• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even know what this means.

If you mean "impactful," I don't think its even close. The various Diamond Eldrazi will probably combine into an entirely new viable deck.

This of course makes it hilarious that the Pro Tour is Modern since you don't get to see any cool new decks with this impactful and powerful looking new set.

Yeah but that's one Modern deck, and it's not any one card that's pushing Bx Eldrazi over the edge.

Warping Wail is going to see at least some consideration In every format. It's a non-blue counterspell, it exiles a massive number of threats in both Standard and Eternal formats and it's occasionally ramp or a chump block.

Standard

• It can be cast off of Hedron archive
  • It gives non-blue decks like aggro or ramp a way to counter sweepers and sideboard cards like Infinite Obliteration
  • Kills Jace, Vryn's Prodigy and combos with his +1 ability to kill larger creatures
  • Exiles the majority of creatures played alongside Ojutai's Command(Dragonmaster :-( )
  • Kills cheap aggro and ramp creatures like Rattleclaw and Monastery Swiftspear
  • One of the few playable 2-mana ramp spells in the format

Modern

• It can be cast by any single Tron land, or Cavern of Souls/Ghost Quarter, lands already very common in the format
  • Exiles Twin creatures and Snapcaster Mage, weakening your opponent's Kolaghan's Command
  • Counters Scapeshift, Summer Bloom and Past in Flames for non-blue decks
  • Counters Crumble to Dust/Molten Rain for Tron and Bx Eldrazi
  • Counters Shatterstorm for Affinity and Lantern Control
  • Kills Noble Hierarch and Signal Pest, two of the best creatures against Lantern while being relevant elsewhere
  • Kills Goblin Piledriver for Merfolk decks

Also counters Yawgmoth's Will off Ancient Tomb as a Shops player :p

Firemind

People pay hundreds or sometimes thousands more for japanese, korean, and russian foils as well as stuff like black border duals. At least the french delay people have a reason lol.
I want to own Japanese Kamigawa dragons because they're based on Japanese spirit dragons. :shrug

Also white borded duals are fugly man.

Daedardus

I want to own Japanese Kamigawa dragons because they're based on Japanese spirit dragons. :shrug

Also white borded duals are fugly man.

Their art doesn't make it any better. Really, this is the reason why the reserve list sucks. I'd love me some fancy art lands.

Firemind

idk man

mz4NyVQjncVeDCYSPUht7Hw.jpg

I love some of the German translations. Verursacht Trampelschaden.

Daedardus

Are you talking shit about Rob Alexander? Because we have to have a stern talk if you are.

Nah, it's not really the artists fault, more that the way art direction was handled was totally different from now and the fact that 20 years ago different styles were preffered than what we have now. They had that more realistic painting feel to me rather than the mystical look that I prefer. For example, if you look at Alexander's shock lands, they have much better art direction than now (to me). It's also Volcanic Island that disappoints me the most, the rest are still fine for that time.

G.ZZZ

One thing came out a minute ago.

If i cast brainstorm and draw terminus as my first card, can i use the mana from a fetch to cast it? Like, do the terminus stay on the miracle zone until brainstorm finish resolving, and can i crack a fetch and use the mana from fetched land to cast the terminus? It's confusing because it's like you announce the miracle, do 3 other things, and then actually cast it.

ultron87

One thing came out a minute ago.

If i cast brainstorm and draw terminus as my first card, can i use the mana from a fetch to cast it? Like, do the terminus stay on the miracle zone until brainstorm finish resolving, and can i crack a fetch and use the mana from fetched land to cast the terminus? It's confusing because it's like you announce the miracle, do 3 other things, and then actually cast it.

Yeah, you can. There isn't a "miracle zone". The card just stays revealed in your hand. So it goes like this:

- Cast Brainstorm, start resolving
- Reveal Terminus as the first card you draw and keep it revealed.
- Finish resolving Brainstorm, keeping the Terminus in your hand and revealed.
- Miracle ability goes on the stack, in response, you crack your fetch and get white mana.
- Let Miracle ability resolve, pay for it, Terminus goes on the stack

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191532710]Yeah but that's one Modern deck, and it's not any one card that's pushing Bx Eldrazi over the edge.

Warping Wail is going to see at least some consideration In every format. It's a non-blue counterspell, it exiles a massive number of threats in both Standard and Eternal formats and it's occasionally ramp or a chump block.

Standard

• It can be cast off of Hedron archive
  • It gives non-blue decks like aggro or ramp a way to counter sweepers and sideboard cards like Infinite Obliteration
  • Kills Jace, Vryn's Prodigy and combos with his +1 ability to kill larger creatures
  • Exiles the majority of creatures played alongside Ojutai's Command(Dragonmaster :-( )
  • Kills cheap aggro and ramp creatures like Rattleclaw and Monastery Swiftspear
  • One of the few playable 2-mana ramp spells in the format

Modern

• It can be cast by any single Tron land, or Cavern of Souls/Ghost Quarter, lands already very common in the format
  • Exiles Twin creatures and Snapcaster Mage, weakening your opponent's Kolaghan's Command
  • Counters Scapeshift, Summer Bloom and Past in Flames for non-blue decks
  • Counters Crumble to Dust/Molten Rain for Tron and Bx Eldrazi
  • Counters Shatterstorm for Affinity and Lantern Control
  • Kills Noble Hierarch and Signal Pest, two of the best creatures against Lantern while being relevant elsewhere
  • Kills Goblin Piledriver for Merfolk decks

Also counters Yawgmoth's Will off Ancient Tomb as a Shops player :p[/QUOTE]

it's also dead all the time and can't be cast under a blood moon

also countering summer bloom isn't something you will need to worry about

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, that's partially why Rending Volley is good: it's easier to cast under a Blood Moon.

it's also dead all the time and can't be cast under a blood moon

also countering summer bloom isn't something you will need to worry about

It makes a 1/1 that sacs for mana in the worst case scenario. I don't know how it's ever a completely dead card.

I mean, Modern decks play shit like Dispel and Spell Snare all the time. A colorless Envelop that also gets rid of creatures and ramps is a great card.

The point I'm making is, this card is a huge deal because it givesa large number of decks a completely new angle. Especially with the way Wail interacts with a ton of sideboard cards.

Firemind

did you just say dispel and spell snare are shit? lol

the creature removal part is really more conditional than you think

and countering sorceries in modern lol

like i'm 99% sure affinity prefers galvanic blast

kirblar

did you just say dispel and spell snare are shit? lol

the creature removal part is really more conditional than you think

and countering sorceries in modern lol

like i'm 99% sure affinity prefers galvanic blast
Hitting all creatures with 0/1 power or 1 toughness hits a LOT.

Daedardus

yeah but for two mana

for two mana you can kill a lot of stuff with a lot of stuff

Yup, if you can splash a color you have access to more versatile removement. If you want to go colorless though, it's a viable option, but I don't think the other spells warrant a full colorless deck.

Haines

Banned
You guys always helped my newbie self so I'm back with a very simple combat question as I learn this game again after months of being away

When someone blocks. Let's say they double block and use the card tandem tactics that gives plus 2 hp to each creature

I assume the instance can be cast after the damage is dealt but if a creature reached 0 hp before the instance it dies anyway right?

I guess I was thinking there would be a situation in which if you cast it before dmg is dealt he might still be able to kill 1 knowing the full hp but if you waited til dmg is dealt than you could.maybe save both he put dmg on wrong one but if reaching 0 means 1 could die before you pulled it off anyways than this wouldn't work

I tried it in that duels game and it didn't even give me a chance after dmg was dealt so I'm confused

ultron87

You guys always helped my newbie self so I'm back with a very simple combat question as I learn this game again after months of being away

When someone blocks. Let's say they double block and use the card tandem tactics that gives plus 2 hp to each creature

I assume the instance can be cast after the damage is dealt but if a creature reached 0 hp before the instance it dies anyway right?

I guess I was thinking there would be a situation in which if you cast it before dmg is dealt he might still be able to kill 1 knowing the full hp but if you waited til dmg is dealt than you could.maybe save both he put dmg on wrong one but if reaching 0 means 1 could die before you pulled it off anyways than this wouldn't work

I tried it in that duels game and it didn't even give me a chance after dmg was dealt so I'm confused

With the current rules, as soon as damage is dealt the creatures die with no chance to do anything in between.

Not sure if they let you do this in the Duels game, but your opponent must order blockers (who takes what damage) before moving to the damage phase of combat. You receive priority before moving to damage, and that is when you'd want to cast tandem tactics. So that you don't further telegraph that you have effects you'd like to put on the stack (spells), it's a good habit to have your opponent order their damage on blockers when there are multiples every time before you move to the damage step.

Declare Blockers Step

509.1 Blockers declared
509.2 Damage is assigned to blockers
509.3 Damage is assigned to attackers
509.4 Triggers related to creatures blocking or being blocked, etc. are put on the stack
509.5 Priority is given to the active player (attacker)

All blocking and damage assignment in 509.1-509.3 are done before anyone is even allowed to cast a spell during the step (509.5). Then, before moving to the damage step, priority would be given to the defending player. That's your moment to fuck up their combat.

Adaren

Not sure if they let you do this in the Duels game, but your opponent must order blockers (who takes what damage) before moving to the damage phase of combat.

Under Gameplay settings, there's an option to "Order Blockers Automatically". You probably want that unchecked for this test.

And yeah, echoing what others have already said: you can't cast Tandem Tactics after damage is dealt (before creature death), but you can cast it after blockers are ordered (before damage is dealt).

Haines

Banned
Not sure if they let you do this in the Duels game, but your opponent must order blockers (who takes what damage) before moving to the damage phase of combat. You receive priority before moving to damage, and that is when you'd want to cast tandem tactics. So that you don't further telegraph that you have effects you'd like to put on the stack (spells), it's a good habit to have your opponent order their damage on blockers when there are multiples every time before you move to the damage step.

Declare Blockers Step

509.1 Blockers declared
509.2 Damage is assigned to blockers
509.3 Damage is assigned to attackers
509.4 Triggers related to creatures blocking or being blocked, etc. are put on the stack
509.5 Priority is given to the active player (attacker)

All blocking and damage assignment in 509.1-509.3 are done before anyone is even allowed to cast a spell during the step (509.5). Then, before moving to the damage step, priority would be given to the defending player. That's your moment to fuck up their combat.

OK! So I just want to confirm I have this right.

He attacks with a 3/4
I assign a 1/1 blocker and 2/2 blocker
He says 1 dmg on the 1/1 and 2 to the 2/2
Than I cast tandem tactics and both my minions live and his dies?
That's the correct and legal way to play it out?

Santiako

He attacks with a 3/4
No, once the damage has been assigned, you can't play anything. You have to play instants after declaring blockers but before damage and he'll be able to kill your 1/1.

Daedardus

He attacks with a 3/4

I thought you had to assign blocking order, not damage. So if he said the 1/1 first and then the 2/2 and you cast Tandem tactics, the 1/1 dies because he deals 3 combat damage to it and none to the 2/2. I could be wrong though.

Haines

Banned
OK I understand now guys. I forgot about blocking order is way dmg is dealt in this game

So if he chooses the 2/2 than the 1/1 does the 1/1 survive now? BC the first guy would soak all the damage up right?

Adaren

I thought you had to assign blocking order, not damage. So if he said the 1/1 first and then the 2/2 and you cast Tandem tactics, the 1/1 dies because he deals 3 combat damage to it and none to the 2/2. I could be wrong though.

Yep. When your opponent chooses the order "1/1, then 2/2", they're saying that the 1/1 will eat damage until they die, then any remaining damage will go towards the 2/2. They don't declare specific amounts of damage.

OK I understand now guys. I forgot about blocking order is way dmg is dealt in this game

So if he chooses the 2/2 than the 1/1 does the 1/1 survive now? BC the first guy would soak all the damage up right?

If they choose "2/2, then 1/1", then you cast Tandem Tactics (so you have 3/4 and a 2/3), then they both live. Since the opponent's 3/4 deals 3 damage to your 3/4, leaving it with 1 health.

If they choose "1/1, then 2/2", then you cast Tandem tactics (so you have a 2/3 and a 3/4), the 1/1 dies since it takes 3 damage from the opponent.

Oath is beating BFZ in so many ways it's not even funny. Like, Every mechanic we've seen has a use in some way compared to BFZ's stupidest mechanic Converge, which is just pure shit. It fails in Limited because the moment you step over 2 colours your rate of color fuckery goes way up unless it's something like Khans with God tier fixing at Common/uncommon. It fails in Standard because it leads to everyone wanting 12+ Fetches to get use from it with the Battle lands despite there only being one good Converge card(Bring to Light).

Like, while the processors/Ingestors were stupid due to lack of them, at least R&D didn't decide that it was an archetype in the format. Converge wants you to play 5 colors(or as close to it as you can) but it's basically impossible in any format and not getting Mana issues for a large portion of games.

Santiako

Oath is beating BFZ in so many ways it's not even funny. Like, Every mechanic we've seen has a use in some way compared to BFZ's stupidest mechanic Converge, which is just pure shit. It fails in Limited because the moment you step over 2 colours your rate of color fuckery goes way up unless it's something like Khans with God tier fixing at Common/uncommon. It fails in Standard because it leads to everyone wanting 12+ Fetches to get use from it with the Battle lands despite there only being one good Converge card(Bring to Light).

I would say that painful truths is the best converge card, not BtL. I agree that it's an out of place mechanic in bfz though.

I would say that painful truths is the best converge card, not BtL. I agree that it's an out of place mechanic in bfz though.

I'm out of the loop on Painful Truths. Last I heard most people were thinking Read the Bones was better b/c it's more consistent and digs deeper.

So is BFZ -> OGW the biggest improvement from first set to second set ever? My best two alternative proposals were Ice Age -> Alliances and Mirage -> Visions, if that's any indication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom