• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedardus

If people just wouldn't jump on every single time a card raises. I think you'll lose more money in the long term by buying many cards that may crash easily than actually paying the slight surplus once a card gets proven and the hype from the buyout subdues. It's like a run on the banks scenario every time and the biggest ones profiting from it are the online stores.

kirblar

If people just wouldn't jump on every single time a card raises. I think you'll lose more money in the long term by buying many cards that may crash easily than actually paying the slight surplus once a card gets proven and the hype from the buyout subdues. It's like a run on the banks scenario every time and the biggest ones profiting from it are the online stores.
Depends heavily on the card. I'm grabbing stuff (Crucible/Betrayal) I really should have picked up years ago, but didn't realize I needed to.

Daedardus

Depends heavily on the card. I'm grabbing stuff (Crucible/Betrayal) I really should have picked up years ago, but didn't realize I needed to.

Crucible of worlds is already a proven card with a known limited supply, so in that regard you are right that you should pick up stuff like that. I was more talking about those seemingly unknown rares that get played in a random deck that might or might not be proven competitive.

OnPoint

I totally get you, but you're asking for an unregulated secondary market driven entirely by price to exercise some caution so as to not inflate the value of cards. If there's money to be made, you can bet people will try to make it.

Daedardus

I totally get you, but you're asking for an unregulated secondary market driven entirely by price to exercise some caution so as to not inflate the value of cards. If there's money to be made, you can bet people will try to make it.

Oh, I know I cannot prevent people from spending or making decisions. I just want to warn others on here that you have to think twice before rushing in to a card if you have no actual intent on playing the card and just hope to make money. The physical nature of trading cards makes efficient trading a lot harder and slower. This is why short term trading of stocks is more feasible and even then a lot of people lose money on it.

OnPoint

I just looked up the price of Auriok Champion. I figured $10-$15.

But man. I was way, way behind the times on the value of this card.

I guess it's a good pick for oddly inflated card to 100% tank with MM2017.

The cards on mtgmirror are actually readable so I prefer this hah
The UI is a bit more annoying though, screen moves as you pick lands/cards, that's my only complaint

Wound up listing a ton of my Standard/Modern cards on Reddit

Don't really have any attachment to them, and I'm not the sort of person to sit on cards forever so I'll just get rid of them. Who knows, maybe I can get an extra month of rent out of the exchange.

The breaking point was that this season's RPTQ is Sealed, so I can play to qualify for PT Sydney without having to worry about Standard.

Also, I didn't notice Blinding Drone in OGW. I already thought that BFZ draft was weirdly similar to MM2, this is just going to exacerbate that.

I knew about it because I wanted one for my EDH deck a while back. Forget that.

Daedardus

God's Beard!";191872382][URL="https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/40fvcm/weekly_trading_thread_for_january_11_2016_trade/cyu1vjv said:
Wound up listing a ton of my Standard/Modern cards on Reddit[/URL]

Don't really have any attachment to them, and I'm not the sort of person to sit on cards forever so I'll just get rid of them. Who knows, maybe I can get an extra month of rent out of the exchange.

The breaking point was that this season's RPTQ is Sealed, so I can play to qualify for PT Sydney without having to worry about Standard.

What's the condition of your Snapcaster? And how much would shipping be to Western Europe?

ElyrionX

God's Beard!";191872382][URL="https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/40fvcm/weekly_trading_thread_for_january_11_2016_trade/cyu1vjv said:
Wound up listing a ton of my Standard/Modern cards on Reddit[/URL]

Also, I didn't notice Blinding Drone in OGW. I already thought that BFZ draft was weirdly similar to MM2, this is just going to exacerbate that.

I knew about it because I wanted one for my EDH deck a while back. Forget that.

So more EDH for you now?

ultron87

What does eldrazi displacer ability do in limited other than tap a minion, i feel like im missing something.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards/oath-of-the-gatewatch/26290-eldrazi-displacer

Tapping a creature (and multiple creatures if you have a bunch of mana) is already pretty good for Limited but it also kills tokens, knocks off Auras (both beneficial ones on opponent creatures and bad ones on your creatures), removes +1/+1 counters, reuses any of your creature's enter the battlefield effects, and makes it so they have to use removal on your Displacer before anything else if you have 3 mana open. All of that on a 3/3 for 3 is awesome.

So more EDH for you now?

Yeah, I already have three EDH decks, and the Erebos one up for sale is the one I play/work on the least. Also, I'm not gonna enter French tournaments so I took the Snapcaster and Force of Will out of my Vendilion Clique deck. The note at the bottom of my listing about getting ripped off on deckbox is by a guy I sent my last Force of Will to.

That said, I actually prefer playing Sealed to Standard. I enjoy limited more in general.

What's the condition of your Snapcaster? And how much would shipping be to Western Europe?

NM, depends on if you want tracking or not. As far as I can tell, shipping with tracking through USPS to Europe is pretty expensive.

That said, the last time I sent to Europe without tracking(Germany) it wound up taking like two months to get there and I was certain it had gotten lost in the mail.

It seems like this draftsim doesn't have wastes in it. Wastes have to be drafted, so thats mildly important.

Isn't that as it should be ?
Taken from the OP
Wastes are only going to appear in this set, and you must open them in your card pool. Limited games usually allow you to get basic lands from a land station that the store provides, but that won't be the case with Wastes

Tried drafting a bit and I feel like you don't need extra wastes actually, you have enough generators with those 3-4 lands and some cards generate <> too

I feel like ogw doesn't have many fat eldrazis compared to bfz, which is a bit annoying for some cards, namely kozilek's return. The fat cards are uncos or rares it seems, bfz had at least 3 fat eldrazis at common/unco I think

Daedardus

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191874458]NM, depends on if you want tracking or not. As far as I can tell, shipping with tracking through USPS to Europe is pretty expensive.

That said, the last time I sent to Europe without tracking(Germany) it wound up taking like two months to get there and I was certain it had gotten lost in the mail.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, tracking is expensive, but when I usually order singles untracked online I get them in five days shipped from America. I think they use First Class International, but I don't know if there's a difference between commercial rates and the rates you have to pay and if it gets hold up at customs or not. Maybe I'll just order one from a store, I need a Vendilion Clique too and maybe we're both better off if you just ship domestically.

Dropped out of MTG world once again due to lack of time/money to engage with the hobby.

Will likely pick up an Oath fat pack, due to the full art lands. Nothing's changed in regards to their inclusion in the FP since that Reddit confirmation a while back right?

Also I'm going to make a point of attending the Innistrad prerelease, since I'm busy for this one as ever!

Daedardus

Wastes take up 2 common slots in the set and don't get auto removed from the pack like normal basic lands. You have to pick them during the draft to have them. So for a draftsim to not have them at all is a bit of an issue.

So you have guaranteed two Wastes in your pack? And does one replace the other land slot are can you potentially have three full-art lands in a booster?

Santiako

From Wizards: Uncharted Realms is being renamed Official Magic Fiction, but is otherwise remaining exactly the same.

Way to remove all uniqueness lol

So you have guaranteed two Wastes in your pack? And does one replace the other land slot are can you potentially have three full-art lands in a booster?

Nono, you're not guaranteed 2 wastes. You could actually get no wastes at all, conceivably. There's a chance that 2 of the common slots in the pack will be wastes, thats all. They're treated like normal commons.

ultron87

It does slightly bother me that you could conceivably (even if it is nearly impossible) get a sealed pack with no wastes/colorless producers and have cards in your pool that are actually uncastable. Maybe they set up the print runs so that can't happen.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't have copies of Night of Souls' Betrayal because I assumed they were expensive to begin with even though they aren't

I bought in on them at 2000 pucapoints haha

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It does slightly bother me that you could conceivably (even if it is nearly impossible) get a sealed pack with no wastes/colorless producers and have cards in your pool that are actually uncastable. Maybe they set up the print runs so that can't happen.

The odds of not having any of the colorless mana producing cards is really low though - wastes is going to be super low priority given the number of better colorless mana producers, e.g. Hedron Lamp, the little crab guy, the large number of other non-basics that produce colorless, etc.

You have like 3 common lands that produce <> plus something else (any color mana for some counterpart) also some eldrazis and artifact produce <>, that won't be a problem imo
Only issue would be that eldrazi that gets +1/+0 or something for each wastes you have out.. eh

Angry Grimace

You have like 3 common lands that produce <> plus something else (any color mana for some counterpart) also some eldrazis and artifact produce <>, that won't be a problem imo
Only issue would be that eldrazi that gets +1/+0 or something for each wastes you have out.. eh

I mean, if you get three of those guys, you can start valuing wastes a little higher but for the most part I think wastes are probably P14-15. Even in a moderately colorless-heavy deck I don't find it that likely you want more than 4 or 5 sources of it because there are so few cards that require &#9830;&#9830; - literally Kozilek (which you should draft and not play, tbh) and Endbringer's activated ability.

Edit: Post is not edit whoops

VVVVVV It was actually 12 years ago

Major changes to the Daily MTG (Mothership) articles.
* Making Magic and Latest Developments are staying exactly the same. Uncharted Realms will have the same format and content, but will be called Official Magic Fiction.
* All other articles are gone, including Arcana.
* Instead, the current suite of article authors and various new ones will produce one-off articles throughout the week on various topics. So LSV could do one article about drafting Oath of the Gatewatch, and his next one could be about Modern. You can think of this as MM, LD, and ... OMF being the only regular articles, and everything else being a Feature article.
* The new articles won't be published at a consistent time, but will be put up throughout the day. Somehow they spun this to be about better reflecting how people have been reading the articles at their own time and pace.
* They also intend to link to select articles on other Magic websites.

Here is the first of the new articles, Prerelease Stories.

Angry Grimace

PVDDR had an interesting take on ramp where he suggested that Jaddi Offshoot should be boarded on the assumption that the aggro matchup is unwinnable game 1 and to play more Sylvan Scrying instead. I think he's off the mark. I don't even know that I think Sylvan Scrying is a good card in the deck. I feel like Nissa, Vastwood Seer has been a better, similar option too often.

ultron87

I ended up getting the Zendikar art book. I haven't had a chance to read much of it, but just flipping through it it seems quite nice. Lots of full page versions of the art to see all the little details in.

Haines

Banned
Any good articles about oath that would help me prepare for first prerelease.

Im nervous about it being super jam packed and a bad experience but if it does go south i figure i can just leave,

ultron87

Any good articles about oath that would help me prepare for first prerelease.

Im nervous about it being super jam packed and a bad experience but if it does go south i figure i can just leave,

Some Oath specific ones should come out this week. Daily MTG should have one that covers the fundamentals and PVDDR over on Channel Fireball usually writes one that is quite good as well and has some more substantive stuff to say about colors and cards.

If you want something now the Daily MTG one for BFZ should cover a lot of the same fundamentals. It also links a bunch of other articles you can read that talk about playing/building for sealed:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/battle-zendikar-prerelease-primer-2015-09-21

Also, don't worry! Prereleases are super fun and are generally when the largest portion of the community comes out for stuff. So you'll get all kinds of people and most will just be there to have a good time.

Yeef

Don't forget, Scions add <> when sacrificed.

bigkrev

I ended up getting the Zendikar art book. I haven't had a chance to read much of it, but just flipping through it it seems quite nice. Lots of full page versions of the art to see all the little details in.

How much original Zen vs new Zen? The new art is mostly terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom