• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haines

Banned
I was suprised how much he liked red but it came often with a *in agro caveat so im guessing he was looking more at the positive side of the cards

Just had an idea about what could work as a U/B evergreen keyword: fateseal on combat damage. It's been stated that fateseal made for miserable gameplay, but that's when it's attached to spells. A card like this:

Blue-Black Part of Cycle - 3UB
Creature - Horror
Infiltrate (When this creature deals combat damage to a player, look at the top card of his or her library. You may put it on the bottom of that player's library)
Whenever CARDNAME attacks, if you control an Aurochs creatures, it gains flying until end of turn.
4/5

Seems like it would be fine. Along with this.

Sneaky Infiltrator - 1U
Creature - Human Rogue
Infiltrate, hexproof
1/1

what happen?

You know how on reddit you can select symbols and banners to be next to your account name on posts? The mods on /r/MagicTCG have been trying to get the permission to use the official mana symbols for those purposes and Wizards through Trick Jarett finally granted that. And apparently immediately redacted and made so clear in a post that got deleted since.

Ayli and Kalitas are super annoying but otherwise I'm loving this UR Prowess deck. So much haste power. I might swap the Thunderbreaks out of the board for some Phoenixes, not sure. The Regents are better against cheap wraths but I just want the evasion to be honest.

Joe Molotov

You know how on reddit you can select symbols and banners to be next to your account name on posts? The mods on /r/MagicTCG have been trying to get the permission to use the official mana symbols for those purposes and Wizards through Trick Jarett finally granted that. And apparently immediately redacted and made so clear in a post that got deleted since.

You just got Trick'd.

Haines

Banned
I have another question. Shocking, i know.

So, im not familar with the nicknames the lands have so bear with me.

When i see a land that says come in play tapped, it fucking scares me when i try to evaluate whether to play it or not. I guess the fear that goes into my head is dropping it and not being able o play my drop that turn

Is that feeling right, or does it usually work itself out to be played a turn that it doesnt need to be used anyways. It just feels so odd to me to play a mana i cant even use that turn to keep tempo up

Ashodin

I generally play very small amounts of lands that ETB tapped, and only keep them in my hand if I have

• Wrong color land
  • Land that taps for both colors in a deck but enters the battlefield tapped
  • two drop that needs the other color

So turn 1 would be that tapped land, then turn 2 wrong color land = 2 drop. go from there.

I picked up the Zendikar art book. It's more of a lore book or retrospective book with lots of art (like they produce for some video games), going far beyond just captioning the pictures. It goes over storyline, places, and characters from the first block and the current one. The art is large with lots of full page images that give me an appreciation for some card art that just completely escaped my attention otherwise. I am bummed out that they didn't include the default card art for Emrakul as I've never seen another depiction of him that I liked nearly as much. There's really no attention on the game itself save for a two page spread that goes over the signature mechanics from each block with example cards. I can't comment on the writing yet but skimming a few pages didn't show any of the absolutely wretched writing I've seen on Uncharted Realms.

Another thing that stands out to me is that the paper is surprisingly thick and while I'm no expert the print quality is very high overall. It's not going to rub off on your fingers.
If they do one of these after every two-set block or after each revisit (Innistrad!) I'd be psyched for that. There's no other home in print for all of this beautiful art and world-building. I really want a dedicated art book for some of the older, more experimental and characterful stuff though.

Also some EDH pickups from one of my LCS's (Comic Kings in Va Beach), who are always killing it with the prices:

18d7c952-cc8c-460c-9d2lu38.jpg

red13th

I wonder how much would a card disadvantage tutor cost these days (Vampiric Tutor instead of Demonic Tutor). There's Cruel Tutor but it's old, from Portal, sorcery speed, 2B tacked on Vamp Tutor, it's not good enough (3 mana should get you something like Grim Tutor instead). Maybe if it was Instant speed. I think they should print a two mana Imperial Seal.

ultron87

I have another question. Shocking, i know.

So, im not familar with the nicknames the lands have so bear with me.

When i see a land that says come in play tapped, it fucking scares me when i try to evaluate whether to play it or not. I guess the fear that goes into my head is dropping it and not being able o play my drop that turn

Is that feeling right, or does it usually work itself out to be played a turn that it doesnt need to be used anyways. It just feels so odd to me to play a mana i cant even use that turn to keep tempo up

You probably don't want a land base that is nothing but comes into play tapped lands, but mana fixing is so bad in Limited that I think you should play as many of the two color CIPT lands as you open in your colors. You aren't going to have a solid 1-drop 2-drop 3-drop 4-drop spell curve most games, so you'll be able to find turns to fit them in without hurting your curve. The ability to play all your spells because of a more consistent land base is absolutely worth it the potential tempo hit.

The single color tapped "spell lands" from BFZ are the ones you need to be more careful on. They do have good effects, but I've found you don't want to overload on them.

Haines

Banned
You probably don't want a land base that is nothing but comes into play tapped lands, but mana fixing is so bad in Limited that I think you should play as many of the two color CIPT lands as you open in your colors. You aren't going to have a solid 1-drop 2-drop 3-drop 4-drop spell curve most games, so you'll be able to find turns to fit them in without hurting your curve. The ability to play all your spells because of a more consistent land base is absolutely worth it the potential tempo hit.

The single color tapped "spell lands" from BFZ are the ones you need to be more careful on. They do have good effects, but I've found you don't want to overload on them.

Thanks dude. Always very helpful. Its def the single bfz ability lands that scare me more for sure. Like the plains that gibes a counter and vigilance for turn, just seems like theres a chance you draw that as your 7th land to cast your bomb oh wait not til next turn and this late in the game maybe that ability doesnt have near the impact the 7 drop would have to help close out the game quicker. Where like you said, if it will help with mana base, it has a stronger pay off.

Maybe ill go check out lsvs written thoughts on those cards. Really wish i got to play bfz more but i worked every night fmn draft was except two. Pretty crappy way to spend my first set of magic lol

The BFZ tapped utility lands are not very good. Your instincts are right.

There will always be scenarios you can find where they're worth it, but not enough to where I even like putting them in my deck.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
In limited you play like one or two of them, but the actual effect simply isn't good enough to take them very high or prioritize them.

There simply aren't enough taplands for it to be a serious issue in limited (which is almost always a slow format to begin with)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Also I just got 4 mint condition promo foil Rebecca Guay Path to Exiles.

I don't remember getting them, but I drink a lot so uh, yeah.

Angry Grimace

It evens out over time though because the shit I'm sitting on gets more valuable.

Note: I am lying don't believe anyone that says they make money on Magic its a conspiracy I tell you

OnPoint

My collection is certainly worth more than I paid for it. But that would require me to sell it. A crackhead doesn't pay money for crack to turn around and sell it, naw mean?

But why? Is everyone an asshole and plays Strip Mine?
I play Azusa + Strip Mine/Tectonic Edge/etc + Crucible of Worlds + Storm Cauldron + Oracle of Mul Daya. I can lay down 5 lands a turn which means I can destroy 5 lands a turn if I want, while any land that gets tapped is bounced.

This is not too assholish for spikey Commander because it hinges on several pieces that any decent deck can find a way to get rid of. There's no element of control in play save land control, to stop them from blowing up my pieces.

One thing I won't do is any really simple infinite combos, like Kiki + Zealous Conscripts. Fuck that shit.

Daedardus

I play Azusa + Strip Mine/Tectonic Edge/etc + Crucible of Worlds + Storm Cauldron. I can go after someone and remove most of not all of their mana. This is not that assholish for Commander because it hinges on several pieces that any good player can find a way to get rid of.

But is it fun?

2.0 version

necrouyk4n.png

I'm not sold on the black yet. Virulent Plague out of the board is a lifesaver, but you do a lot of damage to yourself and this deck is all about racing situations.

OnPoint

I play Azusa + Strip Mine/Tectonic Edge/etc + Crucible of Worlds + Storm Cauldron + Oracle of Mul Daya. I can lay down 5 lands a turn which means I can destroy 5 lands a turn if I want, while any land that gets tapped is bounced.

This is not too assholish for spikey Commander because it hinges on several pieces that any decent deck can find a way to get rid of. There's no element of control in play save land control, to stop them from blowing up my pieces.

One thing I won't do is any really simple infinite combos, like Kiki + Zealous Conscripts. Fuck that shit.

Six vs half-dozen, really. Land destruction ends a game slowly and painfully for people, Infinite combos do it quickly. Both are equally unfun for people.

Six vs half-dozen, really. Land destruction ends a game slowly and painfully for people, Infinite combos do it quickly. Both are equally unfun for people.
Its not a big deal in 4 player and I wont go HAM on one person unless they are just taking everything over. "Oh you're wrecking us with Shattergang? Say bye to your black mana." This whole thing never holds together for more than 1 or 2 passes around the table. And usually Im not even doing land destruction. People have to decide to increase their board presence or leave mana open to respond when I drop a fatty.

I prefer to walk softly and carry a big stick. I will make my decisions abut how hard to go during the game with all the options available to me, instead of handicapping myself during deck construction, because with some of the people I play with you have to lay down the law sometimes.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";192236756]Ayli and Kalitas are super annoying but otherwise I'm loving this UR Prowess deck. So much haste power. I might swap the Thunderbreaks out of the board for some Phoenixes, not sure. The Regents are better against cheap wraths but I just want the evasion to be honest.[/QUOTE]

edit: nvm you posted it above

OnPoint

Its not a big deal in 4 player and I wont go HAM on one person unless they are just taking everything over. "Oh you're wrecking us with Shattergang? Say bye to your black mana." This whole thing never holds together for more than 1 or 2 passes around the table. And usually Im not even doing land destruction. People have to decide to increase their board presence or leave mana open to respond when I drop a fatty.

I prefer to walk softly and carry a big stick. I will make my decisions abut how hard to go during the game with all the options available to me, instead of handicapping myself during deck construction, because with some of the people I play with you have to lay down the law sometimes.

I'm not saying you should handicap yourself, nor am I insinuating that you just mercilessly destroy lands all game. I was just pointing out the amusing hypocrisy of saying one un-fun style of deck is somehow better or more acceptable than the other. I personally prefer the quick style of un-fun so we can shuffle up and play another game, probably with everyone targeting the person who made things stupid.

But that's what's great about Commander. It's probably the best "to each their own" format out there.

I'm not saying you should handicap yourself, nor am I insinuating that you just mercilessly destroy lands all game. I was just pointing out the amusing hypocrisy of saying one un-fun style of deck is somehow better or more acceptable than the other. I personally prefer the quick style of un-fun so we can shuffle up and play another game, probably with everyone targeting the person who made things stupid.

But that's what's great about Commander. It's probably the best "to each their own" format out there.
And I was just trying to clarify that it's not the style of the deck because it's one card out of 99 that enables this and I can't tutor for it. If I was playing an actual land destruction deck I would consider myself a hypocrit. I dislike simple 2 card infinite combos not because I have a problem with instant wins but because they are so braindead easy and non-interactive that there's just no good feels to be had from winning that way.

But I come from a place where I have to deal with Static Orb and Timesifter. That's right, a fucking Timesifter deck!

OnPoint

And I was just trying to clarify that it's not the style of the deck because it's one card out of 99 that enables this and I can't tutor for it. If I was playing an actual land destruction deck I would consider myself a hypocrit. I dislike simple 2 card infinite combos not because I have a problem with instant wins but because they are so braindead easy and non-interactive that there's just no good feels to be had from winning that way.

But I come from a place where I have to deal with Static Orb and Timesifter. That's right, a fucking Timesifter deck!

To be fair, I'm not calling you a hypocrite. I just find the view point to be hypocritical. And I still do -- they're both equally unfun strategies in different ways and I don't really like the presence of either. Whether you tutor for it or build to it naturally through the game doesn't change my view on the matter.

I find that 2-card combos are easier to disrupt through removal, countermagic, stealing effects, whatever, than repeatable land destruction engines. I also think that part of the joy of slamming a 2-card win combo is maneuvering the game in such a way that you can pull it off. If you get lucky and pull it off on turn 4? I guess that's just how it goes sometimes in any format, but the odds are against you. Your argument about cards being 1/99 rings true here. I had a friend play a Red/Blue Niv Mizzet deck the other day and try to infinite combo 3 times. Each time he was stopped by the other players. Through a weird confluence of events he eventually won, but not because of infinite combos.

Also, I had a Timesifter in a Commander deck once. Made people SO mad. I took it out pretty quickly.

Haines

Banned
Are any of you going to the midnight prerelease? I couldnt imagine doing it at that time unless i had a schedule that already had me up at those hours.

Ill be going to the day one tommorow.

Are any of you going to the midnight prerelease? I couldnt imagine doing it at that time unless i had a schedule that already had me up at those hours.

My shop has a "buy into 5 events, get the 6th free" deal that I get. Most of the packs I'll pick up for a set come from those six prerelease pools, and the promos are a nice bonus. Luckily you don't hav to show up for all or even any of the events, they are just held for you.

Yeef

I do all 5 (6) prereleases, including midnight and the following morning. The joys of being a T.O.!

ultron87

Midnights are fun, because 4 AM Magic when everyone is a little punchy is entertaining. I've done them in the past on weekends where I was busy during Saturday or Sunday and wanted to get 2 events in still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom