• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
YnJC8if.png

{2}{B}{B} Creature - Eldrazi
Devoid, Flying
When Inverter of Truth enters the battlefield, exile all cards from your library face down, then shuffle all cards from your graveyard into your library.
6/6

Seems exploitable, but I don't know with what. Interesting nonetheless.

I dunno but being able to tutor for this with Bring to Light and have Bring to Light be one of the only cards in your library seems interesting.

Holy shit this card is good.

This, though. So pushed. 5 mana for a 5/5 with evasion and haste that's impossible to remove 1-for-1?

Crackling Doom

Lucario

Reality Smasher will be smashing faces for a while I think, it's really strong.

Can't wait for my next Modern event. I definitely look forward to playing against turn 3 Reality Smasher into turn 4 Reality Smasher.

At least Crackling Doom answers it 1-for-1 in Standard. It'll be completely disgusting in Modern eldrazi.

G.ZZZ

Oath of Chandra could be somewhat playable? 3 Damage to a creature for 2 is terrible but 2 more on players when you play a walker is a decent effect, too bad red walkers still are terribad.

Red surge spells continues to be bad. Green enchantment is trashcan tier.

The 5/5 trample haste is interesting for sure, probably playable somewhere.

I was trying to figure out why the Oath of Chandra says "each" end step; then I realized that they're accounting for the flipwalkers. That's kind of neat I guess. But I'm not sure why GB thinks the card is so good.

ultron87

Okay so you have Oath of Gideon, Oath of Chandra, Gideon, and the Flicker Eldrazi.

You make Gideon a creature, hit em, flicker him, get another Emblem, and get some damage at EOT.

... you probably don't need the Oath of Chandra for this to be good. And obviously your opponent is doing nothing during this. Because it was recently Christmas.

ultron87

en_0VVDCorRFc.png
en_b2SZEvHnUz.png

They were close to the right idea, the background on Fall is slid a bit to the right (you can see more of Kozilek's arm), but the two foregrounds aren't combinable because Chandra and Nissa are standing on the same piece of ground and Gideon is on the rock that is empty in the Bonds art and you can see where Jace should be in Fall and apparently Chandra and Nissa's spells are causing the exact same greenish fire thing on the Eldrazi and aghhhhhhhh I hate it.

Good idea. Shitty execution. It could have been fucking awesome if there was a series of cards in the set that created a panorama of the Gatewatch defeating the titans, but this isn't it.

OnPoint

i hate chandra

can we just kill her off and replace her with like literally anyone else?

She needs an evolution. The character is, mechanically, so one-dimensional it's kind of hilarious at this point. Maybe we'll get it when they reveal she's actually Jaya Ballard's daughter, they meet, and she teaches her some new tricks.

ultron87

Unfortunately the "exile your library" Eldrazi and Hedron Alignment don't combo like I want them to because the exiled stuff is facedown.

Adaren

It seems weird to make this kickass background with these four kickass Planeswalkers and then copy+paste the same rock into both of them for no reason.

Neoweee

Good idea. Shitty execution. It could have been fucking awesome if there was a series of cards in the set that created a panorama of the Gatewatch defeating the titans, but this isn't it.

What, show the titans on one card and the rest of the walkers just shooting off panel? That seems kind of dumb.

The slightly shifting perspective like a time-sequenced rotation is kind of nifty.

ultron87

Rough combine:

p0yU31c.jpg

If you just spread Chandra and Nissa a bit and made the background wider it could be a cool panorama pair of cards. Now it is this weird overlapping thing.

Santiako

I find it really weird that they do this whole planeswalkers matter cycle and the planeswalker tutor in the set with only 2 planeswalkers.

Yeef

I find it really weird that they do this whole planeswalkers matter cycle and the planeswalker tutor in the set with only 2 planeswalkers.
It's more of a flavor thing. This is the set where Magic's version of The Avengers / Justice League gets started, so they're playing it up a bunch. In the article yesterday they said that they might print more "Oath of X" cards in future sets as other planeswalkers join the team.

Jhriad

I take classic watercolor over this samey garbage any day.
+1

You're nuts.
Code:
[IMG]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z268/Jhriad/tumblr_m46wriuf7Z1rr31b3o1_500.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z268/Jhriad/oRaAaQE9_0104142218241.jpg[/IMG]
Are we? Are we really?
Weep in advance for Innistrads new art.

I'm suddenly very sad.

OnPoint

It's more of a flavor thing. This is the set where Magic's version of The Avengers / Justice League gets started, so they're playing it up a bunch. In the article yesterday they said that they might print more "Oath of X" cards in future sets as other planeswalkers join the team.
Now I'm interested in seeing oath breaking betrayal cards.

Firemind

So Chandra is the Black Widow of the ensemble.

Adaren

Rough combine:

p0yU31c.jpg

If you just spread Chandra and Nissa a bit and made the background wider it could be a cool panorama pair of cards. Now it is this weird overlapping thing.

Oh that's how it's supposed to be! Just wish it was reflected in the cards better.

en_l9Z8PERHSF.png

Officially revealed. I still say that if red midrange becomes a thing this Standard, then Chandra will see play.

Hedron Alignment is a nice wacky card. And the first enchantment with hexproof?

I'm surprised by Reality Smasher; that's stronger than what you'd get from a 4R card in most cases.

Oath of Chandra is dull, but I expect it will see play just for the Volcanic Hammer since there isn't an unconditional 3-damage spell for 2 or less in Standard. It's a shame it doesn't play well with Goblin Dark-Dwellers.

Bonds of Mortality is an interesting story card, but bad in actual decks. Fall of the Titans could see play. It is a shame that the arts of the two don't quite match up without some fiddling, but I do like the Eldrazi part of the art at least.

Inverter of Truth is a really interesting card.

en_l9Z8PERHSF.png

Officially revealed. I still say that if red midrange becomes a thing this Standard, then Chandra will see play.

Hedron Alignment is a nice wacky card. And the first enchantment with hexproof?

I'm surprised by Reality Smasher; that's stronger than what you'd get from a 4R card in most cases.

Oath of Chandra is dull, but I expect it will see play just for the Volcanic Hammer since there isn't an unconditional 3-damage spell for 2 or less in Standard. It's a shame it doesn't play well with Goblin Dark-Dwellers.

Bonds of Mortality is an interesting story card, but bad in actual decks. Fall of the Titans could see play. It is a shame that the arts of the two don't quite match up without some fiddling, but I do like the Eldrazi part of the art at least.

Inverter of Truth is a really interesting card.

Chandra is in my top 3 cards of the set right now.

Draconic Roar copies 5-8!

red13th

I'll cube the new Chandra, all her abilities seem useful despite the huge mana cost. Not sure if she'll stick but it'se worth a try.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191312354]Chandra is in my top 3 cards of the set right now.

Draconic Roar copies 5-8![/QUOTE]

Chandra is a good card in a world where the card has a "5" in the bottom right rather than a "4". There's no reason she should be incapable of downing Wingmate Roc without dying or incapable of downing Siege Rhinos at all.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The world where the 6 mana planeswalker needs help to be good isn't the world I want to be shown.

Angry Grimace

It's because she's weak. Like red. Get it?

She specifically feels like she's not pushed.

I don't know, I just feel like this card feels a lot better despite changing only two things:

Chandra, Flamecaller 4RR
[5 Loyalty]

+1: Put two 3/1 Elemental creature tokens with haste and trample onto the battlefield. Exile them at the beginning of the next end step.
0: Discard your hand, then draw that many cards plus one.
-X: Chandra, Flamecaller deals X damage to each creature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom