• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever internal shake-up went down behind the scenes at WOTC, the PR department got dicked over. I can't see how any of the nonsense with judge bannings and proxy crackdowns is going to help them in either the long or short term.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Whatever internal shake-up went down behind the scenes at WOTC, the PR department got dicked over. I can't see how any of the nonsense with judge bannings and proxy crackdowns is going to help them in either the long or short term.

They don't care because players will keep buying product

OnPoint

They don't care because players will keep buying product

What percentage of players do you thing even know about this? Then, what percentage of THOSE do you think even care? I would wager the amount of knowledge we have in this thread represents a smaller share of players than we know and that most Magic customers don't know, and of those that do, most don't care.

Kyne

Hey gals and girls.

I was going to make my own topic but then I saw this one and figured I'd try my luck here..

I have about $2,500 worth of Magic Cards and I'm trying to sell them. I know that doing singles w/ protective casing is probably the best way to go about it, but does anyone here have any experience doing that? Any recommended sites like Ebay/TCGPlayer?

Any advice would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

I mean you can just cast Bring to Light for it also but nobody does that

Bring to Light doesn't come with a 4/4 evasive body and doesn't require at least 3 colors in the deck though.

GDD is also more mana efficient when you're going for something that actually costs 3 or less.

And they're both in the same color, which while minor is still a small point in its favor.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bring to Light doesn't come with a 4/4 evasive body and doesn't require at least 3 colors in the deck though.

GDD is also more mana efficient when you're going for something that actually costs 3 or less.

And they're both in the same color, which while minor is still a small point in its favor.

GDD also costs 5 and requires B//B to be in your Graveyard to work so I'm struggling to see how it would work

There are a few ways to break the symmetry of the Boom half of Boom//Bust, such as Flagstones of Trokair, Darksteel Citadel, or just with Fetchlands. The first two also dodge the Bust half. Just lean into it and go full-on troll.

4x Stone Rain
4x Molten Rain
4x Rain of Tears
4x Boom//Bust

4x Simian Spirit Guide
4x Fulminator Mage
4x Goblin Dark Dwellers

4x Thoughtseize
3x Lightning Bolt

4x Darksteel Citadel
21x Other Lands

Results not guaranteed

Firemind

The neat thing about Boom // Bust is that you can Boom the basics if you're also playing Blood Moon. With fetches, it's basically Stone Rain with kicker.

OnPoint

Eldrazi Displacer's ability + Sundial of the Infinite = permanently exiled, right? That's a fun end-of-turn combo for modern.

Santiako

Eldrazi Displacer's ability + Sundial of the Infinite = permanently exiled, right? That's a fun end-of-turn combo for modern.

How? There's no opening to activate the sundial before the creature comes back, right?

635875020627095236.png

OnPoint

I mean, with Venser, O-Ring, Flickerwisp, and Geist of St Traft (plus others) you can still do stupid things with Sundial if you really want to in Modern.

Yeah, I used to have a deck that did stuff like that when Venser the PW was standard legal. I think Scars-Inn was my favorite standard ever.

My favorite standard ever was Saga/Masques. There were so many viable archetypes (at least at my shop). You had Rebels, Stompy, Angry Hermit, Yawgmoth's Bargain combo, Enchantress, Mono Brown, Mono red land destruction, Mono black Napster, Replenish combo... The list goes on. Those were the days

Firemind

My favorite standard ever was Saga/Masques. There were so many viable archetypes (at least at my shop). You had Rebels, Stompy, Angry Hermit, Yawgmoth's Bargain combo, Enchantress, Mono Brown, Mono red land destruction, Mono black Napster, Replenish combo... The list goes on. Those were the days
RIP t3 deranged hermit, gaea's cradle, plow under

Matriox

[
Deck: Mardu Control

Counts : 60 main / 15 sideboard

Creatures:7
2 Soulfire Grand Master
4 Goblin Dark-Dwellers
1 Linvala, the Preserver

Spells:27
4 Duress
2 Fiery Impulse
1 Roast
1 Valorous Stance
4 Crackling Doom
3 Kolaghan's Command
2 Kozilek's Return
2 Read the Bones
1 Ruinous Path
2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited
1 Planar Outburst
1 Chandra, Flamecaller

Lands:26
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Canopy Vista
4 Mountain
1 Needle Spires
2 Nomad Outpost
2 Plains
4 Shambling Vent
2 Smoldering Marsh
4 Swamp
2 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:15
2 Rending Volley
1 Roast
2 Surge of Righteousness
2 Transgress the Mind
2 Infinite Obliteration
1 Kozilek's Return
1 Read the Bones
2 Crumble to Dust
1 Utter End
1 Planar Outburst

Idk what I'm doing.

Daedardus

I'm trying to get someone into Magic, but I need a second deck to be able to teach her the basics. Since I don't have a lot of (useful) cards, I need to construct a whole new deck from scratch. What's the best archetype to build on a budget that makes it easy to understand the basics, but that is complex enough to actually have a chance of winning if I go slowly? I was thinking of modern Abzan/Junk since it doesn't really rely on a complex combo, while the base cards are still affordable but useful. It's mostly Goyf, Liliana and the fetches that make it expensive, but she doesn't really need them. Unless someone else has a better idea?

ultron87

I'm trying to get someone into Magic, but I need a second deck to be able to teach her the basics. Since I don't have a lot of (useful) cards, I need to construct a whole new deck from scratch. What's the best archetype to build on a budget that makes it easy to understand the basics, but that is complex enough to actually have a chance of winning if I go slowly? I was thinking of modern Abzan/Junk since it doesn't really rely on a complex combo, while the base cards are still affordable but useful. It's mostly Goyf, Liliana and the fetches that make it expensive, but she doesn't really need them. Unless someone else has a better idea?

You probably don't want to start with anything resembling a competitive deck. Magic is a pretty complex game even when you're just casting relatively simple spells and creatures and running them into each other. It wouldn't be the worst idea to have her play one of the Duels games before playing paper. They're pretty good at teaching the basic rules and concepts and the fact that they handle a lot of minutiae automatically is nice for learning.

Wulfric

I have about $2,500 worth of Magic Cards and I'm trying to sell them. I know that doing singles w/ protective casing is probably the best way to go about it, but does anyone here have any experience doing that? Any recommended sites like Ebay/TCGPlayer?

Your best bet would be to find a LGS to sell them to. You can get rid of the collection quickly this way. Channel Fireball and Star City Games pay cash for cards as well, although obviously not as much as they would in store credit. eBay fees have gone through the roof as of late, so you get dinged quite a bit on cards that are already low value. On TCGPlayer you have the issue of competing with literally dozens of sellers. On top of that you're almost assuredly getting the TCGLow price for near mint cards.

I would rank the methods of dumping a collection like this:
1. LGS/local dealers (no shipping costs, fast)
2. Channel Fireball/SCG (shipping costs add up, less cash up front)
3. eBay/TCGPlayer (fees, fees, fees. I would recommend this option only for more expensive cards)

Daedardus

You probably don't want to start with anything resembling a competitive deck. Magic is a pretty complex game even when you're just casting relatively simple spells and creatures and running them into each other. It wouldn't be the worst idea to have her play one of the Duels games before playing paper. They're pretty good at teaching the basic rules and concepts and the fact that they handle a lot of minutiae automatically is nice for learning.

So you'd suggest just an intro deck or something along those lines? Because I thought that things like Siege Rhino, Scavening Ooze, Kitchen Finks aren't really more complex than the stuff found in those decks. If you just complement those with a not too complex mana base and some removal and enchantment spells, you'd get a solid base to learn from, in my opinion. The problem I have with the Duels is that the opponent cheats a lot and is hard to beat because you get an underpowered deck. In that way having a human explaining things would certainly help.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

Zoo? Or maybe a mono Green ramp deck? New players tend to like big creatures, and any deck that focuses on learning the mechanics of combat and the stack would provide a good learning experience.

Adaren

Duels is a great way to learn, especially if you have someone to ask for advice or explanation. It's great for visualizing the more abstract parts of the game (turn phases, combat steps, the stack, priority, etc.), and you might even pick up on some tricky interactions based on how the computer plays! The tutorials are solid too, and you're actually encouraged to do them since they give a boatload of gold.

As you pointed out, the main campaign can give you occasional RNG loses, but I don't think it's ever so unfair that it would take more than 3 tries to clear an opponent (especially if you're playing together). An experienced Magic player is probably more likely to get frustrated than a new player, to be honest.

And if you want to go paper, I'll echo the other posters by suggesting you don't try to build competitive decks. Start with things similar to WotC's starter decks, which have clear and concrete themes and a variety of cards.

OnPoint

I was thinking about how it would be cool if green had a fog effect to surprise a Twin player with when they're tapped out. I keep trying to envision cards that take the Force of Will / Pact cycle idea of 0 cost with drawback, but these are surprisingly hard to create. (Of course, I've thought about how hard these drawbacks would be to track in a realistic setting -- no need to mention that as a flaw here).

The idea I had was cards that give you an effect, but it cost something dear to you. Like, say, the (good) phases of a turn. So something like:

Acquiesce (1)(G)

Instant
Prevent all combat damage done by
creatures this turn.
You may pay ( 0 ) instead of paying
Acquiesce's casting cost. If you do,
skip your next turn's main phases.​

My idea is that since green likes to cast at sorcery speed, this would be a huge sacrifice for them to pay for such an effect, though I'm not sure if you can actually skip the main phases of a turn in the rules.

Maybe something like this for blue, since the FoW effect is the easiest to imagine and people have been begging for something like it in Modern (though this is obviously probably way too good for forcing combo through):

Obduration (3)(U)(U)

Instant
Counter target spell.
Obduration's casting cost. If you do,
skip your next Untap phase.​

Red's identity is dealing damage and shitty card draw, so let's go ahead and highlight both with this one:

Pyrogenesis (3)(R)(R)

Instant
Deal 4 damage to target creature or
player.
Pyrogenesis' casting cost. If you do,
skip your next draw phase.​

White likes to swing in with weenies sometimes? And protect stuff? So here's a thought for white.

Strength of Soul (1)(W)(W)

Instant
Creatures you control are indestructable
until the end of the turn.
Strength of Soul's casting cost. If you do,
skip your next combat phase.​

Where I'm stuck, though, is Black. Honestly, all the other phases that would be costly to the player to skip are gone. I'm left with Upkeep and End Step to skip, and I don't like either of those options that much. I could leave it as an incomplete cycle, but that also feels bad. Maybe flipping the idea around is better, and make the card do something costly, but let you skip something like your upkeep phase at a cost? Black likes to cheat, let's use that to our advantage.

Rite of Refusal (B)(B)(B)

Instant
Target player sacrifices two creatures.
you must target yourself and you skip your
next Upkeep phase.​

I guess that's a good way to stretch to make it fit, but I can totally see why they have such a hard time making whole cycles good set after set after set.

ultron87

So you'd suggest just an intro deck or something along those lines? Because I thought that things like Siege Rhino, Scavening Ooze, Kitchen Finks aren't really more complex than the stuff found in those decks. If you just complement those with a not too complex mana base and some removal and enchantment spells, you'd get a solid base to learn from, in my opinion. The problem I have with the Duels is that the opponent cheats a lot and is hard to beat because you get an underpowered deck. In that way having a human explaining things would certainly help.

It's just that if someone has never played a game of Magic before (and especially if they haven't played any similar games) the card Grizzly Bears is pretty complicated. Simply looking at that you've got to explain what the mana cost means (1 green mana, 1 generic mana), what creatures are, and what power and toughness are (which extends you into combat and attacking and blocking and etc). So it is better to start with a vanilla creature like that instead of Siege Rhino where, in addition to that other stuff, you have explain how multiple mana colors work, what Trample is, and how the triggered enter the battlefield ability works. Kitchen Finks and Scavenging Ooze are an additional level of complexity beyond that.

A couple rares in the deck being more complicated is fine, but say if you give someone the creature/spell base of an Abzan deck every card has some fancy new mechanic on it which could quickly become overwhelming if the new player is just coming to terms with how paying for spells and basic creatures and spells work. Even the intro decks pile stuff on a bit fast for someone's first time in my opinion. At least with those you're probably just getting one or two set specific keywords plus evergreens.

The little 30 card mono-color "learn Magic" packs that stores sometimes have might be the best pre packaged thing to use.

A lot of this does depend on the board/card game experience of the player in question. If they've played a bunch of Hearthstone or whatever you can certainly ramp stuff up faster.

alternade

I was thinking about how it would be cool if green had a fog effect to surprise a Twin player with when they're tapped out. I keep trying to envision cards that take the Force of Will / Pact cycle idea of 0 cost with drawback, but these are surprisingly hard to create. (Of course, I've thought about how hard these drawbacks would be to track in a realistic setting -- no need to mention that as a flaw here).

The idea I had was cards that give you an effect, but it cost something dear to you. Like, say, the (good) phases of a turn. So something like:

Acquiesce (1)(G)

Instant
Prevent all combat damage done by
creatures this turn.
Acquiesce's casting cost. If you do,
skip your next turn's main phases.​

My idea is that since green likes to cast at sorcery speed, this would be a huge sacrifice for them to pay for such an effect, though I'm not sure if you can actually skip the main phases of a turn in the rules.

Maybe something like this for blue, since the FoW effect is the easiest to imagine and people have been begging for something like it in Modern (though this is obviously probably way too good for forcing combo through):

Obduration (3)(U)(U)

Instant
Counter target spell.
Obduration's casting cost. If you do,
skip your next Untap phase.​

Red's identity is dealing damage and shitty card draw, so let's go ahead and highlight both with this one:

Pyrogenesis (3)(R)(R)

Instant
Deal 4 damage to target creature or
player.
Pyrogenesis' casting cost. If you do,
skip your next draw phase.​

White likes to swing in with weenies sometimes? And protect stuff? So here's a thought for white.

Strength of Soul (1)(W)(W)

Instant
Creatures you control are indestructable
until the end of the turn.
skip your next combat phase.​

Where I'm stuck, though, is Black. Honestly, all the other phases that would be costly to the player to skip are gone. I'm left with Upkeep and End Step to skip, and I don't like either of those options that much. I could leave it as an incomplete cycle, but that also feels bad. Maybe flipping the idea around is better, and make the card do something costly, but let you skip something like your upkeep phase at a cost? Black likes to cheat, let's use that to our advantage.

Rite of Refusal (B)(B)(B)

Instant
Target player sacrifices two creatures.
you must target yourself and you skip your
next Upkeep phase.​

I guess that's a good way to stretch to make it fit, but I can totally see why they have such a hard time making whole cycles good set after set after set.

Red looks way too strong. I don't think a burn deck will care to draw cards if they have 8-12 points of damage in their hands for free.

Black I would have them cast for free if they lose life equal to the CMC of the creatures target player sacrifices? Missing a main/draw/combat step doesnt really hurt black that much. Maybe they cant cast noncreature spells or activate noncreature permanent abilities until their next endstep.

Oh! Oh! I have exactly the thing for this! I designed beginner decks. They're in the middle of editing, so they're not quite finalized, but they should work.

Beginner decks
==(white)-blue - soldiers==
(White creatures)
2x Elite Vanguard - Creature - W - vanilla creature
2x Raise the Alarm - Instant - 1W - get two soldier tokens
= 4
2x Sungrace Pegasus - Creature - 1W - flying, lifelink
2x War Priest of Thune - Creature - 1W - destroy enchantment on enter
= 8
2x Attended Knight - Creature - 2W - first strike, get soldier on enter
2x Banisher Priest - Creature - 1WW - exile creature until leaves battlefield
= 12
2x Seraph of Dawn - Creature - 2WW - flying, lifelink
2x Serra Angel - Creature - 3WW - flying, vigilance
= 16
1x Captain of the Watch - Creature - 4WW - soldier lord, get soldiers on enter
1x Angelic Arbiter - Creature - 5WW - big flying, opponent can't both attack and cast
= 20
(Other white cards)
2x Rebuke - Instant - 2W - destroy attacking creature
2x Glorious Anthem - Enchantment - 1WW - creature booster
= 24
2x Day of Judgment - Sorcery - 2WW - destroy all creatures
= 26
(Equipment)
2x Greatsword - Equipment - 3 - boost power (NOTE: This is one I expect to replace, since it's the only artifact card in any deck)
= 28
(Blue creatures)
2x Stealer of Secrets - Creature - 2U - draw card when do damage
= 30
(Other blue cards)
2x Spectral Flight - Enchantment - 1U - aura to give flying and boost
2x Military Intelligence - Enchantment - 1U - draw card when attack with 2+ creatures
= 34
3x Divination - Sorcery - 2U - draw two cards
= 37

==(blue)-red - prowess spells==
(Blue creatures)
2x Jeskai Sage - Creature - 1U - prowess, draw card when die
2x Sigiled Starfish - Creature - 1U - tap to scry
= 4
2x Vaporkin - Creature - 1U - flying, can only block flying
2x Jeskai Windscout - Creature - 2U - prowess, flying
= 8
2x Jhessian Thief - Creature - 2U - prowess, draw card on combat damage
2x Separatist Voidmage - Creature - 3U - bounce creature on enter
= 12
1x Soulblade Djinn - Creature - 3UU - flying, group prowess
1x Sphinx of Uthuun - Creature - 5UU - flying, draw cards
= 14
(Blue spells)
2x Anticipate - Instant - 1U - look at top three cards, put one in hand
2x Anchor to the Aether - Sorcery - 2U - put creature on top of library, scry
= 18
4x Cancel - Instant - 1UU - counter spell
3x Inspiration - Instant - 2UU - draw two cards
= 25
1x Jace's Sanctum - Enchantment - 3U - reduce spell costs, scry
1x Jace's Ingenuity - Instant - 3UU - draw three cards
= 27
(Red creatures)
2x Cobblebrute - Creature - 3R - vanilla creature with high power
= 29
(Red spells)
2x Twin Bolt - Instant - 1R - 2 damage divided as choose
2x Roast - Sorcery - 1R - 5 damage to nonflying creature
= 33
2x Seismic Rupture - Sorcery - 2R - 2 damage to nonflying creatures
2x Burn Away - Instant - 4R - 6 damage to creature, exile graveyard
= 37

==(black)-green - sacrifice and zombies==
(Zombies)
3x Walking Corpse - Creature - 1B - vanilla zombie
2x Cemetery Reaper - Creature - 1BB - zombie lord, get more zombies
= 5
2x Fleshbag Marauder - Creature - 2B - each player sacrifices creature
3x Gravedigger - Creature - 3B - disentomb creature
= 10
1x Liliana's Reaver - Creature - 2BB - deathtouch, discard, get zombies
= 11
(Other black creatures)
2x Typhoid Rats - Creature - B - deathtouch blocker
2x Zulaport Cutthroat - Creature - 1B - drain life when your creatures die
= 15
3x Vampire Aristocrat - Creature - 2B - sacrifice outlet, boost
2x Xathrid Necromancer - Creature - 2B - zombie when it or humans die
= 20
1x Demon of Death's Gate - Creature - 6BBB - big flier, sacrifice for early cast
= 21
(Black spells)
1x Vampiric Rites - Enchantment - B - sacrifice for card draw
2x Reave Soul - Sorcery - 1B - destroy weak creature
= 24
2x Murder - Instant - 1BB - destroy creature
2x Rise from the Grave - Sorcery - 4B - reanimate creature
= 28
(Green spells)
1x Wreath of Geists - Enchantment - G - boost creature based on number in graveyard
2x Commune with the Gods - Sorcery - 1G - get creature or enchantment, self-mill
= 31
2x Satyr Wayfinder - Creature - 1G - self-mill, get land
2x Recollect - Sorcery - 2G - return card from graveyard to hand
= 35
2x Splinterfright - Creature - 2G - trample, self-mill, power based on dead creatures
= 37
14x Swamp
9x Forest

==(red)-black - goblins and burn==
(Goblins)
2x Goblin Arsonist - Creature - R - deals damage when dies
2x Hordeling Outburst - Sorcery - 1RR - get 3 goblin tokens
= 4
1x Siege-Gang Commander - Creature - 3RR - get goblins, sacrifice for damage
= 5
(Red creatures)
3x Kiln Fiend - Creature - 1R - power boost with spells
2x Regathan Firecat - Creature - 2R - vanilla creature
= 10
2x Dragon Whelp - Creature - 2RR - flying, limited firebreathing
2x Ogre Battledriver - Creature - 2RR - gives haste and power boost to new creatures
= 14
1x Shivan Dragon - Creature - 4RR - big flying, firebreathing
= 15
(Red spells)
4x Lightning Bolt - Instant - R - deal 3 damage
2x Titan's Strength - Instant - R - boost, scry 1
= 21
2x Tormenting Voice - Sorcery - 1R - discard card, draw two
2x Lightning Talons - Enchantment - 2R - boost and first strike
= 25
2x Flames of the Firebrand - Sorcery - 2R - 3 damage divided as choose
= 27
(Black creatures)
1x Blood Scrivener - Creature - 1B - if hand empty, draw extra card
2x Child of Night - Creature - 1B - lifelink
= 30
2x Onyx Mage - Creature - 1B - can give creature deathtouch
= 32
(Black spells)
3x Read the Bones - Sorcery - 2B - scry 2, draw cards, lose 2 life
2x Flatten - Instant - 3B - weaken creature by -4/-4
= 37
14x Mountain
9x Swamp

==(green)-white - elves and big creatures==
(Elves)
4x Elvish Mystic - Creature - G - mana acceleration
2x Elvish Visionary - Creature - 1G - card draw on enter
= 6
2x Dwynen's Elite - Creature - 1G - brings 1/1 if have elf
2x Elvish Archdruid - Creature - 1GG - elf lord, mana acceleration
= 10
2x Imperious Perfect - Creature - 2G - elf lord, get elves
= 12
(Other green creatures)
2x Kessig Recluse - Creature - 2GG - reach, deathtouch
2x Ondu Giant - Creature - 3G - get land on enter
= 16
1x Acidic Slime - Creature - 3GG - deathtouch, destroy thing
2x Soul of the Harvest - Creature - 4GG - big trampler, card draw
= 19
2x Pelakka Wurm - Creature - 4GGG - big trampler, life gain, card draw
1x Craterhoof Behemoth - Creature - 5GGG - finisher
= 22
(Green spells)
2x Titanic Growth - Instant - 1G - big boost
2x Epic Confrontation - Sorcery - 1G - small boost, fight
= 26
2x Lead the Stampede - Sorcery - 2G - get creatures
= 28
(White enchantments)
2x Pacifism - Enchantment - 1W - can't attack or block
2x Banishing Light - Enchantment - 2W - exile nonland permanent
= 32
(White creature)
2x Assault Griffin - Creature - 3W - flying creature
= 37
15x Forest
8x Plains
= 23

kirblar

Their CMs are gone. Sean left and Allison is no longer working public-facing.

This combined with the DeTora thing makes me think they got budget cut or frozen.

Santiako

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";192086738]Very early build, but it's doing some silly shit right now. Making good on my promise of trying to go with more aggressive strategies:

necroyrq7u.png
[/QUOTE]

Is Stormchaser Mage as good as he looks?

Is Stormchaser Mage as good as he looks?

He's very, very good. When people are playing Abzan decks with a crap ton of ground creatures, he can win by himself.

I just played an abzan deck with 3 ground creatures and a newly played Wingmate Roc at 9 life, and during my upkeep my hand was Wild Slash, Mountain. I won that turn.

Uncharted--er, Official Magic Fiction - The Blight We Were Born For - The story of how General Tazri survives an attack by Kozilek and has to rally the troops in Gideon's absence.
* With the full art now available, I can safely say: no boob armor!
* Tazri and her troops are caught up in a wave of reality distortions sent out by Kozilek. It turns one man inside out, one man younger until he disappears, and so on. Tazri is protected by the halo she wears around her neck, but is still affected by the attack.
* She sees a vision of her past, when she took pity on a dying angel and killed her, despite knowing that she would be cursed for doing so. After that, she could no longer dream.
* She sees a vision of her joining Vorik, and later when Vorik made Gideon the general instead of her.
* After that, Kozilek shows her visions of the future. The Gatewatch confront him, but he easily kills them while the converted Tazri watches in glee. He brings Gideon back to life just to kill him again, and does this over and over while laughing. Ulamog is not present in this vision.
* Thousands of years later, Kozilek has turned Tazri into something of a god, but he has moved on from Zendikar, leaving her to rule over an empty plane. Tazri tries to transform Zendikar back into what it once was, not out of guilt, but because she hopes it can bring her master back to destroy it again.
* It is mentioned that Kozilek is far worse at creation than his eldest sibling (Emrakul).
* Trillions of years later, Tazri is still waiting on Zendikar for Kozilek, even with the stars all dead.
* Tazri is pulled away from these visions by a vision of the angel she killed before, who tells her not to give up and such.
* The distortion wave passes and Tazri is the only one in her group to have survived. She doesn't remember much of her visions, but it still affected her.
* Back in the present, everyone is fighting the Eldrazi, but a lot of NPCs are dying. It looks like they're about to kill off Noyan Dar, when Kozilek teleports the roilmages' fire tornado attack behind them, but he survives.
* Tazri is able to successfully give Drana orders, since the latter's gaze no longer frightens her, and Tazri is able to rally everyone.

Also, Release Notes.

Joba62x

Neo Member
Do you think the next step on the goodwill tour is to go after Cockatrice or these online draft simulators? Have they ever made a statement about those?

y2dvd

Does Oblivion Sower get to steal all face down lands caused by Inverter of Truth?

I feel like Matter Reshaped is gonna be the new Hangarback. It's gonna see a lot of play.

I would also probably invest in Thought-Knot Seers. I don't see the value going down.

I just have a hunch Kozilek's Return won't have the impact in Standard like most think it will have. Since it's definitely still playable and playable in other formats, the value should still be great though.

Haines

Banned
Do you think the next step on the goodwill tour is to go after Cockatrice or these online draft simulators? Have they ever made a statement about those?

I dont think they can.

Can anybody tell me a card or two from bfz that produces the new waste mana that i might not realize? Thats my biggest fear right now. Seeing an outdated symbol and not realizing it gives colorless aka waste

Angry Grimace

My assumption was that they were saying "don't use WER for proxy shit" and it sounds like that's what they meant.

It should be readily apparent by now that WOTC has no power in the digital realm.

Does Oblivion Sower get to steal all face down lands caused by Inverter of Truth?

I feel like Matter Reshaped is gonna be the new Hangarback. It's gonna see a lot of play.

I would also probably invest in Thought-Knot Seers. I don't see the value going down.

I just have a hunch Kozilek's Return won't have the impact in Standard like most think it will have. Since it's definitely still playable and playable in other formats, the value should still be great though.
Kozilek's Return is extremely playable in ramp. Ramp is already good even if PVDDR thinks it isn't (he's wrong) and of the existing archetypes it gains more tools than any of the decks in Standard, imo. It already attacks from a hard to fight axis and an absurd number of things it does aren't actually counterable. God's Beard and Kirblar have been talking about World Breaker a lot for a reason: getting to 7 mana with this deck is almost trivial, but getting to 10 to cast Ulamog is quite difficult. World Breaker is going to punish the absolute shit out of Jeskai Black greedy mana bases and wipe boards at the same time.

And as for your first question, no, face-down cards cannot be examined by players unless an effect allows them to be.

Santiako

I dont think they can.

Can anybody tell me a card or two from bfz that produces the new waste mana that i might not realize? Thats my biggest fear right now. Seeing an outdated symbol and not realizing it gives colorless aka waste
Everything that produces (1) or more is colorless mana. Like all Eldrazi scions, or Kozilek's channeler.

ultron87

Nope. Exiled face down cards are just cards without any attributes or names or anything like that. So you can't know which ones are lands to grab.

Kozilek's Channeler, Hedron Archive, anything that makes Eldrazi Scions, the Blighted lands, Spawning Bed and the Colorless rare lands are the ones I could think of.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";192086738]Very early build, but it's doing some silly shit right now. Making good on my promise of trying to go with more aggressive strategies:

necroyrq7u.png
[/QUOTE]
This is the type of Standard list I'd like to use, my only concern is the deck eventually requiring Jace, which is far out of my budget.

Best deck for a beginner is green stomps or green ramp. It's important for the player coming from near zero knowledge to learn 3 major things: permanents and their interactions, phases of turns, and combat. Green stomps does that without much complication. At least 2/3 of all the creature should be vanilla, but vary the power and toughness greatly.

Next step should be a naya deck. A base of creatures with some burn, maybe removal, and one sweet aura for their creatures. Important things to learn here are mastery of permanent interactions, casting costs and timings, strategic combat thinking, and management of both sides of the battlefield.

After that, any deck should introduce card advantage, graveyard interaction, non-removal combat tricks, combos, or complicated creatures. Tarmoghoyf should be one of the last green beats ticks they ever see.

Don't put tier 1 decks in their hands unless it is burn and you want to create a player who will only ever want to play burn, ever. Do not play against their learner deck with your tryhard decks or even tryhard brews. They'll sense you are pulling your punches and tend to dislike the game more because of it.

This is just some stuff I learned in teaching others to play. Hope this helps.

OnPoint

Red looks way too strong. I don't think a burn deck will care to draw cards if they have 8-12 points of damage in their hands for free.

Black I would have them cast for free if they lose life equal to the CMC of the creatures target player sacrifices? Missing a main/draw/combat step doesnt really hurt black that much. Maybe they cant cast noncreature spells or activate noncreature permanent abilities until their next endstep.

I agree with what you're saying about the red spell. Perhaps it should just deal 4 damage to both players instead of target creature as well. It's a little too good otherwise.

For the black one, lord, it's tough. Your suggestion isn't bad design, but it doesn't fit the "cycle" I created. It's possible I just wouldn't have a black one, but I hate when they make only make 4/5 cards in cycles.

Haines

Banned
Everything that produces (1) or more is colorless mana. Like all Eldrazi scions, or Kozilek's channeler.

Nope. Exiled face down cards are just cards without any attributes or names or anything like that. So you can't know which ones are lands to grab.

Kozilek's Channeler, Hedron Archive, anything that makes Eldrazi Scions, the Blighted lands, Spawning Bed and the Colorless rare lands are the ones I could think of.

Thanks i got that part in my head cleared up now. Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom