• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Why ? Resell value ? Several mythics suck

Until you know the difference between your Inverters of Truth and Kozilek's Returns, it's best to take the mythic. You will forever hate yourself if you pass say, a Wasteland because Sylvan Advocate looked really sweet. This is advice for new players only. Obviously, as you get to know the cards, it does change.

But not the Fritos thing.

If you happen to see a card named Wasteland, take it and ship it to me. I'll reward you handsomely. PM me for details.

But he's going to want money, not a disturbing interpretive dance.

Until you know the difference between your Inverters of Truth and Kozilek's Returns, it's best to take the mythic. You will forever hate yourself if you pass say, a Wasteland because Sylvan Advocate looked really sweet. This is advice for new players only. Obviously, as you get to know the cards, it does change..
Alright, I guess it's a safe bet yeah. I count like 2 suckish mythics in OGW and 2 or 3 in BFZ. For draft that is.

Haines

Banned
"Don't worry about the cost of cards, just pay everytime you want to play."

I just sell everyhting worth money and generally recoup a lot of it. Your point is valid but draft here is 12 bucks a week. It would take 10 drafts for me to spend 120 not accounting for money back in any cards worth selling.

bigkrev

Stony Silence is you next Modern spike!

It's doubled in price overnight and copies are vanishing. Was 6ish dollars yesterday, now it's 14

BW cohort might be my favourite archetype going forward

kkMdumG.png

I feel most cohort effects fucking blow, only some uncos and rares are good at it. Tapping two creatures for 2 damage is ehh, unless you play full defensive and only use it at the opponent's end of turn I guess ?

I feel most cohort effects fucking blow, only some uncos and rares are good at it. Tapping two creatures for 2 damage is ehh, unless you play full defensive and only use it at the opponent's end of turn I guess ?

in that draft I "got" a Makindi patrol that gives allies vigilance so they could attack then tap to tap down opposing creatures.
Otherwise hyper defensive + couple removal

Ever since i started playing magic with bfz black white seemed the coolest

thought so too but never actually got to draft it.

The draftsim at least doesn't have anyone draft it at all. It's really easy to get 3 or 4 of the lose 2 life guys even very late.

Haines

Banned
Would those draft simulators be better now that ogw is out. It felt wrong prior to release, like so many same cards over and over or something.

Also, i thought people liked cockatrice, but someone at sealed was telling me xmage was where everone was.

Oh and someone there had 23/25 exhibitions, and i mean had them, in a binder , right there,

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Its the same cost every time and you'll recoup some of it with the cards you get / packs you win. It's definitely a better cost proposal than the main constructed formats. It's not really cost efficient on MTGO because in real life I can draft 8-4's for $5 less and the physical cards are worth way more. Have gone long periods of time without having to pay anything because of money rares + winning packs.

And yeah modern has become everything it was intended to solve. There is nothing modern anymore about playing with 12 year old cards.
I'm gonna laugh when all of this results in Extended being reinstated

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Should have seen Stony Silence coming. It's good against Affinity and Tron (although not backbreaking against either).

I like this.
It's very hard to win through an unanswered Stony Silence for either. Harder than Blood Moon at the very least.

y2dvd

Another advice when drafting, be wary of taking gold cards as first pick. It is a harder commitment than a one color card that can be easily splashed for if going into other colors.

It's very hard to win through an unanswered Stony Silence for either. Harder than Blood Moon at the very least.

Tron likes that Map and O-Stone, but it has ways to function without either and generally packs enchantment removal post-board. It certainly is a bigger deal against Affinity, and really it comes down to what kind of draw the Affinity player had.

Firemind

Another advice when drafting, be wary of taking gold cards as first pick. It is a harder commitment than a one color card that can be easily splashed for if going into other colors.
if you don't p1p1 cruel ultimatum, you're not a true wizard.

OnPoint

I'm gonna laugh when all of this results in Extended being reinstated

I never understood why they didn't just rotate out older sets after a while. It would help keep the format fresh and prevent the availability issue we're having. Make it sets within the last 10 years and be done with it. Making Modern "eternal" was a mistake without a decent reprint strategy in place.

ultron87

I wouldn't be up in arms if they did pods of ten so that 4 people who would otherwise be not playing got to draft, but 8 is the way to go when possible.

Though I always find it weird when stores fire all their drafts on Friday at once anyway. Why not just fire them as they fill up?

Haines

Banned
8 is always the optimal number.

K i thought so.

I got stuck doing 6 man drafts and they felt gross. And store my buddy goes to is always 20 people and barely i mean barely fits them in.

Another store does 2 pods of 8 but its tables must be fir table top games. They have others but those are for constructed at same time,

So i think ill settle for the table top size tables and hopefully people just arent afraid to push mats in to centre a touch

I wouldn't be up in arms if they did pods of ten so that 4 people who would otherwise be not playing got to draft, but 8 is the way to go when possible.

Though I always find it weird when stores fire all their drafts on Friday at once anyway. Why not just fire them as they fill up?

With 20, I'd rather do two pods of 6 and one of 8 rather than two of 10, but that's just my opinion.

Yeef

Draft is designed in developed with 8-man pods in mind. Going up and down will change the way the draft plays out in different ways.

Fewer people and the average power level of decks will typically go down since you get to see fewer unique packs and everyone has to stretch to stay in-color.

More people and the drafting portion of the event becomes diluted. The more people in a pod, the longer it takes for a pack to wheel (go around the table and come back to you) and the harder it is to get specific cards to wheel. In an 8-man draft, you'll get to see 6 of the 8 packs at least twice. As the number.

Increasing the number in the pod also increases the odds that someone else is in your archetype. It's not uncommon, in smaller pods, for gold cards to wheel, so sometimes the right decision is to not take that powerful gold card in your colors since it'll come back to you anyway. More players means both that you have less chances to wheel cards and greater odds that someone else is in your colors.

Angry Grimace

Tron likes that Map and O-Stone, but it has ways to function without either and generally packs enchantment removal post-board. It certainly is a bigger deal against Affinity, and really it comes down to what kind of draw the Affinity player had.

The card works really well against Tron unless they happen to answer it, but the reality is that there are very few sideboard options that have literally no answer.

Haines

Banned

Draft is designed in developed with 8-man pods in mind. Going up and down will change the way the draft plays out in different ways.

Fewer people and the average power level of decks will typically go down since you get to see fewer unique packs and everyone has to stretch to stay in-color.

More people and the drafting portion of the event becomes diluted. The more people in a pod, the longer it takes for a pack to wheel (go around the table and come back to you) and the harder it is to get specific cards to wheel. In an 8-man draft, you'll get to see 6 of the 8 packs at least twice. As the number.

Increasing the number in the pod also increases the odds that someone else is in your archetype. It's not uncommon, in smaller pods, for gold cards to wheel, so sometimes the right decision is to not take that powerful gold card in your colors since it'll come back to you anyway. More players means both that you have less chances to wheel cards and greater odds that someone else is in your colors.

Yeah, i tried to explain to my firend that i believe the store should just do 2 pods of 8 on fmn and do another draft maybe a pod of 8 on another day or timeslot with some nice store prize. Honestly the room is really not big enough for 20 people either.

Also 3 rounds is nicer than 4 imo.

I feel like its just greed on the store owners part but what do i know.

The reason i always go through the hassle of a playmat is to fight off others edging my space, i really cant stand when people throw shit in my space when im playing

Gain 2, draw 1 lose 1 and tap target creature allies are all amazing. The 2 damage one would be amazing if it weren't on a 4-mana 4/2 which is pretty garbage.

You have to understand that this is White's reach in an aggro deck for ogw draft. All the cohort abilities have overperformed in the white/x aggro decks I've been drafting. Especially if you can get the vigilance trigger guy from bfz. He's the key common you look for in pack 3.

They are going back to best of 5 for PT T8. Quarterfinals will be played 2 at a time, while semis will be played one at a time

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/pro-tour-top-8-best-five-matches-return-2016-01-19
But I enjoyed half of pt bfz being decided on nongames and mulls to 5! Damn you wizards!

Angry Grimace

I mean, I guess Rule of Law is a straight up win against Storm.

Speaking of Tron, Karn is Sixty Two US dollars.

ultron87

I got mine from a New Phyrexia booster pack that was hidden behind some other packs on a Meijer rack at some point in 2013. I'm a financial genius.

Firemind

Well, yeah? I opened Tezzeret at the MM2 GP and went day two with it.

And in the first draft I saw the guy at the right open a foil Goyf.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, obviously, a single Karn isn't doing any of us any good. We should do like, a commune thing and pool our resources. For the good of us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom