• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is BFZ -> OGW the biggest improvement from first set to second set ever? My best two alternative proposals were Ice Age -> Alliances and Mirage -> Visions, if that's any indication.

The power-level is definitely better, and will give it a better perception by itself. Oath does seem to have some flaws though as Cohort and Support seem like dud mechanics. But the use of Colorless mana is a great one to balance it out. I'm not sure about Surge but it looks like it could be good.

I guess if I were to make BFZ and Oath with the benefit of hindsight I'd put Devoid, Colorless mana, Rally, Awaken, and Landfall in BFZ, and then put a much higher rate of Ingest+Processing in Oath than what we actually got, Surge, and some other set selling mechanic in Oath. I can see why they wanted to put the colorless mana in the second set to sell a lot of cardboard, but it really would have made the Eldrazi more coherent in BFZ.

haveheart

Banned
Sorry, have to ask you to take another one, since the top border looks weird & it's hard to tell much with the image quality. You mentioned it was slightly smaller than other cards; can I see it next to a card you know is real?

Here you go, hope you can see something on them

91R3BeT.jpg

rvRL5kZ.jpg

8CaC2GC.jpg

WpRCq5b.jpg

for size comparison
rU5JWdN.jpg

1jGt0qD.jpg

Daedardus

Where do you guys order singles from? Placed an order at Trollandtoad two months ago and while it took some days to get it shipped, I was quite pleased with the condition of the cards and their prices were quite reasonable.

Decided to order from them again, but now it's been over a week and they still have not shipped my order. I'm not really scared that they won't ship my order, just annoyed that it takes them this long. Maybe they are running behind due to the holidays? Or they miscalculated their stock and don't have all the cards I need, but then they would have contacted and refunded me, right?

Anyone else know a site that ships on time and that has reasonable rates for international shipping?

Daedardus

TCGP and Ebay mostly. Amazon sometimes,.

I'm not in America, so I think those are a bit unconvenient for me.

Coolstuffinc, I've bought from them for over 10 years and I get 15% off. Good international shipping too.

I checked them out and saw that they have good prices and availability. And now it seems like I already ordered from the five years ago, too. Thanks for the tip.

Bandini

Where do you guys order singles from? Placed an order at Trollandtoad two months ago and while it took some days to get it shipped, I was quite pleased with the condition of the cards and their prices were quite reasonable.

Decided to order from them again, but now it's been over a week and they still have not shipped my order. I'm not really scared that they won't ship my order, just annoyed that it takes them this long. Maybe they are running behind due to the holidays? Or they miscalculated their stock and don't have all the cards I need, but then they would have contacted and refunded me, right?

Anyone else know a site that ships on time and that has reasonable rates for international shipping?

I've ordered from strikezoneonline.com about a dozen times and received the cards less than a week later every time. Their prices are pretty good too. I'm not sure about international shipping though.

Daedardus

I've ordered from strikezoneonline.com about a dozen times and received the cards less than a week later every time. Their prices are pretty good too. I'm not sure about international shipping though.

Prices seem good but shipping starts at $9.99 which isn't all too great. I think I can get $5 shipping from Coolstuff or Trollandtoad. For a bigger order it can be cheaper, though.

Wulfric

I use Channel Fireball (decent buylist/good prices) and Coolstuffinc (slightly cheaper/not as much selection). I can't speak for their international shipping though.

There is way more <> in this set than I thought there would be (mainly on activated abilities, which is smart).

EDIT: Here's a card.

en_WMPlLtTwku.png

Screw you, Etched Champion and/or Mother of Runes and/or Phyrexian Crusader.

Wulfric

Huh, Wizards was saving the best set for last apparently. I can honestly say this is the first time I've wanted to play R/U. Heck, throw in B and that opens up a path for Kalitas and Bearer of Silence. There are a lot of good uncommons for limited/casual too.

So they removed rally and put cohort instead, why ?
Cohort fucking blows, tap two creatures for a weak effect in most cases, what the hell

I like maw of kozilek
Embodiment of fury is cool too

Maybe my favorite Eldrazi art so far.

en_voyMKFxaoU.png

Looking more at the set, Cohort seems built to eek out small advantages during your opponents end step in stalemates. I could see it being pretty useful in limited but hardly powerful enough to be its own archetype.

Looking more at the set, Cohort seems built to eek out small advantages during your opponents end step in stalemates. I could see it being pretty useful in limited but hardly powerful enough to be its own archetype.

Well, beyond that you can always activate it after you use them to block for a tiny added effect if they stick around long enough to actually be able to tap, but most of the are so small and the added casting cost of having the ability so high that it looks sorta pointless most of the time. Limited obviously could be an exception yeah, but even there it means having enough Allies to actually use it.

Jhriad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191607213]No Inquisition of Kozilek in the Kozilek set.
[/QUOTE]

I was holding out hope that it would be the last big reveal. It's almost completely bought out on TCGPlayer now. It's going to be priced pretty fucking crazily during Modern season.

*sigh* WOTC, you done fucked up.

OnPoint

Thread: So what do you guys think the UR manland will be?

Onpoint: I think it will have Prowess.

Thread: Doesn't appear to be any Prowess in this set

Onpoint: It's evergreen now. We'll see what they do.

UR manland is revealed

Onpoint: Oh, I was wrong. No Prowess in this set I guess. Oh well.

Looks over full spoiler.

en_3elSpdMUde.png

Onpoint: MotherFUCKERS.​

Yeef

Thread: So what do you guys think the UR manland will be?

Onpoint: I think it will have Prowess.

Thread: Doesn't appear to be any Prowess in this set

Onpoint: It's evergreen now. We'll see what they do.

UR manland is revealed

Onpoint: Oh, I was wrong. No Prowess in this set I guess. Oh well.

Looks over full spoiler.The UR dude was spoiled awhile ago and has prowess.

en_3elSpdMUde.png

Onpoint: MotherFUCKERS.​
The blue-red dude was spoiled a week and a half ago and has prowess.

en_VGG2SNeAk5.png

I was holding out hope that it would be the last big reveal. It's almost completely bought out on TCGPlayer now. It's going to be priced pretty fucking crazily during Modern season.

*sigh* WOTC, you done fucked up.

They couldn't reprint it, unless you mean a functional reprint with devoid.

ultron87

Heh I forgot about him.

That's even WORSE.

Why the hell doesn't the blue red man land have the blue red mechanic?

I can't.

It's probably just that Prowess doesn't play that well on a manland. You're already spending a bunch of mana to animate it, so you can't use that to cast spells to pump it.

OnPoint

It's probably just that Prowess doesn't play that well on a manland. You're already spending a bunch of mana to animate it, so you can't use that to cast spells to pump it.

I mean it wouldn't be for standard. I'm thinking in Modern, could be great in a UR control deck. Main Phase 1: Gitaxian Probe/Serum Visions/Vapor Snag/Whatever spell/cantrip, make it a 2/3, have it cost 3 mana to activate, shit you can even pump it with Mutagenic Growth.

Ah, to dream...

kirblar

Yup. Also UR and BG seem deliberately mediocre. WR one at least goes nuts in the right deck.

Anybody else going to GP Oakland? My girlfriend and I aren't able to do the 2HG after all but I'll be doing the main event tomorrow.

Even if I go 0-3 I guess I could get my Vendilion Clique signed.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191613849]Anybody else going to GP Oakland? My girlfriend and I aren't able to do the 2HG after all but I'll be doing the main event tomorrow.

Even if I go 0-3 I guess I could get my Vendilion Clique signed.[/QUOTE]

You think it's worth it to get expensive cards like that signed? I have been thinking about going, but only really to buy/trade and maybe get some of my Terese Nielsen and Chris Rush cards signed. I might play a side event or two if they strike my fancy, but mainly I'm just going to see what's up. Never been to a GP before, so I'm intrigued. Might actually have my Modern B/W Eldrazi deck ready by then too, so maybe I'll try to play with that.

Jhriad

They couldn't reprint it, unless you mean a functional reprint with devoid.

Um, no. They could have, if they wanted to. WOTC can do whatever the fuck they deem necessary for the health of the game and if that's sidestepping the mechanical theme of a particular set with a single, very much needed reprint, it's not going to kill anyone. Limiting themselves to things that fit mechanically and flavor-wise is unnecessarily prohibitive and, in turn, creates an increasingly unhealthy environment going forward. Such restrictions practically guarantee that a lot of cards that could use a reprint to alleviate cost concerns or supply issues will struggle to potentially find a place in new sets because those older cards might have some conflict with the story/mechanics/zodiac sign bullshit. This dogmatic insistence that everything in a set be singularly unified in design & flavor is the same lack of flexibility that's made the art in the sets too sterile.

BFZ/Oath wouldn't have been the ideal places for Inquisition of Kozilek but then they already fucked up by not putting it in the set that already had an original Zendikar block Eldrazi subtheme, MM2015. The absolute dearth of necessary reprints in recent sets has created a Modern environment that is becoming financially untenable for a lot of players and potential players.

OnPoint

BFZ/Oath wouldn't have been the ideal places for Inquisition of Kozilek but then they already fucked up by not putting it in the set that already had an original Zendikar block Eldrazi subtheme, MM2015. The absolute dearth of necessary reprints in recent sets has created a Modern environment that is becoming financially untenable for a lot of players and potential players.

The bolded is key. It makes zero fucking sense as to why that and Serum Visions were held out of reprint. It would have made sense if they were putting Inquisition in this block (and Visions in Theros block), but they are not. So now, it's just them being flat out stupid.

Santiako

So are modern eldrazi decks going to forego the whole exile/processors theme and play Thought Nazi and Reality Smasher now instead?

kirblar

So are modern eldrazi decks going to forego the whole exile/processors theme and play Thought Nazi and Reality Smasher now instead?
Why would you have to ignore that theme when the first one plays right into it?

Reality Smasher probably isn't good enough maindeck.

Santiako

Why would you have to ignore that theme when the first one plays right into it?

Reality Smasher probably isn't good enough maindeck.
Ah yeah, I forgot that thought exiles. Isn't Reality Smasher better than Blight Herder though? (Just thinking here, I haven't played the deck so maybe not)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom