• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't understand the new artstyle where everything looks like PS1 FMVs.

Stormchaser Mage got to be constructed playable right?

It's Flying Monastery Swiftspear, but UR has been a surprisingly bad combination for that kind of aggressive card even though you'd imagine it would be good.

So Red White seems to be bring pushed towards equipment based on that uncommon. Not quite sure how I feel on that despite me enjoying that in Red White. It just seems way too reliant on drafting the equipment. Granted, there could be a bunch at common(and we're not done the spoilers yet) but considering the overall shittiness of equipment in Limited I'm not getting my hopes up. Unless they decide to push equipment in this set hard, I'm not seeing why it exists.

Edit: And I can't read. It's one equipment, but even in Limited I can't see why you'd pick him until really late in the draft.

What, you don't like that +1/+0 equipment for 1/equip 1 ? Hah

edit : I agree, getting that dude + an equipment on top of making a reliable deck in draft isn't.. well reliable
and yeah bone saw is poop

Bonesaw at Common isn't awful, I guess, but it's still a far cry from ideal. In an 8 man Pod you're betting that of 16 packs you'll be able to get Bonesaw, This guy, etc, without having to sacrifice anything. I don't know about most people, but I'm not going to pick 1-7/8 something that's mediocre on its own and requires other cards to work.

I do think they'll push equipment though, as otherwise Relic Seeker was a complete waste of design space.

Bonethug

Look decent, but the BG is way too expensive
dac15_tired.gif

It's a 4/5 Gravedigger that returns an additional card. Looks appropriately costed to me. The only problem is unlike Gravedigger that sits in the middle of your curve you probably only want one of this guy in your limited deck if you are GB.

edit : I agree, getting that dude + an equipment on top of making a reliable deck in draft isn't.. well reliable
and yeah bone saw is poop

Bone Saw costs 0, which could be pretty useful in a set with Surge as a major mechanic. I'm not saying it's sexy or that Weapons Trainer is good but it might end up getting taken higher in drafts than you think. If there are more cards that care about equipment, Bone Saw might actually end up being a common sight in limited.

I forgot it costs 0. Eh, I guess it's playable then. Can't remember what garbage equipment from BfZ I was thinking of but it was pretty trash

Lucario

I'm liking this cycle.

Baloth Null would be very strong in most limited formats. 4/5 for 6 isn't too far below curve, and the possibility of getting back two creatures is backbreaking, especially in an attrition-based format.

With the haymakers and poor removal in BFZ, though.... It'll be playable, but definitely not the monstrosity it'd be in pretty much any pre-2010 set.

Weapons Trainer is a 3/2 Ally for RW. Its upside likely won't be relevant very often, but that doesn't matter. If you're already in R/W allies, there's no way this is getting cut from your deck, even if you don't have any equipment. Seems fine, although certainly not a high pick.

Stormchaser Mage could be constructed playable. There isn't really support for an Izzet tempo deck right now, and Jeskai would probably rather have Seeker of the Way, but those stats and abilities are very exciting for two mana.

Lucario

I was wondering if someone could help me with my mana fixing for a casual sliver deck?

http://www.mtgvault.com/attleborotaco/decks/casual-slivers/

Assuming Cavern of Souls is too expensive, and Vivid Lands are too slow... Maybe try cutting three basics for Mana Confluence or City of Brass? Right now it's really hard to cast your Lightning Bolts, and a lot of your spells will come into play a turn late from Ziggurat. Unless you're playing against a lot of aggro, the life loss should be manageable.

You could also try the ridiculously fun Dormant Sliver engine, which would draw cards more reliably than Distant Melody and give you an excuse to put in 4 Gemhide Sliver in addition to your Manaweft Slivers.

Image.ashx

(Don't forget, it triggers itself, so you're drawing a card immediately)

+ Any haste effect

+ Any way to sacrifice or bounce slivers (only need ~2 in deck. Firewake Sliver fills the above two conditions, Hibernation Sliver lets you do it without spending mana and is basically Yawgmoth's Bargain with a 1 mana sliver out, Necrotic Sliver buys time)

Image.ashx

+ A mana sliver (manaweft or gemhide)

= An elfball-style "draw as many cards as you need" combo; just need to sacrifice your Dormant Slivers before you win.

DrArchon

I like how the RW one buffs your team if you have an equipment, not if you have an equipment attached to anyone. If we keep getting more support for it, we could see a decent equipment deck in standard. Plus, 3/2 for 2 isn't bad assuming you can get it out early.

The RU looks awesome as well. Again, if we get the cards it could fit nicely into a RU aggro/tempo build.

OnPoint

I take classic watercolor over this samey garbage any day.
Agreed. I think my problem with this stuff is its all homogenized. There is no personality in the art like the old pieces had. Sure, you had a wider spectrum of quality, but it was memorable. This is all so empty.

Santiako

YnJC8if.png

{2}{B}{B} Creature - Eldrazi
Devoid, Flying
When Inverter of Truth enters the battlefield, exile all cards from your library face down, then shuffle all cards from your graveyard into your library.
6/6

Seems exploitable, but I don't know with what. Interesting nonetheless.

DrArchon

I can definitely see why it's mythic. Yikes.

You're right in that there's probably a combo here to be found, but fuck me if I know what it is. But if people can get Abyssal Persecutor to work they'll find a way for this to work (they're basically the same really).

Firemind

Abyssal Persecutor has trample. ;(

It's also much more easier to fit creature destruction in a deck than graveyard manipulation.

DrArchon

Cohort continues to not impress me in the slightest. Limited bomb for sure, but bleh. I really wish they had left it so that it wasn't a tap ability.

DrArchon

I'm fine with tapping two creatures, I just wish you could tap the ability holder the turn it came into play. At least then I could get some value out of it before someone slings a kill spell at it.

Also, I kinda wish they were Zombie Ally tokens I could tap one of those over and over again.

bigkrev

There has to be some sort of Gifts package including that demon, Lab Maniac, Unburial Rights and something that ends up being fringe Modern playable

G.ZZZ

I can guarantee you that if Mental Misstep were to be printed today, it would see 0 play in standard and limited play in modern and no one would be claiming for a ban. But it was banned in Legacy and so was "too good for Modern" even if the card is a reactive card that saw limited play in a standard with Delver in it, and as such already proved that it was good only as the format it was in. Vintage is a sort of a interesting case because they have so many accellerants that the actual CMC of non-0 spells is higher than in Legacy, even if the fundamental turn is lower.

In general i think reactive cards should be unbanned even if they're a bit on the strong side because they give a chance of interaction and lower the amount of infinite different combo decks you can't sideboard for all against. Legacy has a lots of different combo decks for example, but at least you can interact with most of them with cards like FoW, wasteland, Daze, Thoughtseize etc... Modern is light on said universal answers, has a good counter only at 2 onward, no free permission, and only strong discard as a playable universal anti-combo card.
If MM were unbanned for example, decks would probably streamline a bit more, and in general cards that could be considered "problematic" would decrease their impact on the format.

if the zombies were allies that would be too strong imo, some rally abilities are pretty good and activating these for zero mana.. ehh I don't know

G.ZZZ

That black card seems fun.

Entomb Laboratory maniac, cast this, win game 50% next turn. Or simply hold Lab Maniac in hand, play something that exile ur graveyard before casting this, then cast this and win the game.

I think it's a decent card.

Lucario

YnJC8if.png

{2}{B}{B} Creature - Eldrazi
Devoid, Flying
When Inverter of Truth enters the battlefield, exile all cards from your library face down, then shuffle all cards from your graveyard into your library.
6/6

Seems exploitable, but I don't know with what. Interesting nonetheless.
c22bz8k.gif

doesn't oath of chandra suck ass ?
also lmao at flavor text
much edge

edit : I guess it's 3 damage on a creature + 2 damage on a player for 1R but.. eh

Also hedron alignment why

kirblar

It's not broken enough to require being banned from the format of modern is my reason. I said that about 5 times LOL. How about you list me reasons, if it were printed today, that it should be banned.

Some people might want it but it's nowhere in the same ballpark as "MM will be run to counter other MMs that target my MM" that people keep spouting. The type of card I could see being a 1-2 of in a few decks.
People are shitting all over your opinion and dismissing you (amd others) outright for good reason. We do not have to list reasons, as the cards entire history proves its unsafe in amy non standard format. Saying that you think its unbanned will cause people to ignore any and all thoughts you have on the subject of banlists as it telegraphs to people that you are completely ignorant on ths subject.

ultron87

Fall and Bonds have an actually copy and pasted background is annoying to me. Like if they were a panorama art it'd be cool, but it isn't.

DrArchon

Oh look, Oath of Chandra is damage + damage. What a shock. Hell, it's even shittier than the one I predicted. At least that one gave you damage per planeswalker more than once.

Hedron Allignment is going to be the card I always open in limited. I just know it. Like fucking Search the City back in RTR limited.

Lucario

en_0VVDCorRFc.png

I sort of hate this.

Same. It just seems like a pointless card. Even if it didn't have an activation cost, it'd still be way too narrow and underpowered for a hate card.

Like... even if bogles somehow become dominant in standard, this still wouldn't be good enough to see sideboard play.

AotKTsK.png

This, though. So pushed. 5 mana for a 5/5 with evasion and haste that's impossible to remove 1-for-1? What? It's like a Stormbreath Dragon that you don't need to be red for.

Santiako

Reality Smasher will be smashing faces for a while I think, it's really strong.

Fall and Bonds have an actually copy and pasted background is annoying to me. Like if they were a panorama art it'd be cool, but it isn't.

It looks really bad seeing them both side by side, yeah.

I won't lie, I at least appreciate the effort into tying those enchantments into the story and mechanics.

It's why Crux of Fate was so awesome.

Only Crux of Fate was a good card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom