• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

An-Det

So it's heartless summoning going to go from bulk rare to expensive rare now?

The eldrazi decks seem to be playing it now.

It's definitely spiked to about $3 already, and if the dude Top 8's today I could see maybe $5 since it's selling out. I'm really curious to see if it makes any waves at the Pro Tour next month.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What's confusing you? It works like usual multi-blocker situations. Breaker's controller decides how to assign damage to the blockers. The blockers' controller has no choice but to block Breaker (unless there are multiple attacking Breakers).

What's confusing you? It works like usual multi-blocker situations. Breaker's controller decides how to assign damage to the blockers. The blockers' controller has no choice but to block Breaker (unless there are multiple attacking Breakers).

well the only multi-block situation im aware of is when the attacking creature has trample, but this doesn't so I wasn't sure how the attacking damage got dealt with.

Haines

Banned
well the only multi-block situation im aware of is when the attacking creature has trample, but this doesn't so I wasn't sure how the attacking damage got dealt with.

Attacker chooses blockers.

Damage is dealt in order of chosen, so if damage kills first creature it ps leftover damage goes to the next crewture till either you run out of damage points or all the blockers are dead.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I ran that ramp list for awhile and ended up swapping out Atarka for Villainous Wealth. The deck is categorically worse now but Wealth is just so much fun to cast for 10+.

jSTL2xW.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

When multiple creatures block a single creature, the controller of the single creature determines the damage order and damage distribution.

So let's say Player A's Breaker attacks into Player B and Player B is forced to block with his 1/1, 2/2, 3/3 and 0/6.

Player A chooses this order to assign damage: 2/2 -> 3/3 -> 1/1 -> 0/6

Then, during the Combat Damage step, Breaker's 10 damage is split up among all the defenders. So it deals 2 damage to the 2/2, which dies, then 3 damage to the 3/3, which dies, then 1 damage to the 1/1, which dies, then 4 damage to the 0/6, which lives. Those creatures with power also deal their damage to the Breaker.

2 + 3 + 1 + 4 = 10

This may sound like the creatures are dying "in order" but they're not. The deaths happen simultaneously on both sides of the field.

However Player A isn't limited to assigning only 2 damage to the 2/2. They can assign as much as they want, and leave no more damage for the rest of the blockers. The only caveat here is that Player A must assign at least lethal damage. 2 damage is okay, 5 damage is okay, 1 damage is not. You would want to do this, for example, if you think they have a pump that will save a Blocker you really want to kill.

The difference between this situation and Trample is that in Trample's case, if there's "leftover" damage after all blockers are dead, they hit Player B, or his Planeswalkers.

MrDoctor

SyggCombo_zpsbg7ryrf0.png

How's this combo for my Merfolk EDH deck? Infinite mana, infinite draws, and infinite untaps. Wake Thrasher on the field can become ridiculously powerful. A tap/untap card paired with Daring Thief can essentially boardwipe creatures with enough chump tokens.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
So it's heartless summoning going to go from bulk rare to expensive rare now?

The eldrazi decks seem to be playing it now.

Just took part in the mad rush on this card. Completely sold out on eBay, but I did manage to snag a playset for $20. I'm sort of hedging my bets on this Eldrazi deck for now because I am not sure in what direction the strongest build will take us. I really like the sound of B/u, especially if it means I get to dust off my Ashioks, but I worry that it's less consistent than mono-B.

Haines

Banned
Oath will have 2 uncommons and a rare/mythic right?

Amd wastes are just a common that count as a card in draft, its aside from the lamd in the pack already?

Is this right?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I've held on to Heartless Summoning, mostly for nostalgic purposes. I can't find a spot for it though. Seems a bit well, yeah, cutesy.

Look at your Tarmogoyf. Now look at my Relic. Now look back at your Tarmogoyf. The Goyf is now 0/1. Anything can happen when you maindeck copious amounts of graveyard hate.

WanderingWind

Oh, so why does it say 1st place? But yeah, it's definitely strong enough to power through people forcing storm, Jund decks without Lilis and Goyfs and the Izzet counterburn decks. I haven't decided on a final version for what I want to run, but I can tell you this; it ain't got Channeler in it.

WanderingWind

Considering that Blogatog had a bunch of posts about how they are no longer going to try using Standard sets to reprint in-demand Modern cards...

aazadan asked: When the core sets were removed, you said reprints would happen more aggressively. Yet with BFZ block now fully known we can see that the cards which most needed the reprints like IoK, and Goblin Guide couldn't be reprinted due to power level concerns. Is R&D going to reconsider the power level Standard is being maintained at so that reprints can actually happen?

We’re going to obviously talk about what to do with reprints, but Standard-legal sets is just one avenue for us to explore.

Daedardus

SyggCombo_zpsbg7ryrf0.png

How's this combo for my Merfolk EDH deck? Infinite mana, infinite draws, and infinite untaps. Wake Thrasher on the field can become ridiculously powerful. A tap/untap card paired with Daring Thief can essentially boardwipe creatures with enough chump tokens.

What am I missing here? I don't get how it's supposed to work. You know you can't even choose another mode since the spell is modal and isn't actually targeting anything except the player?

Wichu

What am I missing here? I don't get how it's supposed to work. You know you can't even choose another mode since the spell is modal and isn't actually targeting anything except the player?

Turnabout isn't modal. You choose the permanent type and whether to tap or untap on resolution.

WanderingWind

I know I shat on them pretty hard, but I find it at least somewhat encouraging that is seems to have gotten through that their current reprint policies are garbage. I hope it's an honest talk with some actual action and not just "Hey, we good bros?"

It just doesnt't fit the lore, man.

lol. Which would be doubly crap because Caverns didn't fit the lore real well the first time around. It seemed purposely vague and universal for the purposes of future reprintablity. I'm kicking myself for not jumping on it. I told y'all to do it when it was 5 bucks and never jumped on it then myself. Healer, heal thy self.

Daedardus

Turnabout isn't modal. You choose the permanent type and whether to tap or untap on resolution.

Hmm, I see. The new wording isn't clear though, I thought the word choose followed by options was enough. So it actually needs to reference the exact amount to be modal? The rules aren't clear about this.

WanderingWind

So, the set is known. What did the Gatewatch do, exactly? Kozilek and Ulamog are still wandering around eating Zendikar, right? Did the super friends just peace out?

So, the set is known. What did the Gatewatch do, exactly? Kozilek and Ulamog are still wandering around eating Zendikar, right? Did the super friends just peace out?

The rest of the story got summarized in the Art of Zendikar book (and it will get another summary in the Fat Pack booklet). Jace and Nissa use the leylines of Zendikar to create a seal to trap the titans on Zendikar, Gideon and NPCs fight off spawn, and Chandra burns the titans to death with help from Nissa's mana (basically Channel + Fireball). Well, "death", since the spawn are explicitly stated to still be around after the titans are incinerated, which should mean that the true forms of Kozilek and Ulamog are still alive.

The spawn are on the run now, and from the bodies of Kozilek and Ulamog, greenery blooms in the middle of the wastes. Jace decides to go to Innistrad to find Sorin and Nahiri, and the rest stay behind to fight the remaining spawn.

WanderingWind

The rest of the story got summarized in the Art of Zendikar book (and it will get another summary in the Fat Pack booklet). Jace and Nissa use the leylines of Zendikar to create a seal to trap the titans on Zendikar, Gideon and NPCs fight off spawn, and Chandra burns the titans to death with help from Nissa's mana (basically Channel + Fireball). Well, "death", since the spawn are explicitly stated to still be around after the titans are incinerated, which should mean that the true forms of Kozilek and Ulamog are still alive.

The spawn are on the run now, and from the bodies of Kozilek and Ulamog, greenery blooms in the middle of the wastes. Jace decides to go to Innistrad to find Sorin and Nahiri, and the rest stay behind to fight the remaining spawn.

Huh. I ain't even mad at that. Actually sounds pretty sweet. Like, teamwork that makes sense for each of the characters.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

They're supposed to be looking for Emrakul.

kirblar

I can't believe I'm saying this-

BUY A SET OF VAMPIRIC LINK NOW.

It's almost gone on TCGP, you can get it for 4-5 bux.

It's played in the Eldrazi deck's SB, and is a shifted PC uncommon, so there aren't a lot of copies.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I can't believe I'm saying this-

BUY A SET OF VAMPIRIC LINK NOW.

It's almost gone on TCGP, you can get it for 4-5 bux.

It's played in the Eldrazi deck's SB, and is a shifted PC uncommon, so there aren't a lot of copies.

I picked up a playset just because, but I really wonder how many of these random spikes for this deck are going to stay that way. The decklist is still far from solidified at this point, but I imagine after OGW, things will start to come together and then prices will stabilize a bit. Felt weird paying $5 for a playset of a random unproven common.

kirblar

I picked up a playset just because, but I really wonder how many of these random spikes for this deck are going to stay that way. The decklist is still far from solidified at this point, but I imagine after OGW, things will start to come together and then prices will stabilize a bit. Felt weird paying $5 for a playset of a random unproven common.
Card's legit, been used before.

This is just one that is going to shock people because it's pretty UTR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom