• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

Blighted Taps for colorless. They may be higher picks now just for that alone. I'd run some in sealed even if can't crack them, granted if you need the <>.

Haines

Banned
I do all 5 (6) prereleases, including midnight and the following morning. The joys of being a T.O.!

How do you do 6? As far as i can tell the ones i go to will be from like 10 to 5 with like 6 rounds of play. Im prob doing one sat and one saturday, but how do you guys do 6?

Edit: i just looked it up. Mine does 4 of them at midnight...idk how you do four at once? One sat daytime and 1 sunday at day

bigkrev

I will be playing in a 2HG event for the first time since Innestrad. I despise 2HG, but I resolved this year to try things a second time that I hate to see if I'm now more open minded.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Midnights are fun, because 4 AM Magic when everyone is a little punchy is entertaining. I've done them in the past on weekends where I was busy during Saturday or Sunday and wanted to get 2 events in still.

you're supposed to drink heavily before them

Yes I am doing midnight, no I will not finish - the way to do them is to go to FNM, then hit a bar, then come back and play a couple rounds and then drop when you're super tired and come back for the real one the next day.

bigkrev

Midnights are fun, because 4 AM Magic when everyone is a little punchy is entertaining. I've done them in the past on weekends where I was busy during Saturday or Sunday and wanted to get 2 events in still.

I'm too old for this now :(
The place I used to go for midnight would do 5 rounds (!), so you weren't leaving the store before 6AM

Firemind

you're supposed to drink heavily before them

Yes I am doing midnight, no I will not finish - the way to do them is to go to FNM, then hit a bar, then come back and play a couple rounds and then drop when you're super tired and come back for the real one the next day.
What are you?

Superhuman?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's like opening a box except less of a waste time and money

y2dvd

I want to go but have no partner for 2HG.

Wizards isn't being inclusive for losers like meeeeeeeee!

Yo I'm gonna a get my gf to play who's a fookin nub that haven't even played a game yet. That's worst! I just want me some early Oath cards damnit.

Haines

Banned
Ones around here arent 2hd and if they were i wouldnt go, 0 interest in any of that or commander or whatever stuff.

Hearthstone for free standard. Magic for best limited. Anything past 2 players id rather play a video game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I am transmitting this to you from a secret location where an early prerelease is happening. The biggest takeaway so far: between Scions and utility lands no-one I've seen has had any trouble consistently playing colorless cards. And they're quite good. Don't be afraid to run them aggressively in your deck

Wulfric

I'm spoiling myself this time; going to a morning prerelease and two-headed in the afternoon. Intro pack rares, come to papa! :D

Good luck to all you crazies doing midnight prerelease.

p.s. You can play Wasteland in limited formats, right? Asking just in case.

I'm spoiling myself this time; going to a morning prerelease and two-headed in the afternoon. Intro pack rares, come to papa! :D

Good luck to all you crazies doing midnight prerelease.

p.s. You can play Wasteland in limited formats, right? Asking just in case.

If you open it in Limited, you can play it.

Haines

Banned
Something i neber thought of til i read that cb primer.

That if you are already mana fixing a bunch to add colorless as a 3rd color of sorts, than you can probably play 1 of another color like say a black too for complete disregard bc you will have 4 other sources already lined up to help get there

Cards deserved the axe for four years.

True, but it's avoided so many bannings that tons of people are comfortable picking up the deck without worry. Not many people are picking up Bloom Titan if they think it's gonna get the axe.

Even I built the deck last year. Didn't keep my interest very long, though.

It's hilarious to me that Twin might be getting the Axe. I mean, I don't like the deck (and honestly, I prefer Kikijiki if we're talking Infinite swarm decks) but it's been a staple for so long that it's kind of WTF it's happening now.

kirblar

It's hilarious to me that Twin might be getting the Axe. I mean, I don't like the deck (and honestly, I prefer Kikijiki if we're talking Infinite swarm decks) but it's been a staple for so long that it's kind of WTF it's happening now.
It's always been stupid, they just didn't realize for forever how stupid it was or the kind of negative influences it had on the format (tapped out? you lose!)

Looking forward to hitting up the prerelease tomorrow before some football playoffs. Hope anyone that heads out tonight has a good time. Any advice/tips from others on if some colors are really good this set or some really good cards?

They should print Daze into Modern.

Looking forward to hitting up the prerelease tomorrow before some football playoffs. Hope anyone that heads out tonight has a good time. Any advice/tips from others on if some colors are really good this set or some really good cards?

Black is sweet, but play whatever has the highest power in your pool and your mana fixing allows. Outside of green the colors are all pretty good.

Toxi

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";192341300]They should print Daze into Modern.[/QUOTE]
This is the most terrifying thing I have read in this thread.

Qvoth

Are all the ogw cards revealed already? Thinking of trying out forge on my android
Any deck recommendations for something simple? My only magic experience was a red deck on cockatrice years ago lol

It's always been stupid, they just didn't realize for forever how stupid it was or the kind of negative influences it had on the format (tapped out? you lose!)

Worst then tapped out. If you Mana up for a path, they can tap it during the endstep. You need 2 Mana to beat it reliably.

kirblar

Are all the ogw cards revealed already? Thinking of trying out forge on my android
Any deck recommendations for something simple? My only magic experience was a red deck on cockatrice years ago lol
Yeah, Mythicspoiler.com has em all, as do all the other sites.
Worst then tapped out. If you Mana up for a path, they can tap it during the endstep. You need 2 Mana to beat it reliably.
Yup. It innately broke the turn 4 rule.

If that's your only Magic experience, then you should attend a prerelease this weekend, or play Magic Duels. That will also give you more experience with other deck types.

Wulfric

If you open it in Limited, you can play it.

Awesome, playing a legacy staple at prerelease would be hilarious. Although I can't imagine Wasteland being that good outside of blowing up <> mana sources.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm going to miss making Eldrazi Scions every game. Those were some GOAT chump blockers/mana dorks.

Qvoth

If that's your only Magic experience, then you should attend a prerelease this weekend, or play Magic Duels. That will also give you more experience with other deck types.
Ehhh I'm only going to play casually anyway, and forge is mainly single player afaik

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";192341300]They should print Daze into Modern.

Black is sweet, but play whatever has the highest power in your pool and your mana fixing allows. Outside of green the colors are all pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I thought black looked pretty solid too. Thanks man

Angry Grimace

I....don't really care if Twin is banned. I can play Grixis Control and nothing else in the deck other than Exarch loses much value.

kirblar

I....don't really care if Twin is banned. I can play Grixis Control and nothing else in the deck other than Exarch loses much value.
This is pretty much exactly why it was getting banned, the deck was just "oh heres Vault/Key in the middle of our tempo/control deck" now.

OnPoint

Dang. I wish it was a barter - take something away, put something back.

So URx still gets played. Does Amulet still get played even though it'll be less consistent?

Daedardus

Ah well guess I'll rebuild into Grixis Control. Sucks a bit because I just wanted to play UR and I just bought some staples for it. I deemed it unlikely of a ban because it doesn't really pick up the tournament results it used to and many complaints people have are the same or worse for other decks. Infect can pull of even cheaper shit. We'll have to see how the metagame reacts though.

Wulfric

The thread is still linkable: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/416hjw/in_the_current_mtgo_beta_splinter_twin_and_summer/

Splinter Twin and Summer Bloom aren't modern legal in the current MTGO beta and the thread gets taken off the front page of the subreddit? Very curious. That would put affinity and tron in a favorable position for the Pro Tour. Hope the pros haven't started deckbuiliding yet, seems like there will some sort of shakeup, at least.

It's confirmed folks: http://magic.wizards.com/en/article...banned-and-restricted-announcement-2016-01-18

Announcement Date: January 18, 2016

Effective Date: January 22, 2016

Magic Online Effective Date: January 27, 2016

Modern:

Summer Bloom is banned.

Splinter Twin is banned.

Pauper:

Cloud of Faeries is banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom