• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
Odd bit of cg art aside, terrible story, and a couple of underwhelming new mechanics aside, this set is actually looking pretty great. Such a huge step up from BfZ. It'll be nice to actually want the cards that come with my expedition lottery ticket.

Fi3UNT5.png

The flavor text on the second is great.

EDIT: Huh, I don't remember this
gwelten asked: In regard to Hedron Alignment, was there a big discussion about printing a card, at rare, that requires 4 copies for it to 'work'? If so, could you describe the process of creating this card (in a DtW or article perhaps)?

The card was designed by Ken Nagle in the first Great Designer Search.

Do Elspeth and Gideon even know each other? They haven't overlapped in any blocks or anything.

Gideon doesn't know Elspeth, but to be fair I'm 90% certain none of the Origins 5 know her. However, Gideon is a native of Theros and has a score to settle with Erebos/Heliod IIRC. If we assume that the Origins 5 are the face of each new Block(IE We need them to go to X plane) then it's safe to assume that Gideon would likely be the one to visit Theros while Nissa tries to stop the infection with the help of Melira, Chandra helps out the Mirran Resistance or something, and Jace tries to get inside?

Hell, maybe bring Lilianna along for Theros 2: Electric Boogaloo. Have Gideon/Lilianna as unwilling partners who have to work together to get Elspeth out of the underworld. Throw in Ashiok, Dack Fayden, and Ajani as the supporting Walker cast and that'd be a fun block to see unfold.

My expectations for future blocks

Spring 2016 - Shadows over Innistrad - Jace heads over to Innistrad, Emrakul's main body isn't there but its spawn are, and people are going crazy. Liliana is there for some reason, since apparently it's been confirmed that she's getting a card here, and at first she pretends to join the Gatewatch, but she doesn't and goes off somewhere.

Fall 2016 - Kaladesh - Chandra derps around in her home plane.

Spring 2017 - Fairy Tale world - Liliana actually joins the Gatewatch here.

Fall 2017 - Invasion of Vryn - We see Vryn, but Alhammaret the sphinx (why do I remember his name?) helped open a portal to New Phyrexia, so the plane is already in process of being invaded. Jace reunites with his family, but then they get killed.

kirblar

My expectations for future blocks

Spring 2016 - Shadows over Innistrad - Jace heads over to Innistrad, Emrakul's main body isn't there but its spawn are, and people are going crazy. Liliana is there for some reason, since apparently it's been confirmed that she's getting a card here, and at first she pretends to join the Gatewatch, but she doesn't and goes off somewhere.

Fall 2016 - Kaladesh - Chandra derps around in her home plane.

Spring 2017 - Fairy Tale world - Liliana actually joins the Gatewatch here.

Fall 2017 - Invasion of Vryn - We see Vryn, but Alhammaret the sphinx (why do I remember his name?) helped open a portal to New Phyrexia, so the plane is already in process of being invaded. Jace reunites with his family, but then they get killed.
One of those isn't happening (Vryn.) Insert New Phyrexia instead.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If the result of this current story is we get a "Jace screwed up by being a know it all dumbass" later on, I'll forgive Wizards for a lot

It's a minor thing, but I dislike how "flying" and "can't block" are so far down in the text box. I'm sure the templating is such that text regarding casting time considerations always comes first, but it's a distraction to skip a paragraph to see the text that's consulted most often.

Even though Nahiri is my waifu, I want to see a skeleton planeswalker in the Innistrad block. It's about time skeletons got some representation.

Also fuck Force of Will. It's a Collectible Gutter Game and you can throw your foil Boob Queen right in the trashcan where it belongs.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
We don't have a named Sliver yet, do we? A Sliver Planeswalker would be pretty neat.

Ashodin

Even though Nahiri is my waifu, I want to see a skeleton planeswalker in the Innistrad block. It's about time skeletons got some representation.

Also fuck Force of Will. It's a Collectible Gutter Game and you can throw your foil Boob Queen right in the trashcan where it belongs.
I don't play it, but I see it everywhere.

Lucario

Something to note: the new Eldrazi like Thought-Knot Seer and Reality Smasher might just be better than the current B/x Eldrazi creaturebase.

This means that the Scrabbling Claws/Relic of Progenitus plan could become unnecessary, making the deck just straight Ancient Tomb/Mishra's Workshop value. Would allow room for more hand disruption, and possibly even Mutavaults for a faster clock and more diamond mana. The main concern with this is losing Wasteland Strangler; zoo and burn would become even worse matchups.

Also, if this is really the way the deck is going, mono-black seems like the correct choice. The three color variants of this deck are already horribly inconsistent, and Caves of Koilos doesn't seem like enough for B/W/♢ to be viable.

edit: Thought-Knot and Relic are enough to keep Wasteland Strangler online, and Mind Stone might be the key to a second color. It's also not impossible that Eldrazi Mimic is better than Endless One in the lists that still run it, but I can't imagine either card having a slot after OGW is out.

Wulfric

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191379563]New Nahiri design from the art book[/QUOTE]

Looks more like Kekai Kotaki work. I'd love it if he did more Magic art, but he's probably too busy with Guild Wars 2 to bother.

I wonder if this art is a GP promo reject, or merely slush. They should've gone with this one, imo.

Daedardus

Didn't someone make a post about getting Spellskite like a day or two ago? Might be time to start heeding warnings in this thread...

I asked what was the best thing to buy right now and they replied to me that Spellskite would be one of the best staples, yes. But I don't know why it spiked so much, I doubt many people read this GAF thread.

Scalding Tarn and Burnwillows are up too. Can't put my finger on the relation between those all, though.

Looks more like Kekai Kotaki work. I'd love it if he did more Magic art, but he's probably too busy with Guild Wars 2 to bother.

I wonder if this art is a GP promo reject, or merely slush. They should've gone with this one, imo.
That shit is on point. Reminds me of Order of Ecclesia artwork.

Can't wait for the uproar.

Wulfric

I know right? There's a painterly aspect to the artwork which is missing in the GP promo. I'll take that look over plastic CG art any day of the week. Which unfortunately shows no sign of going away.

OnPoint

I asked what was the best thing to buy right now and they replied to me that Spellskite would be one of the best staples, yes. But I don't know why it spiked so much, I doubt many people read this GAF thread.

Scalding Tarn and Burnwillows are up too. Can't put my finger on the relation between those all, though.

It's hard to predict when the buyouts will happen sometimes, even if you can predict that they will. It's one of the most played cards in modern and it's only seen two printings. It's spiking hard because people will need/want it, and the supply is easy to control. Sadly it's that simple.

Tarn and Burnwillows, I don't know that there's a correlation between those two cards other than they're both important lands in some of the biggest decks and that there aren't many free copies of those floating around either. On that note, the rest of the Zendikar fetches are going to follow suit if they haven't already.

Edit: Also, I won't be shocked if they figure out the 'Burnwillows cycle' in an upcoming set. Kaladesh seems like it could fit nicely.

OnPoint

Oh, I did make a recommendation on Phyrexian Crusader last week or so. As of today:

RStJS09.png

No telling if it's permanent, but if you can find em cheap, pick em up.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191396798]?

imagephsp7.png
[/QUOTE]

Such a hilarious coincidence.

On a side note, of those two cards with the same background, I think it's funny that Nissa and Jace are working together on the one and Chandra and Gideon are on the other, only because those are "enemy" colors.

Also, I wonder where Kiora ended up in the story.

Oh, I did make a recommendation on Phyrexian Crusader last week or so. As of today:

No telling if it's permanent, but if you can find em cheap, pick em up.

I used to play a Modern deck featuring that guy. It was hella sweet. And terrible. 8-rack is better (and 8-rack is terrible).

ironmang

Didn't someone make a post about getting Spellskite like a day or two ago? Might be time to start heeding warnings in this thread...

Just get anything you might think you'll want for modern season now. It'll probably all go up assuming it's in a deck with a following and you can just sell/trade it when it eventually does spike.

OnPoint

I used to play a Modern deck featuring that guy. It was hella sweet. And terrible. 8-rack is better (and 8-rack is terrible).

I'm not sure what you were playing, but BG Infect is looking like a deck people are trying to make work. If it puts up results, this card's probablygoing up.

I'm not sure what you were playing, but BG Infect is looking like a deck people are trying to make work. If it puts up results, this card's probablygoing up.

Yeah, that was basically it. Sometimes it was mono-black (with piles and piles of hand disruption) and sometimes it was black-green (mostly because of how good Abrupt Decay is). We didn't have Become Immense back then though, so maybe it's better now? Hard to say. It was very good against UWR control (which was super popular at the time) and not very good against a lot of other things.

Daedardus

It's hard to predict when the buyouts will happen sometimes, even if you can predict that they will. It's one of the most played cards in modern and it's only seen two printings. It's spiking hard because people will need/want it, and the supply is easy to control. Sadly it's that simple.

Tarn and Burnwillows, I don't know that there's a correlation between those two cards other than they're both important lands in some of the biggest decks and that there aren't many free copies of those floating around either. On that note, the rest of the Zendikar fetches are going to follow suit if they haven't already.

Edit: Also, I won't be shocked if they figure out the 'Burnwillows cycle' in an upcoming set. Kaladesh seems like it could fit nicely.

Thanks for the info. So it's essentialy people buying stuff -> supply running low -> people buying faster. Sort of like a run on the banks scenario.

Burnwillows cycle would be nice, but I think it might be too strong in many decks. A reprint of Burnwillows itself would be nice though, the prize is going crazy and Future Sight is not the most available set. I don't think all cards should be cheap to get, but $95 is a very steep cost in a utility card you need 4 of. That's why I like what MM did to the availability and price. Many staples in it are between $20-$50, which are reasonable prices. Magic is still a game that ought to be played instead of an alternative stock market.

Do you think it would be wise to buy a copy of Vendilion Clique now? I already ran through my budget for this month, but I don't want to pay a big chunk more in the coming months. I'm not sure if its the type of card that would rise much with Modern season coming up. I also like the art a bit, which is a subjective reasoning for me to overspend just to have a copy of the card :p.

DrArchon

No point in talking about not-Dissipate, so I'll just say that I don't see Phyrexian Crusader being too strong once Kozilek's Return hits modern and gives red a way to deal with it. Still a sick card obviously, but not as sick.

Santiako

CYC2dbTWkAAjKZ-.jpg

Name translation unknown 1U
Creature - Eldrazi (Rare)
Devoid, flash, flying
1C: Exile the top card of target opponent's library. If it's a land card, you may return ~ to its owner's hand.
2/1

This set is very good.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
CYC2dbTWkAAjKZ-.jpg

Name translation unknown 1U
Creature - Eldrazi (Rare)
Devoid, flash, flying
1C: Exile the top card of target opponent's library. If it's a land card, you may return ~ to its owner's hand.
2/1

This set is very good.

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say the name translates to Dimensional Infiltrator. Don't ask me how I came to this conclusion.

Seems good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom