• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Thanks for the info. So it's essentialy people buying stuff -> supply running low -> people buying faster. Sort of like a run on the banks scenario.

Burnwillows cycle would be nice, but I think it might be too strong in many decks. A reprint of Burnwillows itself would be nice though, the prize is going crazy and Future Sight is not the most available set. I don't think all cards should be cheap to get, but $95 is a very steep cost in a utility card you need 4 of. That's why I like what MM did to the availability and price. Many staples in it are between $20-$50, which are reasonable prices. Magic is still a game that ought to be played instead of an alternative stock market.

Do you think it would be wise to buy a copy of Vendilion Clique now? I already ran through my budget for this month, but I don't want to pay a big chunk more in the coming months. I'm not sure if its the type of card that would rise much with Modern season coming up. I also like the art a bit, which is a subjective reasoning for me to overspend just to have a copy of the card :p.
Clique is almost certainly going to go up some as people start buying in for Modern season, but it's had 3 printings now, so I don't know how likely a huge spike is. Maybe one of the price gurus here has a read on it?

I'd love if there was a Grove cycle completed, but it probably is too strong. It probably gets a printing in MM2017 at the very least. Can't believe it wasn't in MM2015, honestly.

bigkrev

CYC2dbTWkAAjKZ-.jpg

Name translation unknown 1U
Creature - Eldrazi (Rare)
Devoid, flash, flying
1C: Exile the top card of target opponent's library. If it's a land card, you may return ~ to its owner's hand.
2/1

This set is very good.

This is a better Frenetic Efreet, which was once the premier control finisher in standard

It's probably not playable now, but jeeze this set

Daedardus

It's like they took all the good cards designed in BfZ and where like, nah, we'll put them in Oath instead.

To update the most important question of the set, Linvala's legs, we now have the wallpaper which shows it was a position I hadn't even considered.

http://magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/...ala-the-Preserver_OGW_1920x1080_Wallpaper.jpg

So her right leg is actually bent directly in front of her.

I67aztX.jpg

Well, yeah, I tried to explain that already :p.

EDIT: Oh wait, no you meant bend like that. Yeah, that's even weirder than I thought.

To update the most important question of the set, Linvala's legs, we now have the wallpaper which shows it was a position I hadn't even considered.

http://magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/...ala-the-Preserver_OGW_1920x1080_Wallpaper.jpg

So her right leg is actually bent directly in front of her.

I67aztX.jpg

Man, now that I see the full image that front leg is just a really bad design choice. It probably should have gotten caught early in the process. Tangents out the ass, just makes the whole thing unnecessarily confusing.

The paint quality is nice, and the lighting is nice, but you really gotta watch out for this stuff or it'll undermine the quality of your illustration pretty significantly.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Her right foot is also tucked behind her left thigh.

Actually it kind of just doesn't exist at all. Unless she's holding it vertical like a ballerina, your legs don't fit together like that.

Liefeld'd

DrArchon

Goblin looks great if you can reliably surge and decent even if you can't.

I still wish you could pump the creatures that come with support instead of just other creatures. But then Relief Captain would be 4 for 4 in white so they'd have to up the cost or something.

OnPoint

So Jace is headed to Innistrad to find Sorin and Nahiri... why? The whole reason they needed them was to stop the Eldrazi. I don't get why he'd bother searching them out now. Also, I wanna know Ugin's thoughts on what they did.

Anyway, my prediction is he's going to find Sorin after he partially undoes whatever he did to Nahiri to turn her into Avacyn. Either he couldn't undo it all the way, or something went wrong, but I predict this is how we get the first angel planeswalker.

Toxi

Banned
So Jace is headed to Innistrad to find Sorin and Nahiri... why? The whole reason they needed them was to stop the Eldrazi. I don't get why he'd bother searching them out now. Also, I wanna know Ugin's thoughts on what they did.

Anyway, my prediction is he's going to find Sorin after he partially undoes whatever he did to Nahiri to turn her into Avacyn. Either he couldn't undo it all the way, or something went wrong, but I predict this is how we get the first angel planeswalker.
The "Nahiri is Avacyn" theory makes no sense unless you think Sorin has amnesia.

Avacyn doesn't even look much like Nahiri beyond pale skin and white hair, traits which Avacyn's creator also shares. Their powers are completely different too.

Crocodile

Dimensional Infiltrator and Mist Invader in the same block is LOL. At least I'm glad there are good cards that exile for my Zendikar Cube instead of relying on Ingestors.

The "Nahiri is Avacyn" theory makes no sense unless you think Sorin has amnesia.

Avacyn doesn't even look much like Nahiri beyond pale skin and white hair, traits which Avacyn's creator also shares. Their powers are completely different too.

WOTC are the masters of the retcon. I'm not saying its going to happen (it seems too silly even for them) but if WOTC wants it to happen, they will make it happen :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
"Little Red, the True Fairy Tale" must be Chandra's replacement.

I feel like Little Red Riding Hood's huge boobs and stripperific outfit are minor, yet significant changes from the fairy tale.

Jhriad

Oh, I did make a recommendation on Phyrexian Crusader last week or so. As of today:

RStJS09.png

No telling if it's permanent, but if you can find em cheap, pick em up.

I picked up a playset @ $3 per when you pointed it out. It's more than likely a permanent hike with supply as low as it is. I don't know if it'll stay quite this high but if Tom Ross is saying GB Infect is the better version of Infect currently, I'm willing to believe. It probably settles down near $6 if the deck doesn't start showing up more consistently. A few buylist prices have skyrocketed on the card so it's unlikely to fall back down into that $3 range anytime soon.

What's up with Spellskite suddenly sold out everywhere? Is there a reason why everyone rushed to buy in?

Supply has been drying up for a little while now. Prices of MM2015 hit their floor and the price conscious/finance folks started to pick up the obvious gainers over the past month or so. Since Spellskite is the most played Creature and fifth most played non-land card in the format it's going to be one of the cards to rebound from a reprinting fastest. The combination of Burnwillows and Spellskite is probably due to low supply (Burnwillows) and the fact that both are featured in RG Tron which happened to put three decks into the Top 16 at SCG Open Cincinnati, including a Top 8 by Ali Aintrazi. You'll also notice that Karn has made a big jump and is low on supply now. I'd have to check the time of the Burnwillows jump to be sure but I'd guess that's the primary contributing factor.

As for Clique, no idea. It doesn't see enough play across the format to see rapid gains like we've been seeing with something like Spellskite but a quick glance at the price graphs say it bottomed out a couple weeks ago and is starting to creep up. You're probably safe for the short term so long as you're okay paying a few bucks more when you decide to buy in with the hedge that if any deck with Clique shows success at the PT or a new deck w/ Clique has success at a GP or SCG event your window of opportunity gets a lot shorter.

OnPoint

I don't think it's that big a stretch. Personally, I'm hoping it's something more insidious, like, Nahiri is trapped in some sort of battery that uses her spark to fuel Avacyn's existence. It would provide an explanation as to how she's alive this long (basically cryo sleep) and connects her to Avacyn without her BEING Avacyn.

But this is Wizards. They wrote out that Nissa is elf-Hitler by just simply ignoring that it happened. If they want them to be the same character, they'll find a way to make it "work".

Uncharted Realms - Reclamation - A side story about twin elves, Mina and Denn of the Mul Daya clan, trying to survive elsewhere. They reach a Tajuru camp, but it gets attacked by Kozilek's brood. The elves attack, but can't handle the weird ways that these Eldrazi fight. It turns out Kozilek isn't as efficient at absorbing as Ulamog, I guess, because it turns out there's still normal land under some of its Wastes. Mina is able to channel the power of the Mul Daya ancestors to make her and her brother stronger, and plants start attacking too. After the battle, the elves set out for the Sea Gate.

I don't think it's that big a stretch. Personally, I'm hoping it's something more insidious, like, Nahiri is trapped in some sort of battery that uses her spark to fuel Avacyn's existence. It would provide an explanation as to how she's alive this long (basically cryo sleep) and connects her to Avacyn without her BEING Avacyn.

But this is Wizards. They wrote out that Nissa is elf-Hitler by just simply ignoring that it happened. If they want them to be the same character, they'll find a way to make it "work".

Didn't one of the KTK block stories imply that Sorin doesn't know where Nahiri is?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Its because Spellskite is the 5th most played card in Modern

Crocodile

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191417678]Didn't one of the KTK block stories imply that Sorin doesn't know where Nahiri is?[/QUOTE]

My recollection was that it was the opposite and that Sorin had a good idea (if not an exact location) but didn't want to tell Ugin because it was embarrassing/awkward for some reason. Maybe SigmasonicX knows/remembers better?

Angry Grimace

My recollection was that it was the opposite and that Sorin had a good idea (if not an exact location) but didn't want to tell Ugin because it was embarrassing/awkward for some reason. Maybe SigmasonicX knows/remembers better?

He basically was just like "uh yeah about that..." and Ugin was like "go find her I don't have time for your shit."

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191419550]All I know is, time to drop 4C control and win the GP with Impact Tremors/Goblin Slide aggro combo.[/QUOTE]

I applaud your bravery in playing in competitive events. I don't have the patience or self-control to play in events like that because I tend to just say "fuck this game " if I go enough turns without land.

ultron87

He says he knows her wherabouts: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/sorins-restoration-2015-03-27

It seem clear she isn't in a state where he is in control of her, because he specifically wonders if she beat him to Tarkir and defeated Ugin when he arrives and sees the Hedron cocoon thing. "Had Nahiri traveled here before him and bested the dragon?"

In the other history version of the story, he also thinks: "Nahiri was gone and her silence disturbed him" If he could just go pop over to Innistrad and say hi that'd be a pretty weird thing for him to think.

Just because I post summaries of Uncharted Realms stories doesn't mean I'm a master of lore.

Angry Grimace

Dimensional Infiltrator is the asshole card we didn't know we needed when Courser of Kruphix was around.

Question: on the BFZ Fat Packs, did the land pack have an equal distribution of lands? I'm assuming they did, but I figured I'd check. I'm looking at picking up a couple on E-Bay since it seems to be the most cost-effective way of picking up full-arts for my cube.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
The Nahiri/Sorin subplot is so unbelievably stupid.

I hope Sorin chokes on a lettuce.

There's not a single Planeswalker-related subplot that isn't awful. This switch to an ongoing storyline revolving around Jace's Justice League is going to be painful.

WOTC are the masters of the retcon. I'm not saying its going to happen (it seems too silly even for them) but if WOTC wants it to happen, they will make it happen :p

If they wanted it to happen they'd set it up in khans. They don't actually NEED to retcon it.

What is up with these Eldrazilings at rare? Are they trying to sliverize them? I say nuke them from orbit.

These guys feel way more like eldrazi than the other guys and they're one of the best types of design for constructed (reasonably efficient small guys with interesting situational ability.)

ultron87

Question: on the BFZ Fat Packs, did the land pack have an equal distribution of lands? I'm assuming they did, but I figured I'd check. I'm looking at picking up a couple on E-Bay since it seems to be the most cost-effective way of picking up full-arts for my cube.

Yeah, it should just have 16 of each land.

Santiako

You might want to wait for the OGW land packs, since they'll also include Wastes. (I think it's 14 of each land type and 10 wastes or something like that).

Angry Grimace

The OGW fatpacks and booster packs have the same landpacks in them and they're cheaper. Then again, a booster box costs about 90 USD on preorder and the packs will have basic land in them. I'd probably just buy a box, get the 36 land + wastes (since its a common). Then again, I've drafted the set a lot and opened 2 fat packs and 2 boxes so I have a dumb amount of these full art lands in my random land box.

Box = 36 lands (not counting possible foils) + some quantity of full art wastes since they are commons that don't take the land slot + 36 booster packs
Fat Pack = 178 lands (2x 80 ct. pack + 9 lands from boosters) + 18 boosters

Firemind

Sorin is the most powerful being on Innistrad. He is also an immortal vampire. There are so many directions they could have taken him and yet they chose a freaking plot to find his lost waifu.

Angry Grimace

I can only assume Nahiri and Sorin are at loggerheads due to Sorin being an asshole.

Firemind

I should have said waifus. The first time he had to find Avacyn and now he's trying to find Nahiri. It's basically a retread!

kirblar

Common/Uncommon playset for $30? Yeah, ok, that sounds pretty good. (You can get Corrupted Crossroads and W/R manlands for under $8 a set right now too.) I grabbed a set of the Thought-Knots at 14 because I don't think that card goes down (tho I was wrong on Dark-Dwellers, overpaid by a few bucks because people are dramatically undervaluing what's likely the best card in the set.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom