• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee N

Membre
Going for that anime crowd I see.

They already did that...

Q902P5F.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191456243]Get ready for Eldrazi Ramp mirrors in Standard. This deck is gonna be ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm just not seeing it but its basically the same deck with Kozilek and his Return, innit?

Maybe I'm just not seeing it but its basically the same deck with Kozilek and his Return, innit?

Warping Wail and Kozilek's Return are huge. Warping Wail doubles the number of 2-mana ramp spells while also countering Transgress the Mind and Infinite Obliteration while also killing Jaces and Monastery Swiftspear.

Kozilek is completely bonkers. World Breaker is completely bonkers. They trigger an uncounterable wrath that kills everything from Hordeling Outburst to Ojutai.

All these cards work with each other in like 5 different ways. Kozilek's Menace makes people want to play more creatures into Kozilek's Return. Warping Wail buys time and shortens the clock for Kozilek's Return and your Eldrazi. World Breaker is a one-card Wasteland-Crucible Lock.

I don't know how this deck isn't jumping up to one of the big players of the format almost instantly.

red13th

I really want to add the colourless-mana Eldrazi now that they spoiled Dimensional Infiltrator and Bearer of Silence in my cube (I loved those two cards) but I feel like decks who splash for <> will have terrible mana bases. :/
There's one strong coloured eldrazi with <> matters in each colour now and the 5 drop, I wonder if I should try to fit them.

Tendo Ice Bridge is so expensive now too (damn you Amulet decks!). Seems like it could be an amazing <> cube land.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191456243]Get ready for Eldrazi Ramp mirrors in Standard. This deck is gonna be ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
How do you think to beat it? Control?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191457740]Warping Wail and Kozilek's Return are huge. Warping Wail doubles the number of 2-mana ramp spells while also countering Transgress the Mind and Infinite Obliteration while also killing Jaces and Monastery Swiftspear.

Kozilek is completely bonkers. World Breaker is completely bonkers. They trigger an uncounterable wrath that kills everything from Hordeling Outburst to Ojutai.

All these cards work with each other in like 5 different ways. Kozilek's Menace makes people want to play more creatures into Kozilek's Return. Warping Wail buys time and shortens the clock for Kozilek's Return and your Eldrazi. World Breaker is a one-card Wasteland-Crucible Lock.

I don't know how this deck isn't jumping up to one of the big players of the format almost instantly.[/QUOTE]

Kozilek himself is fine, but Ulamog and Ugin usually just win the game on their own anyways and the existing deck doesn't have spots to just put in a card that does nothing far too often like Warping Wail and I really don't understand why you're hyping World Breaker as a Wasteland-Crucible lock (its nothing like that). I mean it triggers Return, which is cool, but yeah, its not Crucible combined with Strip Mine unless I am missing some combo-wombo

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I guess it's because it's retrievable semi-removal with reach and a big body.

Maybe something like this, based on the spoilers? Kozilek's Return solves a lot of the same problems that Ugin did, and Kozilek's Return wants you to cast a lot of big creatures so I moved Ugin to the sideboard. I don't know if the deck still wants Hangarback or not when you're playing Kozilek's Return. The fact that Jaddi Offshoot survives the front end might make it worth keeping in the main, though.

Creatures (12)

4 Rattleclaw Mystic
2 Oblivion Sower
1 World Breaker
3 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
2 Kozilek, the Great Distortion

Spells (23)

4 Oath of Nissa
4 Warping Wail
4 Nissa's Pilgrimage
4 Kozilek's Return
3 Hedron Archive
4 Explosive Vegetation

Lands (25)

9 Forest
1 Mountain
1 Wastes
2 Blighted Woodland
4 Sanctum of Ugin
4 Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard

4 Jaddi Offshoot
3 Roast
4 Thought-Knot Seer
2 Rending Volley
2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

How do you think to beat it? Control?
Kolaghan's Command on turn 3 killing Rattleclaw + Hedron Archive is pretty good. Don't make them discard though. Keep them off mana while presenting a somewhat resilient or evasive clock is the strategy I'd consider.

Kozilek himself is fine, but Ulamog and Ugin usually just win the game on their own anyways and the existing deck doesn't have spots to just put in a card that does nothing far too often like Warping Wail and I really don't understand why you're hyping World Breaker as a Wasteland-Crucible lock (its nothing like that). I mean it triggers Return, which is cool, but yeah, its not Crucible combined with Strip Mine unless I am missing some combo-wombo

I don't mean the actual lock(probably a poor word choice), just that it keeps coming back from the graveyard to blow up lands. It's the Strip Mine and the Crucible of Worlds.

Angry Grimace

but it costs you lands

the reason to play the card isn't wastelanding stuff its that it triggers Sanctum of Ugin

I don't think playing 0 Ugin mainboard is right either because Return can't kill Gideon

Yeef

I really want to add the colourless-mana Eldrazi now that they spoiled Dimensional Infiltrator and Bearer of Silence in my cube (I loved those two cards) but I feel like decks who splash for <> will have terrible mana bases. :/
There's one strong coloured eldrazi with <> matters in each colour now and the 5 drop, I wonder if I should try to fit them.

Tendo Ice Bridge is so expensive now too (damn you Amulet decks!). Seems like it could be an amazing <> cube land.
Just use stuff like filterlands, pain lands and Mirrodin's core. Utility lands, like Gavony Township, Desolate Lighthouse and Academy Ruins that are still solid even if you don't have the Eldrazi should also be fine.

Angry Grimace

The big problem with the ramp deck is how poorly it mulligans. If you don't get a decent 7 you pretty much lose.

Angry Grimace

This is all ramp decks.

Agreed, it was more of a general answer to the guy who asked how to beat it. You don't really have to do anything, it just mulligans like crap if your opening grip sucks you lose.

y2dvd

World Breaker doesn't do enough. It doesn't help you ramp, only exile one nonthreat permanent pretty much, and is just a big dumb body with reach. I rather play another Oblivion Sower if necessary.

I wouldn't be so quick to mb 4 Kozilek's Return either. Sure it does things early and late game, but not midgame. It also doesn't do much to control decks. I think it's gonna be mostly relegated to sb or maybe 2 mb at the most.

Thought-Knot Seer I want to put in somewhere. A slow disrupt spell with a 4/4 body is a good deal.

I like Reality Smasher but it's dead if the opponent can just cast Oblivion Sower for 1 more mana.

I also like Dimensional Infiltrator in the GU ramp shell. Jeskai Black seems to be going Mantis Riderless lately, so this may go uncontested over the air. It can possibly exile lands for Oblivion Sower to grab. The only issue is the land base I suppose. How many islands do you run to consistently be able to cast this on T2? Will it be worth it?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Eldrazi Charm is shit in modern, guys. Don't believe the hype. It's doubly terrible against infect. Definitely don't even bother boarding it in against it. Basically a free win for your opponent if you do.

I looked over a bunch of the Rebound cards but didn't see any that caught my eye RE: Surge. They get pricey real quick, which I suppose is reasonable. Blessed Reincarnation seems like quite a gamle with Eldrazi cruising around, lol.

red13th

Just use stuff like filterlands, pain lands and Mirrodin's core. Utility lands, like Gavony Township, Desolate Lighthouse and Academy Ruins that are still solid even if you don't have the Eldrazi should also be fine.

I don't have room for those cards, 360 cube lists are tight. I don't know but I might try and see how it ends up I guess.

Lucario

Cantrips are never entirely bad.

Definitely didn't expect a pseudo-reprint of Crimson Wisps.

Kind of wonder if there's a Jeskai Ascendancy combo deck to be built now. Wouldn't even need mana dorks now that the manland cycle is complete; just cast it off Wandering Fumarole or Crimson Spires.

edit: oh god

mpDftHb.png

Angry Grimace

Eldrazi Charm is shit in modern, guys. Don't believe the hype. It's doubly terrible against infect. Definitely don't even bother boarding it in against it. Basically a free win for your opponent if you do.
I don't get the hype in anything.

It's super conditional and probably dead in your hand way too often.

Definitely didn't expect a pseudo-reprint of Crimson Wisps.

Kind of wonder if there's a Jeskai Ascendancy combo deck to be built now. Wouldn't even need mana dorks now that the manland cycle is complete; just cast it off Wandering Fumarole or Crimson Spires.

edit: oh god

mpDftHb.png

fire the dude in charge of this account

OnPoint

That's embarrassing. C'mon Wizards.

Also, "Expedite" is a horrible name for the spell. Sounds less like giving a creature a speed boost and more like something you do with paperwork.

haveheart

Banned
Maybe some of you guys can help me out.

I've got a Black Lotus and I'm not sure if it's fake. Could you give me any tips what to look out for?

The only thing I can see is that the mana cost and the text in the text box seem to be printed seperately as they don't fade out or anything. Also, the card appears to be a tad bigger than my other cards from around 2000.

I got this card from my dad around fifteen years ago. He probably bought it on ebay. I've been looking up the price, so around that time, you could buy the card for 80 to 200 bucks. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe I'll post a photo later today.

Lucario

Maybe some of you guys can help me out.

I've got a Black Lotus and I'm not sure if it's fake. Could you give me any tips what to look out for?

The only thing I can see is that the mana cost and the text in the text box seem to be printed seperately as they don't fade out or anything. Also, the card appears to be a tad bigger than my other cards from around 2000.

I got this card from my dad around fifteen years ago. He probably bought it on ebay. I've been looking up the price, so around that time, you could buy the card for 80 to 200 bucks. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe I'll post a photo later today.

Post a photo of the front, sides, and back.

Chinese fakes weren't a thing back then, so if it's a good fake from that era, it's either re-backed collector's edition or one of the Christian Pantages counterfeits. The fact that it's thicker than your other cards makes me think it could be re-backed C.E.

Here's a guide on how to identify re-backs: http://www.apathyhouse.com/fake/page322.php

(This guide is old, so it might suggest the bend test somewhere on the site. Don't do that; there are safer ways to tell if a card is fake.)

haveheart

Banned
Post a photo of the front, sides, and back.

Chinese fakes weren't a thing back then, so if it's a good fake from that era, it's either re-backed collector's edition or one of the Christian Pantages counterfeits. The fact that it's thicker than your other cards makes me think it could be re-backed C.E.

Here's a guide on how to identify re-backs: http://www.apathyhouse.com/fake/page322.php

Thanks for now. Will take some pics when I get home.

I'm not sure if it's thicker, I wanted to say that it's taller in height.

Will check that page out though.

edit: just read about the christian pantages counterfeits. This could be it.

OnPoint

It's a Savannah Lions that seems pretty useless on turn 1. You won't get much life advantage from it, I guess.

Most creatures are useless on turn 1... you know, unless they have haste? It's more along the lines of Carnophage, Sarcomancy and Gravecrawler. If mono-black Eldrazi has an aggro build in standard, this will be in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom