like that.

DrArchon

I don't think the effect is worth a card and its sorcery speed 3 mana Raise the Alarm.

Yeah, the more I look at it, the less I like it outside of the Oath -> Gideon play being completely bonkers, and just how many legendary Raise the Alarms are you gonna put into a deck just so you can hit that combo?

It'd be busted for sure, but I'd like it more if it reduced the loyalty costs of planeswalker abilities by 1 instead of giving 1 counter. At least then it would do more after you cast the planeswalker.

I can see 1 or 2 copies showing up in superfriends deck, but any deck that doesn't have a glut of tons of different planeswalkers will look the other way.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, the more I look at it, the less I like it outside of the Oath -> Gideon play being completely bonkers, and just how many legendary Raise the Alarms are you gonna put into a deck just so you can hit that combo?

It'd be busted for sure, but I'd like it more if it reduced the loyalty costs of planeswalker abilities by 1 instead of giving 1 counter. At least then it would do more after you cast the planeswalker.

I can see 1 or 2 copies showing up in superfriends deck, but any deck that doesn't have a glut of tons of different planeswalkers will look the other way.

Oath of GIdeon --> Sorin, Solemn Visitor is the nuts play. If it sees significant play its that interaction that will do it.

DrArchon

Oath of GIdeon --> Sorin, Solemn Visitor is the nuts play. If it sees significant play its that interaction that will do it.

Ooh, that's good too. Get that ult out next turn, I like it. I still like the Gideon combo because then you don't have to choose between Gideon the planeswalker and Gideon the Glorious Anthem.

Just noticed that the tokens it makes are Allies. Maybe that bumps up its usefulness a bit.

Angry Grimace

The problem is that Allies themselves don't appear to be particularly useful - I mean, Gideon gives birth to them and the type has never been relevant despite Gideon being the chase rare of BFZ.

y2dvd

I think BFZ's draft environment is pretty decent actually.
Same here. While we're on it, I've finally warmed up to green. Went 6-0 in the past 2 drafts playing Gx and it's pretty underrated. It doesn't get drafted so I get all the pickings. Call to Scions and Eternal Witness are great for chump blocking or ramping and ramping pays off. I just hope G gets a better fight card in Oaths.

Oaths of Gideon seems pretty playable.

ultron87

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191208974]Not my idea, but it's a combo kill with Brood Monitor and Zulaport Cutthroat.[/QUOTE]

When I first saw someone mention that I thought "but the Scions can't make <> mana to activate the ability" and then got perturbed again about the colorless symbol only being in the second set.

y2dvd

No. Far too much mana investment.

This is probably an intro pack rare.

Totally disagree. Abzan decks can get totally grindy. They can and will have a lot of mana floating around. The fact that you don't have to tap or it's not activate once per turn makes this bonkers. And in ramp decks, splashing white is easy. All that mana to keep blinking. Ulamog blinking wiping out everything will be the lulz. This card seems bonkers.

*add Oblivion Sower to the mix. Would be funny of you kept hitting at least 3 lands to repeat the process.

ultron87

Sadly the big Eldrazi all have on cast triggers so blinking them doesn't get you the trigger again.

Now if you Manifest them and then blink them. Then you've got something spicy. And clunky. But ya know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom