• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucario

Also, their "full art" border cover too much of the detail.

This is my least favorite thing about the expeditions. The art itself has been mostly great, but the border and semi-transparent text box are too gaudy.

0z0A1pn.jpg

It's like they stuck the borders of Ancient Mew onto less-transparent Game Day promos.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh hey titan bloom being dumb nonsense as usual.

I actually don't think Summer Bloom is getting banned. I think Amulet of Vigor is getting banned.

Ooccoo

Amulet is 100% banned this month. If you don't believe me, just watch the match that has ended now on SCG. Absolutely ridiculous and pretty sure it's the last time this deck will be in a tournament. Predicting Amulet of Vigor will get the axe.

Since Commander has been getting some discussion and/or hate lately...

Let's talk about our Commander decks. As a side note, I primarily play Duel Commander, a.k.a. 1 vs 1.

Who is your Commander? Describe your deck if you'd like.

My three Commanders are as follows:

Prossh, Skyraider of Kher

Image.ashx

This is basically a combo deck that abuses Prossh and his token making ability with his very large body. Ramp, protection and tutoring are the first few turns and then once set up, there are various ways to win but my favorite is Prossh swallowing people whole.

Oloro, Ageless Ascetic

Image.ashx

This is more of a control build but there are angles that abuse Oloro's life gain ability. A few combo pieces but it primarily is about controlling the situation and taxing the opponent. I am still getting a few cards to complete this deck.

Daretti, Scrap Savant

Image.ashx

This is obviously a deck that revolves around abusing Daretti and his token that lets you abuse artifacts. This deck is still under construction but it's going in a Stax direction that destroys the opponents lands. Get Daretti and his token out as early as possible and wreck the field.

kirblar

Amulet is 100% banned this month. If you don't believe me, just watch the match that has ended now on SCG. Absolutely ridiculous and pretty sure it's the last time this deck will be in a tournament. Predicting Amulet of Vigor will get the axe.
Bloom and SSG are the cards to hit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bloom and SSG are the cards to hit.

I think they will just hit Amulet. The deck is toxic even if you just make it less good by banning Summer Bloom.

The biggest problem is that it doesn't really matter if Bloom is broken in terms of tournament play. It's a toxic deck that puts way too much randomness into tournaments. Sometimes those decks get taken care of on their own - e.g. broken graveyard decks can be annoying, but something like the new (fair) B/x Eldrazi decks just hoses it on its own. But there aren't really a lot of decks that can do much of anything to interact with Bloom outside of Twin just comboing off or something. It's not interesting to play against and its really, really bad to put it on camera because it involves a lot of horseshit invisible triggers and searching up random shit.

Oloro is banned in 1v1. Or do you not use the superior French banlist?

It's so superior that there is talk to ban off-colors fetchlands in the next banlist update. I can't even.

I can barely play regular commander games these days, I sure love playing against Hermit druid/5c waste not decks that win turn 1-2. That and games with 4-5 players that take three goddamn hours (when they don't run the above).

I love the duel commander format but man the ruling commitee often comes up with the stupidiest things to ban.

Who is your Commander? Describe your deck if you'd like.

I run these three (French format) :

R492LU9

A variation of Jester's Imperial Animar decklist, focuses on early looping of free to cast Eldrazis.

9M4pvva

Goodstuff aggro deck.

eKaNEPo

Control tempo deck with an evasive beatstick. I might end up switching her out for Tasigur eventually.

Athreos, God of Passage
-30 Shadowborn acolytes, a bunch of demons, lots of graveyard recursion and sac outlets. The deck is slow to get going but incredibly resilient. Thrumming Stone!

Ezuri, Renegade Leader
-Standard, highly aggressive elf deck to lend out to new players. It is super deadly but boring and susceptible to board wipes.

Azusa, Lost but Seeking
-Nothing weird here really, ramping into huge beaters and abusing landfall. The ideal scenario is to lock everyone else down with Storm Cauldron and use Crucible of worlds to recur lands (especially Strip Mine)

Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
-Just a really shitty but heavily themed Spoopy Skeletons deck (I only include non-creature spells such as Read the Bones, Skullclamp, Bonehoard etc)

Brion Stoutarm
-Chuck big creatures like Phyrexian Dreadnought, Serra Avatar, Malignus. Games are often won by Voltroning Brion with swords and stuff. Mycosynth Lattice + Karn + Aladdin = give me whatever I want so I can throw it at your face.

Angus Mackenzie
-Still building this one. The dream is Angus + PoK + Bident of Thassa to tap down everyone's creatures as we go around the board. Its full of controlly creatures like Gwafa Hazid and creatures that provide excellent value from damaging an opponent like Daxos of Meletis and Augury Adept.

Meren of Clan Nel Toth
-This thing is packed with ETB and LTB value with sac outlets.

Down the road Im planning a Kozilek colorless deck and maybe a (bad) deck made up solely of oversized cards, with Sliver Queen commanding for the color identity. I will use giant dice too.

DrArchon

I've got 3 commander decks and ideas for tons more (but not the time or money)

Ghave, Guru of Spores
First commander deck I made. Standard tokens but done kinda on the cheap. Not that great and I rarely use it unless I bring a big bag of pennies to keep track of the tokens.

Animar, Soul of Elements
Second deck. Basically an excuse to use all of the stupid huge cards that I kept from years ago and weren't worth any money. Lots of dumb Timmy-friendly dragons, leviathans, elementals, etc.

Ghost Council of Orzhova
Created in response to a friend of mine making a Slivers EDH deck. Decided to find every Wrath of God style card that I could and threw it into here. Recursion effects means that I'm not hurt too much whenever I wipe the board, and I can keep my commander around for ages. Probably has the most money cards, like Damnation and a busted copy of SoF&I which I move over to Animar when I play that.

I still want to get around to making a Daretti, Scrap Savant deck and a Lord of Tresserhorn one, but not any time soon I'd imagine.

I was misinformed then. Strangely, the rumors popped up in DC disucussion threads.

Still sucks though, Commander is full of broken ass cards and you focus on fetchlands? What.
Fetchlands serve a genuine purpose in my Azusa deck to filter lands out of the deck.

For other I assume the point is to get a shuffle if you dont like what is on the bottom or the top of your deck. Do they want to ban them to prevent that or just to cut down very slightly on how much shuffling everyone has to sit through? You could only really impact the latter in a significant way by banning tutors.

Oooo commander talk! I'll post mine here when I get a chance. Got 9 made and 1 in development. My decks are powerful to a point and typically powered downed to my playgroup. Like combo wins a normally frowned upon in my group. And we even have a group of cards that we will verbally abuse the player if used(all in good fun tho)

Fetchlands serve a genuine purpose in my Azusa deck to filter lands out of the deck.

For other I assume the point is to get a shuffle if you dont like what is on the bottom or the top of your deck. Do they want to ban them to prevent that or just to cut down very slightly on how much shuffling everyone has to sit through? You could only really impact the latter in a significant way by banning tutors.

They don't want to ban fetchlands in general, they want to prevent you from using off-color fetchlands in your deck. That is to say, if you have a one-color commander, they don't want you to have any fetchlands at all, and if you run a red-black deck, they don't want you to use a red-green fetchland.

I don't think this will actually succeed in becoming a rule, though.

Oloro is banned in 1v1. Or do you not use the superior French banlist?

I primarily play 1 vs 1. ;)

Prossh is really my deck that's tuned for French. I can swap out Food Chain or Primeval Titan accordingly due to the various ban lists.

I believe that they don't like Oloro in French because he can just sit there in the Command Zone and gain life. He can be a non-interactive life gain enchantment.

Draxal

Welp, I also bought into the Eldrazi deck. Really wasn't going to, especially since I couldn't find my Eye of Ugins (had a few cause I wanted this to be deck after Rise so held onto them) but playing Wasteland Strangler for one did it. Funny, this is the first modern deck I've actually been excited to play.

I recently got a box of KMC Hyper Matters and don't think I'll ever get anything else. They are nice and smooth, a little bit bigger than Perfect Fits so good for double sleeving and play nice. Not having them stick or anything and not too slippery.

Heard good things about the Dragon Shields, but haven't tried them yet. If I find a pack cheap I'll probably try it just to try it, but really do like the KMC's.

The Dragon Shield mattes double-sleeve well and I actually prefer the texture of the back over KMC hyper mats. The problem is they are more slippery and have the usual Dragon Shield problem of being too long. At least not "Umm wtf are you doing this looks terrible no matter what"-long sleeves like in their original range.

The best shuffling sleeves you can get are KMC Hyper Mat Premiums. They are matte front and back. They aren't easy to find in the states yet but there is a good deal up on Massdrop right now. I don't use them because muh foils.

It annoys me that people use Ultra Pros. When I see their wrinkly tops and stupid fucking sleeve watermark, I just want to say "Spend the extra $2 fuckwit."

I always use Dragon Shield. They are respectable quality for the price as long as you don't mix packs. They have a nice variety of colors too. Only thing that I'm afraid off is playing against someone who has the same color and accidentaly swapping a card at the LGS, since they are popular after all. Ultra Pros are shitty quality but at least they are distinct from each other.

Also, I'm really disappointed by the expedition art of Cascade Bluffs. The original one is way better in my opinion. Looks more mysteriously with a hint of tropical rather than that Grand Canyon deserted look. Fire-Lit Thicket and Flooded Grove are so good though, easily my favorite Oat expeditions.

Thanks for the responses. I went with KMC Perfect with and some KMC Hyper Matte blues (didn't go premium cuz of the shinies as well). I always hated the too long feel of some sleeves, so that was the kicker.

Daedardus

About EDH, since it is a casual format, if you feel like one of your friends decks is unfair or annoying to play against, just talk to him about. The format is supposed to be wacky fun, not one where you only play for the win. And if they won't budge, just play against someone else, they'll tone down their decks quickly :p.

Before I lost my first collection of cards, I had a Doran EDH deck. It was fatty beatdown style deck with manaramp, some equipments and enchantments and enough access to removal to keep the board clean. It wasn't the strongest deck as it didn't have any crazy combos, but it was fun to play with and could hold its ground. Once I've graduated, I'm going to construct a new Doran deck.

Firemind

I was misinformed then. Strangely, the rumors popped up in DC disucussion threads.

Still sucks though, Commander is full of broken ass cards and you focus on fetchlands? What.
well it is pretty annoying to have to get 10+ different fetches in a three color green deck just because you're playing lotus cobra.

Why is Oloro banned in French 1v1?
because it's basically impossible to kill oloro before it grinds you out.

My Commanders (in Paper) are:

Prime Speaker Zegana (my bae)
Yes, this is just UG goodstuff. I don't care that it's unoriginal. I never get tired of tutoring up Prophet of Kruphix and going to town. I typically win by making infinite mana with Palinchron and Deadeye Navigator.

Melek, Izzet Paragon
I haven't tweaked this since M15; I need to change this and tweak it to be a Mizzix deck. This is UR dirty/janky combo with funky stuff like cheating out The Unspeakable or doing massive damage with a large Dragonstorm.

Grenzo, Dungeon Warden
This is a deck that aims to ramp into a quick, large Grenzo and accrue value for a couple of turns before going infinite.

Yes, all of my decks are combo decks, because combo is king in EDH. :)

Lucario

I've enjoyed this Kiki-Chord deck that has been on stream so much.

It's ridiculously fun. I played a ton of Kiki-Pod when it was legal, and it might be my favorite deck of all time.

This is effectively the same list without the pods. Glad to know it's still viable!

noquarter

I haven't updated my EDH decks in a few years, probably haven't played in just as long.

Sharuum the Hegemon. My first deck and is just random. I pretty much threw anything in there that I thought would be cool, so have stuff like Crucible and Strip Mine along with Deadeye and whatever and Mindslaver. Really only play this as a grindy deck, don't have any counters or anything, tutors to get answers though.

Ghave Guru of Spores. This is probably my favorite deck now. Just Doubling Season and the like along with token generators. Ghave is also painted as Lakitu along with some Spiny Sporlings. Still need to take Primeval Titan out since it has been banned.

Started on a Vampire deck with Olivia Voldaren as Commander but got upset when they made Sorin B/W instead of red. Really didn't want to use a commander based solely on color so didn't want to use the Vamp from Coldsnap.

Also got one of each of the original Commander decks sleeved with no changes made in case someone ever wants to play.

image7mkz5.jpg

My main Commander deck, I've spent a lot of time getting nice cards to fill out the BW Tokens strategy.

imagey1kei.png

My French EDH Commander. It plays Clique on turn 3 and attacks 7 times. That's about it. The average CMC is like 1.5 or some shit.

image2sjr9.jpg

My first Commander, using a signed artist's proof that I got from Peter Mohrbacher at an art show in San Francisco. It's mono-black Devotion, you play a ton of permanents and kill people without attacking. Definitely the most Commandery Commander deck I have. Lots of mana doublers and card drawing. I've been trying to pawn it off because I don't really play it anymore(with an actual Erebos instead of my proof), but I don't really know where to do that sort of thing.

ElyrionX

Derevi
Lockdown deck focusing on abusing Derevi's combat triggers. Denies your opponent resources until they scoop or dies to combat damage from a bunch of small creatures. Probably my strongest deck but very difficult to pilot and not one I play often as most people don't enjoy playing against it.

Animar
Combo control toolbox deck with a nice curve into Eldrazis. Has the usual Animar combo packages (Imperial Recruiter, Ancestral Statue) but I also add in stuff like Draing Whelk and Mystic Snake to make it a bit less focused on comboing off.

Melek
Counterburn deck with almost every red copy spell ever printed. Generates lots of mana via cards like Mana Geyser and Turnabout and uses that mana to cast big burn spells like Searing Wind and kicked Urza's Rage which are then copied via Fork-effects and/or Melek's triggers.

Mizzix
Storm deck. Can be very fast but I've put in quite a lot of high CMC spells which makes it particularly dependent on the commander to win. Winning turns tend to take quite a while to play out due to nature of storm which can annoy opponents.

Kaarthus
Probably my most casual deck. Ramp into big dragons and win via beatdown. Plays lots of black cards because this is my only deck with black in it and I jammed it full of good black cards like the tutors and Necropotence.

I play a lot of Commander and love brewing decks for it (Have a box with 13 decks in it, but I'm gonna pull apart a few of them soon).

My main commanders are:

Image.ashx

A clone heavy beefy creature deck with good ETBs and tons and tons of ramp.

Image.ashx

Giant robots and all the artifacts that go along with that.

Image.ashx

My obliterate everyone in a storm (no storm) of comboing nonsense draw deck I only pull out when someone at the table is being extraordinarily obnoxious.

Firemind

we all know the best vampire is baron sengir

if only they have the balls to turn sorin into a villain in shadows of innistrad... god knows the game could use villains who can get shit done

Santiako

I only have one (well, I have the 2015 precons, but I'm not counting those) since I've just come back to the game from a 10 year long hiatus.

Image.ashx

An Alesha deck that focuses on getting creatures that generate tokens back with Alesha to swarm the others or just some value creatures with good ETB. It also has Kiki-Resto and Anafenza-Redcap to just finish off the game if it went on for too long.

red13th

Since Man-o'-War seems not to be reprintable, I really wish they printed a 2/1 Man-o'-War for 2U.
I hate that Aether Adept has double U in her casting cost.

Ashodin

My current Commander decks (sorted by Tier, tiers are how well the deck is put together/degenerate)

Tier 1

23.jpg

White Knight equipment deck. Packs Knight cards (like my foil Fiendslayer Paladin), Hero of Bladehold for insane token generation, Blade of Selves + Sun Titan, and Odric makes the tokens get in.

217.jpg

Ramp/Landfall shenanigans. By turn 3, Omnath is out. Turn 4, Parallel Lives, Turn 5, C-c-c-c-c-chain Reaction!

250.jpg

Nath says fuck your hand, gimme elves.

Tier 2

60a.jpg

Clone your shit, take your shit with Bribery, then do it again with Jace's -3. Proliferate shenanigans will be put into this deck for more Loyalty counters

6.jpg

Not as good as it could be right now, lots of ramp into huge artifact/eldrazi, but I need wastes to REALLY superpower the deck. Once those release, I can put in the artifacts that search for basic lands and shit really will get cookin'.

Image.ashx

Gain life shenanigans.

145.jpg

Do you like card draw? Do you like emergency flash blockers? Do you like infinite hand size? Ephara is your dream commander. She's indestructible!

Tier 3 (needs work)

214.jpg

Ping things to death with Basilisk Collar. Go infinite with Scythe of the Wretched. BURN EVERYTHING TO THE GROUND

Messing around with the spoilers:

Rw Goblins

29 Creatures
4 Goblin Glorychaser
4 Dragon Fodder
4 Subterranean Scout
4 Goblin Piledriver
4 Relic Seeker
4 Reckless Bushwacker
4 Hordeling Outburst
1 Goblin Heelcutter

8 Spells
4 Center Soul
4 Exquisite Firecraft

2 Equipment
2 Stoneforge Masterwork

21 Land
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Needle Spires
4 Crumbling Vestige
1 Sea Gate Wreckage
10 Mountain

Sideboard
3 Goblin Darkdwellers
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
4 Arc Lightning
4 Scab-Clan Berserker

• Center Soul and Sub Scout push through the Relic Seekers, Glorychasers, Piledrivers and pre-equipped goblins
  • Rebound on Center Soul makes Reckless Bushwacker the nutters nutters
  • Manlands and Sea Gate Wreckage for some extra maindeck reach
  • Might be too short on 1CMC spells, could leave as is and play some number of RW gainlands

Lucario

My only EDH deck is Animar Wizards.

Image.ashx

It started as a semi-cutthroat combo deck, then I realized a large percentage of the creatures were Wizards and went for the tribal route instead.

I have a bunch of Commander decks, but my current favorites are..

Image.ashx

Basically functions like a Burn list by going for as many Purp triggers as possible. The deck is surprisingly resiliant since Purp himself is an indestructible enchantment and you don't really care so much about your tokens after they hit. It's my strongest deck.

Image.ashx

While I know Zur is supposed to be the better Enchantment general and Uril is the better Voltron, I really enjoy bringing down Bruna, and surprising the table with her trigger (which happens on blocking as well as attacking) and then suddenly having a flying, hexproof, vigilant, lifelink, infect 21/21. Favorite card: Flickerform. Makes her nigh-impossible to beat.

Image.ashx

A goofy 5-color "funstuff" deck. I have weird things like Maelstrom Nexus, Nephilims, and Door to Nothingness.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
My current Commander decks (sorted by Tier, tiers are how well the deck is put together/degenerate)

217.jpg

Ramp/Landfall shenanigans. By turn 3, Omnath is out. Turn 4, Parallel Lives, Turn 5, C-c-c-c-c-chain Reaction!

How are you reliably getting Omnath out turn 3? I've been building up my own Omnath deck, but I find most games he's not out until turn 5 or 6.

Any word on what the Prerelease promo is going to be?

Looking forward to getting back into the swing of things, but man I never learned a lot when I used to play. I only did drafts and sealed events, never got into Commander, EDH, etc.

Ashodin

ramp ramp ramp ramp ramp. Sol Ring, Harrow, etc. Exploration, Burgeoning, etc. Just get nuts.

Prerelease Promos now are a random rare from the set (mythic or otherwise), so it's just what you open from the box!

ramp ramp ramp ramp ramp. Sol Ring, Harrow, etc. Exploration, Burgeoning, etc. Just get nuts.

Prerelease Promos now are a random rare from the set (mythic or otherwise), so it's just what you open from the box!

Open from the box? Sorry if I am out of the loop, the last prerelease I went to was Mirrodin Besieged where we got 3 packs, then had either 3 more Mirrodin or Phyrexia packs based on which side we picked (and we got the corresponding promo, so I recieved Glissa for choosing Phyrexia).

Is it not 6 packs and make a deck anymore?

Ashodin

It's 6 packs, all from the same set (at prereleases of base sets) or 4/2 (4 from OGW, 2 from BFZ) to supplement your cards with synergy from the base set.

The prerelease card is a random rare like I said now, instead of "pick a color or side and get stuff based on that".

Funnily enough, I played prereleases mainly when this was a thing, so the "pick a color or side and get stuff based on that" was totally new to me and I've missed the entire thing!

It's 6 packs, all from the same set (at prereleases of base sets) or 4/2 (4 from OGW, 2 from BFZ) to supplement your cards with synergy from the base set.

The prerelease card is a random rare like I said now, instead of "pick a color or side and get stuff based on that".

Funnily enough, I played prereleases mainly when this was a thing, so the "pick a color or side and get stuff based on that" was totally new to me and I've missed the entire thing!

Okay I got it now, thanks man!

Hoping OGW is a bit more exciting than BFZ, it was kind of wonky when I drafted it. I was able to get out a few 7+ mana Eldrazis out pretty much every game I played and I only drafted them for the lulz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom