• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

This is probably an intro pack rare.

The Intro Pack rares were among the first cards spoiled when spoilers started. I think you're really understating how well it plays with a lot of things. Reprocess with your Wasteland Strangler, kill a Hangarback Walker, ETB effects, or just protect important pieces from removal. It's hardly as unplayable as you're making it out to be.

Sadly the Eldrazi all have on cast triggers so blinking them doesn't get you the trigger again.

A good number of them have ETB effects like Wasteland Strangler, Ulamog's Nullifier, Brood Monitor, Murk Strider, etc. I don't know that those last two are actually playable in constructed but they're examples of ETB effects on the BFZ eldrazi.

y2dvd

Sadly the big Eldrazi all have on cast triggers so blinking them doesn't get you the trigger again.

Now if you Manifest them and then blink them. Then you've got something spicy. And clunky. But ya know.

Ahhhhh that's true. :(
Blinking Dragonlord Atarka it is.

ultron87

A good number of them have ETB effects like Wasteland Strangler, Ulamog's Nullifier, Brood Monitor, Murk Strider, etc. I don't know that those last two are actually playable in constructed but they're examples of ETB effects on the BFZ eldrazi.

Right, that's why I edited to say the "big" ones. You caught me. :p Your Ulamogs and whatnot don't but the drones and processors do work.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Totally disagree. Abzan decks can get totally grindy. They can and will have a lot of mana floating around. The fact that you don't have to tap or it's not activate once per turn makes this bonkers. And in ramp decks, splashing white is easy. All that mana to keep blinking. Ulamog blinking wiping out everything will be the lulz. This card seems bonkers.

*add Oblivion Sower to the mix. Would be funny of you kept hitting at least 3 lands to repeat the process.

(Ulamog and Oblivion Sower are cast triggers)

DrArchon

Displacer looks like a monster in limited and nice tool for EDH, but I'll agree with people saying that it won't have much of an impact on constructed. Games will have to get really grindy for it to shine. You need at least 6 mana to get great value out of it (either to use it when it comes into play or to use it and protect itself). Compare that to something like Cloudshit costing 1 and not being as telegraphed.

Matriox

Brood Monitor and Eldrazi Displacer is infinite bounces, just need an alter of the Brood or Zulaport Cutthroat to win the game :)

Other spoilers:
en_KnTCmtZ98Y.png

This was leaked before, and everyone agrees that it will see a lot of play, including in Modern Tron decks.

Lands, which were specifically named such that they can be reprinted in any set:
en_qVHYv5Tld8.png
en_96wttyi0pF.png
en_RrRxlETT2p.png
en_lyw4TTmS6R.png
en_LFxNpubB9V.png

I'm assuming they made these instead of using the Khans dual lands because they don't always want to create a grindy environment where everyone is gaining incremental life.

Articles:
Making Magic - A Solemn Oath, Part 2 - Some interesting stuff in this article:
* They decided to make surge a cost reduction mechanic instead of an effect booster so that you could use it more easily in one-on-one.
* Support originally not just added +1/+1 counters to creatures, but also loyalty counters to planeswalkers. The removal of that last part was a very late change, due to them being worried on its effect on Constructed.
* In the past, they were against small/small/large drafts because they didn't think it would work out, but with all the other shake-ups, they decided now was the right time to investigate this under the assumption that it could work, and they came up with the solutions covered before (more cards, less cycles at common, etc.).
* Surge and support were made in design, but design's new Ally mechanic triggered off of an Ally dealing combat damage. Development decided that the gameplay was too similar to what Ally decks already do, and came up with the cohort mechanic based on the Onslaught cards where you tap two of a creature type for an effect.
Image.ashx

* They realized that the above wording caused a lot of confusion over whether you could tap the creature on the turn it came out (you can), so they changed it to the current wording, where it's a tap ability, and thus is affected by summoning sickness.
* MaRo came up with the "Oath of ___" cards based off of the Justice League. They were specifically designed so that they could print a new one with the same format whenever a character joined the Gatewatch. MaRo's wording definitely implies that they are expecting other characters to join the team. Also confirmed that Ob Nixilis is not getting an Oath in this set.

Reconstructed - Kozilek's Return - Goes over the card in question.

You Can't Always Go Hame - Goes over the uncommon dual lands.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Lands specifically named so they can be in every set which are inexplicably worse than the common lands in the last set which were vaguely named to be in every set

kirblar

Liliana Oath obv coming up in Innistrad.

Grimace of course ignorining that not every set wants lifegain lands in limited.

Lands specifically named so they can be in every set which are inexplicably worse than the common lands in the last set which were vaguely named to be in every set
I'm assuming they made these instead of using the Khans dual lands because they don't always want to create a grindy environment where everyone is gaining incremental life.

Crocodile

I'm guessing they don't want lands that gain you life in every limited format. That being said, these new lands are unexciting as fuck and I don't really want them taking up precious uncommon slots. They pretty much have no use outside limited unlike most fixing cycles.

DrArchon

Do they really not have allied colored "comes into play tapped" lands with generic names without any other abilities? Did they really need to make another set of them? I mean, I'm not complaining because at least I can have redundancy for budget EDH decks, but still.

Also Oath cards based off of the Justice League. Yeah, no shit. The moment I heard about the Gatewatch I said to myself "Wow, now Magic has ACTUAL superfriends".

Angry Grimace

I'm guessing they don't want lands that gain you life in every limited format. That being said, these new lands are unexciting as fuck and I don't really want them taking up precious uncommon slots. They pretty much have no use outside limited unlike most fixing cycles.

I mean, there's an argument that you don't want the incremental upside of the refuges, but adding in bog-standard taplands seems kind of weird at uncommon. Multicolor sets get fixing at common, not sure why we can't just stick with Evolving Wilds to fix in non-multicolor sets so its not taking up 5 uncommon slots.

Do they really not have allied colored "comes into play tapped" lands with generic names without any other abilities? Did they really need to make another set of them? I mean, I'm not complaining because at least I can have redundancy for budget EDH decks, but still.

Also Oath cards based off of the Justice League. Yeah, no shit. The moment I heard about the Gatewatch I said to myself "Wow, now Magic has ACTUAL superfriends".

Nope, they only had Urborg Volcano and such that had Dominaria-specific names.

Liliana Oath obv coming up in Innistrad.

Grimace of course ignorining that not every set wants lifegain lands in limited.

Posting AT someone as opposed to simply to them is pretty passive-aggressive

Not really, no. Just the Guildgates from Ravnica and cards like these:
Image.ashx

DrArchon

Wow, didn't realize that these were the first. Can't believe it took them so long. Guess they were just fine with printing new versions to fit with the sets they were in.

Kinda wish these weren't uncommon though. Fixing is nice, but I liked it in Khans were I could have the choice between a nice uncommon and fixing.

Angry Grimace

Also officially spoiled, although everyone's already seen them both:

kZ10c6J.png
JGWBPn5.png

DrArchon

Kalitas is new to me, and I'm already thinking of EDH decks with him at the helm. Fucks up recursion, might be a decent Voltron if you can find a way to keep him alive, plenty of great zombies in old sets to use, etc.

Wish he came with a way to keep him alive, like "sac a dude: regenerate" or some other Aristocrats style thing. Might be too pushed then though.

Angry Grimace

Kalitas is new to me, and I'm already thinking of EDH decks with him at the helm. Fucks up recursion, might be a decent Voltron if you can find a way to keep him alive, plenty of great zombies in old sets to use, etc.

Wish he came with a way to keep him alive, like "sac a dude: regenerate" or some other Aristocrats style thing. Might be too pushed then though.

He's already reasonably pushed and hopefully even more pushed when we head back for Vampire and Zombie world aka Innistrad.

DrArchon

He's already reasonably pushed and hopefully even more pushed when we head back for Vampire and Zombie world aka Innistrad.

Forgot about going back to Innistrad next set. Yeah, that makes him way better. I was worried that there weren't enough zombies and vampires to make his activated ability useful. But if we get some zombies and vampires that are half as good as some of the ones in the first Innistrad block, then yeah he'll be fine.

SRuydxD.jpg

Embodiment of Insight(?)

Creature - Elemental 4G 4/4 Uncommon

Vigilance
Land creatures you control have vigilance.
Landfall— Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may have target land you control becomes a 3/3 Elemental creature with haste until end of turn It's still a land.

Embodiment cycle will give keywords to lands, and landfall get elementals until end of turn. Pretty solid.

I forgot to comment on this. This seems really good, and the vigilance means you can still tap the land for mana after attacking. Or, potentially, you could attack with a fetchland and sacrifice it if it would be destroyed.

EDIT: Also,
uVcdchJ.png
+
Image.ashx

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
* Surge and support were made in design, but design's new Ally mechanic triggered off of an Ally dealing combat damage. Development decided that the gameplay was too similar to what Ally decks already do, and came up with the cohort mechanic based on the Onslaught cards where you tap two of a creature type for an effect.
Image.ashx

* They realized that the above wording caused a lot of confusion over whether you could tap the creature on the turn it came out (you can), so they changed it to the current wording, where it's a tap ability, and thus is affected by summoning sickness.

I don't want to come off as someone who just complains about everything, but I honestly just don't understand where Maro is coming from these days for his design decisions. Allies triggering off of Ally combat damage is too similar to what they already do? Isn't that what the tribe needs is more support for what it's best at, not some incredibly weak new ability that still fails to diversify the tribe in any meaningful way?

I'm also confused how they thought changing the Onslaught phrasing would make it easier to understand. Instead of both creatures getting to tap regardless of summoning sickness, now only one will. How does that make it easier to digest? It's exactly the same level of complexity if not more.

Angry Grimace

I don't want to come off as someone who just complains about everything, but I honestly just don't understand where Maro is coming from these days for his design decisions. Allies triggering off of Ally combat damage is too similar to what they already do? Isn't that what the tribe needs is more support for what it's best at, not some incredibly weak new ability that still fails to diversify the tribe in any meaningful way?

I'm also confused how they thought changing the Onslaught phrasing would make it easier to understand. Instead of both creatures getting to tap regardless of summoning sickness, now only one will. How does that make it easier to digest? It's exactly the same level of complexity if not more.

Maro is the head of Design, not Development, and he he specifically says that Design made it do what you want it to do, and Development made it do the thing you don't like.

Yeef

I don't want to come off as someone who just complains about everything, but I honestly just don't understand where Maro is coming from these days for his design decisions.
Rosewater is a designer, not a developer. The change was made in development.

What ever happened with that Level 3 judge who decided to shut down the big judge hub website in protest of the spoiler-related bannings?

Jhriad

Since we've been discussing MTG Finance recently I thought I'd just give everyone a head's up on Spellskite. Its increased almost 14% since the beginning of December despite that being the slowest growth period of the year for most cards. If you're going to need copies for Modern season and you want to be able to find copies in the low 20s you might want to pick them up soon. It's a pretty obvious pickup prior to Modern season but with supply starting to look constrained on TCGPlayer, despite the lull period, I figured I'd remind everyone that needed any.

* MaRo came up with the "Oath of ___" cards based off of the Justice League. They were specifically designed so that they could print a new one with the same format whenever a character joined the Gatewatch. MaRo's wording definitely implies that they are expecting other characters to join the team. Also confirmed that Ob Nixilis is not getting an Oath in this set.

Still gross. Also, I'd much prefer something like "Jace's Oath" or "Beleren's Oath," not "Oath of Jace." The latter just sounds off to my ear for some reason.

Displacer + Priest of the Blood Rite seems okayish. 5/5 Flier every turn isn't terrible.

Angry Grimace

Flickerdrazi guy also lets you flicker Manifested creatures and even non-creatures into play face-up, too, I think.

Wulfric

Yippie, the white Oath isn't lifegain! Although another Raise the Alarm isn't exactly something to write home about, it's at least on par with Nissa and Jace.

As a reminder, Relic of Progenitus is at a TCGMid of $5.30 now. For a common with multiple printings in supplemental sets, that's kind of a lot. At this point I consider Jhriad and kirblar finance wizards. Thanks for the tip guys!

OK, think of me as if I'm serious got asking this question, with the new colorless mana, can you still use any means to pay for it (aesthetic only) or do you specifically need to have the colorless mana lands to play cards with that symbol?

kirblar

OK, think of me as if I'm serious got asking this question, with the new colorless mana, can you still use any means to pay for it (aesthetic only) or do you specifically need to have the colorless mana lands to play cards with that symbol?
Aesthetic only, it's just a templating change going forward. Wastes reads t: add (1) to your pool under the old system.

Aesthetic only, it's just a templating change going forward. Wastes reads t: add (1) to your pool under the old system.

Whoa there. I didn't read his question like that.

If a card has <> in the cost (either the upper-right corner of the card, or in an ability before the ":" symbol), you must use specifically colorless mana to pay that part of cost. So for that Eldrazi Displacer, you must pay one colorless mana and two mana of any color (or colorless) to activate the ability.

Nikodemos

You specifically need colourless mana. A Forest isn't a legal mana source for <> mana, but a Darksteel Citadel is.

Numbered colourless mana is still payable from any source, though.

Angry Grimace

&#9830; = must be colorless mana
(#) or (x) = any mana ("generic mana cost")

If a card asks you to pay &#9830;, the &#9830; has to be paid with colorless mana (which is itself now &#9830;). If a card has a number in a circle or an X in a circle, it can be paid with mana of any type. The numbers in circles should going forward only appear as a cost which can be paid with any kind of mana.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Maro is the head of Design, not Development, and he he specifically says that Design made it do what you want it to do, and Development made it do the thing you don't like.

Yeah, you're right. I should have read that more closely. I guess I'll just continue my years-long hate for the Magic development team and the trepidation with which they approach developing this game.

Firemind

Since we've already seen one 1cmc Oath, maybe Chandra's will be a sorcery speed Lightning Bolt. :eek:
Oath of Chandra R
When Oath of Chandra enters the battlefield, target creature can't block this turn.

Whenever a planeswalker enters the battlefield under your control, you may deal 1 damage to target creature or player.

Just read some of the changes that are being made to the Legacy Cube for later in the month. I'm actually seeing red - some pure nonsense is being spouted here. Like WOTC is living in an alternate dimension or something SMH
Chrome Mox and Mox Diamond accelerate you to two mana on turn one and three mana on turn two for free. This is an even better rate than Birds of Paradise and Llanowar Elves!
LOOOOOOOOOL for free, do you even read?

RIP Vedalken Shackles

Angry Grimace

Oath of Chandra R
When Oath of Chandra enters the battlefield, target creature can't block this turn.

Whenever a planeswalker enters the battlefield under your control, you may deal 1 damage to target creature or player.

LOOOOOOOOOL for free, do you even cube?

RIP Vedalken Shackles

That card would be comically bad, no?

Lucario

There's a B/U version of the modern Eye of Ugin/Eldrazi Temple deck starting to show up online.

Image.ashx

It uses Delay as a 1U Counterspell that gives you more processor food. Probably worth picking up a playset if you're looking at alternate versions of the deck. Price ceiling is pretty high on a Future Sight uncommon that has never and likely will never be reprinted.

edit: Nvm, posted too late. Sold out on SCG and ChannelFireball, every store with a playset or more on TCGPlayer has been bought out. It's definitely not the best version of the deck (you want to be using your mana on your own turn), but Delay is very interesting tech.

OnPoint

Oath of Chandra R

I would not be surprised. At all.

ultron87

I think my MTG project for the start of the year might be assembling a cube. Probably starting mostly with proxies but if it is successful with my group will try and replace real stuff in as time goes on.

Is there a good place to see some typical successful standard cube lists to start compiling my own list from?

OnPoint

There's a B/U version of the modern Eye of Ugin/Eldrazi Temple deck starting to show up online.

Image.ashx

It uses Delay as a 1U Counterspell that gives you more processor food. Probably worth picking up a playset if you're looking at alternate versions of the deck. Price ceiling is pretty high on a Future Sight uncommon that has never and likely will never be reprinted.

edit: Nvm, posted too late. Sold out on SCG and ChannelFireball, every store with a playset or more on TCGPlayer has been bought out. It's definitely not the best version of the deck (you want to be using your mana on your own turn), but Delay is very interesting tech.

Snapped up some cheapies on eBay. Good looks on the heads up.

bigkrev

Image.ashx

You want French versions of this card, anyway

Lucario

I think my MTG project for the start of the year might be assembling a cube. Probably starting mostly with proxies but if it is successful with my group will try and replace real stuff in as time goes on.

Is there a good place to see some typical successful standard cube lists to start compiling my own list from?

http://www.cubetutor.com has a lot of great lists and resources for building your own cube. You might want to start with one of the MTGO cubes if your playgroup is already familiar with them, though.

You want French versions of this card, anyway

....Rude.

Delay is a pet card of mine; I had it in my commons/uncommons cube for a while because I love it so much. The idea that it's now Modern playable has me giggling with glee.

I'm also mad at myself for not seeing the interaction with processors sooner.

Snapped up two foils and four regular copies. With a little luck, if it balloons then I'll be able to cash out of the foils and end up with 4 freebies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom