• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

Glad that Huang lost the final (SCG), he won the semifinals on a technicality. (The opponent had a pithing needle on Borborygmos, but the one he uses is Borborygmos Enraged).

OnPoint

Sigh. Picked up my Links. Cool card regardless. I should probably start selling stuff if I'm going to keep buying it too lol

ultron87

Glad that Huang lost the final (SCG), he won the semifinals on a technicality. (The opponent had a pithing needle on Borborygmos, but the one he uses is Borborygmos Enraged).
Sucks that it just happened to be one of the Legendary creatures where there is a card with the exact name that could also reasonably used as shorthand for a different card.

OnPoint

I wish they did a reverse Scry with Kozilek that let you look at the bottom card of your library, and choose whether or not to put it on the top or bottom. That would have been simple, kind of pointless, and pretty awesome.

By the way, The Professor really talks that slow in real life.

I can't believe I'm saying this-

BUY A SET OF VAMPIRIC LINK NOW.

It's almost gone on TCGP, you can get it for 4-5 bux.

It's played in the Eldrazi deck's SB, and is a shifted PC uncommon, so there aren't a lot of copies.

Poor man's Spirit Link

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I can't believe I'm saying this-

BUY A SET OF VAMPIRIC LINK NOW.

It's almost gone on TCGP, you can get it for 4-5 bux.

It's played in the Eldrazi deck's SB, and is a shifted PC uncommon, so there aren't a lot of copies.

Just grabbed the last playset on Comic Hunter for $3.00. Not much risk there.

lol. Which would be doubly crap because Caverns didn't fit the lore real well the first time around. It seemed purposely vague and universal for the purposes of future reprintablity. I'm kicking myself for not jumping on it. I told y'all to do it when it was 5 bucks and never jumped on it then myself. Healer, heal thy self.

Exactly what I read was their reasoning back then. It was to give players a way to not feel so bad about blue. Vague name so it could be reprinted.

What does WotC do? Not reprint it. They could have just jammed it into the last few core sets or something.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Cavern's a perfect reprint for SoI. Lands typically don't have the same issues the other reprints do.

I mean, it could be an asshole card while certain things are still around like Dragonlords and is possibly busted in an Eldrazi deck, but fuck counterspells.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
aazadan asked: When the core sets were removed, you said reprints would happen more aggressively. Yet with BFZ block now fully known we can see that the cards which most needed the reprints like IoK, and Goblin Guide couldn't be reprinted due to power level concerns. Is R&D going to reconsider the power level Standard is being maintained at so that reprints can actually happen?

We’re going to obviously talk about what to do with reprints, but Standard-legal sets is just one avenue for us to explore.

I feel like this is one of those things that should have been obvious at the time they made the whole promise to aggressively reprint Modern staples: people want reprints of Modern cars because they are in demand. Cards are in demand because they are powerful.

Hero

The fact that MM2015 missed out on so many important reprints and then BFZ block isn't having anything that's needed for the format is frustrating.

Angry Grimace

The worst part to me is the $10 packs and super limited availability. There's no reason a pack of MMA should cost 250% what a regular pack does, period.

I mean, I say that and a box of MMA2015 costs less than it did when it was new but still

About a year ago, I suggested that MM is being misused and should be a product that should be filled with staples and highlights from the past and available either year-round in low supply or something like 6 months per year. There should be no mythics and it's just a product that puts supply into the market at a trickle pace, but can also be drafted (in no serious way, given the construction of the packs) if that's your thing.

If MM can't do this, they need to find another way. Like give packs like this to LGS to hand out to 1st place at FNMs. Just something that stead-streams staples for modern. Cause they need to grow the pool of available cards and also account for the fact that people walk away from the game weekly with entire supplies of cards in their collections.

Sandfox

A new store opened up ckise to me recently and it's supposedly really nice so I may try getting back into the game tomorrow.

Hero

The worst part to me is the $10 packs and super limited availability. There's no reason a pack of MMA should cost 250% what a regular pack does, period.

I mean, I say that and a box of MMA2015 costs less than it did when it was new but still

I mean, I understand the 10 dollar packs because at MSRP of a normal booster at 4 dollars would just lead retailers to marking up prices and pocketing all the profit, which is what happened to MM the first go around and that was with 7/8 dollar packs. The thing was that MM2015 had a larger print run but the value just wasn't there. Rares and uncommons for the most part were pitiful. At least in MM you had a good chance of opening/drafting your value back even if you didn't win the mythic lottery.

kirblar

I mean, I understand the 10 dollar packs because at MSRP of a normal booster at 4 dollars would just lead retailers to marking up prices and pocketing all the profit, which is what happened to MM the first go around and that was with 7/8 dollar packs. The thing was that MM2015 had a larger print run but the value just wasn't there. Rares and uncommons for the most part were pitiful. At least in MM you had a good chance of opening/drafting your value back even if you didn't win the mythic lottery.
Exactly. MM should start with higher pack EV because as packs are opened the EV will drop.

ElyrionX

No. The absolute biggest bullshit was pricing it at $10 and STILL limiting the goddamn supply.

Hero

Exactly. MM should start with higher pack EV because as packs are opened the EV will drop.

Yup. I mean even foil commons the first time around could make up a good EV of a pack. Got some foil Lava Spikes and other random crap that eased the sting when getting a dragon in the mythic rare slot.

Oh, totally forgot to mention the whole thing with the packaging and damaged cards.

ElyrionX

About a year ago, I suggested that MM is being misused and should be a product that should be filled with staples and highlights from the past and available either year-round in low supply or something like 6 months per year. There should be no mythics and it's just a product that puts supply into the market at a trickle pace, but can also be drafted (in no serious way, given the construction of the packs) if that's your thing.

This is a good idea. They can also use this as a platform to reprint cards that spiked for no good reason other than the "finance" kids deciding to do a buyout. This would wipe out all the goddamn "speculators" in the market.

hermit7

One of the issues I think is the idea that wizards has regarding the reprint value and how they have an incentive to keep value in certain cards and card combinations. It just seems silly to be so anchored to the secondary market when it is a card game.

I get the need to keep businesses open so that the game can grow but to artificially increase the value by not reprinting cards when they need it limits the possible growth of the game.

This is not a printable product, nobody would ever sign off on that. Nothing is ever going to have no mythics again and no booster set is going to be released without significant effort put into how it drafts. If they want to do low-key, supply-boosting reprints they need to use products more along the lines of the Modern Event Deck.

This is not a printable product, nobody would ever sign off on that. Nothing is ever going to have no mythics again and no booster set is going to be released without significant effort put into how it drafts. If they want to do low-key, supply-boosting reprints they need to use products more along the lines of the Modern Event Deck.

Fully aware it's not printable. Just saying it's something they should/could do if modern was a larger priority than the problems this would cause.

I walked into one of my two LGS's in my city today trying to see if they had the cards I was looking for a modern deck. They didn't even have Commons with like 5 different printings. This is really turning me off of Modern.

Make Event Modern decks(Budget versions of bigger decks) be yearly things. If we're still getting clash packs/Duel decks, make one a year be Modern focused. Have elves (Budget version of Coco Elves) vs Artifacts(Budget version of Affinity).

I don't get why EDH(a format that is almost entirely fueled by the second hand market) gets a full cycle every year, several rares designed for it, etc but Modern is ignored despite being a PT format.

PS: Can anyone suggest a cheapish Modern deck? I tried finding a common from Soul Sisters, Death and Taxes, and CoCo Elves but no dice. Budget is like $500ish.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, Chandra 'killed' the Eldrazi and Ob? She's totally scheduled to be the next one to die.

PS: Can anyone suggest a cheapish Modern deck? I tried finding a common from Soul Sisters, Death and Taxes, and CoCo Elves but no dice. Budget is like $500ish.

Bogles (minus Gaddock Teeg sideboard), Valakut , CoCo Elves, Super Cheap Green Stompy

Depending on what you already have for lands, you may be able to spread out a bit more. Same with other modern staples like Goblin Guide, etc.

Ashodin

She's done too much, and will go back in time to save Jaya Ballard, who will take her planeswalker spark for her and avenge her descendant.

So, Chandra 'killed' the Eldrazi and Ob? She's totally scheduled to be the next one to die.
She didn't kill Ob I believe, she merely burned him enough to get him to GTFO. However, for Chandra, that's a trick that I feel is only going to work once.

As for the Eldrazi, I really hope that she did "kill" them so we can get a block of Ugin yelling at Jace for fucking everything up. I have a stupid thought that the Eldrazi existing in the Blind Eternities might be why they are so painful to exist in and that by killing them Jace is making it easier to go between worlds.

Angry Grimace

She didn't kill them, Ugin made it as clear as day that whatever Jace was planning to "kill them for real" was bullshit he didn't understand.

Also, lol @ Fifth Dawn Bikini Girl being bought out. She's useful in like 1 Tier 3 deck (which I love, but still, its Tier 3 at best).

kirblar

I have a feeling something will happen to Innistrad's moon.
3126402-soul-eater-soul-eater-23559282-1920-1080.jpg

Bet ya Tamiyo figures it out.

WanderingWind

Okay, yeah, SCG and CFB are just 'buying' cards out to inflate purchase prices on niche items. There is no goddamn way that is a natural buyout.

WanderingWind

They're not the ones doing it - these buyouts are happening when cards with limited supply come up onstream.

Uh-huh. And as we all know, unregulated pawn shops would never do something legal, yet shady. By the way, who runs the streams again?

kirblar

Uh-huh. And as we all know, unregulated pawn shops would never do something legal, yet shady. By the way, who runs the streams again?
They've done buyouts - but word usually gets out when they move- via MKM, IRL dealers, etc. It was one of the issues with their pro team not working out, IIRC. But they're not doing them on dumb cards in the middle of the afternoon on a weekend - these are people being silly and reactionary.

WanderingWind

They've done buyouts - but word usually gets out when they move- via MKM, IRL dealers, etc. It was one of the issues with their pro team not working out, IIRC. But they're not doing them on dumb cards in the middle of the afternoon on a weekend - these are people being silly and reactionary.

"It's been done before, but not during this arbitrary time period. That's silly." Come on, son.

Fully aware it's not printable. Just saying it's something they should/could do if modern was a larger priority than the problems this would cause.

Anything that involves a non-draft-oriented booster product isn't actually a good way to get supply out into the world, tho. There isn't actually anything wrong with the broad concept of Modern Masters, it just needs a more aggressive approach from R&D and Brand (i.e. more top-tier reprints and a lower price) and to be supplemented with pre-built product like the Modern Event Deck.

It's not that big dealers don't do anything shady, just that it wouldn't make sense for them to do this one, lol. At the volume SCG has to deal at they'd actually take a bath buying up marginal cards in enough volume to tweak the market; their goal is going to be to monopolize on something legitimately white-hot, then sell out of it quickly again.

kirblar

Night of Souls' Betrayal doubled last weekend. I'm an idiot for not having a pair.

If you notice, all the stuff jumping is stuff that hasn't been reprinted from MIrrodin->Lorwyn.

There is a good reason for this.

At least I got to find 2 Scion of the Ur-Dragon to sell/trade in the process of finding I had no Betrayals.

WanderingWind

It's not that big dealers don't do anything shady, just that it wouldn't make sense for them to do this one, lol. At the volume SCG has to deal at they'd actually take a bath buying up marginal cards in enough volume to tweak the market; their goal is going to be to monopolize on something legitimately white-hot, then sell out of it quickly again.

Unless they had the stock already, which they do, as that is their entire business model. And volume is the great equalizer. It's not as if these things are limited to one card at a time. Not everything is this conspiracy level event. It's great business on their part to manipulate the market to their favor. Dismissing it everytime a bulk rare jumps in price because 'it doesn't make sense this time' is very odd. It makes sense for them literally every single time. They're in a business that depends on reactions to the secondary market.

Firemind

Night of Souls' Betrayal doubled last weekend. I'm an idiot for not having a pair.

If you notice, all the stuff jumping is stuff that hasn't been reprinted from MIrrodin->Lorwyn.

There is a good reason for this.

At least I got to find 2 Scion of the Ur-Dragon to sell/trade in the process of finding I had no Betrayals.
If only they would unban Chrome Mox.

I mean, if you really think about it, Mox Opal is literally a mox that can tap for any mana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom