• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not going to lie, kind of happy Jaddi offshoot is leaving the main board for GR Ramp. It means my White Weenies can do their work(I lost hard to GR a few months ago and I'm salty as I didn't know the deck).

Hero

It can be used for other things later, but holy shit does it do the job of moving the Eldrazi to "more than just big fatties" that they badly needed.

I really should have jumped on the $2 World Breaker preorders, lol (just got a set for 3 each, I trust in GB's judgement.)

What else are people pre-ordering? Any floor-ish targets that might have room to grow?

Ashodin

Been brewing a standard equipment deck. It's aaaaalmost there I think, just needs some oomph maybe from SoI.

Still running by all the permutations, but I'm feeling maybe Jeskai colors are the best bet, or just boros.

Deck: Hero's Relics
w.gif
u.gif
r.gif

//Main
4 Relic Seeker
4 Hangarback Walker
4 Kytheon, Hero of Akros
4 Zurgo Bellstriker
2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
4 Renowned Weaponsmith

4 Hero's Blade
4 Ride Down
4 Exquisite Firecraft
4 Pyromancer's Goggles

4 Battlefield Forge
4 Flooded Strand
2 Island
4 Mountain
4 Plains
4 Shivan Reef

Display deck statistics

I'm actually surprised how many weenie legendaries there are atm, which means Hero's Blade can get out and get going quickly. Also I feel like weaponsmith can help cast equips + pyromancer's goggles for burn finishers. You can turn 3 a goggles with this setup.

Matriox

Wasn't Rabblemaster the BaB promo too? Wouldn't be a bad one to get out ahead of.

Yeh but core sets have a higher upside to sleepers than block products, but this will be a short lived block before SoI drops so who knows. I'm also skeptical about running playsets of the goblin compared to rabblemaster, but $2 is a cheap buy in for a potentially crazy card.

Haines

Banned
So I have to wonder if splashing wastes in limited will be worth it. Or even prioritizing waste making cards.

Just feels like there's a bit of a trap there.

When does innistrad come out again?

So I have to wonder if splashing wastes in limited will be worth it. Or even prioritizing waste making cards.

Just feels like there's a bit of a trap there.

When does innistrad come out again?
There is a trap there, which actually is part of the reason why you draft them instead of taking them from land stations (with the main reason being distribution logistics).

Shadows over Innistrad comes out on April 8, so previews will be during the second half of March.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I bought them for myself whenever Bitterblossom was unbanned.

Also I can't remember if it was mentioned but Phyrexian Altar is $36 now.

7580.jpg

Where is that played that's causing this spike? I can always use more of these for EDH. Wondering if I should grab another before they are out of my grasp.

God's Beard!";191872382][URL="https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/40fvcm/weekly_trading_thread_for_january_11_2016_trade/cyu1vjv said:
Wound up listing a ton of my Standard/Modern cards on Reddit[/URL]

I'm interested in these...
1x Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2x Chord of Calling (M15, ENG)
?x Simian Spirit Guide

OnPoint

Just bought a heavily played Phyrexian Altar for my Marchesa EDH deck because it was relatively cheap. Didn't even know that existed.

Yeh but core sets have a higher upside to sleepers than block products, but this will be a short lived block before SoI drops so who knows. I'm also skeptical about running playsets of the goblin compared to rabblemaster, but $2 is a cheap buy in for a potentially crazy card.

All true. I figure small set + high upside means it will at least leave $2 in the dust.

Lucario

Started playing "trash vintage" with a few friends and it's hilarious.

Only cards rated <=2.0 on gatherer (and basic lands) are legal. We considered adding guildgates to the format, but decided to keep it simple. Card pool is kept in place too, since the rating system on gatherer doesn't work.

Decks that have performed well so far:

Psionic Entity "Combo":

Image.ashx
+
Image.ashx

(Clog the board up with defensive creatures like Monastery Flock, clear the board with pingers, eventually win with pinging or a large flier)

Gruul Meteor Storm:

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

(Efficient green creatures, reach with Geist Trapper and Tuknir, and red burn. Shock, Inferno Trap, and Torrent of Stone are all in here for some reason. Eventually closes out games by discarding lands to Meteor Storm.)

Spineless Thugs:

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

(It's just terrible mono black aggro. Zombie Cutthroat is basically tarmogoyf, Andradite Leech and Ebon Drake are the MVPs.)

This format is way more fun than it has any right to be. Here's a link to the legal cards:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&rating=+>[0]+<=[2]

Where is that played that's causing this spike? I can always use more of these for EDH. Wondering if I should grab another before they are out of my grasp.

Feels like the community at large is just making a run at everything that moves right now. I was thinking about Sun Droplet for this idiotic casual deck I'm building and went to go check around. Basically sold out on all the usual suspects that I use. I know it's a sideboard card in some decks, but still.

Unless they had the stock already, which they do, as that is their entire business model. And volume is the great equalizer. It's not as if these things are limited to one card at a time.

My point is that having a card show up at a terrible price in the market is only half the battle; you also have to get people to actually buy it. If you already have a big supply of a card, sure, mark it up and see who you can get to bite; but if you have to buy out other stores to get it to spike, you lose money if you wind up marking all your inventory down again. It's just not worth it for random trash cards that probably won't stick anywhere.

"It was supposed to be but it did not work well in the MM17 limited environment so we removed it"

I don't think this is actually a reason they've cited for leaving anything people care about out of one of those sets. Not being able to print cards in Standard is a real (albeit annoying) issue, but they have a lot of flexibility on any one card in a set that only ever plays by itself.

Why didn't they fire everyone on the lore team? Seriously, it reads like bad fanfiction.

I mean, the actual job of these people is to create the worlds and characters that fill up the cards, look sexy on the packaging, and get licensed out to the subsidiary merchandise, all of which they're honestly quite good at. The short stories are primarily for an audience that doesn't actually mind if they're poorly written and just there to support the storyline that most players are getting directly from the cards or other materials.

This is a pretty close to exact blunt translation of what WotC says about these sets when they say that their purpose is to "increase supply."

The format's been around for years, though under a different name I can't recall (Gatherer-Horrible?).

Close, Gatherer-Terrible. Shawn Main came up with it.

y2dvd

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191933417]Worldbreaker is insane.The fact that it triggers Sanctum is enough to make it better than the Dragonlord in my mind.[/QUOTE]

When is Worldbreaker insane tho? It doesn't profitably block D-Atarka, it takes a land just to get it back at hand when you are trying to reserve as much lands to get to Ulamog as possible, it can't answer a bunch of creatures on the board, it has no evasions.

Vs mirror. Best case scenario is WB hits one of the splash colors. That really only hits D-Atarka which most decks runs only 2 mb anyways. If I get D-Atarka in play before your WB, I'm feeling gravy. Take 8 (on top of the 5 from etb), or take 1 dmg through trample dmg if blocking with WB, my guy still survives, you sac a land just to get WB back and it slows you down a turn from casting Ulamog.

Vs Control. Control runs so many lands, it doesn't care to lose 1. You aren't really gonna hit any artifacts or enchantments. Sure, it may slow down dragons from attacking, but they mb Crux of Fate, which made it a weird card from them to hold onto if they have Otujai and we have Atarka on the board. Control also runs Utter Ends so you may not even get to bring WB back to hand. WB doesn't even answer PW either. At least with D-Atarka, you have the chance of finishing one off at 5 loyalty counters.

pigeon

Banned
This is a pretty close to exact blunt translation of what WotC says about these sets when they say that their purpose is to "increase supply."

I dunno, I thought WotC was trying to say "our business model includes siphoning value out of the secondary market."

Somebody else likened trading Magic cards for money to day-trading stocks. I would say it's a little like that but if the stock exchange could look at whatever stock was most valuable that day and print up a bunch of it to sell itself.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
When is Worldbreaker insane tho? It doesn't profitably block D-Atarka, it takes a land just to get it back at hand when you are trying to reserve as much lands to get to Ulamog as possible, it can't answer a bunch of creatures on the board, it has no evasions.

Vs mirror. Best case scenario is WB hits one of the splash colors. That really only hits D-Atarka which most decks runs only 2 mb anyways. If I get D-Atarka in play before your WB, I'm feeling gravy. Take 8 (on top of the 5 from etb), or take 1 dmg through trample dmg if blocking with WB, my guy still survives, you sac a land just to get WB back and it slows you down a turn from casting Ulamog.

Vs Control. Control runs so many lands, it doesn't care to lose 1. You aren't really gonna hit any artifacts or enchantments. Sure, it may slow down dragons from attacking, but they mb Crux of Fate, which made it a weird card from them to hold onto if they have Otujai and we have Atarka on the board. Control also runs Utter Ends so you may not even get to bring WB back to hand. WB doesn't even answer PW either. At least with D-Atarka, you have the chance of finishing one off at 5 loyalty counters.
...it's because WB can infinitely resurrect itself and block Ojutai and gets its value trigger off even if it's countered. Atarka doesn't see play other than in other ramp decks so you don't have to worry about blocking it.

It's just better than Atarka because of the specific synergies. Lots of ramp decks are going to be main boarding Kozilek's Return, so playing World Breaker lets you stabilize at a reduced mana cost plus exile a land on its way in.

Bit of a stupid question but I'm not sure so I'd rather ask
Say a land have "add one mana of any color to your mana pool", can this mana be colorless ? Or is that an exception ?
I'm 99% sure it can't be but I just want someone to confirm hah

Bit of a stupid question but I'm not sure so I'd rather ask
Say a land have "add one mana of any color to your mana pool", can this mana be colorless ? Or is that an exception ?
I'm 99% sure it can't be but I just want someone to confirm hah

Colorless is not a color, so no you can not tap this for colorless.

kirblar

Is there a good reason why the R/G ramp deck isn't playing 4 Warping Wail? The ability to use it to ritual from 2->4 is huge. (Or 2 to 3 if you miss a land drop and have pilgrimage)

G.ZZZ

Seems like WotC is forbidding any kind of proxy action in any WCS store, sanctioned or non-sanctioned, that mean even testing with proxies in a shop is a no-go anymore, and Vintage and Legacy are officially killed off for good. Love this consumer friendly-company, i feel good now about not giving them a cents in the last 10 years.

Seems like WotC is forbidding any kind of proxy action in any WCS store, sanctioned or non-sanctioned, that mean even testing with proxies in a shop is a no-go anymore, and Vintage and Legacy are officially killed off for good. Love this consumer friendly-company, i feel good now about not giving them a cents in the last 10 years.

Link with details? Seems impossible to enforce.

bigkrev

"It was supposed to be but it did not work well in the MM17 limited environment so we removed it"

They put Daybreak Coronet in MM15 with 2 auras that aren't removal spells- and one of them is Splinter Twin.. They are willing to print unplayable limited cards in the rare slot

Any feedback on people who tried drafting with sims ?
RB kinda-agro eldrazi seems nice imo, and UR surge control sounds cool too
Ally really seems to suck unless you pull that good rare cohort one, otherwise they don't seem interesting at all

Colorless doesn't seem to work too well by itself
I really like maw of kozilek as a common

Yeef

I don't think this is really a thing. Someone posted in the WPN Facebook group a couple months ago asking about non-sanctioned proxies events and players playing with proxies in the store when they're not even in an event. Of course, Paul Hagan, stuck to the party line that Wizards is anti-proxy in all situations. I highly doubt that anything will come of it though. More than likely this this is just some stores who read that thread being overly-cautious.

ultron87

Link with details? Seems impossible to enforce.

I don't think this is really a thing. Someone posted in the WPN Facebook group a couple months ago asking about non-sanctioned proxies events and players playing with proxies in the store when they're not even in an event. Of course, Paul Hagan, stuck to the party line that Wizards is anti-proxy in all situations. I highly doubt that anything will come of it though. More than likely this this is just some stores who read that thread being overly-cautious.

The current concern was caused by a store owner getting contacted by Wizards and being reportedly told that having non-sanctioned proxy events (or possibly people playing with proxies at all) in their store would be risking their WPN status.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/445059535582036/permalink/962954593792525/

Is there a good reason why the R/G ramp deck isn't playing 4 Warping Wail? The ability to use it to ritual from 2->4 is huge. (Or 2 to 3 if you miss a land drop and have pilgrimage)
This is one of the first things I brought up when the card was spoiled. All my lists have had 4. The synergy with hedron archive is so good.

Yeef

The current concern was caused by a store owner getting contacted by Wizards and being reportedly told that having non-sanctioned proxy events (or possibly people playing with proxies at all) in their store would be risking their WPN status.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/445059535582036/permalink/962954593792525/
Reading through that thread, it sounds like someone apparently called Wizards complaining about proxies. It also seems like that store has a online stream where they broadcast their events, which may have opened them up to more scrutiny both from Wizards directly and from people who are anti-proxy sending in a complaint.

OnPoint

With BW Tokens making a splash at the last SCG tourney and Auriok Champion getting a bump, what other cards might see a kick? I'm thinking Bitterblossom might be a target at some point.

With BW Tokens making a splash at the last SCG tourney and Auriok Champion getting a bump, what other cards might see a kick? I'm thinking Bitterblossom might be a target at some point.

I dunno, but I'm selling my Lantern Control deck. A lot of the cards like Bridge and IoK took a big jump and I'm not entering Modern events any time soon so I figure I'd get the cash now.

The thing is worth more than 800 TCG mid, that's a lot for a pile of Codex Shredders.

Besides, I need to start playing faster decks. As fun as keeping CoCo players off 4 mana is, I get really annoyed when I can't win in time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They just want them to not run sanctioned proxy events that's it.

Yeef

They just want them to not run sanctioned proxy events that's it.
The events that store were running with proxies were unsanctioned vintage event.

Wizards doesn't want anyone to use proxies at all. They don't even call them proxies, they call them counterfeits. I think most people at Wizards realize that, because of the reserved list, proxies are a necessary evil for older formats in paper, but just turn a blind eye to it. But when someone contacts them directly, they have to give an outward appearance of diligence, as they did in this case.

Angry Grimace

They arent doing that.

What they are doing is showing proxies on twitch. WotC is really anal about them - mentioninng proxies is what got Robles fired years back.

I'm using the word "sanctioned" wrong - Im taking about actual organized tournaments at WPN stores. I just mean that I don't think this is some shift in official policy - they might tell you proxies are illegal for home use but I hardly think they mean "don't write 'World Breaker'" on a Plains or something to test a new version of a deck or that the black helicopters are coming for your cube. An "official" tournament in store that uses proxies was always probably illegal for WPN stores.

I think that proxies have been anathema the whole time per official policy it just comes up because some guy reported it or it otherwise came to their attention.

kirblar

It likely came to their attention when they started streaming weekly on Twitch. That was mindboggingly dumb on the stores part.

I've been tutoring for Kozilek a lot more than Ulamog lately. Getting 5/6 cards after you've exhausted your hand ramping just ends the game.

Discarding Kozilek's Return to counter anything is just gross.

When you play Kozilek and suddenly your hand has a 2, 3 and 4 drop it just makes you feel unbeatable.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";191981648]I've been tutoring for Kozilek a lot more than Ulamog lately. Getting 5/6 cards after you've exhausted your hand ramping just ends the game.

Discarding Kozilek's Return to counter anything is just gross.

When you play Kozilek and suddenly your hand has a 2, 3 and 4 drop just makes you feel unbeatable.[/QUOTE]
I really didn't like having two Kozileks. Maybe if discard becomes an issue, but he really seemed to get stuck in my hand a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom