• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That card is the literal worst alternate win condition they've ever printed. It's also sweet, flavorful, and we won't hear the end of it for years to come.

That card is the literal worst alternate win condition they've ever printed. It's also sweet, flavorful, and we won't hear the end of it for years to come.

Oh, really?

Let me tell you about a card called Chance Encounter.

Or perhaps a little number known as Celestial Convergence.

Hedron Alignment at least lets you cycle through your deck. It's nowhere near the worst. I'd also probably put it ahead of Mortal Combat (it's close, though).

El Topo

Hedron Alignment, Chance Encounter, Celestial Convergence, they're all horrendous. Celestial Convergence at least seems like a card that could kinda work in a deck that utilizes Vampire Hexmage and lifegain. More importantly, neither Chance Encounter nor Celestial Convergence require you to use more than one copy. Hedron Alignment is a much better card though because at least it allows you to scry.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Maro's spoiler:

CX_aJISUEAA3AmR.png:small

ultron87

I suppose a random card from their deck is on average worse than what you exile.

Kind of cute with the flicker guy. (I want everything to combo with the flicker guy.)

aidan

I suppose a random card from their deck is on average worse than what you exile.

Kind of cute with the flicker guy. (I want everything to combo with the flicker guy.)

The best card in their hand + whatever they spend to remove the creature is almost certainly better than what they draw off their deck.

Crocodile

It's kind of gross how much better this set is than the last one. There are also a lot of random rares I'm interested. If the full spoiler doesn't look embarrassing I might buy a box of this set.

aidan

Jace is leaving for Innistrad to find Sorin and Nahiri? I'd love a proper Nahiri Planeswalker card.

Crocodile

A rare example of where "kill it with fire" worked. Feels kind of lame to be honest? I have no real affinity for the plane of Zendikar. I can't say I would have cared it it became Eldrazi chow.

kirblar

A rare example of where "kill it with fire" worked. Feels kind of lame to be honest? I have no real affinity for the plane of Zendikar. I can't say I would have cared it it became Eldrazi chow.
I think they might have done it if Dominaria wasn't already "post-apocalyptic world"

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
"killed"

It won't work the next time. Cause Ugin was right.

I forgot to link the first part - it should be there now. They're killed using Jace's special super smart person thing where he figures out how to permanently kill them.

The whole thing sounds like a cringeworthy tribute to Fate stay/night.

kirblar

I forgot to link the first part - it should be there now. They're killed using Jace's special super smart person thing where he figures out how to permanently kill them.

The whole thing sounds like a cringeworthy tribute to Fate stay/night.
Yes.

Jace is wrong. Because Magic's future storylines basically demand that he's wrong.

Also, this card is actually insane and an instant 4x in Modern Eldrazi, you can easily cast it T2. (This specific card actually might push the deck over the edge long term.)

ultron87

So Ugin says not to do what they did here: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/revelation-eye-2015-10-14

But Jace also thinks:
If the hedrons could pull, then couldn't they pull harder? With enough power, couldn't they be used to draw the Eldrazi fully into the physical realm? If you had a spike through a man's hand, you could do a lot more than hold him there. You could pull him into the pond. And then . . .

So I suppose it is mostly just whether Jace knows better than the ancient dragon we spent a whole block resurrecting and which foreshadowing is stronger.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yes.

Jace is wrong. Because Magic's future storylines basically demand that he's wrong.

Also, this card is actually insane and an instant 4x in Modern Eldrazi, you can easily cast it T2. (This specific card actually might push the deck over the edge long term.)

Oh I agree, I think Ugin made it pretty clear Jace is full of shit even if he thinks he did it right.

Angry Grimace

next time someone loses a bet they're wearing this as an avatar

BRtq0bw.png

Oh, really?

Let me tell you about a card called Chance Encounter.

Or perhaps a little number known as Celestial Convergence.

Hedron Alignment at least lets you cycle through your deck. It's nowhere near the worst. I'd also probably put it ahead of Mortal Combat (it's close, though).

I can build a proliferate engine with Chance Encounter and/or play it in a coinflip deck. You could put it in a deck with Zada, Hedron Grinder and Fiery Gambit. I could keep going.

For Celestial Convergence, just combo it with Vampire Hexmage or any of the other cards that pull counters off of permanents.

For this new thing, you have to manipulate the position of four different copies of this card. And paying 1U to scry is not a good consolation prize.

Maro's spoiler:

CX_aJISUEAA3AmR.png:small

Holy shit this card is bonkers.

red13th

I'm not sure about the 4cc Eldrazi (speaking of Cube), the 4-mana slot is packed with bombs. Same problem I have with the 5cc one, he looks amazing too (5 mana 5/5 with trample and haste plus some removal protection). Also <> seems so hard to produce reliably. I don't know... I don't like <> cards.

Yeah, the specific quote in question:

"Like driving a spike through the hand," said Ugin. "The man will not die, but neither will he trouble other ponds. 'Killing' Ulamog's physical form would be like cutting off the hand. The man might be diminished, but he would survive—and he would be freed."

Does it seem more likely that WotC spent all this time building up and refining the identities of Ulamog and Kozilek just to permanently destroy them, even though the entire story setup was about how you couldn't really do that? Or that this is a local victory that is going to have other consequences later in the long, ongoing serial storyline they're doing now?

I will say I do dislike the idea of magically restoring the destroyed Zendikar terrain, though. Let the plane stay heavily fucked-up and play off that next time we go back.

This actually gives them a genius hook for RTR3 to do something different. (i.e., Jace drags an Eldrazi to his home because he's a moron.)

I can't figure out if doing a colorless-vs-color theme in Ravnica is the best idea ever or the worst.

y2dvd

So much value in this set already. Looks like imma just get Oaths prize packs. Too hard playing the lottery for fetch expeditions anyways.

red13th

Fat Chandra is preordering for $13? She's not worth it at this price. :p
Manlands are already rising in price slightly, the three were $2 yesterday and now Quagmire is $4.

kirblar

Fat Chandra is preordering for $13? She's not worth it at this price. :p
Manlands are already rising in price slightly, the three were $2 yesterday and now Quagmire is $4.
Everything in this set is going to be pretty low, because this set is absurd.

I just realized, Ulamog and Kozilek probably are still alive, since their spawn are specifically stated to still be around after their "death", and the spawn are just other parts of the titans. Unless they choose to ignore that aspect.

Also, Nissa and Chandra basically beat them with Channel + Fireball.

EDIT:
I can't figure out if doing a colorless-vs-color theme in Ravnica is the best idea ever or the worst.

Isn't that basically what they did in this block, with converge?

red13th

The huge thing for me is Sylvan Advocate, it's a 2/3 creature for 1G with a lot of upsides.
I hope they print a strong 2G creature too (either now or in SoI) since Llanowar Elves are taboo. Flip Nissa is a start but too utility, I want a beater.

Hero

What's hilarious with the 3<> Eldrazi is when you do flicker him, they draw a card and then you get to choose the best card to exile again, soooo...

The idea that Gideon could somehow aggro a pair of mindless 10,000 foot tall titans is insane.

The idea that they would show pain or fear in a form we would recognize is insane.

The idea that Jace could somehow intuit knowledge of the hedrons so rare that Ugin's plan hinges on Nahiri being found is insane.

What's hilarious with the 3<> Eldrazi is when you do flicker him, they draw a card and then you get to choose the best card to exile again, soooo...

If they kill it in response you even get to choose the best card after they draw to exile.

jph139

I'm disappointed that Zendikar didn't get ate. The fact that there's literally no permanent damage to any named person or place due to the Eldrazi is incredibly underwhelming... also fuck Zendikar.

May zendikar be cast into the abyss and never seen again after this shitty output.

I hope the Phyrexians annihilate it. Offscreen, for extra salt in the wound.

Wulfric

Everything in this set is going to be pretty low, because this set is absurd.

Absurd in what way? I feel like this whole block has been difficult to evaluate due to 3 color decks combined with Devoid and <> mana. Even so, preorders are priced fairly low disregarding the planeswalkers and Kozilek.

"So Jace, I heard you're going to Innistrad."

*shudder* It's like reading Snape/Harry slashfic. Sorin's hair game is on point though.

Wulfric

Hey, I'd rather have every card be moderately priced than have a few super expensive ones. Playing the rare lottery every time leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Looking back on MM2015 makes me a bit sad. :(

Yeef

MM2 was a bit of a let down; the limited environment was way too on-rails compared to the first Modern Masters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom