• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

They could have solved this by making the aggro decks more resilient instead of faster. Nobody to blame but themselves I feel.
They did that too- lots of anti-wrath stuff that made it hard to remove the dorks from the table. It was just a mess.

Sam confirmed on Twitter Damnation was penciled in for M15 and cut.

OnPoint

Does this mean Damnation is more or less confirmed for MM2017 at the earliest at this point? Since I don't think we'll see another 4CMC wrath any time soon.

damnation reprint when

I've decided to just try and get the Judge Promo Damnation. The regular version is so expensive, I may as well just spend more and get the nicer print of it.

I also assume that the judge promo would hold more value once the inevitable reprint does come along.

I see Damnation taking a big hit if the reprint is available in any number that meets demand. Which MM rarely does, but who knows.

Crucible of Worlds, that's another I think that I will try and get the judge promo.

Would this card be broken, or super broken?

Land
(t) Add C to your mana pool.
(t), Sacrifice ~: Mana in your mana pool becomes colorless and does not drain from your mana pool until the beginning of the next end step.

I think that's formatted right. Basically, you add whatever mana to your mana pool, then tap and sac this. All that mana becomes colorless and sticks around til the next end step. Basically supercharging a turn just once.

Everything is getting dumbed down in MTG, especially complexity and removal. .

Right now in Standard we have fetchlands and fetchable duals, exiling our graveyard to lower the cost of spells, moving exiled cards from under Oblivion Rings into graveyards, a year of Magic that has had multiple combo decks winning tournaments(Rally and Jeskai Ascendancy), high-power removal spells like Kolaghan's Command breaking into Modern and draw spells that got instantly RESTRICTED IN VINTAGE.

So I'll go ahead and disagree that Magic is getting dumbed down. I mean, we just had a 3-color set that created the best Standard format in history followed by a core set that had the best planeswalker printed since Liliana of the Veil.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191060021]Right now in Standard we have fetchlands and fetchable duals, exiling our graveyard to lower the cost of spells, moving exiled cards from under Oblivion Rings into graveyards, a year of Magic that has had multiple combo decks winning tournaments(Rally and Jeskai Ascendancy), high-power removal spells like Kolaghan's Command breaking into Modern and draw spells that got instantly RESTRICTED IN VINTAGE.

So I'll go ahead and disagree that Magic is getting dumbed down. I mean, we just had a 3-color set that created the best Standard format in history followed by a core set that had the best planeswalker printed since Liliana of the Veil.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that in the last three years we've had bestow, manifest, and devoid, which are agreed to be some of the most complex mechanics they've done in ages. People complaining about too much complexity had been much more common than the reverse recently.

Ashodin

Not to mention that in the last three years we've had bestow, manifest, and devoid, which are agreed to be some of the most complex mechanics they've done in ages. People complaining about too much complexity had been much more common than the reverse recently.

hehe

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191060021]Right now in Standard we have fetchlands and fetchable duals, exiling our graveyard to lower the cost of spells, moving exiled cards from under Oblivion Rings into graveyards, a year of Magic that has had multiple combo decks winning tournaments(Rally and Jeskai Ascendancy), high-power removal spells like Kolaghan's Command breaking into Modern and draw spells that got instantly RESTRICTED IN VINTAGE.

So I'll go ahead and disagree that Magic is getting dumbed down. I mean, we just had a 3-color set that created the best Standard format in history followed by a core set that had the best planeswalker printed since Liliana of the Veil.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I think people equate power level with complexity. Just because we don't have counterspell or bolt doesn't mean the game is dumbed down.

While while draft portion of 3xBFZ is a bit simple and on rails, the actual games play really fun for me. It's the most fun I've had playing draft in awhile.

While while draft portion of 3xBFZ is a bit simple and on rails, the actual games play really fun for me. It's the most fun I've had playing draft in awhile.

BFZ isn't a miserable format like AVR or anything. The big issues with it are major color imbalance (significantly worse than most recent environments) and the weird interdependence of all the draft themes -- you're always trying to look at two or three kind of enablers for the stuff in your deck and if you get shorted on some you're up shit creek.

red13th

gC9D7wd.jpg

I thought this promo Jace Beleren was foil, but it isn't! :eek:
I'm gonna buy one for my cube now, it's so expensive though!

Yeef

Disagree heavily about 4CMC wraths being too OP. 5 CMC is more or less unplayable without some additional effect. 4CMC is the perfect answer to metas that are too front end heavy on aggro. Supreme Verdict wasn't even remotely a problem card. It's another one of their self-declared answers to questions nobody asked like getting rid of 1CMC mana dorks. LLanowar Elves is not OP. BoP is not OP. Wrath of God is not OP. Having good cards doesn't make for a stale format.
From what I recall of the article where they said "no more 4 cmc wraths" was basically that they'd stick to 3 cmc conditional wraths and 5+ cmc wraths with upside because it makes deckbuilding more interesting. I think I agree on that point. As much as I'd love a Damnation reprint, choosing between Crux of Fate, Languish and Skinning Tendrils is a lot more interesting for building than just defaulting to Damnation.

BFZ isn't a miserable format like AVR or anything. The big issues with it are major color imbalance (significantly worse than most recent environments) and the weird interdependence of all the draft themes -- you're always trying to look at two or three kind of enablers for the stuff in your deck and if you get shorted on some you're up shit creek.
Yeah, like I said, the drafting in BFZ was a bit disappointing. The games themselves have been super interesting for me and with lots more complex choices than other recent sets

Yeah, like I said, the drafting in BFZ was a bit disappointing. The games themselves have been super interesting for me and with lots more complex choices than other recent sets

Yeah the games can actually play out in interesting ways. They should just make a simplified draft where on each table you just put two decks of blue/red devoid, two of blue/white skies, two of blue/black control, and two of black/red aggro and then players pick than in seed order.

Ashodin

Just watched that Mono Black Eldrazi matchup again. Goddamn it feels so good to watch him just rip lands off the top of the deck, watch Jaces and shit get removed and then next turn ANOTHER Sower drops on the table.

Fucking Sower is a goddamn crazy creature when you think about it. It gets you lands, is 6 to cast (4 with Eye), has a HUGE butt at 5/8... It has it all

http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/v/33172752?t=04h24m02s

Here's the match if you want to watch the brutal beatdown

Draxal

What's everybody using for their sleeves atm?

I've heard to go with either kmc hyper mattes (premium) or dragon shields matte.

Urborg is so good in that deck. Making the lands from Sower always playable, making Eye of Ugin produce three mana, plus the usual color fixing...it's just bonkers.

OnPoint

Not so much, it's just that the general shell of cards you should get a hold of ASAP is

Oblivion Sower x4
Blight Herder x4
Wasteland Strangler x4
Eye of Ugin x3 (though you might only run 2)
Eldrazi Temple x4
Relic of Progenitus x4
Scrabbling Claws x4

Relic, Claws, Sower, Temple, and Eye are the ones which are really time sensitive.

You don't think Bojuka Bog might be a target in this?

*opens r/magicTCG for some reason*

"There's no way Emrakul is on Innistrad, it is IMPOSSIBLE to meld Lovecraftian cosmic horror with Gothic horror!"

*closes*

noquarter

Welp, I also bought into the Eldrazi deck. Really wasn't going to, especially since I couldn't find my Eye of Ugins (had a few cause I wanted this to be deck after Rise so held onto them) but playing Wasteland Strangler for one did it. Funny, this is the first modern deck I've actually been excited to play.
What's everybody using for their sleeves atm?

I've heard to go with either kmc hyper mattes (premium) or dragon shields matte.

I recently got a box of KMC Hyper Matters and don't think I'll ever get anything else. They are nice and smooth, a little bit bigger than Perfect Fits so good for double sleeving and play nice. Not having them stick or anything and not too slippery.

Heard good things about the Dragon Shields, but haven't tried them yet. If I find a pack cheap I'll probably try it just to try it, but really do like the KMC's.

kirblar

Reddit has made me realize that I can easily get on Survivor (once I get in shape.) I just have to turn off my filter during auditions.

The Dragon Shield mattes double-sleeve well and I actually prefer the texture of the back over KMC hyper mats. The problem is they are more slippery and have the usual Dragon Shield problem of being too long. At least not "Umm wtf are you doing this looks terrible no matter what"-long sleeves like in their original range.

The best shuffling sleeves you can get are KMC Hyper Mat Premiums. They are matte front and back. They aren't easy to find in the states yet but there is a good deal up on Massdrop right now. I don't use them because muh foils.

It annoys me that people use Ultra Pros. When I see their wrinkly tops and stupid fucking sleeve watermark, I just want to say "Spend the extra $2 fuckwit."

Daedardus

I always use Dragon Shield. They are respectable quality for the price as long as you don't mix packs. They have a nice variety of colors too. Only thing that I'm afraid off is playing against someone who has the same color and accidentaly swapping a card at the LGS, since they are popular after all. Ultra Pros are shitty quality but at least they are distinct from each other.

Also, I'm really disappointed by the expedition art of Cascade Bluffs. The original one is way better in my opinion. Looks more mysteriously with a hint of tropical rather than that Grand Canyon deserted look. Fire-Lit Thicket and Flooded Grove are so good though, easily my favorite Oat expeditions.

red13th

It's a modern staple now? Cool. It has always been a cube staple. I wish they had a non-foil version of the starter deck art.

quin

What are some good cards against an Arcum Dagsson EDH deck if one is playing red, green, or white? Especially if your opponent has Darksteel Forge, stuffy doll, or any of those other stupid artifacts?

What are good artifact hate cards😅

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191101772]Wat[/QUOTE]
pBUw2rB.jpg

03_-_Bloodstained_Mire.jpg
10_-_Marsh_Flats.jpg
16_-_Scalding_Tarn.jpg
22_-_Verdant_Catacombs.jpg
25_-_Wooded_Foothills.jpg
02_-_Blood_Crypt.jpg

ultron87

What are some good cards against an Arcum Dagsson EDH deck if one is playing red, green, or white? Especially if your opponent has Darksteel Forge, stuffy doll, or any of those other stupid artifacts?

What are good artifact hate cards😅
White has a bunch. They're kind of expensive though, because they're good in Constructed also. You've got stuff like Stony Silence to turn off artifacts with abilities, or Kataki, War's Wage to make keeping them all very expensive. You can also attack Arcum's abilities directly by playing Pithing Needle naming him, or playing stuff that hinders library searching like Leonin Arbiter or Aven Mindcensor.

Green and Red have a ton of effects that destroy artifacts but Darksteel Forge counters those pretty handily. So you'll want stuff that exiles or sacrifices artifacts instead, which there aren't as many of or at least aren't as many I know off the top of my head/from searching Gatherer. There's something like Wave of Vitriol, but that's a wider solution to a specific problem. There are targeted stuff to exile single problematic artifacts like Fade into Antiquity or Revoke Existence. Dust to Dust hits two. Then if they don't have a Forge you can fire up a Fracturing Gust or Creeping Corrosion.

Wulfric

The expedition artwork isn't bad, it's just less literal than most players are accustomed to. For example, the Bloodstained Mire looks a little like those closeups of blood vessels/arteries. Or you can read it as a dark red jungle with branches reaching everywhere.

Just because Temple Garden and Godless Shrine don't actually contain their namesake doesn't necessarily make it poor art. I think the textbox obscuring nearly half of the composition is another part of the problem.

Large Hedron Collider
8 - Legendary Artifact

8, T - Shuffle your library, then flip 5 coins and scry X, where X is the number of times you won the flip. You may place one permanent scryed with Large Hedron Collider onto the battlefield instead of on the top or bottom of your library.

If you lose all five flips, exile all permanents, graveyards, hands, and libraries and the game ends in a draw.

It's quantum artificing, literally anything could happen.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm not saying they're ALL bad, there's just a lot of them that look super samey.

I really like that Eldrazi deck because it's a fair deck that hoses the fuck out of GY decks for no real reason muahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom