• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanna know if this guy will finally see play:

Image.ashx

Devoid Aggro is definitely getting a power boost.

ruinsoforanriefrfbk4.jpg
corruptedcrossroadsryl8z.jpg

El Topo

Because it would go in a different shell? It's the same reason Jackal Pup is "better" in Savannah Lions because the shell the former goes into is often a more successful aggro deck than the shell Lions goes into. I dunno if this card will actually see play to be honest but "what about Kytheon?" isn't a completely fair comparison. Also, formats can change to be more accommodating to certain decks too. Maybe Kytheon sucks right now but maybe it might be better in the future (I'm not saying it will be but I'm just saying there is a LOT of precedence for cards getting better in formats ans new cards enter or old ones leave).

I know it's not a fair comparison, but it seems to me that aggressive one-drops, even if they offer a specific advantage such as Kytheon, are in a tough spot right now. I guess if they really slowed down the format, that could help such cards? I don't know, I'm not saying the card is bad.

White weenies is an archetype that WOTC has supported forever despite it not having been good in forever.

I was just trying to point out that an aggressive one-drop needs the right environment and the right deck, that the current meta has evolved to a point where aggressive one-drops have a hard time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I know it's not a fair comparison, but it seems to me that aggressive one-drops, even if they offer a specific advantage such as Kytheon, are in a tough spot right now. I guess if they really slowed down the format, that could help such cards? I don't know, I'm not saying the card is bad.

I was just trying to point out that an aggressive one-drop needs the right environment and the right deck, that the current meta has evolved to a point where aggressive one-drops have a hard time.

They're okay if they're like Bloodsoaked Champion since that card can be recurred so often.

Crocodile

I don't disagree. Hence why I avoid making any definitive statements. I'm just saying the possibility exists. IF BR devoid aggro is a viable deck, it will be in part due to that card.

Firemind

I don't disagree. Hence why I avoid making any definitive statements. I'm just saying the possibility exists. IF BR devoid aggro is a viable deck, it will be in part due to that card.
No, it won't. Successful r/x agressive decks have followed a nonlinear strategy in the last few blocks (Young Pyromancer, Atarka's Command, Become Immense). I'll even argue Goblin Guide wouldn't be as good as he was during Zendikar.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So are there really not going to be returning any of the mechanics from BFZ in Gatewatch or what? No Ingest/Processors, Rally, Converge, Landfall or Awaken revealed so far. Seems weird for limited.

If I'm spending 7 mana on an enchantment in standard it better damn well close out the game on its own. Great in EDH, looks like crap everywhere else.

Auto-include for Animar though.

In no way, shape or form this is an Animar auto-include, especially when Glimpse of Nature and creatures like Soul of the Harvest and Primordial Sage exist.

Xis

Oh whoops forgot about those cards.

Was hoping they'd keep Ingest / Processors - was one of the few things I liked about BFZ.

To be fair, we are missing most of the uncommons and almost all of the commons; we don't have enough info to know how limited will play yet.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh whoops forgot about those cards.

Was hoping they'd keep Ingest / Processors - was one of the few things I liked about BFZ.

Those are Ulamog mechanics.

I don't really understand why Wastes and ♦ weren't in the first set and Processors in the second.

Daedardus

Only thing bothering me in this set is that they killed the Eldrazi in the lore but all the bonkers Eldrazi are actually in Oath and none in BFZ.

Angry Grimace

Only thing bothering me in this set is that they killed the Eldrazi in the lore but all the bonkers Eldrazi are actually in Oath and none in BFZ.

It's because good creatures usually require you to jump through a hoop but the Processing hoop was so fucking wonky that it was never actually worth it to do it.

But a lot of those cards that look like garbage might be perfectly serviceable if, say, Relic of Progenitus, or Rest in Peace were around.

OnPoint

Those are Ulamog mechanics.

I don't really understand why Wastes and ♦ weren't in the first set and Processors in the second.

I'm interested in the post-mortem on development of this block specifically for this reason. It feels like something went awry and they did their best to fix it.

haveheart

Banned
Post a photo of the front, sides, and back.

Chinese fakes weren't a thing back then, so if it's a good fake from that era, it's either re-backed collector's edition or one of the Christian Pantages counterfeits. The fact that it's thicker than your other cards makes me think it could be re-backed C.E.

here are the pics. sorry for the bad quality, I used my phone's camera. Hope you can see something.

Angry Grimace

Also, I feel like opening Eye of Ugin in your prerelease pack is one of the dumbest lucksack bullshit things that could ever happen.

Angry Grimace

I mean in the context of limited, opening Eye of Ugin is basically opening a chase card.

It could have been cool for Kozilek to come first, using his reality-warping powers to screw up things and fill your opponent's exile zone (imagine additional Polymorph-type effects), and then Ulamog to come behind and start using your opponent's exile zone as a resource.

Xis

Magic Duels' Oath of the Gatewatch update is being delayed until April lol. It will be released alongside the Shadows Over Innistrad update.

Since the April (or whenever...) release covers both sets, I hope they don't cheap out and have it only introduce as many new cards as the BFZ update.

Since the BFZ update I've been way more into this game. For someone with limited play time, it works out great.

Edit: I'd like to see the possibility for alternate constructed formats; like Block or Highlander.

Adaren

Magic Duels' Oath of the Gatewatch update is being delayed until April lol. It will be released alongside the Shadows Over Innistrad update.

That's...interesting. At least they're giving a date for the OGW+SOI combo update, which means they must be pretty confident in it. Better than falling behind with every set; BFZ was released quite a bit after the paper set.

Hopefully the weird delay is an indicator of something exciting in the update, like a drafting mode! (setting myself up for disappointment, aren't I?)

Angry Grimace

They had to put processors in the first set to go with ingest creatures, otherwise the ingest creatures would just be a really slow mill.

They're the same mechanic. If you simply moved Kozilek to Set 1 and Ulamog to Set 2 you could accomplish this rather easily.

kirblar

It could have been cool for Kozilek to come first, using his reality-warping powers to screw up things and fill your opponent's exile zone (imagine additional Polymorph-type effects), and then Ulamog to come behind and start using your opponent's exile zone as a resource.
Yup.

Putting Ulamog first was a mistake.

Angry Grimace

Would it have been possible to just switch their mechanical identities? I don't actually remember much of anything from ROE that established what they do beyond their cards themselves.

Would it have been possible to just switch their mechanical identities? I don't actually remember much of anything from ROE that established what they do beyond their cards themselves.

Kozilek was already established as mind-warping in cards, but I don't believe Ulamog was described much.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

kirblar

They had established lore stuff they were playing into - you just need to put Ulamog inside nomnoming the ground and have Kozilek on top. Swap the story up.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191527982]Warping Wail might be in my top 2 picks for most affecting cards of the set. It's definitely between that and Kozilek's Return right now.[/QUOTE]

I don't even know what this means. If you mean "impactful," I don't think that card is anywhere near the top of that list. The various Diamond Eldrazi will probably combine into an entirely new viable deck.

This of course makes it hilarious that the Pro Tour is Modern since you don't get to see any cool new decks with this impactful and powerful looking new set.

Wulfric

Man, if these uncommons and commons are on par with the rest of the set, OGW prerelease will be a blast. So glad I signed up for two this time.

Oh, and I guess I got luckily with playsets of Delay and Relic. Should've grabbed a foil or two though. It'll be interesting to how the deck performs at PT OGW.

kirblar

Modern Eldrazi doesn't really want Delay. This type of deck needs to be more proactive. People will do it anyway to be cute tho.

Lucario

Modern Eldrazi doesn't really want Delay. This type of deck needs to be more proactive. People will do it anyway to be cute tho.

Yeah, I tested it, it isn't anywhere near as good as the standard lists. Leaving mana up isn't what you want to be doing.

It's especially bad with the OGW eldrazi, since a splash for blue effectively makes it a three color deck. Still, the idea of using Delay to protect Reality Smasher makes me giddy enough that I'll still probably jam a few modern leagues with the Dimir variant at some point.

Yeah, I tested it, it isn't anywhere near as good as the standard lists. Leaving mana up isn't what you want to be doing.

It's especially bad with the new spoilers, since a splash for blue effectively makes it a three color deck. Still, the idea of using Delay to protect Reality Smasher makes me giddy enough that I'll still probably jam a few modern leagues with the Dimir variant at some point.

Caleb Durward posted a UB list on CFB a couple of days ago. Drowner of Hope seemed pretty good, as did Ashiok and Serum Visions. But you're not wrong - the mana was awkward.

Lucario

Caleb Durward posted a UB list on CFB a couple of days ago. Drowner of Hope seemed pretty good, as did Ashiok and Serum Visions. But you're not wrong - the mana was awkward.

I tried 3x Drowner and it was sweet, but wasn't running Ashiok or Visions. I'll look for the list, thanks.

here are the pics. sorry for the bad quality, I used my phone's camera. Hope you can see something.

Sorry, have to ask you to take another one, since the top border looks weird & it's hard to tell much with the image quality. You mentioned it was slightly smaller than other cards; can I see it next to a card you know is real?

Daedardus

"Delay" in french is "Retard"

Yes, people really like Foil Retards

Wow, so funny. People really like paying $30 more for this? Is the average playing base 15 years old?

Guess since I speak French, I'll always read it correct, so it isn't funny to me.

ironmang

Wow, so funny. People really like paying $30 more for this? Is the average playing base 15 years old?

Guess since I speak French, I'll always read it correct, so it isn't funny to me.

People pay hundreds or sometimes thousands more for japanese, korean, and russian foils as well as stuff like black border duals. At least the french delay people have a reason lol.

OnPoint

Bought my Delays last week. That's awesome. Maybe it's the next Remand? Unlikely, won't be as ubiquitous. But still, won't see reprinting outside of Commander for some time, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom