• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

I bought a fat pack of Oath on a whim (mostly for the lands), ended up with a Mana Confluence, Kozilek's Return and Linvala, as well as a second Thought-Knot Seer, a Reality Smasher, a Matter Reshaper, a Eldrazi Displacer and a foil Eldrazi Displacer. Pretty good for a fat pack I'd say.

Like a dream. Mine were not so good. I ended up with three (count em, three!) of the BG manland.

If you wanna unload that foil Displacer and/or your Thought-Knot though, let's talk. I'm interested :)

OnPoint

Wall of Omens is $6? We have officially reached insanity.

Sorry for the double post. But since we're officially in Crazytown now I thought it was ok.

Haines

Banned
Just checking, nobody on here lives around london, ontario right?

I just figured id check bc when i open stuff like thought knot seers i could give it to you guys at a better price than online or w,e

Eye of Ugin is going to save your more mana and doesn't require a life payment. It also lets you drop big dudes ridiculously early or lots of smaller dudes faster than your opponent can keep up.

and it forces you into an archetype early on that might be contested, only ramps your creatures, most likely not even all of them and doesn't tap for colour nor colourless.

OnPoint

Eye of Ugin is going to save your more mana and doesn't require a life payment. It also lets you drop big dudes ridiculously early or lots of smaller dudes faster than your opponent can keep up.

Requiring the playing of Eldrazi vs flexibility paid for in life.

It's really a toss up, depending on what you draft.

Joe Molotov

Sorry for the double post. But since we're officially in Crazytown now I thought it was ok.

I like the flavor text:

"I search for a vision of Zendikar that does not include the Eldrazi." —Expedition journal entry

Seems relevant.

An-Det

I wonder if that's based on stuff like the modern results from yesterday. At least based on that top field I could see a uwr control deck emerging again.

I wonder if that's based on stuff like the modern results from yesterday. At least based on that top field I could see a uwr control deck emerging again.
Modern UWR Flash is the saddest of all tournament-winning control decks. It was the first real Modern deck I wanted to try, and all I could think of even back then was how garbage all the cards are.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Best Powerpuff Girl for sure.

No that was Buttercup, obv
Image.ashx

y2dvd

Purely from a competitive perspective in limited, Ancient Tomb is probably the best expedition you could hope to open. I would pick that over several cards regardless of monetary value. Ramping is so good, especially in sealed where it's slower. I just took Mana Confluence due to $$ lol.

Damn. Flagstones of Trokair shot up, just like someone here predicted a few days ago. TCG Mid is $27 now, and it was only about 14-15 last week. Wish I had been able to justify buying more than 2.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
LSV practically blew a load reviewing the colorless cards and lands.
KuGsj.gif

Ashodin

the colorless cards are so fucking good. like in a league of their own.

Thought-Knot Seer and 5/5 trample/hastey guy are fucking amazing

OnPoint

This is why I'm so mad about my Thought-Knot order getting cancelled. I know that's gonna be a staple and I got it cheap, only to have it ripped away. So salty still lol

Haines

Banned
the colorless cards are so fucking good. like in a league of their own.

Thought-Knot Seer and 5/5 trample/hastey guy are fucking amazing

Yep, but they had to be so that colorless makes a name for itself. Big dumb eldrazi in bfz wasnt that cool

Im absolutely in love with colorless this set but ill be ignoring them in draft so that everyone else can fight over it and make there decks less consistent when they get no sources

OnPoint

Chas on SCG said he wonders if Eternal Masters, if real, might point toward them creating a new format called Eternal that is like legacy, but does NOT include anything on the reserved list. He also said it's too early for speculation.

What do we think the odds of this are?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I would cry tears of purest blood if they replaced Modern and Legacy with "Eternal." Because none of my decks would then be viable. Force of Will would jump to Gofy prices. Goyfs would jump to Goyf prices. Wall of Omens would jump to 6 dollars. Madness would reign supreme.

kirblar

Chas on SCG said he wonders if Eternal Masters, if real, might point toward them creating a new format called Eternal that is like legacy, but does NOT include anything on the reserved list. He also said it's too early for speculation.

I don't think it likely. It hurts Modern AND Legacy with no real upside.

I'm gonna have an extra set of (Chinese) Kozilek's Returns if anyone's interested (reposting for new page)

bigkrev

It's such an impractical idea. How do you even do it- just have a banlist that's 500 cards long? The only way I could see it working is if they made a new format that starts with Masques block (the first set to not have any cards on the reserved list), and even then, it's just Modern with 4 added blocks (Masques, Invasion, Odyssey, Onslaught), which nobody is asking for.

Yep, but they had to be so that colorless makes a name for itself. Big dumb eldrazi in bfz wasnt that cool

Im absolutely in love with colorless this set but ill be ignoring them in draft so that everyone else can fight over it and make there decks less consistent when they get no sources

I'm all aboard the Cohort train. No one wants to play BW lifedrain for some reason. Also I'm pretty sure if you're going allies you should prepare to splash green for the tajurus

Changing up the format would give that SFM promo a nice slot to fit into in the puzzle of whatever WOTC is up to. I don't think you can really do anything to revive Legacy except burn the reserved list, and why would they reprint those cards in new sets to only be used in such a niche format?

bigkrev

Changing up the format would give that SFM promo a nice slot to fit into in the puzzle of whatever WOTC is up to. I don't think you can really do anything to revive Legacy except burn the reserved list, and why would they reprint those cards in new sets to only be used in such a niche format?

There are some other quirks to the reserved list. They can never print a 1WW 2/2 Flying, First Strike creature (something that sounds like a perfectly fine limited card), because Thunder Spirit is on the list, and the list prevents them from making functionally identical cards. They can never do a 4UU 3/4 Flying, Shroud because Zephid is on the list (OK, with the existance of Hexproof this woulnd't happen anyway, but lets think in 2011 terms here).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's just such a no-win situation for them. The Reserved List is a straight-up tumor.

People want to play with cards like JTMS and Stoneforge Mystic but the reality is that its not viable to run a less restrictive ban list in Modern without Force of Will around because Force of Will is the glue that prevents dumb combos from dominating formats, but printing Force of Will into Modern is such a horrible idea because it's not only the defining card of Legacy, it would warp Modern in a way no other card ever could hope to do. I can't say I know what Modern would look like if you added Force to it, I just know it wouldst' look anything like what it looks like right now.

G.ZZZ

They could still print something worse, but in line with the T4 phylosophy of modern, like:

Intellectual Mistake 1UU
Instant
Counter target spell with converted mana cost 3 or less.
You may pay 5 life instead of paying for Intellectual Mistake mana cost.
Liberalism is a lie propagated by poor people to hate on those who honestly earned their billion dollars

At five life is basically only an emergency button vs stupid combos, and kill them all, while keeping aggro basically unchanged cause 5 life is just not worth against aggro cards unless you counter a KotR i guess, or some pump spell from infect which is a stupid deck anyway.

I used to think Misstep could be the policeman for Modern, but after playing it a bit there's no single combo deck i can think of which rely a lot on 1 cmc cards. It would however still slow down the format and decks which rely on 1cmc cards a lot would drop a significantly in power : tron, infect, most aggro lists, including Burn (remember you can easily cast misstep for U and 2 life is still worth to counter a goblin guide).
Decks with no significant 1-drops or which run MM perfectly would gain from it in relative position: cascade, most midrangey decks (abzans/mardu/sultai/jund lists ), affinity, Scapeshift, Eldrazi, Grixis Control. I'd still like to see it in modern to make the format feel a bit more interactive .

y2dvd

I'm still surprised Warping Wail is being slept on in Ramp decks. Made a similar list before, but let's revisit! Here's the latest top 8 results from the SCG Open. Warping Wail can either exile the creature or counter the follwing spells:

1. Atarka Red
Abbot of Keral Keep
Monastery Swiftspear
Reckless Bushwhacker
Dragon Fodder
Hordeling Outburst

Sure, the prowess creatures may grow outta range, but getting them when they are tapped out or forcing them to play a spell to save it can be big. Reckless Bushwacker gets hit regardless. Dragon Fodder/Hordeling Outburst is a bunch of bodies not hitting the battlefield.

2. R/G Ramp
Leaf Gilder
Rattleclaw Mystic
Explosive Vegetation
Nissa's Pilgrimage
Nissa's Renewal

WW hits all of ramp's accelleration spells except Hedron Archive. (it doesn't hit morphed Rattleclaw)

3. Jeskai Black
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Wandering Fumarole
Duress
Magmatic Insight
Painful Truths
Roast
Treasure Cruise
Infinite Obliteration

WW doesn't hit many creatures, but it can counter Infinite Obliteration which is huge. Them looping Obliteration feels bad mang. Countering Treasure Cruise is pretty sweet too.

4. Abzan Company
Warden of the First Tree
Duress
Infinite Obliteration

WW misses a lot of targets vs this deck, but eh it hits Obliteration and you can just use the scion mode to chump or ramp.

5. R/B Dragons
Hangarback Walker (possibly)
Duress
Hordeling Outburst
Roast
Transgress the Mind

Roast hits Thought-Knot and our mana dorks, and Transgress the Mind would be great to counter.

6. U/R Prowess
Abbot of Keral Keep
Monastery Swiftspear
Stormchaser Mage
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Wandering Fumarole
Roast
Slip Through Space
Treasure Cruise
Duress
Painful Truths

So many targets to hit. Same with all prowess creatures - they can grow outta range, but hopefully you can get them when they are tapped out, or force them to spend a spell at an unideal time to save it.

7. Five-Color Bring to Light
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Bring to Light
Duress
Languish
Treasure Cruise
Painful Truths

8. Abzan Blue
Warden of the First Tree
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Exert Influence
Painful Truths

Bonus. Four-Color Rally
Fleshbag Marauder
Zulaport Cutthroat

WW doesn't do much for this deck, but exiling Cutthroat is a huge upside. Probably will use the scion mode more than anything else.

I need to test more games, but Warping Wail just seems so versatile for our deck.

Haines

Banned
I'm all aboard the Cohort train. No one wants to play BW lifedrain for some reason. Also I'm pretty sure if you're going allies you should prepare to splash green for the tajurus

Black white board stall def fits my playstyle more, so i will try it for sure. I like control, but im not good enough at magic to really anchor into blue stuff, and agro has never been my thing.

going to draft friday. Im curious how lomg people draft this set. Seemed bfz fell off pretty hard and this has 1 pack of it.

Found this thread about that archetype, havent read it yet tho
https://www.reddit.com/r/lrcast/comments/42ekeo/thoughts_on_bw_cohort_lifegain/

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm still surprised Warping Wail is being slept on in Ramp decks. Made a similar list before, but let's revisit! Here's the latest top 8 results from the SCG Open. Warping Wail can either exile the creature or counter the follwing spells:

1. Atarka Red
Abbot of Keral Keep
Monastery Swiftspear
Reckless Bushwhacker
Dragon Fodder
Hordeling Outburst

Sure, the prowess creatures may grow outta range, but getting them when they are tapped out or forcing them to play a spell to save it can be big. Reckless Bushwacker gets hit regardless. Dragon Fodder/Hordeling Outburst is a bunch of bodies not hitting the battlefield.

2. R/G Ramp
Leaf Gilder
Rattleclaw Mystic
Explosive Vegetation
Nissa's Pilgrimage
Nissa's Renewal

WW hits all of ramp's accelleration spells except Hedron Archive. (it doesn't hit morphed Rattleclaw)

3. Jeskai Black
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Wandering Fumarole
Duress
Magmatic Insight
Painful Truths
Roast
Treasure Cruise
Infinite Obliteration

WW doesn't hit many creatures, but it can counter Infinite Obliteration which is huge. Them looping Obliteration feels bad mang. Countering Treasure Cruise is pretty sweet too.

4. Abzan Company
Warden of the First Tree
Duress
Infinite Obliteration

WW misses a lot of targets vs this deck, but eh it hits Obliteration and you can just use the scion mode to chump or ramp.

5. R/B Dragons
Duress
Hordeling Outburst
Roast
Transgress the Mind

Roast hits Thought-Knot and our mana dorks, and Transgress the Mind would be great to counter.

6. U/R Prowess
Abbot of Keral Keep
Monastery Swiftspear
Stormchaser Mage
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Wandering Fumarole
Roast
Slip Through Space
Treasure Cruise
Duress
Painful Truths

So many targets to hit. Same with all prowess creatures - they can grow outta range, but hopefully you can get them when they are tapped out, or force them to spend a spell at an unideal time to save it.

Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Bring to Light
Duress
Languish
Treasure Cruise
Painful Truths

8. Abzan Blue
Warden of the First Tree
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Exert Influence
Painful Truths

Bonus. Four-Color Rally
Fleshbag Marauder
Zulaport Cutthroat

WW doesn't do much for this deck, but exiling Cutthroat is a huge upside. Probably will use the scion mode more than anything else.

I need to test more games, but Warping Wail just seems so versatile for our deck.

The only downside is that ramp doesn't want to leave mana untapped ever; then once you're over 6 or 7 mana, the game is usually going to be over unless you're against another ramp / control deck, which WW doesn't deal well with.

edit: maybe on the draw? even then, i think all mana should be focused on ramping. all the interaction this deck wants is eldrazi triggers and board wipes.

Angry Grimace

1. Atarka Red
Abbot of Keral Keep
Monastery Swiftspear
Reckless Bushwhacker
Dragon Fodder
Hordeling Outburst

2. R/G Ramp
Leaf Gilder
Rattleclaw Mystic
Explosive Vegetation
Nissa's Pilgrimage
Nissa's Renewal

3. Jeskai Black
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Wandering Fumarole
Duress
Magmatic Insight
Painful Truths
Roast
Treasure Cruise
Infinite Obliteration

4. Abzan Company
Warden of the First Tree
Duress
Infinite Obliteration

5. R/B Dragons
Duress
Hordeling Outburst
Roast
Transgress the Mind

6. U/R Prowess
Abbot of Keral Keep
Monastery Swiftspear
Stormchaser Mage
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Wandering Fumarole
Roast
Slip Through Space
Treasure Cruise
Duress
Painful Truths

Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Bring to Light
Duress
Languish
Treasure Cruise
Painful Truths

8. Abzan Blue
Warden of the First Tree
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Exert Influence
Painful Truths

Bonus. Four-Color Rally
Fleshbag Marauder
Zulaport Cutthroat

Infinite Obliteration is no longer a particularly good card against Ramp, really. The threat density is simply too high for it to be a relevant play unless you know for a fact they have 2 World Breakers in their hand or something.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";193267760]Kozilek's Return[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my edit kind of addressed that. Kozilek's Return is way too good.

Angry Grimace

I like Infinite Obliteration a lot more as a way to just get rid of Nantuko Husk and make the Rally deck try to win fairly, which it mostly can't since its a pretty linear deck outside of bullshit that's enabled by having a free sac outlet.

It's not even close to as funny as just casting Hallowed Moonlight and looking your opponent right in the eye as you do it.

Rally has access to Ayli as a sac outlet now, not nearly as good but she suffices and Reflector Mage also helps making the coast clear for the conventional way. Rally vs Rally with Hallowed moonlight was interesting to watch.

Between Eldrazi Mimic, Matter Reshaper and Cloudform, there's someone in R&D that really likes Stiflenaut.
I like Infinite Obliteration a lot more as a way to just get rid of Nantuko Husk and make the Rally deck try to win fairly, which it mostly can't since its a pretty linear deck outside of bullshit that's enabled by having a free sac outlet.
I just use it as a surgical extraction.

The only advantage I could see to the hypothetical "Eternal" format is that they could print new cards directly into it like they did with Legacy, without disrupting Standard.

So tonight my modern G/W deck beat Infect, Living End, and Gifts Reanimator. Got crushed by Tron and B/W Eldrazi. What are good sideboard cards against those decks?

kirblar

JTMS and Tarmogoyf are obvious Mythics for an E. Masters set. Maybe Liliana if they just want to get more copies out there ASAP, even though she's a stretch. (played much more in Modern.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom