• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
If you say "(...) When it enters the battlefield, equip it to target creature" and it will achieve the intended effect?

Well Twiddle Oracle text says "you may".

Quickdraw should say "as though it had Flash." Permanent spells can't become instants.

Yeah, both of these seem to make it a bit more clear:

"You may cast this spell for its Quickdraw cost as though it had Flash. If you do, when it enters the battlefield you may attach it to target creature you control. Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next upkeep."

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";192118421]So much hope behind this post :)[/QUOTE]
It's at least T2 playable. If you never experienced BBE bullshit with B/B you have no idea how dumb it is. :p

Ashodin

Quickdraw should say "as though it had Flash." Permanent spells can't become instants.

I just edited the mechanic to base its cost on its CMC instead of a separate cost to make the wording more succinct and tweak cost of the card/equip.

tumblr_nzua5hEWqF1v2vwxho1_r3_400.png

Lucario

It's at least T2 playable. If you never experienced BBE bullshit with B/B you have no idea how dumb it is. :p

I did buy a playset of boom/bust because you reminded me how much I enjoy playing with it, but getting it into the graveyard and then hitting 5 mana for dark-dwellers does seem like a bit of a stretch.

Still trying it in a mana-dork heavy list.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

There's a fringe 5C Bring to Light deck that uses it also. It has several combos including Spike Feeder/Archangel, etc.

You could technically search for a Dark Dwellers with it and then search for a Bust in the GY lol

red13th

I think if the text is reminder text, putting keywords inside of keyword reminder texts could get ugly. That's why it's written out so it's plain to understand. You and I know what flash does, but what about the general dude that picks this card up?

What? You should really follow current templating.

kirblar

There's a fringe 5C Bring to Light deck that uses it also. It has several combos including Spike Feeder/Archangel, etc.

You could technically search for a Dark Dwellers with it and then search for a Bust in the GY lol
That's hilarious.

You really want Blood Moon alongside it (if it isn't banned.)

Jhriad

Don't suppose anybody here collects Japanese versions of cards? Dude forgot to tell me the Master of the Pearl Tridents were in Japanese. I don't want to pimp out my deck, I want it in plain ol English.

What're you looking to get for them? I don't have a set currently and I'm intrigued.

Haines

Banned
Someone tell me why i want that hedron crab or whatever its called in limited. CF posted that on fb.

Its a 0/1 for 2 mana that gives me a C on tap i think?

Why wouldnt i just play a 2 drop that has better stats. At best i drop a land on turn 3 and tap it for some 4drop that needs a C to cast?

Im clearly missing something. Maybe extra mana from a creature is always good even if its body sucks balls.

Santiako

Someone tell me why i want that hedron crab or whatever its called in limited. CF posted that on fb.

Its a 0/1 for 2 mana that gives me a C on tap i think?

Why wouldnt i just play a 2 drop that has better stats. At best i drop a land on turn 3 and tap it for some 4drop that needs a C to cast?

Im clearly missing something. Maybe extra mana from a creature is always good even if its body sucks balls.

It's a mana rock with a body attached that can chump block in a pinch. Getting ahead on mana is always a good thing. Stats aren't everything.

JulianImp

tumblr_o09517Qeg21v2vwxho1_r2_400.png
and
tumblr_nzua5hEWqF1v2vwxho1_r2_400.png

Could I cast the Blade in response to the Armament trigger to get the benefit?

Nope, since armement's using an "intervening if" clause (anything with the templating of "<stuff>, if <condition>, <more stuff>") which check both before triggering and as the ability's about to resolve. Not meeting the requirement at the time armament would trigger means the ability isn't even put onto the stack in the first place, so you can't respond to it and attach your equipment.

If you had used quickdraw on your opponents turn then the armament ability would trigger, but whether it does anything or not upon resolution would depend on how you stack the abilities: If the delayed sacrifice trigger is put on top of armament's, then it'll resolve first and armament will do nothing when the intervening if clause's checked again as the armament trigger resolves.

jph139

Uncharted--er, Official Magic Fiction - The Blight We Were Born For - The story of how General Tazri survives an attack by Kozilek and has to rally the troops in Gideon's absence.

This story was recently written, played with some cool themes, and had some solid setpieces - good stuff overall. These stories are so much better when they focus on the regular, planar folk; the major Planeswalkers are too archetypal to really explore in-depth like that and appear too often to have one-and-done focus pieces.

Which makes me really skeptical about out Gatewatch-centric future.

Ashodin

Interesting! So you still get the +1/+1 counters if you played it on their turn. Very cool interaction.

I've changed the mechanic to not be as overpowered as it was.

tumblr_o09517Qeg21v2vwxho1_r3_400.png

Toxi

Banned
My understanding was that P/T matters was a thing they've tried to work on for years, including in Battle for Zendikar, but they couldn't ever get it to work. There's a lot of cards that seem like they should work but don't or work in unintuitive ways, like:

Anti-Fun Brigade {U}
Enchantment [R]
{0}: Tap or untap target land an opponent controls.

The broken-est card in Magic.
Donate Homeward Path to the opponent and you kill them with this card.

Interesting! So you still get the +1/+1 counters if you played it on their turn. Very cool interaction.

I'm thinking something like "when Equipment is attached to CARDNAME, if it does not have a +1/+1 counter on it, put one on" would be better and easier to remember. Though I believe your original mechanic was fine.

JulianImp

I'm thinking something like "when Equipment is attached to CARDNAME, if it does not have a +1/+1 counter on it, put one on" would be better and easier to remember. Though I believe your original mechanic was fine.

That'd make passing equipment around all your armament creatures trigger it, which makes little sense flavor-wise, IMO.

Still, you've got to think if you want to add the restriction since it'd greatly limit cards which place +1/+1 counters, creating a feel-bad situation where the creature won't ever get its armament bonus if you put a +1/+1 counter on it through some other means before equipping it.

You could use the slightly clumsy way monsterous and renown work, such as:
Arm X (At the beginning of your upkeep, if this creature has equipment attached to it and isn't armed, put X +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes armed)

Edit: Using the whole "armed" quality would also allow you to use extra bonuses such as "CARNAME has first strike as long as it's armed", but on the other hand it'd be a flavor fail if you'd be able to arm the creature and then pass the equipment to something else but still keep the armament bonuses, and fixing that would require an even longer ability explanation, probably making it not fit for using in common cards.

Hero

White has had the 'if this creature is equipped' schtick twice now, in both the original Mirrodin Block with the cat tribe and then in Zendikar with the Kor. Do they really need a third one?

JulianImp

White has had the 'if this creature is equipped' schtick twice now, in both the original Mirrodin Block with the cat tribe and then in Zendikar with the Kor. Do they really need a third one?

Making it a keyword ability would probably mean he intends to spread armament to all five colors, but then again that'd be somewhat weird for non-weenie colors such as blue and black.

Then there's always the issue that making armament creatures rely too much on getting their bonus early would wreck limited if you intend to only arm the creature once, and on the other hand having the bonus happen more than once would help a bit, but I don't think it'd feel right to print at common due to how much staying power and incremental advantage it affords to the creature.

This is not what I expected to see in the last round of a modern league.

edit: game 2 he took infinite turns starting on turn 5

I've known this deck as "Lets Do the Time Warp Again," and it's been around for a while. Part the Waterveil just lets it play a win condition that plays into its theme. It's a fun deck; it's just not super good.

Hero

Making it a keyword ability would probably mean he intends to spread armament to all five colors, but then again that'd be somewhat weird for non-weenie colors such as blue and black.

Then there's always the issue that making armament creatures rely too much on getting their bonus early would wreck limited if you intend to only arm the creature once, and on the other hand having the bonus happen more than once would help a bit, but I don't think it'd feel right to print at common due to how much staying power and incremental advantage it affords to the creature.

Yeah, if it's spread around I suppose it might be different than being just white-only.

What about triggering an extra ability if it is equipped while attacking or defending?

Pyrogenesis (3)(R)(R)

Instant
Deal 4 damage to target creature or
player.
You may pay ( 0 ) instead of paying
Pyrogenesis' casting cost. If you do,
skip your next draw phase.​

So, if I have 4 Pyrogenesis in hand, I can cast them all for 0 mana and do 16 direct damage while only having to skip a single draw phase?

A similar (if obviously much smaller) problem exists with the counterspell. The white and green versions should be okay, though, given that multiple castings of those spells on the same turn generally have no benefit. If you want to do spells that are spammable, though, you probably want to either clarify that the skipped phases "stack" (unlikely, as it's unwieldy) or make it so that the player cannot cast them if they've already "sacrificed" the phase that would be skipped.

I don't think it's a huge problem if you have more than one color skip the same phase, or have a color omitted from the "cycle". Black has the association of being the "ritual magic" color to some degree, so maybe spontaneous casting just isn't their thing. (I could be mistaken, but isn't Flash generally less common in Black, for example?)

Yeef

So, if I have 4 Pyrogenesis in hand, I can cast them all for 0 mana and do 16 direct damage while only having to skip a single draw phase?
No. Whenever an ability tells you to skip your "next" [part of turn] it means the next one that would happen.

614.10. An effect that causes a player to skip an event, step, phase, or turn is a replacement effect. &#8220;Skip [something]&#8221; is the same as &#8220;Instead of doing [something], do nothing.&#8221; Once a step, phase, or turn has started, it can no longer be skipped&#8212;any skip effects will wait until the next occurrence.

614.10a Anything scheduled for a skipped step, phase, or turn won&#8217;t happen. Anything scheduled for the &#8220;next&#8221; occurrence of something waits for the first occurrence that isn&#8217;t skipped. If two effects each cause a player to skip his or her next occurrence, that player must skip the next two; one effect will be satisfied in skipping the first occurrence, while the other will remain until another occurrence can be skipped.

Haines

Banned
It's a mana rock with a body attached that can chump block in a pinch. Getting ahead on mana is always a good thing. Stats aren't everything.

I suppose. I feel like with colorless, im still either realllllly in or reallly out tho. i guess 2 drops dont do much in the grand scheme and giving waste in a c deck is always good

Thx for the insight

OnPoint

A similar (if obviously much smaller) problem exists with the counterspell. The white and green versions should be okay, though, given that multiple castings of those spells on the same turn generally have no benefit. If you want to do spells that are spammable, though, you probably want to either clarify that the skipped phases "stack" (unlikely, as it's unwieldy) or make it so that the player cannot cast them if they've already "sacrificed" the phase that would be skipped.

I don't think it's a huge problem if you have more than one color skip the same phase, or have a color omitted from the "cycle". Black has the association of being the "ritual magic" color to some degree, so maybe spontaneous casting just isn't their thing. (I could be mistaken, but isn't Flash generally less common in Black, for example?)

I guess, as written, that's how Pyrogenesis would work. Which is pretty broken. But you're on to something. I think it's possible that the effects I chose for blue and red are just too powerful for this kind of effect. If I were to take another crack at this cycle, I'd probably reimagine those two specifically. I do kind of like the idea I had for making black fit. You could use it in decks that want to skip their upkeep triggers. But that seems like a lot of hoops to jump through for that as a one-time effect.

Ideally, I wish they were somehow legendary, in the sense you could only have one per deck, or maybe play just one per turn somehow. But that's a whole other idea and a whole other bucket of worms.

ultron87

I suppose. I feel like with colorless, im still either realllllly in or reallly out tho. i guess 2 drops dont do much in the grand scheme and giving waste in a c deck is always good

Thx for the insight

Just remember that even producing only colorless this should help cast the majority of the cards in your deck earlier then you would otherwise, no matter what colors (or lack thereof) you are. The only thing it doesn't help with is casting something that costs WW, or whatever.

JulianImp

I guess, as written, that's how Pyrogenesis would work. Which is pretty broken. But you're on to something. I think it's possible that the effects I chose for blue and red are just too powerful for this kind of effect. If I were to take another crack at this cycle, I'd probably reimagine those two specifically. I do kind of like the idea I had for making black fit. You could use it in decks that want to skip their upkeep triggers. But that seems like a lot of hoops to jump through for that as a one-time effect.

Ideally, I wish they were somehow legendary, in the sense you could only have one per deck, or maybe play just one per turn somehow. But that's a whole other idea and a whole other bucket of worms.

Free spells are very, very dangerous, and often tread the fine line between being broken and nerfed so hard they don't even matter. Even if a player has to skip their next four draw phases, that won't matter if they win right then and there with sixteen damage out of nowhere.

You could compare it with Fireblast, which is really powerful but still limited in that you'd need eight mountains to play four copies of it on the same turn and is still a damn fine and pretty poerful burn spell in its own right. Even restricting the card to one-per-deck would make no sense since it'd be such a pushed card that it'd still get played due to its absurd ability to close out games randomly and with absolutely no cost at the time you cast it.

A more likely comparison would probably be a lightning bolt pact, which would be ridiculously powerful regardless of how much you'd have to pay on the later turn since it could simply win by itself on the spot, unlike all the other pacts which don't win the game by themselves as you need haste or more turns (red), mana to cast the creature you fetched (green), a burn spell aimed at you (white), a creature to hit with after clearing out a blocker (black) or a spell worth protecting (blue).

Haines

Banned
Just remember that even producing only colorless this should help cast the majority of the cards in your deck earlier then you would otherwise, no matter what colors (or lack thereof) you are. The only thing it doesn't help with is casting something that costs WW, or whatever.

Yeah, thats right. I suppose that wasnt getting in my head enough.

I think its part of playing hearthstone so much prior to magic and getting auto mana every turn.

Haines

Banned
Where the heck is the lr set review. Up tmrw? Not leaving much time to listen to it all before pre release.

Also do you guys know what the time to build deck is at prerelease?

Where the heck is the lr set review. Up tmrw? Not leaving much time to listen to it all before pre release.

Also do you guys know what the time to build deck is at prerelease?

It will all be explained to you at prerelease. Don't sweat it. Most places give you 50 minutes. Some will give more at the first prerelease for the weekend.

JulianImp

Ouch, that looks straight out of an issue of MAD. The art has gotten so much better since then. This awful Ice Age video from back when I wasn't even born takes the cake though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN0zxVkTH6A

I smiled when I heard "what I want, I take", but did WotC's marketing department seriously expect people who weren't already into the game to easily understand that she had cast a particular control magic spell (that 3U one that granted +0/+1 and cost 1U on upkeep to keep it around) or what was even going on as they recited flavor text in turn? And then there were the Lemures... god, I love it every time I remember they made a crazy mistake such as that back in the day.

pigeon

Banned

What's the benefit of a mechanic that encourages you to move your equipment around between your creatures? It doesn't seem like it would be fun in play to have to run Bonesplitter and then pay a bunch of attention to whether each of my dudes has had a chance to borrow Bonesplitter.

How is this "permanent" version of the mechanic better than the already extant "if this creature is equipped, it gets X"? Obviously since you only need one piece of equipment to do it for all your critters it has to be comparatively weaker, so you're doing more work with more cards and tokens to get a smaller benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom