• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If they could just make Modern Masters not suck value wise, that'd be great. I know you're not supposed to buy packs to get staples, but dear god it's frustrating when I bought 6 packs and the best thing I opened was Apocalypse Hydra. Like, they have to realize that Modern is this big format that they need to support once a year at least with cards that actually matter.

There's no issue to me that Goyf, a premier card, is around $150-$200. That's somewhat fine. The issue is when stuff like Path, Visions,Inquisition, are above $10 per card. It shouldn't cost me $100 for a playset of an uncommon, or $200 for a playset of Aether Vials. Wizards wants this format to grow, I mean FFS they give it a PT and a large chunk of GPs. So why are they so afraid of actually helping it? They get relatively nothing from the second hand market.

Path isn't as broken as Wizards thinks it is in Standard. Maybe nor this round of standard, but it's honestly one of the fairest types of removal: You get to kill a threat and remove it from the game for your opponent getting a basic land.

Tarmogoyf is blatantly overpriced given how good it actually is in Modern though haha

For the record I don't even know what to say about the fact that the Thoughtseize-Tarmogoyf-Liliana deck is kind of bad.

GP Oakland coverage has been fire so far. 10 minutes of Patrick Sullivan walking over some scrub's enchantment brew followed by 30 minutes of a recorded MTGO match between LSV and Efro and now 20+ minutes of a "Please stand by" screen over GarageBand's greatest unlicensed hits.

do they even have coverage before noon

Bandini

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191702468]Currently 2-0 at the GP, 4 straight games vs GR Ramp.

Maindeck Negate is paying off.[/QUOTE]

Keep it up man

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191702468]Currently 2-0 at the GP, 4 straight games vs GR Ramp.

Go go God's Beard!

kirblar

Is your list in the thread?

Path isn't as broken as Wizards thinks it is in Standard. Maybe nor this round of standard, but it's honestly one of the fairest types of removal: You get to kill a threat and remove it from the game for your opponent getting a basic land.

Path would be fair if it only destroyed probably, but exiling is just super efficient for minimal downside.

Is your list in the thread?

A few pages back.
controlvuqro.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I pathed an Ulamog yesterday

It didn't help that much given the Karn that followed. Now THAT's a dumb card haha.

y2dvd

Linvana looks like it can find a home in control. You will most likely have less creatures and a lower life total than your opponent. 2 pretty big flying bodies and gaining 5 life is pretty sweet.

Haines

Banned
Gunna be honest.

Tuned into magic stream and someone just basically one with some infect deck so quick

I mean, hey if thats fun for the players all the power to tyem, and i understand this is probably some wierd format, but as someone who keeps bouncing whether to get into magic or not i always just get pushed into ...noooo stay in limited....when i see this stuff

Is there anywhere i can pratcice for a sealed event, aka prerelease. I know theres draft simulators. I have no idea if there are sealed omes, and ones updated with the new cards for that matter

Gunna be honest.

Tuned into magic stream and someone just basically one with some infect deck so quick

I mean, hey if thats fun for the players all the power to tyem, and i understand this is probably some wierd format, but as someone who keeps bouncing whether to get into magic or not i always just get pushed into ...noooo stay in limited....when i see this stuff

Is there anywhere i can pratcice for a sealed event, aka prerelease. I know theres draft simulators. I have no idea if there are sealed omes, and ones updated with the new cards for that matter
If you want to have fun playing magic just play EDH.

Yeef

Gunna be honest.

http://www.magicdrafting.com/oath-of-the-gatewatch-sealed/

Angry Grimace

Man the ramp deck is already stupidly amusing to play since you sometimes end up with board states with Oblivion Sower, Atarka and Ulamog out at the same time, adding in a bunch of extra good stuff is gonna be crazy.

I take back anything negative I said about this beautiful thing
KuGsj.gif

One of my teammates for GP San Jose team sealed Blake is 8-1 at Oakland right now. At least there's some positive.

I think I'm gonna sell most of my cards.

y2dvd

Man the ramp deck is already stupidly amusing to play since you sometimes end up with board states with Oblivion Sower, Atarka and Ulamog out at the same time, adding in a bunch of extra good stuff is gonna be crazy.

I take back anything negative I said about this beautiful thing
KuGsj.gif

Yasssss. Join the good side!

Didn't yall hype up BG Infect just for Tom Ross to still play UG Infect? Lol

I'm so tired. I can't play fast enough to win with the control decks I like to play. I should have played the third Dragonmaster like I planned. Two of my draws I was one turn short of lethal. Every match I played today went within 5 minutes of time or went over. Only one match where I played 3 games ended on time.

4-2-3. Just horrendous. I'm not going to blame draws or luck or my opponents or fetchlands being in Standard.

I went to time in large tournaments playing Whip and Sphinx's Rev as well. It's a real problem that isn't getting better. I took PVDDR's advice and planned out my sequencing during my opponent's turns, but building inevitability takes me so long. I need to figure out what mistakes I'm making or I'm just going to burn out and quit magic. I've lost too many rounds during the last two years of competitive magic because of time. The only time I had real, consistent success was when I was playing Bogles. My roommate and I go back and forth all the time, but I've gone 7-0 in matches against him playing Atarka Red. Maybe I just need to play aggro.

I dunno. My brain hurts from being stuck shoulder-to-shoulder with 2000 people for twelve hours without any breaks to walk around because all my matches went to time.

I'm really stressed out about this. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm not Ivan Floch.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191763185].[/QUOTE]

Don't make any rash decisions- It already sounds like you're gaining valuable insight and as a result will be better in the future.

Get some rest and draft tomor :)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Even the pros don't run the same exact type of decks every single time. Your brain needs some refreshing. Just give it a switch up every now and again and you'll be fine.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191763185]I'm so tired. I can't play fast enough to win with the control decks I like to play. I should have played the third Dragonmaster like I planned. Two of my draws I was one turn short of lethal. Every match I played today went within 5 minutes of time or went over. Only one match where I played 3 games ended on time.

4-2-3. Just horrendous. I'm not going to blame draws or luck or my opponents or fetchlands being in Standard.

I went to time in large tournaments playing Whip and Sphinx's Rev as well. It's a real problem that isn't getting better. I took PVDDR's advice and planned out my sequencing during my opponent's turns, but building inevitability takes me so long. I need to figure out what mistakes I'm making or I'm just going to burn out and quit magic. I've lost too many rounds during the last two years of competitive magic because of time. The only time I had real, consistent success was when I was playing Bogles. My roommate and I go back and forth all the time, but I've gone 7-0 in matches against him playing Atarka Red. Maybe I just need to play aggro.

I dunno. My brain hurts from being stuck shoulder-to-shoulder with 2000 people for twelve hours without any breaks to walk around because all my matches went to time.

I'm really stressed out about this. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm not Ivan Floch.[/QUOTE]
Playing Aggro really fast is a mistake in and of itself though.

Join the dark side there's only one deck with this kinda top end

Y7jIwsc.png

The Nissa's Revelation is a super fun card to play. There were a few people playing Nissa's Renewal (Gain 7 life, Explosive Veggies for 3), but the difference between 6 and 7 is nothing in this deck and Scry 5, probably gain 10 life and draw 10 cards is kind of huge.

People are only suddenly starting to realize that Infinite Obliteration naming Ulamog doesn't actually win the game. Hell, I board one or two out against black decks with I Can't Even guy.

ElyrionX

If they could just make Modern Masters not suck value wise, that'd be great. I know you're not supposed to buy packs to get staples, but dear god it's frustrating when I bought 6 packs and the best thing I opened was Apocalypse Hydra. Like, they have to realize that Modern is this big format that they need to support once a year at least with cards that actually matter.

There's no issue to me that Goyf, a premier card, is around $150-$200. That's somewhat fine. The issue is when stuff like Path, Visions,Inquisition, are above $10 per card. It shouldn't cost me $100 for a playset of an uncommon, or $200 for a playset of Aether Vials. Wizards wants this format to grow, I mean FFS they give it a PT and a large chunk of GPs. So why are they so afraid of actually helping it? They get relatively nothing from the second hand market.

If the second hand market is not the way it is, Wizards would not nave been able to get away with pricing MM2 at $10 per pack.

Angry Grimace

Took the ramp deck for a spin, and yeah, its good

j9B9Mec.png

The only way people seem to understand how to interact with it is to Infinite Obliterate Ulamog, which doesn't work as well as people seem to hope. It's not exactly non-interactive, its that the correct counter strategy is probably boarding in discard or going for a big win faster than the opponent can start dropping anything vaguely large, not trying to remove a wincon from the deck because there's too many of them, besides which Ugin can't be Obliterated anyways so you still have to deal with a board wipe.

Angry Grimace

This is the decklist I just used, but I didn't find Sylvan Scrying to be particularly great - the corner case where it's better than just having a straight up land is either fetching Sanctum late-game (which I found mostly irrelevant, its very hard to lose if you GET to the lategame) or as a thing to do with mana on turn 2, which is usually better used on a Hangarback Walker. I also really liked Nissa out of the board and would consider her main, but she slows the deck down and Hangarback + Map is a pretty good turn 3. Nissa's Renewal out of the board is not a very good option either, in my opinion. I just don't get the card - it costs too much to be useful as a legitimate ramp card (Shrine usually lets you start accelerating for free at 7 lands) and does nothing to bring you back in a game where you're down. A Revelation with 2 card in your hand will just win you the game because you gain 10 life and draw 10 cards so often.

In a world where control was more common, I'd probably have a better strategy for dealing with counters, but its such a small part of the overall meta that the strategy is more often than not to just make land drops and pressure the opponent with the ramp spells. I'd probably play Gaea's Revenge, but I legit forgot it was a legal card.

Angry Grimace

and yes, the concept of casting the Great Aurora has come up, I'm just not brave enough lol

WanderingWind

I'm really going to try giving B/W/C Eldrazi a spin. I can't get the thought that having Path and discard handy out of my head. The blue version seems really, really good against Jund though.

WanderingWind

You already win that matchup.

Yeah, you're probably right. Drowner of Hope is a nice card, and Ashiok is basically an Eldrazi PW. But I don't want to try to get greedy with the base. You need black for discard. White is basically for Path and anti-Stony silence SB tech.

EDIT: You know what goes well with Eldrazi Scions? Like, really, really well? Tragic Slip. I'm also thinking about Bitterblossom to gum up the early aggro works. That may be a force, but Tragic Slip? That's perfect.

Nikodemos

Sorry, God's Beard, but called it :p
Which is why my personal motto is "Win fast or lose fast, just don't go to time". It slowly exhausts you and eventually makes you much more tired (due to the lack of breaks) than boom-or-bust gameplay.

Unfortunately, with aggro decks being underpowered now, I can't really play to my enjoyment.

Maybe after SOI comes out.

I ran that ramp list for awhile and ended up swapping out Atarka for Villainous Wealth. The deck is categorically worse now but Wealth is just so much fun to cast for 10+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom