• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

It's still a feelbad to open your pre-release pack and get Oath of Chandra or something as your pre-release foil. The actual effect that they do in limited are basically what you'd expect from a common. Not to mention I suppose you could get foil Hedron Alignment.

Shit rares for limited isn't exactly an Oath phenomenon. One of my friends ended up opening 7 Prism Arrays in his prerelease pools, including one pack foil and one prerelease foil.

He had three in his last pool.

Haines

Banned
I'd maindeck Negate in sealed because a) it answers bomb-ish non-creature spells rather well and b) when your deck is even clunkier than a draft deck would be it's more important to be able to protect your important pieces from removal.

The only real changes I make for Sealed is that I'm more willing to play edge case creatures. If it's borderline on the vanilla test, it's probably going to be better in sealed than it would be in draft so keep that in mind when deckbuilding. Depending on format & card pool you're not going to be able to consistently build a deck with a lot of synergy so it's more of a "Good Stuff and Good Enough" approach.

Makes a lot of sense. cool.

Yeah gods beared i totally agree. Black is super impactful and this set looks to round out the linear design of bfz a bit. 2 and 1 should work out nicely.

Also, why is the Prerelease foil of Ulamog (and apparently Kozilek) worth so much? Usually the prereleases are worth less than pack foils.
I've found that odd too. The pack foil should be much rarer right?

On that note, 2011 Pre-release Sun Titan >>>>> regular Sun Titan. I'm glad that version didn't become a thing for some reason so I was able to pick up a playset recently for a song. Sam with Hero of Bladehold, the alt art foil promo has better art IMO and is cheaper than the non-foil regular version.

I always look for FtV or prerelease promo prices when shopping for a card.

suntitann4uk0.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shit rares for limited isn't exactly an Oath phenomenon. One of my friends ended up opening 7 Prism Arrays in his prerelease pools, including one pack foil and one prerelease foil.

He had three in his last pool.
Prism Array is fine if you actually go converge.

At the least, they don't explicitly reference other Mythics.

KitSnicket

Neo Member
I've been reading up about the upcoming prerelease and I'm still left with some questions.

The only other sealed tournament I've done is the BFZ prerelease.

I've read everything I can find online about 2HG, and I'm still left with some questions.

1. Can you swap out cards between games? The rules say you can't, even if it's a draw, but then they say that all of your extra cards are registered as a single sideboard, and can be accessed by cards that or effects that refer to cards "outside the game". It sounds like you have to play the whole tournament with your original decks, but you still have a sideboard that can be acccessed by some effects?

2. Normal 2HG each team is given 8 packs and the rules assume this. But for this each person gets a prerelease pack of 6 packs. Can you still combine your cards, or does each player have to use their own release pack? If you combine, do you take home your deck, or the cards you opened?

Thank you in advance for any help.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";192203567]Almost as sweet as Yuuki Ichikawa destroying Jackson Cunningham with a Golgari Charm.[/QUOTE]

Cunningham won that match though. I believe he then went on to lose to flying sheep, if my memory serves correctly.

ultron87

I've been reading up about the upcoming prerelease and I'm still left with some questions.

I've read everything I can find online about 2HG, and I'm still left with some questions.

1. Can you swap out cards between games? The rules say you can't, even if it's a draw, but then they say that all of your extra cards are registered as a single sideboard, and can be accessed by cards that or effects that refer to cards "outside the game". It sounds like you have to play the whole tournament with your original decks, but you still have a sideboard that can be acccessed by some effects?

You can change between matches because prereleases have a rule where you don't have to keep your deck the same between matches. That just makes it easier for everyone, especially since opponents helping each other out and people reevaluating decks between matches is a pretty common occurrence at Prerelease.

2. Normal 2HG each team is given 8 packs and the rules assume this. But for this each person gets a prerelease pack of 6 packs. Can you still combine your cards, or does each player have to use their own release pack? If you combine, do you take home your deck, or the cards you opened?

You can use all the cards from both boxes and mix em up. See the 2HG section here. Who gets what cards after the tournament is up to you and your teammate. If they're a friend just work it out, if you get paired up with someone at the store probably best to agree that the rares you open are yours.

Haines

Banned

Idk about 2hg but normally you have to start each match with starting list then you can sideboard between games with entire pool

They say you can swap ut whole colors etc but to do all that and make sure deck still works and figure out mana base is a lot of work to have to switch back after unless you could get it figured out and written down in deck building time

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";192203567]Almost as sweet as Yuuki Ichikawa destroying Jackson Cunningham with a Golgari Charm.[/QUOTE]

An infect player doing dumb shit isn't even in the same realm as that play. That's usually the difference between the good players and me though, I don't actually see the obscure lines of play, but I try them anyways and do dumb shit like Inquisition myself.

y2dvd

You ever play Odyssey Block Constructed? (Aka Mono-Black Control mirrors: the format)

This matchup feels very similar- it's all about resource denial. You will lose that war w/ 0 World Breakers.

Also, I think Matter Reshaper's actively bad here?

I think its acceptable since land counts in the death trigger - it can chump a big attack and then ramp you. I wouldn't personally run it, but its not a really bad choice, I think.

I've mentioned it before and Grimace touched a bit on it. It doesn't just chumps. It trades and then some. If you hit a land, sweet I get to ramp. Hit another creature at 3cmc or less? Sweet, free creature. Anything else? Sweet, free draw.

I expect ramp decks to now run 4 Warping Wails. What are most of the spells that helps you ramp in mirrors? Sorcery spells. You are gonna counter each other's acceleration quite a bit. Thought-Knot and Matter Reshaper don't care. They don't care at all! So it's something proactive to do. Not only that, mirrors won't really have answers for Thought-Knots. I can take away your World Breakers if that's the only threat or whatever else necessary.

The thing about WB is it destroys your own resources just as much as it does the opponents. Oblivion Sower can get you more resources and is cheaper to cast. D-Atarka I've already reasoned why I think it's better. Again, I'm just not sold on WB and think it loses the mirror. Guess we'll agree to disagree. :)

I like some if the R/U prowess aggro decks out there. Reminds me of the W/U heroic deck that I used to run I'm Theros.

KitSnicket

Neo Member
Idk about 2hg but normally you have to start each match with starting list then you can sideboard between games with entire pool

They say you can swap ut whole colors etc but to do all that and make sure deck still works and figure out mana base is a lot of work to have to switch back after unless you could get it figured out and written down in deck building time

2HG is different though, because you only play one game and not 2 out of three. That was part of my confusion.

KitSnicket

Neo Member
You can change between matches because prereleases have a rule where you don't have to keep your deck the same between matches. That just makes it easier for everyone, especially since opponents helping each other out and people reevaluating decks between matches is a pretty common occurrence at Prerelease.

Thank you for this clarification. I wasn't sure which rule took precidence.

You can use all the cards from both boxes and mix em up. See the 2HG section here. Who gets what cards after the tournament is up to you and your teammate. If they're a friend just work it out, if you get paired up with someone at the store probably best to agree that the rares you open are yours.

This was very helpful. I appreciate your time.

ultron87

I guess even with friends you probably want to agree on keeping any money rares in your packs before you open them, lest a 300 dollar Wasteland expedition tear your friendship apart.

Edit: I'm hoping my 0 Expedition luck doesn't continue into Oath.

KitSnicket

Neo Member
I guess even with friends you probably want to agree on keeping any money rares in your packs before you open them, lest a 300 dollar Wasteland expedition tear your friendship apart.

I agree that it is always a good idea to decide ahead of time, even with friends. Although if I open an expedition I probably wouldn't play with it. Even if it added some percentage points to our chances, it wouldn't be worth the stress or the risk.

I agree that it is always a good idea to decide ahead of time, even with friends. Although if I open an expedition I probably wouldn't play with it. Even if it added some percentage points to our chances, it wouldn't be worth the stress or the risk.

You could just proxy it.

Edit: I'm hoping my 0 Expedition luck doesn't continue into Oath.

On the contrary I'd decide to split for less feel bads, I guess that makes you an optimist and and me a pessimist.

Angry Grimace

I didnt know prereleases allowed different decks to start each match cool

It's also legal to get advice/help on deckbuilding at prerelease. If you do bad in a match, just ask the judge to help you fix your deck.

An infect player doing dumb shit isn't even in the same realm as that play. That's usually the difference between the good players and me though, I don't actually see the obscure lines of play, but I try them anyways and do dumb shit like Inquisition myself.

I missed top 8 at a PPTQ because I didn't thoughtseize myself to put Hornet Queen in the graveyard. That was the last tournament I entered without a full night's sleep.

Ashodin

how about this

Arm X (If this creature isn’t armed, you may attach target equipment you control to it, then put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes armed.)

One-time instant speed equips. Creatures become armed so they're relevant to other cards looking at armed creatures.

Then I can make stuff like

When CARDNAME becomes armed, sacrifice an equipment attached to it. If you do, it deals damage equal to that equipment's CMC to target creature or player.

how about this

Arm X (If this creature isn’t armed, you may attach target equipment you control to it, then put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes armed.)

One-time instant speed equips. Creatures become armed so they're relevant to other cards looking at armed creatures.

When CARDNAME becomes armed, sacrifice an equipment attached to it. If you do, it deals damage equal to that equipment's CMC to target creature or player.

so basically renowned with equipment, looks good, except armament sounded nicer. How does it work with quickdraw though?

How does it work in general though, It sounds like an activated ability that circumvents equipping costs but it can also equip and then arm itself with its equipment at instant speed?

Quickdraw is the way you get equipment onto creatures without arm. Seems like a good fit to me.

but then you need to specify Arm to operate at sorcery speed and Arm also limits the design space you have for equipments since any arm creature can just circumvent the equipment costs.

Oh man this is hilarious

MTG Subreddit Mod said:
We finally got permission from someone at WotC to use the mana symbols as flair on our subreddit. Thanks /u/trickjarrett for finally giving us approval! It has been a long time coming, as anyone that has been on this subreddit since the sub 10,000 users days knows. Special shoutout to /u/thecid for all his previous attempts in trying to get this for us. If he still played Magic, he'd probably be shocked we finally got it done.
Thank /u/s-mores for adding them as always. He warns there may be issues with transparency, so if you see something wrong, let us know and he might fix it.
FLAIR UP!
EDIT: Sigh... too good to be true. Read /u/trickjarrett's post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/410jrb/mana_symbol_flair_update/

The new post has already been deleted

pigeon

Banned
how about this

I like this better but I'd lose the +1/+1 counter. It's interesting enough just being a one-time instant speed equip, and you can always have "as long as its armed" clauses on cards.

Haines

Banned
New question.

Mulligan. Im used to hearthstone which is very different so i havent mastered it in magic.

Im fine with going down to 6. But its when i hit 6 and only hit say 2 land and a 3 drop at best early game, im afraid to go down to 5 cards bc i feel like im losing way too much card advantage going into midgame.

Are you guys afraid to go to 5? My buddy says i might as well bc im going to lose without a good early game anyways.

As far as your guys developing a magic mechanic goes, remember the simpler the better. hell look how simple these oath ones are.

Ashodin

Do you think any new planeswalkers they'll add will be flip walkers? I really love the feel of them compared to just plain ol's.

New question.

Mulligan. Im used to hearthstone which is very different so i havent mastered it in magic.

Im fine with going down to 6. But its when i hit 6 and only hit say 2 land and a 3 drop at best early game, im afraid to go down to 5 cards bc i feel like im losing way too much card advantage going into midgame.

Are you guys afraid to go to 5? My buddy says i might as well bc im going to lose without a good early game anyways.

As far as your guys developing a magic mechanic goes, remember the simpler the better. hell look how simple these oath ones are.

In general you can get away with fairly awful hands in sealed. 2 lands and a 3 drop are fine unless it's game 2 and you know your opponents deck to be very fast imo. Heck I just had a limited game were the first card played between both of us was Felidar sovereign, a 6 drop. Followed by a second a turn later, both mine.

I like this better but I'd lose the +1/+1 counter. It's interesting enough just being a one-time instant speed equip, and you can always have "as long as its armed" clauses on cards.

All this talk reminds me of one of my favourite cards still. It enables pretty stupid stuff.

New question.

The new scry rules takes a bit of the bite out of mulligans. Once you choose to keep your hand, if you have less than 7 cards, then you can scry 1. This makes somewhat risky hands a bit better to keep, but if your deck is focused on the early game, then it's better to go down to 5 than to not have a turn 1 play and hope you get a two-cost creature next turn.

Yeef

Looking for a bit of SEALED event advice.

So im learning more and more that sealed plays out completely different from draft. Which i understand is essentially from most decks being mishmashes of what cards they are stuck with, and thus being a lot slower, and lower power til maybe a top end bomb.

My question is this. How does deckbuilding change and card value change.

For instance. In a blue oath review, lsv says negate is 1.0 but he would main deck it in sealed. Is this just because you could habe more times where mana is free to counter a spell bc its slower?

What changes in sealed for deckbuilding for you guys? Almost all reviews are based on draft, so you get a mindset for that, but ive heard LR essinatially say green is unplayable, but totally playable on sealed nc you know what green cards you have.

Maybe there are good articles on the difference and its just a matter of looking them up.
Sealed is generally slower and decks tend to be less cohesive. Because of that, it's more likely that someone will splash and stretch their manabase to play a bomb and/or removla spell. Fixing tends to be more important in sealed than draft.typically when I'm building a sealed pool, I separate out all my fixing and removal to see which colors are the strongest and which I can potentially splash for; then i look at the creature base to see which of the initial colors I was looking at are viable.

In prerelease 2HG events you still share cards with your partner; you just have more packs between the two of you, so the decks will generally be better overall. You can't sideboard during a single round (that is, if you draw, you can't sideboard before you start the next game), but you can modify your decks between rounds. So, if you find that card X isn't as good as you first thought, you can take it out of your deck after round 1, but before you start your round 2 match.

In limited, at Regular REL (which prerelease and FNM are), you can edit your deck however you like both between games and rounds. You don't need to reset your deck at all if you don't want to.

Ashodin

How do I keep track of creatures who are armed then? arm counters?

I still think it's better to stick to the first version of armament (+1/+1 counter on upkeep) or making it an ability word for "if this creature is equipped", instead of going into the "only do this once" territory.

Firemind

but then you need to specify Arm to operate at sorcery speed and Arm also limits the design space you have for equipments since any arm creature can just circumvent the equipment costs.

Oh man this is hilarious

The new post has already been deleted
what happen?

lsv just posted his red review

And he said the lr review cast will be up tonight
now i know why the set pisses me off. they all look the same!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom